The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 March 2020, 01:19 PM   #1
"TRF" Member

Lange Odysseus

Hey,
Just checking in to see if anybody has news about release dates and quantities.
I'm starting to stretch out my fingers. Is this going to be the next nautilus hype?
0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 03:32 PM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0315 View Post
Hey,
Just checking in to see if anybody has news about release dates and quantities.
I'm starting to stretch out my fingers. Is this going to be the next nautilus hype?
The factory is shut for an indeterminate period, AD’s and Boutiques are shut.

The piece is on application only and you need to of submitted an application listing your previous Lange’s. The future, especially at the moment, is an unknown!
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 05:23 PM   #3
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Lange isn't going to make many and you have to bundle to get one. Previous purchases, unless they were huge $, don't help.
But, take heart, by the time the Odysseus hits the market the entire watch craze will be over and you'll be able to get one in the secondary market at a discount. In the future (which has already arrived) you won't be able to, safely, get close enough to anyone to see what watch they're wearing. Durable, easily recognizable pieces like a Rolex Submariner will suffice, even for watch aficionados. Offbeat watches will have zero cachet.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 09:00 PM   #4
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Lange isn't going to make many and you have to bundle to get one. Previous purchases, unless they were huge $, don't help.
But, take heart, by the time the Odysseus hits the market the entire watch craze will be over and you'll be able to get one in the secondary market at a discount. In the future (which has already arrived) you won't be able to, safely, get close enough to anyone to see what watch they're wearing. Durable, easily recognizable pieces like a Rolex Submariner will suffice, even for watch aficionados. Offbeat watches will have zero cachet.
Who is buying an offbeat watch so that others will recognize it? I would argue most people are buying offbeat watches precisely so that nobody would bother them.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 09:28 PM   #5
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You certainly don't need to bundle in the UK and the form I filled out was a universal Lange Boutique form for submission to the factory for an allocation.
Old 30 March 2020, 09:55 PM   #6
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
You certainly don't need to bundle in the UK and the form I filled out was a universal Lange Boutique form for submission to the factory for an allocation.
Hm. I just gave my name in London. Absolutely love the watch but not sure that it's not too big for my wrist.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 12:33 AM   #7
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Definitely a different approach in the U.S., or at least NYC, anyway. More of a "we'll let you know, but we're not making many". I love the watch and have been very enthusiastic about getting one since the launch. What I have difficulty understanding about luxury watch makers is their reticence about committing to producing a $30K watch for a willing buyer, especially when the launch was as poorly reviewed as was that of the Odysseus. Lange would seem to prefer to produce watches that don't sell than those that would. But I'm sure they have a master plan.
Meanwhile, their factory and boutiques are closed so the point is moot.
Old 31 March 2020, 12:46 AM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Definitely a different approach in the U.S., or at least NYC, anyway. More of a "we'll let you know, but we're not making many". I love the watch and have been very enthusiastic about getting one since the launch. What I have difficulty understanding about luxury watch makers is their reticence about committing to producing a $30K watch for a willing buyer, especially when the launch was as poorly reviewed as was that of the Odysseus. Lange would seem to prefer to produce watches that don't sell than those that would. But I'm sure they have a master plan.
I think the 'we'll let you know, but we're not making many' was stage one as I got the same when the piece was launched - this then moved in February to being requested to fill out and submit an application form and then finally to finding out if the allocation application was successful. As you say, its now a moot point!
Old 31 March 2020, 01:43 AM   #9
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think the 'we'll let you know, but we're not making many' was stage one as I got the same when the piece was launched - this then moved in February to being requested to fill out and submit an application form and then finally to finding out if the allocation application was successful. As you say, its now a moot point!
Thanks for the feedback, it gives me encouragement. The Odysseus is the only watch I've been interested in purchasing in the last two years and I've been put off by the lukewarm response, from Lange, to my enthusiasm.
Old 31 March 2020, 04:36 AM   #10
"TRF" Member

thanks for the feedback, I spoke to my German AD and they got informed they receive ONE Odysseus in 2020. So obviously Lange is not swarming the market, which is good. Application form is new information, but if that's the case I'm fine with it. Seems like everyone is going down the same route these days. In the sake of keeping the value high I can certainly agree in this strategy, even if it takes me longer to get a watch. Lets wait and see, thanks again for the information.
Best
0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 01:27 PM   #11
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I offered to pay up front for one in the Miami boutique in February and was told that they were only going to established customers and, hint, hint, maybe I would like to pick something for myself or my wife...
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 05:14 PM   #12
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
I offered to pay up front for one in the Miami boutique in February and was told that they were only going to established customers and, hint, hint, maybe I would like to pick something for myself or my wife...
Yep, that sounds very familiar.
Old 31 March 2020, 05:25 PM   #13
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
Well if you're not an existing customer they won't put you to the front of the queue

What did you expect, the piece was launched in October (but widely known to be coming out 6 months before) so most purchase requests were made many months ahead of your enquiry in February?
Old 1 April 2020, 07:45 AM   #14
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well if you're not an existing customer they won't put you to the front of the queue

What did you expect, the piece was launched in October (but widely known to be coming out 6 months before) so most purchase requests were made many months ahead of your enquiry in February?
I actually expected to be refused. I was not upset. I posted this only in response to the no bundling requirement in the UK you posted to illustrate that my experience was different. While they did not use the word "bundle" they made it obvious that if I purchased one or two other pieces I would get one. They told me they were being allocated 1 per month. All good.
Old 1 April 2020, 09:57 PM   #15
anselm
"TRF" Member

I think the biggest issue is they have only limited production capability so it impacts how many that they could launch in the first phase. Hopefully they can get production up as the watch has surprised me. The bracelet has grown on me and the fit is really nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 406891CF-9995-4416-9D13-40549E7C2A0D.jpeg (68.0 KB, 863 views)
File Type: jpeg CF895CCB-57CC-4EFE-8F80-B6A1EAB82A84.jpeg (64.5 KB, 851 views)
File Type: jpeg 5E47B550-B929-4125-9980-61D89A977F57.jpeg (76.1 KB, 863 views)
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 03:05 AM   #16
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Looks great!
Old 6 April 2020, 05:01 AM   #17
fmc000
Banned

I'm definitely a bracelet guy but I have to say that this watch looks much better on strap.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 05:40 AM   #18
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
I'm definitely a bracelet guy but I have to say that this watch looks much better on strap.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
Agreed 100%. Hopefully down the line they'll release their own straps that integrate with the lugs better too.
Old 6 April 2020, 01:33 PM   #19
impinth06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They asked me to spend $40k more to reach $100k to be considered. I was disappointed because I admire their watch, any purchase I made from now on would be seen as a bundle, not my love of watches. I hates it.
impinth06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 04:25 PM   #20
DGB
"TRF" Member

I spoke to an AD early March, the manager said the watch is on waiting list. Looks like ALS jumped the wagon of giving hard times to interested buyers.
Unless the crisis will hit them and they come to their senses.

Nice watch, I must admit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 04:56 PM   #21
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
I spoke to an AD early March, the manager said the watch is on waiting list. Looks like ALS jumped the wagon of giving hard times to interested buyers.

I agree. They could have had my commitment and deposit months ago. Now I'd rather wait and see how bad this economic calamity gets before I spend that kind of money. And the field alternatives has grown. How long before PP 5711s are trading under $40K?
Old 6 April 2020, 06:22 PM   #22
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post

A but harsh imo.
What do you expect from a company with a yearly output of 6000 watches which all depends on a large degree of craftmanship.

These watchmakers don‘t grow on trees and I am sure that if Lange could increase their production of the Odysseus, they‘d certainly do.

Let‘s guess - Odysseus probably accounting for 10% of their annual production. This is 600 pieces - you still want to speak about artificial holdback of supply and that they are out of their senses?
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:24 PM   #23
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
How long before PP 5711s are trading under $40K?
Are you interested in Lange or in trophywatches?
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 04:54 PM   #24
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
Are you interested in Lange or in trophywatches?
I am interested in trophy watches from Lange.
Old 7 April 2020, 04:57 PM   #25
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impinth06 View Post
They asked me to spend $40k more to reach $100k to be considered. I was disappointed because I admire their watch, any purchase I made from now on would be seen as a bundle, not my love of watches. I hates it.
Pretty ridiculous. I don't think Lange is remotely in a position to be pulling antics like that given how soft their used market is anyways.

Personally, I'd just give them the middle finger and wait for these to hit the used market in a year or so and enjoy a steep discount.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 04:58 PM   #26
dauster
"TRF" Member

I liked it when I tried it on but not enough to play the game ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4486EC56-F16F-446C-91FD-925FD2ECA7A7.jpeg (286.4 KB, 605 views)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 05:06 PM   #27
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
A but harsh imo.
What do you expect from a company with a yearly output of 6000 watches which all depends on a large degree of craftmanship.

These watchmakers don‘t grow on trees and I am sure that if Lange could increase their production of the Odysseus, they‘d certainly do.

Let‘s guess - Odysseus probably accounting for 10% of their annual production. This is 600 pieces - you still want to speak about artificial holdback of supply and that they are out of their senses?
Good points, and all true. As with most serially produced watches, these will eventually hit the secondary market and be available to frustrated buyers there, possibly, even at a discount to retail.
Old 11 April 2020, 04:11 PM   #28
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
The Odyesseus is going to be a new line and this first steel version will be one of many. I wouldn't sweat it if you couldn't get the first model as more will surely be available as the line expands.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 11:31 PM   #29
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I absolutely loved it, but given the choice of an Odysseus or a 5711, I would choose the Patek. That is where I am expending my energies currently.

Why? Only one reason: my tiny wrists. At 6”, the Lange wears too large, though I would add, not immensely so. In the flesh, the Odysseus is a striking watch and even makes the Patek seem clumsy and old-fashioned.

I believe in the medium term, it will be considered a huge success.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 02:19 AM   #30
macct
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Pretty ridiculous. I don't think Lange is remotely in a position to be pulling antics like that given how soft their used market is anyways.

Personally, I'd just give them the middle finger and wait for these to hit the used market in a year or so and enjoy a steep discount.
I tried getting an anniversary model last year, and was basically told to buy a second watch or leave a deposit of $15K for a watch in the future. I find this really off-putting, especially being a Lange owner. ADs are basically being forced out and it doesn't matter what relationships have been built over the years.

I am not sure what to think of the Odysseus. It looks okay in photos, so it is probably much nicer in person. I didn't even try to reach out to the boutique, though, already knowing what their response would be. With so many other options in the market, I rather go elsewhere (actually did go elsewhere).

At this point, I am down to a single Lange, a perpetual. I don't think I will buy a new Lange at this point when there are so many other options. While I still think the watches are great, their sales tactics will come back an haunt them as they turn off so many past and potential buyers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 65D226FE-647C-492C-9703-157EAC1D0E11_1_201_a.jpeg (216.1 KB, 466 views)
macct is offline   Reply With Quote