The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 April 2020, 10:04 AM   #1
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Lange: Deployant vs Tang

Hi All,

Three months ago, I bought a yellow gold Lange 1, reference 191.021, which came with a Lange tang buckle. I love the watch, but I go back on forth between two thoughts with respect to the buckle. On one hand, I think a watch of that caliber should have a deployant clasp, as a deployant is a more impressive and useful mechanism than a plain old tang buckle (and, FYI, my Breitling Navitimer and my Glashütte Original Panoreserve both have deployant clasps). On the other hand, I recognize that the Lange 1 is a slim "dress watch" and as such "should" have a simple tang buckle.

My thoughts on this whole thing are further complicated because I know many of the older Lange 1 models came on deployant clasps—but Lange now seemingly produces Lange 1s with only tang buckles.

Here are pictures I took from google of the two types of buckles:

Tang buckle:

Deployant clasp:

Against this backdrop, I would like to hear your thoughts on the following:

1) Money aside, would you rather have the pictured tang buckle or the pictured single-fold deployant on the Lange 1? Why?

2) If you would rather have the deployant, would you spend $2-3K for one?
le_baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 11:37 AM   #2
themast
"TRF" Member

Interesting questions.

I like deployants as I see them more refined (which I guess is your view as well) and potentially more secure (this perhaps is debatable) but the fit can be tricky.

I have a Panomatic Lunar, and I had to flip the deployant to make it fit my wrist. I think that GO offers deployants of two different lengths, and if I am not mistaken also buckles.

To answer your questions:
1) I would have the deployant only because it feels more refined.
2) Perhaps not unless I can make sure first that it fits my wrist great.

Bottom line, buckles as unsophisticated as they look they work great!
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 12:15 PM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Deployant, cleaner lines and more secure on the wrist.

And yes, have paid that in the past for a Patek RG deployant and happy to do so again if the situation warrants.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 01:16 PM   #4
impinth06
"TRF" Member

These deployants nowadays are used to sweeten the deal. I brought my 1815 chronograph and The boutique offered me a WG deployant in addition to the tang buckle came with the watch
impinth06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 01:28 PM   #5
billfredericks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
The only drawback to Lange deployants is the price! Yowza. But, you could always buy one, keep both d and t, and have the option.
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 01:29 PM   #6
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
In general I prefer a deployant, however, I really like the Lange tang clasp. Would be nice for them to include both with purchase, plus a few extra straps. You pay over $20k for a watch you should get a few extras.

That being said, I have a Richard Lange on a tang buckle and couldn’t be happier with it, plus I purchased a few straps.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 01:48 PM   #7
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I usually have problems getting deployant clasps to fit properly, and so revert back to a tang
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 02:33 PM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I usually have problems getting deployant clasps to fit properly, and so revert back to a tang
Just curious, have you tried reversing the strap/deployant?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 03:25 PM   #9
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
This is a great tip, usually makes a big difference. To quickly try pop your watch on round the wrong way for a few hours.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 09:46 PM   #10
anselm
"TRF" Member

I switched all my Lange 1's to deployants. Lange has two types, the one shown above the and the butterfly one. The butterfly is not as heavy and seems to work well. I would give that one a try vs the original solid one.
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 10:11 PM   #11
En_nissen
"TRF" Member

I don't have a Lange watch, so can't speak for their deployants, but generally I prefer a tang buckle. I never dropped a watch, so I'm not really interested in the increased security of a deployant. I also find tangs more comfortable on the wrist, and easier to take on and off.

But mostly, I prefer to quickly and easely get the strap completely out of the way to look at that beautiful backside of the watches. This applies in particular to watches like Lange.
En_nissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 11:47 PM   #12
Lo100169
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
this and using a strap that was designed for a deployant. this makes the fit perfect for me on a Journe. the side of the strap at 6 is much shorter than on a normal strap, which makes the deployant perfectly centered
Lo100169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:27 AM   #13
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I thought I liked deployants and was considering purchasing one for my Lange 1. The price though (platinum) gave me pause. I said I’d live with it for a while and see if my opinion changed.
And it did. I really like the tang now - especially the extra bar which stops excess wear on the strap. I purchased a custom strap with just one hole, and it just feels right. I can also gaze at the movement whenever I take the watch off. Complete 180 on my part.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:37 AM   #14
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
I too have never owned a Lange, but all my pieces have deployant clasps, including my Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe. I have also paid $2-3K for precious metal deployants. I also had to reverse the clasp on one of my pieces, a GO Senator Perpetual. The most comfortable deployants I have are butterfly’s. Interesting the most uncomfortable is my Rolex Daytona. As has been stated, sometimes discounts can be negotiated for deployants at the time of purchase. I have also found pre-owned on Chrono24 and other sites. Since the clasp takes a beating on every watch I wouldn’t shy away from pre-owned.
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:56 AM   #15
ts3
"TRF" Member

On simple and thin dress pieces such as most Calatravas I prefer a tang buckle. I am not afraid of dropping or losing a watch not having a deployant. On bulkier and/or sportier pieces I don't mind the deployant. The Lange 1 is kinda in between in my eyes though I don't own one - the deployant seems nice to have but I'd likely not pay a few grand extra.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:57 AM   #16
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm View Post
I switched all my Lange 1's to deployants. Lange has two types, the one shown above the and the butterfly one. The butterfly is not as heavy and seems to work well. I would give that one a try vs the original solid one.
Lange actually has 3 types. The heavy duty version slides apart so you can lay the piece out flat.
Old 2 April 2020, 02:23 AM   #17
le_baron
"TRF" Member

I appreciate everybody's responses so far.

En_nissen, you raise an interesting point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by En_nissen View Post
But mostly, I prefer to quickly and easely get the strap completely out of the way to look at that beautiful backside of the watches. This applies in particular to watches like Lange.

If the deployant clasp required a screwdriver (like the one on my G.O.) or was otherwise difficult to remove from the strap piece with holes, I would not consider it precisely for the reason you stated: Lange movements should be viewed and appreciated. From what I see online, though, it appears that the Lange deployant simply pushes through the strap piece that has holes, so it can (I think) be easily pushed back through the strap hole and removed from obstructing the view of the movement.

I would love to hear from any owners of Lange deployants about how easy (or difficult) it is to remove the deployant from the side of the strap with holes.
le_baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 04:20 AM   #18
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_baron View Post

If the deployant clasp required a screwdriver (like the one on my G.O.) or was otherwise difficult to remove from the strap piece with holes, I would not consider it precisely for the reason you stated: Lange movements should be viewed and appreciated. From what I see online, though, it appears that the Lange deployant simply pushes through the strap piece that has holes, so it can (I think) be easily pushed back through the strap hole and removed from obstructing the view of the movement.

I would love to hear from any owners of Lange deployants about how easy (or difficult) it is to remove the deployant from the side of the strap with holes.
The trick is that if you don't use the screw (as GO does) you lose one of the potential benefits of the deployant.
Old 2 April 2020, 04:46 AM   #19
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Lange: Deployant vs Tang

Quote:

If you want to have easy access to see the movement it might worth be looking at the third deployant option they make that slides apart.

You can see the little tab on the right side of the deployant below which allows you to open it fully for access to the back of the piece.

Old 2 April 2020, 05:50 AM   #20
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
If you want to have easy access to see the movement it might worth be looking at the third deployant option they make that slides apart.

You can see the little tab on the right side of the deployant below which allows you to open it fully for access to the back of the piece.

Is that your watch Russell? Cos I damn near fell off my chair...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 07:54 AM   #21
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Is that your watch Russell? Cos I damn near fell off my chair...
No, not mine.
Old 2 April 2020, 10:04 AM   #22
Joed631
"TRF" Member

The deployment clasp in my opinion is a must. The watch feels more balanced on the wrist with the deployment clasp and the strap will last much longer as you aren’t constantly bending it and pulling it through the tang. Additionally, you can worry less about dropping it while putting it on. All boutiques carry it, the 18k retails for 3000. The platinum one is much more costly.
Joed631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 10:11 AM   #23
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post

Deployant be damn. Look at that.

To me, I've purchased OEM deployants (including Patek) and I will say - I don't think they are worse paying MSRP. Get a big discount if not use the tang and then perhaps get another deployant.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 11:55 AM   #24
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

I had a tang on my Dato, and in general prefer the buckle over a deployant 100% of the time.

It’s not something I would ever pay $2-3k for.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:01 PM   #25
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joed631 View Post
The deployment clasp in my opinion is a must. The watch feels more balanced on the wrist with the deployment clasp and the strap will last much longer as you aren’t constantly bending it and pulling it through the tang. Additionally, you can worry less about dropping it while putting it on. All boutiques carry it, the 18k retails for 3000. The platinum one is much more costly.
Good point. I forgot this aspect. The deployant can reduce the chances of dropping the watch while putting it on and off.
Old 2 April 2020, 12:21 PM   #26
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I generally prefer a tang buckle for my Lange watches. I generally prefer the fit of a tang buckle. I have the double split platinum on a tang--- At one point they switched to a deployment. I have a 1815 double split platinum perpetual and datograph up/down on deployment. I bought a tang for the later but decided to sell it so never did a side by side. The double split platinum is the largest and heaviest of the Langes I own and it fells comfortable on the wrist. Just easier to drop it when taking on and off and strap clearly likely to wear out more rapidly
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 06:44 AM   #27
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm View Post
I switched all my Lange 1's to deployants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I have a 1815 double split platinum perpetual and datograph up/down on deployment.
Anselm and Watchucallit, do you find—when you want an unobstructed view of your Lange movements—that you can easily push the deployant pin back through the strap piece with holes (to then allow you to "open" or separate the strap pieces)?
Old 3 April 2020, 06:53 AM   #28
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Anselm and Watchucallit, do you find—when you want an unobstructed view of your Lange movements—that you can easily push the deployant pin back through the strap piece with holes (to then allow you to "open" or separate the strap pieces)?
Yes, on the butterfly version, you just unhook the strap from the hole you chose and it is separate. Not tools needed
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 09:34 AM   #29
Dustincrodn
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much that's very helpful.
Dustincrodn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:49 AM   #30
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

YEs can do

Quote:
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deployant , lange , lange 1 , tang clasp