The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 June 2021, 12:39 PM   #1
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Sbgn 005

Does anybody here knows if a Grand Seiko quartz or any high end quartz watches such as a Cartier or Omega more resistant to shock and magnetic field then a mechanical watch because it does not have a main spring and less moving parts? What about a Spring Drive movement? It has similar components to a traditional mechanical movement though.
I apologize for the stupid question beforehand and stand to be educated.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:05 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Good question, and one I can't answer with any authority, but I would think the fewer moving parts and no balance wheel would make the 9F more shock resistant and less prone to magnetic interference. Mine hasn't lost or gained a second in months, and it gets knocked around.
Old 12 June 2021, 01:33 PM   #3
Mike1234567
"TRF" Member

Can you give some background as to your question? How "rough" do you expect to be on the watch? What's the environment? Where does the concern arise from?

It may be a non-issue, or you may need a G-Shock.

Inherently, a quartz movement is more robust than mechanical BUT there are other parts to the watch you here to consider for extreme environment; the case body, the glass etc.

M

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Mike1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 03:52 PM   #4
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quartz watches lose their accuracy while they are in contact with a magnetic field, but this is a temporary phenomenon. Once removed from the magnetic field, they go back to their usual high-precision accuracy.

Mechanical watches, on the other hand, can become magnetized once exposed. Depends in part on their construction and the components; silicon hairspring is far more resistant, whereas most metal hairsprings are susceptible. They can lose their accuracy for a longer period of time, even when removed from the magnetic field. You will have to demagnetize them. Newer silicon-based movements can be resistant even at or above 15,000 Gauss (=1.5 Tesla, 30,000x the background magnetic field strength of the Earth).

Spring drive uses an electromagnetic field to regulate the time-keeping of a constantly spinning wheel, with feedback coming from an integrated circuit and quartz crystal that ensure precision (to the GS standard of +/- 1 second per day). There is no capacitator or battery; kinetic energy driven from a spring allows the system to operate. A magnetic field will disrupt time keeping accuracy (since an electromagnetic field is used to control the governing wheel). I am sure that, while exposed to a magnetic field, the watch will NOT keep proper time. I am uncertain what happens when the watch is removed from the magnetic field-- are the effects long-lasting? permanent? Demagnetizing a spring drive would also disturb its time-keeping.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 07:48 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234567 View Post
Can you give some background as to your question? How "rough" do you expect to be on the watch? What's the environment? Where does the concern arise from?

It may be a non-issue, or you may need a G-Shock.

Inherently, a quartz movement is more robust than mechanical BUT there are other parts to the watch you here to consider for extreme environment; the case body, the glass etc.

M

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
This is why I think the Seiko Tuna with 7C46 quartz movement, one-piece titanium case (so no need for an HEV), protective ceramic shroud and sapphire crystal (depth rated to 1,000m and successfully tested to beyond 3,000m) is probably the toughest dive watch there is, and has been for decades.