The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 April 2020, 02:19 AM   #31
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtbuoy View Post
If the only Rolex I have is a Datejust, does that make me a Datejust-only collector

Yes!

Haha
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 02:22 AM   #32
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhwker View Post
Classic ref. Love everything about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!!
Old 20 April 2020, 02:23 AM   #33
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post

I own 3 and love them like my children.

That blue dial on the tt is radiant. Thanks for sharing!

jyhwker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 02:25 AM   #34
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
I recently consolidated my collection down to a Datejust 41 as my daily wearer. I love the versatility, and the rhodium dial makes it stand out in the sea of Subs in NYC. It may not be the choice others would make, but I'm very pleased with my decision.

I want to visit NYC one day.

I truly cannot imagine there being time and tons of Rolex watches being worn.

Where I’m from, Ive only seen a handful of them over like two years!
Old 20 April 2020, 03:45 AM   #35
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Every true Rolex collector needs at least 1 DJ. Dont fall for the SS sports hype.

Agreed! SS hype is temporary.

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:33 AM   #36
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphyn7980 View Post
Yes absolutely!!
Oh goody, that makes me one too

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:41 AM   #37
TooManyIDs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon-turbo View Post
I am wishing Rolex would produce a 38DJ
Agreed. I've had 36mm and 41mm.

Al
TooManyIDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 03:01 PM   #38
aasubo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Given all of the different configurations of DJs including size, was curious to see if anyone out there is strictly a Datejust collector? If so, what’s your favorite one and why?

Hi, I have posted my DJ collection a while ago, I need to make an updated pic, as my wife now has added a new 126334 with blue diamond dial.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ghlight=aasubo

My favorite is the 16030 with the grey slate tapestry dial, something magical about that one.

BR
Torsten
aasubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 03:06 PM   #39
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
I struggle with collections based on one single brand or worst still one single model - there is much more to the watch collecting journey and Rolex is merely a step on the road. That said there are plenty who disagree. Are you planning on going down that route and if so what are your drivers if you don’t mind me asking
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:03 PM   #40
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
I recently consolidated my collection down to a Datejust 41 as my daily wearer. I love the versatility, and the rhodium dial makes it stand out in the sea of Subs in NYC. It may not be the choice others would make, but I'm very pleased with my decision.

Nice one! I have the OP39mm in Rhodium -- gorgeous dial in the sunlight... inside it's a bit nondescript.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:15 PM   #41
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
I've only worn DJs for decades. My two forays into a 16610 / 116613lb each for about a year, were not for me. Love them, just like them more on other people.
Currently I rotate two SS DJ41s both with jubilee and fluted. Dials are silver w/sticks and a Wimbledon. Will eventually add a TOG to replace the one I stupidly sold.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:52 PM   #42
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Every watch collection has to have at least one DJ in my opinion. The most recognizable, and iconic Rolex.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 05:32 PM   #43
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasubo View Post
Hi, I have posted my DJ collection a while ago, I need to make an updated pic, as my wife now has added a new 126334 with blue diamond dial.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ghlight=aasubo

My favorite is the 16030 with the grey slate tapestry dial, something magical about that one.

BR

Torsten

Awesome collection and thanks for sharing! Love how you and your wife share the same passion for collecting these iconic timepieces. The grey slate tapestry dial is pretty magical, no doubt about that.

Old 20 April 2020, 05:33 PM   #44
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
Every watch collection has to have at least one DJ in my opinion. The most recognizable, and iconic Rolex.

Couldn’t agree more!

Old 20 April 2020, 05:37 PM   #45
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
I've only worn DJs for decades. My two forays into a 16610 / 116613lb each for about a year, were not for me. Love them, just like them more on other people.
Currently I rotate two SS DJ41s both with jubilee and fluted. Dials are silver w/sticks and a Wimbledon. Will eventually add a TOG to replace the one I stupidly sold.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Ahh the TOG... love that watch and eventually I will add one as well.. love the red accents of the second hand and date, particularly against a white dial. Out of curiosity, what didn’t you like about the subs?

Old 20 April 2020, 05:45 PM   #46
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXAPPP View Post
I struggle with collections based on one single brand or worst still one single model - there is much more to the watch collecting journey and Rolex is merely a step on the road. That said there are plenty who disagree. Are you planning on going down that route and if so what are your drivers if you don’t mind me asking

Of course not, appreciate you asking and actually glad you did! I am thinking of going down that route because I always seem to gravitate towards DJs because of the way they look and feel on me. I recently picked up a 126710 blnr and it’s an amazing piece but something inside of me is considering trading it for a new 126233 white dial with sticks. I currently also have a DJ 116234, so if I did make that switch, as far as Rolex goes, it’d put me in the DJ only space. Not that I plan to stay like that forever as I add others, but it got me thinking if there were other folks out there who are just strictly DJ enthusiasts, vintage, modern, what have you..

Old 20 April 2020, 06:19 PM   #47
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

I own two date justs, both 36mm. One is stainless steel and the other being two tone (with yellow gold).

For me atleast, I find anything bigger just too big.

So with that being said yes I am a datejust only wearer, but in the future, I will get a 36mm day date if I can find the right configuration at an AD.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 11:58 PM   #48
aasubo
"TRF" Member

My beloved 16013, very much a ROLEX piece,
This is how people think, all Rolexes look like;-)))

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
aasubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 01:06 AM   #49
shipitfresh
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
My wife and I have 4 DJ's between us. To me, it's the standard Rolex watch and can go just about anywhere, Thinking about a Cellini..a good friend has one and it is a very handsome watch.
shipitfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 01:16 AM   #50
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

My preference is for the DJ. I don't collect them exclusively but I do have several. The following is from a post I made a couple of years ago and gives some background on the importance of the DJ in Rolex' history.

From this post https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=647550

The 60s and 70s are the most meaningful decades of Rolex for me. These are the years before the quartz revolution and the last years mechanical watches actually mattered. They had achieved the pinnacle of development in cases, movements and models for the times. Never before or since has Rolex been so focused in purpose and function. Mighty PanAm partnered with Rolex to provide precision dual time GMT Masters to pilots, engineers and navigators. Tudor subs graced the wrists of US Navy Seals on harrowing adventures in the muddy waters of Vietnam. COMEX and British MoD trusted Rolex with the lives of their men and the French Marine Nationale relationship with Rolex and Tudor ran from the 50s to the 80s. If lives were at stake Rolex was usually the choice.

So where does our decidedly unwarlike DJ fit into these seminal decades? It and it's DJ brethren were the watches actually creating what became the Rolex legend. They were sold in their millions to men and women whose requirements dictated spending hundreds of dollars on a watch instead of a few bucks on a Timex that could be thrown away and replaced every year. Doctors, nurses, active people whose lifestyles destroyed ordinary watches turned to Rolex out of necessity. Rolex wasn't the semi-religious object it is today, people bought it because of what it could do, not what it was. Rolex had the best advertising available in those decades Everyone knew someone who's uncle Joe had a Rolex on a drilling rig for 10 years or that nurse who gets every disgusting thing a human body can produce on her Rolex everyday and it looks great. The people who owned them were the best salesmen Rolex ever had at a time Rolex was not the overweening behemoth it is today.

The DateJust did it all, it could dive to 165 feet, wash off after an unfortunate diaper change and be elegant in the boardroom all in the same day. People wanted versatility and a watch that could handle what their lives had to offer. Back in those days there was a particular feeling you got when strapping on your first Rolex. Before, you had to always be aware of your watch, take it off to wash your hands, take it off to do something physical, no longer. You had a watch that you could actually forget about. That was a big deal to millions raised on Timex. No Rolex owner ever forgot his first swim with it. :)

1969 1600

1968 1603

1984 16030

1967 1601

1968 1625 TOG

1980 16030
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 02:09 AM   #51
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad12 View Post
I own two date justs, both 36mm. One is stainless steel and the other being two tone (with yellow gold).

So with that being said yes I am a datejust only wearer, but in the future, I will get a 36mm day date if I can find the right configuration at an AD.

I feel I’m headed down this route and for the same reason as I wrestle with my 126710 blnr... Your white dial tt is the exact ref I would trade it for. And you’re spot on about the DD, hope to do the same in the future. I was also thinking of adding the 114200 white dial for some variation.

Old 21 April 2020, 02:12 AM   #52
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
My preference is for the DJ. I don't collect them exclusively but I do have several. The following is from a post I made a couple of years ago and gives some background on the importance of the DJ in Rolex' history.

The 60s and 70s are the most meaningful decades of Rolex for me. These are the years before the quartz revolution and the last years mechanical watches actually mattered. They had achieved the pinnacle of development in cases, movements and models for the times. Never before or since has Rolex been so focused in purpose and function. Mighty PanAm partnered with Rolex to provide precision dual time GMT Masters to pilots, engineers and navigators. Tudor subs graced the wrists of US Navy Seals on harrowing adventures in the muddy waters of Vietnam. COMEX and British MoD trusted Rolex with the lives of their men and the French Marine Nationale relationship with Rolex and Tudor ran from the 50s to the 80s. If lives were at stake Rolex was usually the choice.

So where does our decidedly unwarlike DJ fit into these seminal decades? It and it's DJ brethren were the watches actually creating what became the Rolex legend. They were sold in their millions to men and women whose requirements dictated spending hundreds of dollars on a watch instead of a few bucks on a Timex that could be thrown away and replaced every year. Doctors, nurses, active people whose lifestyles destroyed ordinary watches turned to Rolex out of necessity. Rolex wasn't the semi-religious object it is today, people bought it because of what it could do, not what it was. Rolex had the best advertising available in those decades Everyone knew someone who's uncle Joe had a Rolex on a drilling rig for 10 years or that nurse who gets every disgusting thing a human body can produce on her Rolex everyday and it looks great. The people who owned them were the best salesmen Rolex ever had at a time Rolex was not the overweening behemoth it is today.

The DateJust did it all, it could dive to 165 feet, wash off after an unfortunate diaper change and be elegant in the boardroom all in the same day. People wanted versatility and a watch that could handle what their lives had to offer. Back in those days there was a particular feeling you got when strapping on your first Rolex. Before, you had to always be aware of your watch, take it off to wash your hands, take it off to do something physical, no longer. You had a watch that you could actually forget about. That was a big deal to millions raised on Timex. No Rolex owner ever forgot his first swim with it. :)

1969 1600

1968 1603

1984 16030

1967 1601

1968 1625 TOG

1980 16030

Thank you for this, very cool write up. And that Mickey Mouse dial! Love it!

Old 21 April 2020, 02:13 AM   #53
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipitfresh View Post
My wife and I have 4 DJ's between us. To me, it's the standard Rolex watch and can go just about anywhere, Thinking about a Cellini..a good friend has one and it is a very handsome watch.

Yes! Got my dad a Cellini last year and he absolutely loves it. Perfection in its simplicity.

Old 21 April 2020, 02:15 AM   #54
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I should have asked in my previous response. Do you feel they are different enough due to the metals and dials when you wear them?

Old 21 April 2020, 02:28 AM   #55
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:

1969 1600

1968 1603

1984 16030

1967 1601

1968 1625 TOG

1980 16030

I’ve also never seen an open case back like that. Is that custom?

Old 22 April 2020, 02:23 AM   #56
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

There's a German watchmaker, Thomas Priet(SP?), who makes them for many Rolex and Omega models. Search TRF there has been several threads about them.

I like them. :)

1675 16030 1603 16570
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 02:47 AM   #57
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I should have asked in my previous response. Do you feel they are different enough due to the metals and dials when you wear them?

Ofcourse, the black is sleek and under the radar. Perfect for a suit and tie or any formal occasion.

And the two tone tends to go on in a more casual environment.

Both can be used for either situations though.

Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 03:02 AM   #58
RobotDoctor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
My first Rolex was a TT DJ (1990) with a black dial. Unfortunately I had to sell it years ago. It's possible I may consider picking up a 36mm TT DJ with a black tapestry dial some time in the future. These are simply classic and elegant watches.
RobotDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 11:15 AM   #59
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's a German watchmaker, Thomas Priet(SP?), who makes them for many Rolex and Omega models. Search TRF there has been several threads about them.

I like them. :)

1675 16030 1603 16570

Very cool! Thank you for sharing!

Old 22 April 2020, 11:16 AM   #60
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ofcourse, the black is sleek and under the radar. Perfect for a suit and tie or any formal occasion.

And the two tone tends to go on in a more casual environment.

Both can be used for either situations though.

Love the versatility of them.