The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 October 2022, 01:42 AM   #61
djnick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101 View Post
A cynic would say it’s just milking the cash cow by switching to precious metal. Everyone has a choice but I wouldn’t buy it even at retail. The lefty chrono and rainbow aqua are just following Rolex.. The 5204g is nice but nothing particularly new. Personally, the best of Patek has come and gone and is vintage I feel. Sounding like enjoy the music these days…Maybe I’ll change my mind when I see the calatravas and hopefully some new men’s aqua.
high horology stuff is nice the aqua/naut is all yawn
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 01:42 AM   #62
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Love the 5811. Hopefully, I will be able to get one.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 01:45 AM   #63
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
5811/1g is nothing but a defensible price increase to close the gap between market values and 5711/1a msrp. People will accept this easier than simply doubling the price of the 5711, and doesn’t narrow the market by releasing in a colored metal (though i’m sure those will come, too).
+100
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 01:56 AM   #64
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
After all, this was a release from a Swiss watchmaker. Expect the expected...

My wife keeps yearning for the intro of a 7010 without diamonds in WG or SS on a bracelet.

The March releases were more exciting (5226/5326).
321Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:01 AM   #65
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I think the best release is the 5204G. Just the right colour of green for both the dial and the strap. The Rainbow Aquanaut is also stunning and I would not be surprised if men request one for themselves rather than for their partner.

I would say the only one that is slightly disappointing is the LHD 5373P...
Patek should not have done that after Rolex released the LHD VTNR. If it was a proper RHD Split second, QP, it will be so good but now there's a little bad taste in the mouth that Patek is a follower, not a leader...
Let me get this straight: You think that Patek didn’t already have this watch design well underway by the time the VTNR hit? This is a piece that undoubtedly took a hell of a lot longer than six months to engineer and produce.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:24 AM   #66
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Smart move to go PM with the Nautilus now. No matter what metal it is it will be a hot seller so might as well make it into a PM.

I still like the traditional 40mm so I'm disappointed. Although, I'm pretty sure the actual size difference is marginal.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:26 AM   #67
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Let me get this straight: You think that Patek didn’t already have this watch design well underway by the time the VTNR hit? This is a piece that undoubtedly took a hell of a lot longer than six months to engineer and produce.
They undoubtably had it planned long before the VTNR, but lets be honest, it is a redialed upside down 5372. Mind you, that's no bad thing as I loved the blue 5372P.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:34 AM   #68
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicof View Post
Agreed the 5935 looks stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really a stunner check this out just WOw

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj2S9...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:38 AM   #69
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Reading all the comments and not one mention of any kind of improvement to the movement or finishing and such. So much for high horology. Patek is bought for pure hype which is fine. Just pointing out the obvious
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:45 AM   #70
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
Reading all the comments and not one mention of any kind of improvement to the movement or finishing and such. So much for high horology. Patek is bought for pure hype which is fine. Just pointing out the obvious
Not sure you are correct to be honest, in the last 18 months Patek has launched numerous new movements which feature in the 5740, the 5326, the 5236, the 6119 and before that the 6301.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:45 AM   #71
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post
The steel 5712 is still listed on their website, so I assume it's not yet discontinued.

I think they discontinue watches around March every year just wait

Old 19 October 2022, 02:49 AM   #72
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I'm going the restrain my cynicism about the 5811.....oh......I...JUST...CAN'T...DO....IT.

Thierry Stern is a liar...oops...a businessman. He knows he can't really kill a cash cow.

The rainbow models seems like a Rolex derivative as does the destro chronograph. That one, I truly don't get for a company and lineup like Patek.

And before anyone jumps on the Patek design book and comes up with Patek left handed models from the past, I posit that it just doesn't make sense in today's Patek lineup, and certainly not as a mono-pusher chrono perpetual.

That being said, will never get a chance to hold any of these models let alone buy one, so who am I kidding.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:50 AM   #73
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post
Do you know if the Rainbow or the 7118/1300R are a creation by Salanitro (PP invested recently in that company)?

Pretty certain that’s the reason for this release patekaholic also just said the same in his IG live

Old 19 October 2022, 02:51 AM   #74
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I have no doubt that it is a high quality piece that took time to develop.
But if you look closely at the watch itself, the 5373P is undoubtedly just a 5372 turned upside down! Heck, even the diamond at 6pm position is now at 12pm.
It is difficult to inverse the movement for LHD, but I doubt it’s THAT hard as compared to developing the movement from ground up.

It is a DAMN DELICIOUS WATCH! But I would say that the watch would have remained in the R&D department and not seen the light of day if it wasn’t Rolex who led the LHD craze with the release of the VTNR.

There’s no point arguing about this subject. Ultimately the 5373P and the 126720VTNR are two very different watches but both are well made products for their respective target audience.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:52 AM   #75
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Not sure you are correct to be honest, in the last 18 months Patek has launched numerous new movements which feature in the 5740, the 5326, the 5236, the 6119 and before that the 6301.

And how about the advanced research 1/10
Second monopusher release this year ???!?!

Old 19 October 2022, 02:54 AM   #76
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But if you look closely at the watch itself, the 5373P is undoubtedly just a 5372 turned upside down! Heck, even the diamond at 6pm position is now at 12pm.
It is difficult to inverse the movement for LHD, but I doubt it’s THAT hard as compared to developing the movement from ground up.

It is a DAMN DELICIOUS WATCH! But I would say that the watch would have remained in the R&D department and not seen the light of day if it wasn’t Rolex who led the LHD craze with the release of the VTNR.

There’s no point arguing about this subject. Ultimately the 5373P and the 126720VTNR are two very different watches but both are well made products for their respective target audience.

I don’t see your argument - since when is Patek following Rolex for its releases ? Idk I doubt that’s what happened but ok

Two totally different watches and completely different stratospheres

Old 19 October 2022, 03:04 AM   #77
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I don’t see your argument - since when is Patek following Rolex for its releases ? Idk I doubt that’s what happened but ok

Two totally different watches and completely different stratospheres

I will say this in a more blunt manner about my previous reply:
Patek as a conservative company itself does not have the COJONES to release the LHD 5373P if it wasn’t Rolex who broke the god damn well. Now we will have AP next in line to release a LHD, then RM, then whoever next….

This is my opinion. May be right, may be ignorant, may be wrong.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 03:12 AM   #78
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

Well, you have a point there. And I'm sure that, in Geneva, "people talk" (and do so in rooms the rest of us aren't invited into, with the conversations kept in the "circle of trust"). So perhaps the two knew of each other's plans well before production even started.

And, while both this and the VTNR are advertised as left-handed watches, I also have to wonder if there's an increasing contingent of righties who prefer the crown/pushers face away from their hands. Especially with a piece like this, where the pusher protruding from the crown would be subject to accidental engagement. Pure speculation, of course.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 03:36 AM   #79
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Patek is conservative company, Patek is in different stratosphere are all chiches that perhaps were true at some point.. Now days it is a company that produces mostly sports watches that are inferior in that capacity to other manufacturers like RM or Rolex (just offering barbell in pricing in case someone wants to compare $10k gmt to 90k nautilus). Highly complicated models are a side business to give credibility to real cash cows. Just the idea that 2mm extensions just appeared on a sports watch is befuddling to say the least
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 04:57 AM   #80
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
5712/1R is stunning and my favorite

Followed by the 5204G. But 315K is earth and Pluto outta my budget

Work of art but jeez what’s the profit margin on that bad boy
Old 19 October 2022, 05:00 AM   #81
BrunoMalik
Banned

5935A is amazing. 2nd best release this year after the 5326G. Well done Patek.
Not really interested in the Nautilus. I like the RO better.

BrunoMalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 06:25 AM   #82
_Gatsby_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagnepapi View Post
Does someone know if this was the whole announcement? Or are we expecting more drops in the upcoming days?

I think there will be more. There was not much justice done here for the Aquanaut IMO

_Gatsby_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 06:48 AM   #83
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Overall, I'm not thrilled with the release.

I like the 5204G but it's prohibitively expensive.

I'd be more excited about the 5811 had Patek taken a break after discontinuing the 5711 rather than introducing a series of color variants before immediately releasing a precious metal version. Adding the high price point and low power reserve, and I'm lukewarm on the piece.

That being said, I'm sure these pieces will be very popular
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 06:56 AM   #84
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
They undoubtably had it planned long before the VTNR, but lets be honest, it is a redialed upside down 5372. Mind you, that's no bad thing as I loved the blue 5372P.
And what about the rainbow….. was that long before as well….
All I know is Rolex is king and everyone follows.

And should a dare mention Pateks venture into the green dials
YGRLX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 07:20 AM   #85
sxdcfv911
"TRF" Member

I really like the world timer. Never thought I'd say that, but this one has a great dial/strap combo that really works well together.
sxdcfv911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 07:23 AM   #86
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

im onboard with the 5935a as well...really like the look and would love to see one up close.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 07:29 AM   #87
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Visually the 5811/1G looks exactly like the 5711/1A except for the date aperture and the 1mm difference in case diameter. From a distance of 5m, no one can really tell the difference.

I do expect to see a 5811/1R soon and the platinum version in 2026 (Nautilus 50th anniversary).

And how long more the 5712/1A is going to continue in the catalogue?
After a second look the case curves of the 5811 appear a bit more pronounced in relation to the bracelet. Looks to me like it changes the proportions a bit. Looking forward to side to side comparison.

Quote:
I think the shade of blue will be slightly different. The 5811 dial resembles the 40th anniversary more. I don’t think it’s that mind blowing a release for the nautilus line-up overall but on its own, without the immense anticipation prior to its release, it’s still a ULTRA STUNNING watch that is fitting as a successor to the 5711.
Not mind blowing but the update of the clasp is a significant update for many who were not fans of the friction type clasp of the 5711. The adjustment is also an unexpected bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Going back to dial side movement insertion makes me want it now
This is mind blowing! Biggest nod to the orignal they could have made. Kudos to Patek!!!
Old 19 October 2022, 07:38 AM   #88
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
After a second look the case curves of the 5811 appear a bit more pronounced in relation to the bracelet. Looks to me like it changes the proportions a bit. Looking forward to side to side comparison
Here you go - some nice side by side pics

https://swisswatches-magazine.com/bl...us-variations/
Old 19 October 2022, 07:48 AM   #89
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Here you go - some nice side by side pics

https://swisswatches-magazine.com/bl...us-variations/
Thank you. Great comparison.
Old 19 October 2022, 08:05 AM   #90
The Stifmeister
Banned

Huge fan of the new 5935. My favorite out of today’s new releases!
The Stifmeister is offline   Reply With Quote