The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 April 2024, 02:02 AM   #1
Patekfinder
Banned

Patek’s Quiet Downgrading of the new Nautilus and Aquanaut

Both the Aquanaut and Nautilus, in all variants and metals, were 120m water resistance. Patek’s newest releases of the Nautilus and Aquanaut are now just 30m water resistant. I use my 5168 blue Aquanaut during diving, with the confidence it can handle the deepest depths of any recreational dive (100 ft). Now, Patek has verified their intentions for their sports watches to be absolute jewelry and just a hunch of Calatravas on a bracelet. They have guaranteed that it is not a requirement to own a real, capable sports watch from either another manufacture or a previous generation Patek, because what they’re producing now simply cannot be considered a sports watch any longer.

Go check the updated Patek website to see…. 30 fricken meters now. It is ridiculous.
Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 02:09 AM   #2
myk7000
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
I have to say, part of me is glad they are doing this though... The 30m rating has been probably one of the most laughable statements in the industry, given plenty of watches can't take 2 seconds submerged in 1m of water without total destruction.

Patek is one of, if not the top, leader in the industry so if they are going to start proclaiming a true WR, then I just hope others will follow suit and we'll start to have an actual understanding of water resistance and not let it be just a guessing game.
myk7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 02:21 AM   #3
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Firstly, I’m pretty sure nothing has been downgraded. They just write 30m for the sake of it, and now it truly is 30m, as opposed to “10m is only for hand washing”. They say now you really can take it to those depths for swimming or diving.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 02:24 AM   #4
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
Firstly, I’m pretty sure nothing has been downgraded. They just write 30m for the sake of it, and now it truly is 30m, as opposed to “10m is only for hand washing”. They say now you really can take it to those depths for swimming or diving.

Jumping into a pool can create more force than 30m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 02:26 AM   #5
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk7000 View Post
I have to say, part of me is glad they are doing this though... The 30m rating has been probably one of the most laughable statements in the industry, given plenty of watches can't take 2 seconds submerged in 1m of water without total destruction.

Patek is one of, if not the top, leader in the industry so if they are going to start proclaiming a true WR, then I just hope others will follow suit and we'll start to have an actual understanding of water resistance and not let it be just a guessing game.

Wait. If 30m was laughable what was 120m?
Bottom line, if you want a water watch PP is not your move.

Old 15 April 2024, 03:10 AM   #6
masochistsr
"TRF" Member

Are the previous Nautilus and Aquanauts with 120m better than the new ones with 30m? Or is Patek saying everything past, present, and future is 30m?
masochistsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 03:13 AM   #7
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
Do we know why this has happened?
Old 15 April 2024, 03:21 AM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

First of all it not quietly done since it’s a press release and secondly OP you seem to misunderstood the announcement.

Nothing is being downgraded regarding the watches. Patek have switched to a 30m number for all water resistant watches due to the way they are now tested. They are now saying any watch within its service parameters is swimable if it is rated 30m. I have asked and I can swim in my 5370. They have switched to testing and certifying sports pieces with crowns unscrewed and hence the change - the rationale being that they can’t ensure a user tightens the crown but they can guarantee it is swimmable even with the crown unscrewed. If you screw in the crown then the rating goes up considerably but they have stopped quoting that figure since they can’t control the user. New 5 year warranty also announced and I’m assured it’s backed dated to 1st May 2023 despite what the press release says, new paper work will follow to all owners who have purchased after 1st May 2023.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 03:23 AM   #9
HughBlogh
"TRF" Member

While it does seem kinda goofy that a ‘sports’ watch would be only 30m water resistant, how many are actually doing more than surface swimming with an Aquanaut or a Nautilus?
HughBlogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 03:26 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
That is disappointing and a deal breaker.
This must be a typo.

Just checked Patek’s website (5811/5990/5712). It doesn’t make sense, existing models have changed their depth rating very strange move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
First of all it not quietly done since it’s a press release and secondly OP you seem to misunderstood the announcement.

Nothing is being downgraded regarding the watches. Patek have switched to a 30m number for all water resistant watches due to the way they are now tested. They are now saying any watch within its service parameters is swimable if it is rated 30m. I have asked and I can swim in my 5370. They have switched to testing and certifying sports pieces with crowns unscrewed and hence the change - the rationale being that they can’t ensure a user tightens the crown but they can guarantee it is swimmable even with the crown unscrewed. If you screw in the crown then the rating goes up considerably but they have stopped quoting that figure since they can’t control the user. New 5 year warranty also announced and I’m assured it’s backed dated to 1st May 2023 despite what the press release says, new paper work will follow to all owners who have purchased after 1st May 2023.
Thanks for clarification Russel.
Doesn’t make me ok w it. Bringing the public into what should be back room concerns.
Old 15 April 2024, 03:28 AM   #11
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Has it been confirmed that new paperwork will be delivered?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 03:41 AM   #12
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have asked and I can swim in my 5370.
The reply from Patek was you can swim in your 5370?
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 04:25 AM   #13
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Okay okay okay tell me this.

Can I take my Aquanaut (will arrive in december) to the pool and in the ocean for a swim? All i need to know. lol
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 04:31 AM   #14
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdoyouwant? View Post
The reply from Patek was you can swim in your 5370?
If that is the case, all of their dress watches (minus minute repeaters) should come with rubber strap alternatives.

Sounds disingenuous. I certainly would not put any faith in a verbal reply.

A salesperson at AP once told me that he would not recommend going into a steam room with a 50m WR RO jumbo.
Old 15 April 2024, 05:04 AM   #15
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I know my watches are safe because I have been in pools and the ocean with them (meaning Nautilus) but I would be lying if I said this didn’t bother me. For all the crap going on with buying watches these days I think I’ll stick with Rolex for a while. At least I know that they are trucks and tested to more than their advertised depths and stamina as opposed to less. It’s like saying your car brakes will work at 100mph but we only test to 55.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 06:57 AM   #16
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Wait. If 30m was laughable what was 120m?
Bottom line, if you want a water watch PP is not your move.

Perhaps they should reconsider their water-themed branding of the Nautilus and AQUAnaut.

The Landilus and Landnaut.
Old 15 April 2024, 06:58 AM   #17
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:

So the reason for the much lower WR rating is to get out of having to repair watches under the new 5 year warranty. Actually makes total sense and most people lined up to buy these watches won’t care about the WR rating.

Old 15 April 2024, 07:03 AM   #18
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughBlogh View Post
While it does seem kinda goofy that a ‘sports’ watch would be only 30m water resistant, how many are actually doing more than surface swimming with an Aquanaut or a Nautilus?

I go wind surfing with my Aquanaut. Sometimes I am exceeding 25 mph and will go in the water at high speed. While the depths are shallow, the force hitting the water is high and the extra WR rating is critical.

Patek with their new 30m WR is basically saying “we dramatically lowered the rating so we don’t have to repair your watch under warranty.”

Guaranteed you’re going to see a lot of posts on here in the coming years about guys having denial of warranty service/repair by Patek because of this.

It is a joke.

Old 15 April 2024, 07:05 AM   #19
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Okay okay okay tell me this.

Can I take my Aquanaut (will arrive in december) to the pool and in the ocean for a swim? All i need to know. lol

Yes, but just know that if something happens this new 30m WR will allow Patek to cop out of fixing your watch under warranty. Be prepared to fork over significant cash for the impending repair bill for your watch under warranty.

Old 15 April 2024, 08:09 AM   #20
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

I don't know the details of the Aqua/Naut crown stem tube gasket system but I'd like to hear experts explain how with the crown unscrewed anything short of a Rolex Triplock system has 30m WR.
DavidSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 08:34 AM   #21
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Are you saying that the watches' design have been changed to lower the WR? Do you have a source regarding the fact they made a 120m watch become only WR to 30m? This would be very surprising indeed.

I thought they changed the displaying standard to be more close to reality (without changing the WR of the watches)... There are already 2 threads discussing this subject with a lot of interpretations that make them look like assertions.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 08:45 AM   #22
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Jumping into a pool can create more force than 30m

Not so. Minimal force equivalency.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 08:52 AM   #23
edo
"TRF" Member

Where we can find the famous press release or should we call it press hide from Patek?

I didn't see any watch press that posted this?

Same situation when Audemars Piguet changed the monoblock design of the Jumbo, one of the features of the legendary and original Gerald Genta design and never changed any number in the reference or spoke about it... yes, they also had the press release that was seen only by employees and sent to the great unbiased watch media with instruction to not post it...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 08:54 AM   #24
jlv982
2024 Pledge Member

Patek may be at or near the top in watchmaking, but their comms and management team showing pure amateur hour here. Lesson in what not to do….
jlv982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 09:01 AM   #25
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
Perhaps they should reconsider their water-themed branding of the Nautilus and AQUAnaut.

The Landilus and Landnaut.

So funny. And true!

Old 15 April 2024, 09:05 AM   #26
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

This doesn’t make sense to me. I’m not aware of any company that rates its products based on misuse or lack of correct usage by the owner. It would be like a cars safety rating based on assumption the driver won’t wear a seatbelt. Or a firearm assuming that the owner fails to properly engage the trigger safety. Or the owner of a washing machine who fails to close the door and causes the flood. Or medication of which the user takes twice the prescribed amount. Makes no sense.

Old 15 April 2024, 09:07 AM   #27
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
This doesn’t make sense to me. I’m not aware of any company that rates its products based on misuse or lack of correct usage by the owner. It would be like a cars safety rating based on assumption the driver won’t wear a seatbelt. Or a firearm assuming that the owner fails to properly engage the trigger safety. Or the owner of a washing machine who fails to close the door and causes the flood. Or medication of which the user takes twice the prescribed amount. Makes no sense.

There are many well reported cases of watch brands not standing behind a warranty after water intrusion. Many. Omega is famous for this, as they have never upgraded the WR rating on many of their watches beyond 50m. The loss of advertising a depth rating capability does not outweigh the business decision relative to warranty obligations.

This new Patek rating of 30m WR simply enables them to do so easily without issue as well now, and it is no coincidence the 30m WR rating change coincides with their new 5 year warranty offering. This was a business decision and absolutely a discussion within the C-suite and their marketing teams.

Old 15 April 2024, 09:10 AM   #28
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
There are many well reported cases of watch brands not standing behind a warranty after water intrusion. Many.

Of course — that’s obvious and well known.

This new Patek rating of 30m WR simply enables them to do so easily without issue as well now.

Nah not buying this. And that’s because pp could’ve done this anyway by internally assuming 30m but actually representing accurate WR assuming the user actually uses the watch as designed and screwed down the crown. I think they actually mean what they say and the WR has been downgraded to a lame level.

O

Old 15 April 2024, 10:39 AM   #29
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Very lame move
Old 15 April 2024, 11:13 AM   #30
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’m still suspicious about the whole 5 year warranty retroactive to May 2023, given that the press release clearly says May 2024. And it would be inconsistent to do so with the change in water resistance for 120M sport watches.

Why would they give those with 120M watches an extra 4 years when they’d need to warrant that for extra time?
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote