The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 July 2020, 09:49 AM   #91
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Don't know why people go crazy over Bleu, don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful watch. At rrp, it does what it does, a more "affordable" watch for people who want to get into FP Journe. Like a Macan who wants a more affordable/practical Porsche, but it's not right if a Macan is about the same price to a 911 imho.

Anyway, I say CS is a better choice if you can't get a Bleu at retail. The funny thing is I got my Havana a couple of months ago, and it was sitting in my AD's display for months and months..unwanted.

Now I have it on my IG, and my friends have asked me about it. If you look Journe's website, Havana dial is not easy to make and maybe just as rare as Bleu. But to me, a CS carries more Journe's DNA i.e. a power reserve indicator. Also, literally every brand does blue dial but not every brand does Havana/brow/chocolate dial.

Anyway each to its own, at end of the day, you buy what you love.
ialienam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 10:01 AM   #92
kunlun
"TRF" Member

CS is now becoming a little harder, so someone said. If a person would like a CS, now's the time!
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 10:13 AM   #93
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

All of Journe is getting harder now. The public's hype machine is working in full force, and Journe is a small operation (~700/yr). This is going to be rough!
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 11:37 AM   #94
shafran
"TRF" Member

You can't get a cs in rg now from the boutiques. Only on the used market. A well known dealer in Boston is now asking list for a used one.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 11:59 AM   #95
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialienam View Post
Havana dial is not easy to make and maybe just as rare as Bleu. But to me, a CS carries more Journe's DNA i.e. a power reserve indicator. Also, literally every brand does blue dial but not every brand does Havana/brow/chocolate dial.

Anyway each to its own, at end of the day, you buy what you love.
I love that chocolate dial! Also the Holland & Holland ones too. Congrats on your Havana!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:07 PM   #96
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
I love that chocolate dial! Also the Holland & Holland ones too. Congrats on your Havana!

thank you... Ya it's very much under the radar..
ialienam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 09:26 PM   #97
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
What is the list price for a CS in Rose Gold or Platinum? Do the gold dial variant have a higher retail price?
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 11:14 PM   #98
golfinz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider817 View Post
What is the list price for a CS in Rose Gold or Platinum? Do the gold dial variant have a higher retail price?
Plat is more expensive than RG. Glad I got my Pt CS when I did
golfinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 11:41 PM   #99
Lo100169
"TRF" Member

those are the French prices taxes included i got last year for the CS Platinum 40:

Chronomètre Souverain Platine 40mm cadran argent guilloché – 36 000€ TTC
Chronomètre Souverain Platine 40mm cadran en or blanc – 37 100€ TTC

so yes, gold dial is 1100Eur more expensive.
Lo100169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:41 AM   #100
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Was just at my local Journe boutique, didn’t bother asking about the CB, I already know the answer lol. But they had some CS in stock, but mostly in RG which imo aren’t as nice as the plat. Someone here said the CB will be 75-100k in a few years and sadly I agree. Was told they were making about 180 a year and now make about 100. The CB gives Journe the least profit margin because of dial/parts. I would love to own one I just personally wouldn’t pay 2x retail for it, can’t win them all.
Ekwity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:52 PM   #101
shafran
"TRF" Member

Really cs in stock in RG?

I will call to get one.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 01:57 AM   #102
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekwity View Post
Someone here said the CB will be 75-100k in a few years and sadly I agree. Was told they were making about 180 a year and now make about 100. The CB gives Journe the least profit margin because of dial/parts. I would love to own one I just personally wouldn’t pay 2x retail for it, can’t win them all.
Really, $75-100k??? That high? I really don’t think so but perhaps I am missing something. In fact, I think the CB will go down to high $30s. I would guess there are around 2600 (if not more) of these around since 2009 which to me sounds like a high number for it to go that high. I completely understand that when collectors that get them, they tend to keep them.

What I do wonder is what FPJ has in store for its replacement. The brand I would imagine will try the same approach: mega unique, entry level, great size, and simple. This may drop the CB prices down even further if the new reiteration or model is way better. FPJ does tend to top himself! However, CB is one hard model to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 July 2020, 02:10 AM   #103
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Really, $75-100k??? That high? I really don’t think so but perhaps I am missing something. In fact, I think the CB will go down to high $30s. I would guess there are around 2600 (if not more) of these around since 2009 which to me sounds like a high number for it to go that high.

I got mine in August 2018. My serial number is just shy of 1300. My guess is they have produced about 200-300 more pieces since then.
So a lot less than 2600.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 03:12 AM   #104
Bloomberg
"TRF" Member

Mine is between 300 and 350 and was purchased on 2012...
Bloomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 04:49 AM   #105
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really, $75-100k??? That high? I really don’t think so but perhaps I am missing something. In fact, I think the CB will go down to high $30s. I would guess there are around 2600 (if not more) of these around since 2009 which to me sounds like a high number for it to go that high. I completely understand that when collectors that get them, they tend to keep them.

What I do wonder is what FPJ has in store for its replacement. The brand I would imagine will try the same approach: mega unique, entry level, great size, and simple. This may drop the CB prices down even further if the new reiteration or model is way better. FPJ does tend to top himself! However, CB is one hard model to beat.

Look at 5980/1R.. every Tom Dick and Harry owns one I can spot 11 including mine own in a gathering .. still look at the market price! There must be at least 5000 if not more produced.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 06:12 AM   #106
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
I got mine in August 2018. My serial number is just shy of 1300. My guess is they have produced about 200-300 more pieces since then.
So a lot less than 2600.

That’s is a good point. That is possible. Mine received last month with serial No. 2-400s.

Old 4 July 2020, 06:17 AM   #107
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Look at 5980/1R.. every Tom Dick and Harry owns one I can spot 11 including mine own in a gathering .. still look at the market price! There must be at least 5000 if not more produced.

Jennifer, wow! I love that watch. That is a super presence watch. Congrats.

So, you think that the CB could get into the $75K +? Perhaps y’all are right. I am just not seeing the super, outrageous demand like Daytona/Nautilus/Royal Oaks. Interesting.

Old 4 July 2020, 04:56 PM   #108
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Jennifer, wow! I love that watch. That is a super presence watch. Congrats.

So, you think that the CB could get into the $75K +? Perhaps y’all are right. I am just not seeing the super, outrageous demand like Daytona/Nautilus/Royal Oaks. Interesting.

I got my 5980/1R in 2013 one of the very first batch hence I paid close to penny compared to what it is on the market now. This watch market is seriously crazy now. Unbelievable if you ask me back in 2011-2015!
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 12:40 PM   #109
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo100169 View Post
those are the French prices taxes included i got last year for the CS Platinum 40:

Chronomètre Souverain Platine 40mm cadran argent guilloché – 36 000€ TTC
Chronomètre Souverain Platine 40mm cadran en or blanc – 37 100€ TTC

so yes, gold dial is 1100Eur more expensive.
Thanks so much. Strapped on my CS in Platinum this weekend, put in a Brown leather strap. Loving it.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 07:55 AM   #110
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Just spoke to a buddy who sells them, sold a CB for 50k yesterday, buyer was more than happy to pay for it
Ekwity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:42 AM   #111
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekwity View Post
Just spoke to a buddy who sells them, sold a CB for 50k yesterday, buyer was more than happy to pay for it

0h snap! Maybe I was wrong. $50K ?

Old 9 July 2020, 08:45 AM   #112
Bloomberg
"TRF" Member

A seller asks for 54k€ on c24 now...
Bloomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 11:04 PM   #113
"TRF" Member

I was offered one in mint condition for $45k
997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 11:37 PM   #114
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997 View Post
I was offered one in mint condition for $45k
8 months ago people were complaining that they were in the low 30s
Old 14 July 2020, 10:38 PM   #115
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Who knows where this goes. I asked boutique staff build numbers and they said about 100 a year for the life of the watch until last year where that was cut in half to around 50. And if August 2018 was 1300, that squares pretty well with what the Boutique told me. If this thing gets discontinued or changed with less than 2000 ever made, will be interesting to see what happens.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 10:55 PM   #116
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Is there any precedence for a modern release of maintaining more than a 100% premium?

5711 blue and 116500 white are as hot as anything and they hover around 100%. I realize production is far different I am just skeptical when people forecast continued appreciation.
Old 14 July 2020, 11:01 PM   #117
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Is there any precedence for a modern release of maintaining more than a 100% premium?

5711 blue and 116500 white are as hot as anything and they hover around 100%. I realize production is far different I am just skeptical when people forecast continued appreciation.
I think the CB is unique in the dress watch world. No idea if it stays this hot, but a completely closed list (thus effectively zero supply) is certainly pushing this watch. Time will tell I suppose. Still, for a non-steel sports model to do this is extraordinary to me.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 12:02 AM   #118
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Like the SS craze, FPJ itself does not directly benefit from the inflated secondary prices right?

The boutiques sell at retail. And besides, no supply to sell.

Benefit i suppose is other lines getting noticed and bought? Or maybe boutiques bundle as well.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 12:17 AM   #119
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
The enjoyment I get out of the CB is well worth the premium I paid to me. While not discontinued per se, it’s effectively discontinued to me since I don’t have a relationship with the boutique. To be honest, I have only ever paid over retail for ones that are discontinued (FPJ 38mm Octa Lune and Patek 5165) but the CB felt totally worth it. And while I don’t like paying over retail, all 3 of those noted above are ones I intend to keep forever.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 12:30 AM   #120
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Like the SS craze, FPJ itself does not directly benefit from the inflated secondary prices right?

The boutiques sell at retail. And besides, no supply to sell.

Benefit i suppose is other lines getting noticed and bought? Or maybe boutiques bundle as well.
Well, the halo effect of the CB is pretty pronounced given the low volume of watches FPJ produces annually. It was not so long ago that many pieces were available on the secondary for below MSRP. A couple years ago, I could have purchased a CB at MSRP with no wait after trying it on. Last year, the AD in Chicago constantly had a few in the case to buy without a wait, including a CS, a QP, an Octa, and an Octa Lune Automatique. I had inquired about getting a rose gold CS from them, and ended up purchasing one on the secondary. With just one inquiry and leaving my phone number, I got a call the next month when one came in. Granted it's never been a hot piece, but I had no purchase history.

Now, I suspect that times have changed. Who would've thought that there would be waiting lists for the CS, which is essentially the entry level piece for the brand? I'm guessing we will start seeing less of the more desirable pieces at non-boutique ADs and waitlists for those pieces at the boutiques.

Good news is that as opposed to AP and Patek wanting to dump Codes and Calatravas on first-time customers just to get in line for a desirable piece, I at least find the majority of the FPJ line-up to be winners. I'm glad they don't waste time producing high numbers of less desirable pieces all in the name of variety, while choking access to the pieces people want. Instead, there is a pretty unifying design language that you can get in any of their pieces, and to boot it's not reliant on a rehashing Genta's contribution to horology over and over again.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote