The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 August 2023, 06:20 AM   #1
aircharger
"TRF" Member

New AP Diver 15720 (khaki) vs AP Diver 15707 in Ceramic - worth the trade?

Hey folks!

Fairly new here and love reading through all the different threads. I'm the lucky owner of a 2022 AP Diver 15720 in Khaki and really like it (albeit big, it's definitely a summer watch!). However, I came across the 15707CE (both on Youtube and this forum) and find it quite intriguing, due to the ceramic finishing, which we all know, AP is very known for.

Would you trade your khaki diver for the ceramic one? What are pros, the cons? I'm on the list for the steel Aquanaut and feel like this will scratch that itch, but would like to wear the diver for the moment.

Also: I've always loved the stick indices more than the point ones, but do like the khaki diver...

Thoughts?
aircharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 06:59 AM   #2
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
nope

I know a lot about the 15707CE. I love it, but went with the 26402CE instead.

The 15707CE has traded from 25k up to the low/mid 30's in the last two years. I think your watch is worth more....maybe high 30's.

Also, I have heard about ceramic issues on the 15707CE...one dealer told me he had to get his recased by AP. Only heard this once.

I would keep yours.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 07:01 AM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
The khaki Diver is definitely my preference over the ceramic one but I’ve never been a huge fan of that particular Diver whereas I’ve always liked the khaki one. Out of interest have you seen the forged carbon Diver with the ceramic bezel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 11:48 AM   #4
dmash
"TRF" Member

I recently had this dilemma on the green diver as I love it on pics, but wanted a ceramic bezel and questioned how much I’d wear a green watch. I went a different choice than you’re considering altogether and picked up the LE 15720CN instead! It’s the best aesthetic of any of the divers (in my opinion).
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 12:17 PM   #5
marc2828
"TRF" Member

The 15720CN is awesome...but in a different league. Is it heavy?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Old 18 August 2023, 12:54 PM   #6
APhound
"TRF" Member

Hmm that’s tough. I too have the khaki and would prob trade it for the ceramic one just for fun. October is right around the corner..

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 01:37 PM   #7
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2828 View Post
The 15720CN is awesome...but in a different league. Is it heavy?

I'll put it on a scale this weekend for you haha.
Old 18 August 2023, 07:08 PM   #8
aircharger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know a lot about the 15707CE. I love it, but went with the 26402CE instead.

The 15707CE has traded from 25k up to the low/mid 30's in the last two years. I think your watch is worth more....maybe high 30's.

Also, I have heard about ceramic issues on the 15707CE...one dealer told me he had to get his recased by AP. Only heard this once.

I would keep yours.
The 26402CE is gorgeous, but a tad too big for me unfortunately!

Interesting story about the issues with it, as it's their first "try" into ceramic cases this could very well be the case!
Old 18 August 2023, 07:10 PM   #9
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I recently had this dilemma on the green diver as I love it on pics, but wanted a ceramic bezel and questioned how much I’d wear a green watch. I went a different choice than you’re considering altogether and picked up the LE 15720CN instead! It’s the best aesthetic of any of the divers (in my opinion).

Agreed, stunning watch

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 07:10 PM   #10
aircharger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
The khaki Diver is definitely my preference over the ceramic one but I’ve never been a huge fan of that particular Diver whereas I’ve always liked the khaki one. Out of interest have you seen the forged carbon Diver with the ceramic bezel?

I have! That's the bumblebee right? Love that as well, but not a huge fan of the yellow, I dig the dark orange a bit more.

Quote:
Oof - great piece! Does this always come with the ceramic bezel! I think the price difference will be killer there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
Hmm that’s tough. I too have the khaki and would prob trade it for the ceramic one just for fun. October is right around the corner..

Will you? 🎃
Old 18 August 2023, 08:11 PM   #11
aircharger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

I have! That's the bumblebee right? I really like it, but like the orange a bit more.

Quote:
Oof - lovely! But pricing wise probably higher too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post

Will you? 🎃
Old 19 August 2023, 12:41 AM   #12
arnage
"TRF" Member

I've had the 15707ce since its release (believe it or not, close to 10 yrs now). I think it's a magnificent reference, and mine still looks brand-new, given the ceramic construction.

I haven't handled the 'newer' Diver references yet, which have the quick-release strap / buckle, and the newer movement. the flexibility of the QR strap is a benefit of the more modern Divers, but my understanding is that AP will eventually make retrofit possible (the plots would just need to be swapped out).

I don't particularly enjoy the focus and discussion on value, but it's probably inevitable, unless you're made of money. Most ceramic-cased APs are priced at a significant premium vs their equivalent steel counterparts. I do think the 15707 is better relative value than the 15720, if you did a straight trade. Closest thing in the catalog to the 15707ce's case is the new "music edition" (also ceramic, but 1mm larger)

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...A002CA.01.html

anyway, just some other things to note:
  • 15707ce is quite limited in production, and it's likely that far fewer units were made than the conventional steel diver variants (neon colored ones aside); boutique said ~350 units here:
    https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=328334
  • if you do decide to trade for the 15707ce, note that very early variants did not have the vertical brushing on the bezel (i.e. bezels were the same "rainfall" ones as on the carbon 15706.). matters to some, doesn't matter to others... but just clarify which you'd wind up with, before going through with it.
  • try to handle one in person before making your decision? I know that's not always practical. but the ceramic bodied APs don't reflect light the same way as the steel ones do. so it's definitely more "under the radar," which can be a good (or bad...) thing, depending on your personal preference.

ultimately, I would strongly consider the trade, particularly if it's an even one (or even topping up a little cash from your end). other thought is whether you'd one day grow tired of the green dial on the khaki. I suppose the same could be said about orange accents on the 15707ce, but it's still more or less a "black" watch, which will always match everything

<not my pic, but a good capture from 'tickingway' -- I also don't have an orange strap on mine, which is not everyone's cup of tea... but it's of course an option>

arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 01:08 AM   #13
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage View Post
I've had the 15707ce since its release (believe it or not, close to 10 yrs now). I think it's a magnificent reference, and mine still looks brand-new, given the ceramic construction.

I haven't handled the 'newer' Diver references yet, which have the quick-release strap / buckle, and the newer movement. the flexibility of the QR strap is a benefit of the more modern Divers, but my understanding is that AP will eventually make retrofit possible (the plots would just need to be swapped out).

I don't particularly enjoy the focus and discussion on value, but it's probably inevitable, unless you're made of money. Most ceramic-cased APs are priced at a significant premium vs their equivalent steel counterparts. I do think the 15707 is better relative value than the 15720, if you did a straight trade. Closest thing in the catalog to the 15707ce's case is the new "music edition" (also ceramic, but 1mm larger)

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...A002CA.01.html

• 15707ce is quite limited in production, and it's likely that far fewer units were made than the conventional steel diver variants (neon colored ones aside); boutique said ~350 units here:
    https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=328334
  • if you do decide to trade for the 15707ce, note that very early variants did not have the vertical brushing on the bezel (i.e. bezels were the same "rainfall" ones as on the carbon 15706.). matters to some, doesn't matter to others... but just clarify which you'd wind up with, before going through with it.
  • try to handle one in person before making your decision? I know that's not always practical. but the ceramic bodied APs don't reflect light the same way as the steel ones do. so it's definitely more "under the radar," which can be a good (or bad...) thing, depending on your personal preference.

ultimately, I would strongly consider the trade, particularly if it's an even one (or even topping up a little cash from your end). other thought is whether you'd one day grow tired of the green dial on the khaki. I suppose the same could be said about orange accents on the 15707ce, but it's still more or less a "black" watch, which will always match everything

<not my pic, but a good capture from 'tickingway' -- I also don't have an orange strap on mine, which is not everyone's cup of tea... but it's of course an option>

I agree with everything said here. And I made a mistake earlier, I thought you had the chrono 26420 with the taupe face. My mistake. I would do the trade.
Old 19 August 2023, 01:17 AM   #14
arnage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that one's awesome - and I think people had been clamoring for a diver with a metallic case + ceramic bezel for some time. the contrast really works, for a sport/diving watch. I'd love to handle one in person at some point.
Old 19 August 2023, 01:41 AM   #15
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that one's awesome - and I think people had been clamoring for a diver with a metallic case + ceramic bezel for some time. the contrast really works, for a sport/diving watch. I'd love to handle one in person at some point.
Yeah I like that it’s white gold and the colored accents are golden/tan in hue, super under the radar but the right touches to make you pause and think ‘hmm this one’s a bit different?’
Old 19 August 2023, 02:50 AM   #16
aircharger
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This was super helpful, thank you! Do you by any chance know which years have the different brushing?

I’ll try to get my hands on one to check it out first.
Old 19 August 2023, 05:17 AM   #17
arnage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernesto50 View Post
This was super helpful, thank you! Do you by any chance know which years have the different brushing?

I’ll try to get my hands on one to check it out first.
Hi, glad that you found it helpful. The 15707 remains as one of my favorite watches, and I wear it more frequently than the other traditionally "more sought-after" watches, such as the 15202

The numerical serialization on the 15707 is hard to decipher, and I don't know if they were serialized incrementally, 1 after another. I think they were all part of the 'i' series (which is likely 2013-2014/15, thereabouts?..). Mine is an i series. I can't say with certainty whether all 15707ce units were i serials, so it would be hard to determine at what point the non-brushed bezels ended and the brushed bezels began.

What we know is that the 15706 carbon diver was introduced at SIHH 2012 (most of these seem to be 'h' serials); and the 15707 ceramic diver came through at SIHH 2013. so there could very well have been a transition period where production of the 15707 began and they used up the remaining non-brushed ceramic bezels from the 15706 -- which, to my knowledge, only ever came with the rainfall non-brushed bezel.

Whatever the case may be, it's pretty obvious in good lighting whether the bezel is brushed or non-brushed. so if it's the former that you're after, it'll be easy to tell. And the non-brushed 15707 is pretty rare to begin with, so I wouldn't worry too much about landing a non-brushed bezel ceramic diver.. unless you're buying without pictures / sight-unseen! which is doubtful at such a pricepoint.

good luck with the hunt; either way you go, the diver is a versatile and fun AP, so you're ahead of most of the pack already..
Old 19 August 2023, 06:08 AM   #18
marc2828
"TRF" Member

I have been after the 15707ce for a while but very few around and hard to get price under 35k. Here are some shots on my wrist and compared to carbon 44mm and the 26402CE which I ended up buying.

Old 19 August 2023, 06:10 AM   #19
marc2828
"TRF" Member

https://davidsw.com/shop/watch/audem...shore-diver-7/

This dealer has one and is very reputable.
Old 19 August 2023, 06:23 AM   #20
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://davidsw.com/shop/watch/audem...shore-diver-7/

This dealer has one and is very reputable.
His first (main) pic on that watch makes it look horrible haha. Can’t believe they’re using that as the default
Old 20 August 2023, 07:59 AM   #21
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
I would trade as I too prefer the stick indices and ceramic bezel (scratch resistance and contrasts the screws). I went with 15706au for forged carbon case and I love the sporty black and yellow color combo. Also prefer the weight utilizing some titanium as well. It all comes down to personal preference, but this is my favorite AP. I like the wet dial of previous models as well. Good luck. Btw, appears the 15706 also has brushed bezel if I understand the discussion above? Beautiful ceramic bezel with brushed and polished surfaces. Pics don't do it, or the wet dial justice. I think I recall the 15707 doesn't have the wet dial though?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 04:07 PM   #22
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

I would take the ceramic diver over any of the current steel models (which I like as well). Still hoping for a new edition of the CE diver (w/o any inside info), which would probably be priced in the ball park of the CE music edition.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 12:22 AM   #23
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I would take the ceramic diver over any of the current steel models (which I like as well). Still hoping for a new edition of the CE diver (w/o any inside info), which would probably be priced in the ball park of the CE music edition.
Why don't you be CN diver brothers with me
Old 21 August 2023, 11:44 AM   #24
arnage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
I would trade as I too prefer the stick indices and ceramic bezel (scratch resistance and contrasts the screws). I went with 15706au for forged carbon case and I love the sporty black and yellow color combo. Also prefer the weight utilizing some titanium as well. It all comes down to personal preference, but this is my favorite AP. I like the wet dial of previous models as well. Good luck. Btw, appears the 15706 also has brushed bezel if I understand the discussion above? Beautiful ceramic bezel with brushed and polished surfaces. Pics don't do it, or the wet dial justice. I think I recall the 15707 doesn't have the wet dial though?

Yes, the 15706 has the "wet" appearing dial, whereas the 15707 doesn't appear this way; I don't know for certain why this is, but there's speculation that the wet ones were rose engine cut, and the non-gloss ones (basically 15707, 15710 onwards) are stamped mega-tapisserie dials.

As to the bezel, the 15706 ceramic bezel is colloquially referred to as a "rainfall" one, as the brushing isn't overtly linear / straight throughout, but appears like rainfall (which seems evident in your picture). the brushed 15707 bezel has very apparent vertical brushing -all the way through from top to bottom of the bezel-- when seen in the right lighting.
Old 21 August 2023, 12:02 PM   #25
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Quote:
Yes, the 15706 has the "wet" appearing dial, whereas the 15707 doesn't appear this way; I don't know for certain why this is, but there's speculation that the wet ones were rose engine cut, and the non-gloss ones (basically 15707, 15710 onwards) are stamped mega-tapisserie dials.

As to the bezel, the 15706 ceramic bezel is colloquially referred to as a "rainfall" one, as the brushing isn't overtly linear / straight throughout, but appears like rainfall (which seems evident in your picture). the brushed 15707 bezel has very apparent vertical brushing -all the way through from top to bottom of the bezel-- when seen in the right lighting.
Thanks. Much appreciated. I definitely prefer the wet dial look, but will have to pay more attention to the difference in brushed bezels. Although my pic has dust and lint on it, I think I know what you're talking about. Although minimal, I may like the rainfall better, but definitely wouldn't be a deal breaker either way. Both of these watches are great and comes down to personal preference. I'm a sucker for black and yellow combos and look fwd to placing mine on a yellow strap. Thanks again and take care.

jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote