The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 30 March 2021, 12:25 AM   #1
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Sinn 556 55th Anniversary Special Edition Anthracite

Video review - https://youtu.be/kF6EvzdC93Q

This will be the third Sinn watch that I've reviewed so far, and this brand manages to impress me on each occasion. As you might already know, I reviewed a lot of German watches last year, and Sinn makes some of the best watches you can get in the tool watch category.

But among their watches, the Sinn 556 seems to be a fan favorite. I'm not sure that is because it is one of their more affordable watches, or because it just gets the functional and practical watch aesthetic right. But to be completely honest, the 556 is one of the few Sinn watches I wouldn't personally buy. I think the 556 lacks most of the key characteristics that make Sinn watches what they are, like their tegimented cases, de-humidifying technology, superior anti-magnetism and being resistant to widely fluctuating temperatures. So what you're left with is an incredibly well built watch, but it just doesn't bring enough to the table, when compared to some other key players in this category, like the Damasko DS30 and the Archimede Outdoor Protect, just to name a few.

But this isn't just any regular Sinn 556. This is their 55th Anniversary LE Sinn 556 that isn't trying to be just another tool watch. To me, this is a versatile everyday watch that can be dressed up with ease, while also providing the same tool watch robustness as the regular 556 watches. And comparing it with the DS30 and Outdoor Protect would be inaccurate, since this watch isn't playing in the same category anymore, and brings a lot more 'luxury' dress watch DNA to the table with it's beautiful dial, applied indices, and excellent overall finishing. So this Sinn 556 is somewhat of an anti-thesis to the standard production 556 models, but is exactly the kind of Sinn 556 I'd be convinced to part with my money for.

I believe these watches retailed for around $1200 back in 2016, but what is more relevant is their secondary market prices which are anywhere between $900 and $1200, and some outliers attempting to seek $2000 too.

thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 02:40 PM   #2
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Great shots and thanks for the review. I hadn’t seen this one
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 12:06 AM   #3
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 12:09 AM   #4
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
Love Sinn products!
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2022, 12:20 PM   #5
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Oddly enough, the Sinn 556i is my favorite Sinn, and one of my favorite watches from any brand. I’m not really interested in the unique tech in other Sinn watches, and I consider the 556i to be today’s everyday “Explorer” tool watch that, while not inexpensive, is about what an Explorer used to cost 50 years ago (with inflation.)
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 06:38 AM   #6
potatoskins
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ
Great video of an amazing watch! I love that they put the dates on the dial.
I just ordered the new 556 in all four colours! I really couldn't decide which one would suit me best.
potatoskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anthracite , german , sinn 556 , tool watch , watch