The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2023, 05:29 AM   #1
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wife Said I Should Be A Watchmaker / Start A Timepiece Company

While I'm immensely impressed with the art and passion of horology on many levels, plus the skillset and discipline necessary, my aspirational wife has quite the imagination(!). She then came up with ideas and timepiece types (and names!) for the first five releases / complications. It's like she knows....

No. Gosh no baby. Thanks for the vote of confidence, yet it takes far more than I could ever imagine. She then said in a loving supportive way something like the next chapter in my life and living up to my potential....

And then it got me thinking, Let's give many thanks to those with passion who have given so much to create and deliver these incredible masterpieces of timekeeping... especially the true independents.

For those who choose 'the road less travelled', thank you.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 05:32 AM   #2
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Come on Steven. You can do this. Put me down for #1 of first production run. Just let me know the ETA later today

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 05:39 AM   #3
330ci
"TRF" Member

I have 100,000 + watch parts. Hundreds if not thousands of movements, a jewelers lathe and everything I need to become a watchmaker. My goal is to one day use pre made parts to design and build my own movement. Then catalogue the parts used and maybe make a small production run of them.

Unfortunately they've been sitting for ~10years at this point waiting for me to find the time to train myself how to do it lol

I say go for it! Someone on TRF should do it
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 05:43 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

No.

No no.
i'm really serious here, and said with deep love and immense respect. No.

Though let's GIVE BIG THANKS to those who do. For me, that's the 'takeaway' here. To those watchmakers who do, and for the dreamers, i salute you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Come on Steven. You can do this. Put me down for #1 of first production run. Just let me know the ETA later today
Read to my wife... you're not helping my side of the case. Am honestly very serious in saying no. But wonderful that my wife feels more confident in my abilities if i applied myself. She's a keeper! Her ideas for the series of five was actually quite compelling(!).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 21 January 2023, 06:06 AM   #5
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Here you go Steven, they are waiting for you...

https://lititzwatchtechnicum.org/
train-time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 06:08 AM   #6
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
No.

No no.
i'm really serious here, and said with deep love and immense respect. No.

Though let's GIVE BIG THANKS to those who do. For me, that's the 'takeaway' here. To those watchmakers who do, and for the dreamers, i salute you

Read to my wife... you're not helping my side of the case. Am honestly very serious in saying no. But wonderful that my wife feels more confident in my abilities if i applied myself. She's a keeper! Her ideas for the series of five was actually quite compelling(!).
I admire your humility, but who knows you better than your wife?

When can we expect your first model release announcement?
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 06:37 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post

Many thanks, yet in all honesty it scares me. Oh my! Frankly, it's my wife that should do it. I only 'showed her the door' years ago, she has some impressive ideas. Plus her longtime skillset as a dental hygienist that uses custom Zeiss mag glasses and medical hand tools... so she has the dexterity.

Ya know, come to think about it, when she gets back need to ask her. I have a feeling she is the one you guys really want. Heck, she'd probably love making Guilloche dials. Seriously, she loves that type of stuff.

Old 21 January 2023, 06:54 AM   #8
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Many thanks, yet in all honesty it scares me. Oh my! Frankly, it's my wife that should do it. I only 'showed her the door' years ago, she has some impressive ideas. Plus her longtime skillset as a dental hygienist that uses custom Zeiss mag glasses and medical hand tools... so she has the dexterity.

Ya know, come to think about it, when she gets back need to ask her. I have a feeling she is the one you guys really want. Heck, she'd probably love making Guilloche dials. Seriously, she loves that type of stuff.
If you have the confidence she can pull off Guilloche, I think she would be a perfect candidate to take up Cloissonne.

Honestly custom dials for watches using old world techniques would be a sweet business model.
Old 21 January 2023, 07:12 AM   #9
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
If you have the confidence she can pull off Guilloche, I think she would be a perfect candidate to take up Cloissonne.

Honestly custom dials for watches using old world techniques would be a sweet business model.
RGM up in Pennsylvania does exactly that... In Mt Joy, PA not too far from Lititz.

https://www.rgmwatches.com/
Old 21 January 2023, 07:12 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I’d invest in your new venture.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 07:16 AM   #11
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
RGM up in Pennsylvania does exactly that... In Mt Joy, PA not too far from Lititz.

https://www.rgmwatches.com/
They have some neat pieces, thanks for sharing.
Old 21 January 2023, 07:30 AM   #12
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
They have some neat pieces, thanks for sharing.
Yup, they have some really cool pieces. It's on my bucket list for a field trip someday. Should take a about an hour and a half to get their and Lititz in the same day is doable.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-01-20 162238.png (272.1 KB, 206 views)
Old 21 January 2023, 07:35 AM   #13
Star Ferry
Banned

Actually being a watchmaker is one thing, but you could start a watch brand ŕ la Daniel Wellington fairly easily. They made a ton of money slapping their logos on quartz watches + marketing well.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 07:58 AM   #14
Cliffnopus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126621 Yacht
Quote:
While I'm immensely impressed with the art and passion of horology on many levels, plus the skillset and discipline necessary, my aspirational wife has quite the imagination(!). She then came up with ideas and timepiece types (and names!) for the first five releases / complications. It's like she knows....

No. Gosh no baby. Thanks for the vote of confidence, yet it takes far more than I could ever imagine. She then said in a loving supportive way something like the next chapter in my life and living up to my potential....

And then it got me thinking, Let's give many thanks to those with passion who have given so much to create and deliver these incredible masterpieces of timekeeping... especially the true independents.

For those who choose 'the road less travelled', thank you.

I've always loved a woman on drugs.

Seriously, she sounds like super keeper. Be thankful you have a woman who believes in you. I am and they're not easy to come by.
Old 21 January 2023, 08:47 AM   #15
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post

Agree. Go for it Steven.
Old 21 January 2023, 09:38 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Many, many thanks everyone. Yet no.

Still, I reserve the right to be 'that old guy who fixes grandfather clocks and stuff'. Like Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffnopus View Post
I've always loved a woman on drugs.
< insert a very humorous yet un-PC comment here >.

Look, I'm realistic enough to know who rules our home (hint: it ain't me). So in our marriage, I'd the one who gets...

Quote:
Seriously, she sounds like super keeper. Be thankful you have a woman who believes in you. I am and they're not easy to come by.
Congrats to you

So very true. So VERY true.

------
------

Come to think of it, I loved working luxury retail. Maybe MB&F needs someone for their ??? upcoming Miami gallery ???

That would be a cool!!!

PS: Wife said she'd love to help arrange appointments, serve tea or drinks. She makes amazing espressos from our Rocket. Oh, like FPJ Miami we must enjoy cigars.

Old 21 January 2023, 09:40 AM   #17
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

Precisely what a wife should be. Congratulations.
pickettt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 10:30 AM   #18
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It would take all the fun out of it.

Having said that, I’d buy one……so long as it’s not purple.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 01:14 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Just buy an old name and then outsource everything lol wave of the future, dude.
Old 21 January 2023, 01:23 PM   #20
gpeg
Banned

Your wife knows better, give it a shot.
gpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 09:07 PM   #21
Andy0331

You're supposed to listen to your muse..

Go for it. "Muse Time Co." or "Mousa Time Co." Do a limited set of 9 watches, for each of the muses, maybe add a tenth in your wife's honor.

Obviously far easier said than done, but it would be epic.
Andy0331 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 10:38 PM   #22
themast
"TRF" Member

Steven, I totally understand your point. Many of us have great ideas/aspirations but only a few have the strength, courage, and perseverance to make them a reality. I admire them greatly.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 10:54 PM   #23
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

We have a few resident watch makers here. (Calling Baz) Maybe you wife could sway them to come over to your fledgling watch business…ah probably not!

P.S. legal tip leave the name “oyster” of the watch completely.
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 11:00 PM   #24
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Without a complete understanding of what it would take to be a watch manufacturer I would say not. Too much to it. Micro brands can be nice but most are just sourcing movements, cases, crystals, etc. Some make slight modifications and assemble the watches. Not to rain on your picnic but the reality might be significantly different than the dream.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 11:11 PM   #25
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Actually being a watchmaker is one thing, but you could start a watch brand ŕ la Daniel Wellington fairly easily. They made a ton of money slapping their logos on quartz watches + marketing well.
Exactly. Any mall kiosk and late night TV advertising will show you all the "brands" you need to see that are doing exactly that.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 11:44 PM   #26
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Without a complete understanding of what it would take to be a watch manufacturer I would say not. Too much to it. Micro brands can be nice but most are just sourcing movements, cases, crystals, etc. Some make slight modifications and assemble the watches. Not to rain on your picnic but the reality might be significantly different than the dream.

Tudor, Breitling, Omega, Ulysse Nardin, Panerai, and I'm sure plenty of other high end brands have done it too. Plenty of people are out here half assing watches and charging a mint.

Gotta strike while the irons hot.

Sell Garbage to Garbage men as Jordan Belfort put it.
Old 22 January 2023, 12:06 AM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Steven, I totally understand your point. Many of us have great ideas/aspirations but only a few have the strength, courage, and perseverance to make them a reality. I admire them greatly.
Incredibly well said, and yes me too! If we truly give some thought to what it takes to create (and market) these incredible masterpieces... and admit others are far better than i on many levels.

Like you, i admire them greatly.

Old 22 January 2023, 03:53 AM   #28
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Sounds like Grand Seiko the last couple years. Change the dial and call it a new watch.

Hmmm… or Rolex.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 07:27 AM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not to rain on your picnic but the reality might be significantly different than the dream.
Agreed, big time agreed. This is why while it might sound romantic to an 'outsider', the reality is a heck of a wake-up call. Kinda reminds me of luxury shows. Looks sweeeeeeet as a member of the press (or attendee), sure, yet when YOU are the one setting up a booth and ensuring visitors are attended to, meals, hotel for you and a staff of five... been there, done that.

So again, let's raise a glass giving thanks to those who do

---
----

As for my wonderful wife....

vodka.jpg

Old 22 January 2023, 07:54 AM   #30
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Genuinely appears to me that you can do anything.

I would also think that watchmaking would appeal to you meticulous nature.

I bet you’d be good at it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote