The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 April 2020, 07:18 AM   #1
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Apple Watch and Rolex

With the 5 year anniversary of the Apple Watch coming up tomorrow, Hodinkee had a great article today about the impact of the Apple Watch.

Here is a link to the article definitely worth a read: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ap...th-anniversary.

I wanted to put forward the thought that the Apple Watch had a lot to do with the current demand increase in SS Rolex models. As the article points out the Apple Watch got people interested people in watches, and I would say acted somewhat as a gateway to the world of mechanical watches.

As many have pointed out on this forum, before 2016-2017 you could go into an AD and get a Submariner or Submariner Date or Explorer or other currently in demand SS sports model with little to no wait. As the Apple Watch got more popular during this time, it got people into watches and started getting people interested in the luxury pieces.

Happy to hear what people thing about this.

Just a couple points from the article:

"It turned an insignificant, geek-watch sideshow into the fastest-growing segment of the watch world. It has dominated and disrupted the mass-market segment of the traditional watch industry. And, love it or hate it, the Apple Watch has put "watches" on the wrists of millions of people who never wore one before"; and

"Overall, Swiss exports of watches in 2019 were up year-over-year for the third year in a row, according to figures from the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry (FH), with growth particularly strong for watches priced over CHF 3,000. So, while the Apple Watch might be taking some sales away from the quartz-powered fashion watches that operate in competitive price points, it doesn't seem to be driving anyone away from the mechanical watches that we all love."
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The Apple Watch is not a competitor for Rolex, at all.

As the article states, many/most of these are turning up on the wrist of those who have never worn a wrist watch before. It's become a status thing in the techno world.

I have a daughter who is a college professor. She won't wear her Rolex because of what her fellows might say, but she will flaunt her Apple Watch and Iphone all day..
Old 24 April 2020, 07:58 AM   #3
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
I don’t think anyone would say but it got people who may not have been interested in watches, now being interested and that increased the interest in Rolex and other high end watches.
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 09:50 AM   #4
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Not my cup of tea will stick with my Rolexes
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 09:55 AM   #5
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
I have an Apple Watch Series 4. Use it only for working out. It’s great for that; I’d hate wearing it as a daily watch.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 01:15 PM   #6
lkngshrp
"TRF" Member

This ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior_ View Post
I have an Apple Watch Series 4. Use it only for working out. It’s great for that; I’d hate wearing it as a daily watch.
Exactly this. Oh, and I use it as an alarm clock. A very expensive alarm clock.
lkngshrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 02:06 PM   #7
salt&pepper
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP2
For me my Apple "watch" acts as an information dashboard for my other apple devices.
It's a nice management interface with several watch faces.
salt&pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 02:10 PM   #8
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

I bought the 1st Apple Watch because it was great for people with disabilities like myself. A year later they made "Hey Siri" available on the phone and I was pissed. I went back to wearing mechanical watches and haven't looked back. Saved for my SubC and she hasn't left my wrist since last year! Precise machinery impresses me!
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 07:34 PM   #9
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

I use my Apple watch for working out. That's it! Otherwise it's my Sub.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 03:19 AM   #10
BSG75
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SPGN029
I would agree that the Apple Watch and Rolex are not direct competitors, different markets and different uses. However, I would say that the Apple Watch is the “Rolex of the Smartwatch World.”
BSG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 07:35 PM   #11
joe123
"TRF" Member

I guess the Apple Watch had the same effect on watches as the iPhone had on cameras.

Before iPhones, most people had a compact camera, plus a phone. iPhones (and other smartphones) got soo good that it completely erased the camera market, except high-end cameras, vintage cameras and such. It probably even made those more interesting, as you can publish your photography on instagram and can practice with your phone all the time.

I'd assume the Apple Watch could have a similar effect. Who wants to buy a Fossil watch anymore? A Casio or Swatch, or a Tissot. That's the target group for Apple Watch people. And people who get into the whole watch thing, who like to swap straps and bracelets on their Apple watch, change watch faces and complications might actually get interested in mechanical watches. But probably only the most classic brands will survive.
joe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 11:48 PM   #12
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
How can compare Apple to Rolex?
Like comm'on :)
Old 22 June 2021, 12:00 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have both, I use both, I like both
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 12:15 AM   #14
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
I gave the apple watch a fair shake tried it for a few weeks and just had no use for it whatsoever. Good thing was I threw it up on ebay and only lost $50 on it was surprised how much a used one was worth
PhilLynott is offline   Reply With Quote