The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2020, 04:59 AM   #1
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Did the (not so) unthinkable ...

And finally let go of my 116710LN. After five years of almost daily wear, scuffed, scratched and scarred, still fetched me an offer about 50% on top of the price acquired.
Signs of the times I guess...I had been getting an odd feeling wearing the thing every day and especially ever since I got my BB GMT.
I found the Tudor more practical in just about every respect and subject to the normal depreciation of tear and wear, it's a watch one wears without having to think twice.
And don't get me wrong, by having to think twice, I mean that I just couldn't get past the fact that my daily beater ended up costing more than it's really worth.
It's not a limited production piece, it's not a vintage one, heck it wasn't even popular back in the day. A rising tide lifts all boats, sure, but add the hype and people's fear of missing out and what you get, is something I just don't agree with.
I almost feel for those having to spend outrageous sums of money, sometimes 100% over MSRP just to get one over hyped model. Yes it's a free market, yes, it's offer and demand, I'm fully aware and okay with it all.
But I firmly believe these contemporary stainless steel watches are just not worth the going price. And for this reason I'm cashing out of the SS...
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 05:40 AM   #2
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
Happy for you man. Good decision to sell the watch that isn't really practical for you. What better market than if not now? Market is at peak high... low supply, high demand, lots of hype, and a discontinued model that may just be revamped with the 72hour power reserve. Probably could buy one in a couple years if the market adjusts.
AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 05:51 AM   #3
Mobert19
"TRF" Member

Wearing my 116710LN as I type. It is the perfect daily watch. Not sure what a little extra cash does for you financially, but I would never part with this.
Mobert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 05:56 AM   #4
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post

..... still fetched me an offer about 50% on top of the price acquired.
I think you made a mistake .Should have kept it.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 06:01 AM   #5
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Interesting move...I'd rather have the Rolex GMT vs the Tudor but you did what makes you happy, that's all that matters.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 06:05 AM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
A firmly made decision is all that matters. No justification needed. Good for you coming out on top.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 06:06 AM   #7
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobert19 View Post
Wearing my 116710LN as I type. It is the perfect daily watch. Not sure what a little extra cash does for you financially, but I would never part with this.
It's not about the cash. It's about a watch I bought to wear but stopped making sense to me anymore. It's simply not worth the going price. That's all.

Not trying to justify anything here or asking for reassurance.

Merely expressing my sentiment and sharing my thoughts and a different perspective with fellow members, simple as that
Old 12 January 2020, 06:50 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations, as long as you’re happy.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 07:16 AM   #9
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

I have both and fully understand your decision as the Tudor GMT is now my daily wearer and has fulfilled everything I loved about Rolex in the old days. Because it is replaceable and not such a silly price I can wear it anywhere for any activity as sports watches are meant to be worn instead of babying it like it’s a piece of irreplaceable jewellery. This makes owning it much more enjoyable. The Rolex GMT2 has somehow lost it’s purpose and roots.

That said, the 116710LN may never be replaced with a new 126710LN on an Oyster bracelet and as I loathe the multi coloured ceramic bezels (especially the pink/purple pepsi and the jubilee bracelet models) but only have an interest in GMT watches, it may be the last Rolex I will ever own and I am still in love with it’s looks after many years owning one.
Highlatitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 07:24 AM   #10
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Congrats to you! Although I would never had let the LN go I'm sure you'll love your Tudor. Enjoy!!...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 07:31 AM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Congrats man.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 07:49 AM   #12
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
It's not about the cash. It's about a watch I bought to wear but stopped making sense to me anymore. It's simply not worth the going price. That's all.

Merely expressing my sentiment and sharing my thoughts and a different perspective with fellow members, simple as that
Cool. Glad to hear you had a good transaction that worked well for you. Enjoy the BB!

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 08:05 AM   #13
GMT Aviator

I get it, I do, but my LN is the one Rolex in my collection I will never part with. It’s my daily and there’s no better watch. Not the Pepsi, not the coke, not the rootbeer that can beat the daily ‘does it all’ that the LN can pull off.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 08:07 AM   #14
SoCal_Batman
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ BLNR | AK
If you’re happy, that’s all that matters!
Old 12 January 2020, 08:13 AM   #15
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
A firmly made decision is all that matters. No justification needed. Good for you coming out on top.
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 08:20 AM   #16
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlatitude View Post
I have both and fully understand your decision as the Tudor GMT is now my daily wearer and has fulfilled everything I loved about Rolex in the old days. Because it is replaceable and not such a silly price I can wear it anywhere for any activity as sports watches are meant to be worn instead of babying it like it’s a piece of irreplaceable jewellery. This makes owning it much more enjoyable. The Rolex GMT2 has somehow lost it’s purpose and roots.
Exactly.

I just got over what you describe in the second part of your post, myself. A decision not taken lightly. I'm moving on.
Old 12 January 2020, 08:31 AM   #17
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Good for you! Always do what works best for you. Don’t look back.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 08:32 AM   #18
GMT Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlatitude View Post
Same could be said for all Rolex sports watches these days. That’s what hype does for you.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 09:46 AM   #19
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think this is where the power of the brand comes into play, or in classical challenging accounting practcies, what is the 'good will' of the brand? If you compare with the older version 3070.50 Speed sapphire sandwich or the current version, I think we can agree that the stellar post discount price of around $4,100 USD reflects the craftsmanship of the watch. But then you add all the new bells and whistles, which most people might pay $10k for, but to even expect the last 3k in brand value, everyone crys foul, but is more than happy to pay that same $13k for a Rolex Daytona, even though it's argueably a less good watch by feature set.

And then at that point, it becomes a question of is individual consumer going to value the brand value or not. And I'm with you, at the current prices...my eyes start to shift to brands like AP and less on Patek. But I'm at least willing to entertain them but I'm not willing to entertain them for Omega or Panerai -- poor management of the brand and brand loyalty.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 10:26 AM   #20
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Good move.

In my case, my love for the brand makes me forget the cost of the watch that I have on my wrist, I don't care if it gains or loses value, it's 30 years of admiring Rolex watches, and I'm happy to always have one with me.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 11:16 AM   #21
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Hope you enjoy your Tudor BB GMT. If that's what makes you happy, then it's right for you. Personally, I quite like my 116710LN as I find it easy to wear in many situations, as well it has sentimental value as it was my first Rolex in 2008 from an AD. Sounds like you weren't hesitant to wear your LN as it was scuffed and scratched, so perhaps you were lured into selling by the current high prices. Many folks here find the LN to be a handsome and desirable reference. Do enjoy your BB GMT. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 12:00 PM   #22
BigPapiDoesItAgain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
I just let one go to bring in a 16710 Pepsi and not feel bad about it. I love the look of the ceramic bezels, but the super case is not the perfect marriage for my on the smaller size wrist. Also I had checked the black rotating bezel sports watch look many times over starting with my 16610 and a number of non-Rolex offerings. Funny how much I love looking at the 116710LN in the box, or on a winder or in photos, but didn't love it on my wrist. Felt some short-term pangs of sadness but made the right call.
BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 12:47 PM   #23
Mobert19
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I guess these two statements are throwing me off. If you don’t care about the money, who cares what the going price is? Unless it is about the money. Surely nothing about the design of the GMT stopped making sense after owning it for years. If the Tudor was selling for 11k in the future would you get rid of that as well?

I’m confused by your logic.

But as long as you’re happy then great!
Mobert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 02:12 PM   #24
huba01
"TRF" Member

Yeah, should have kept it, sorry
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote