The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 4 February 2007, 07:43 AM   #1
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Icon11 Why Panerai?

Need some input on Panerai. I am not trying to offend anyone who owns a Panerai; I just don’t get the fascination with the brand. I am very aware of the fact it is fine Italian watch with a history which includes manufacturing watches for Italian soldiers during World War II.

My Rolex AD, who sells Panerai over the years, has tried to get me to bite on one, but I just can not get over Rolex, so I usually buy another Rolex. I am hoping that someone on this forum who owns Panerai and Rolex can give me some helpful opinions.

Thanks
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 07:48 AM   #2
amanda
Banned

Go poke around on www.paneristi.com in the forum especially. Alot of the charm of Panerai is the community. You'll see slogans like 'M8s is GR8' and 'So much more than a watch'

Do a search on 'Rolex' over there and you'll also see that alot of ristis started out as either Rolex fans or own both brands side by side and love them for what each brand brings.

I'll let Atomic, or Launch Mini or Avalon, or djemmtee or one of the other Panerai guys give you more info on the actual watches....
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 08:25 AM   #3
walds11
"TRF" Member

I own a Rolex Sub Date and Panerai PAM 112H. I started with Panerai watches just over 4 years ago. I love the styling and the community of Panerai watches. I could go one forever about it, but as Amanda said, go check out paneristi.com or the Panerai forum over at Timezone.com and you'll get a feel for what it's all about..
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 08:39 AM   #4
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I own a Rolex Sub Date and Panerai PAM 112H. I started with Panerai watches just over 4 years ago. I love the styling and the community of Panerai watches. I could go one forever about it, but as Amanda said, go check out paneristi.com or the Panerai forum over at Timezone.com and you'll get a feel for what it's all about..
Walds your post count is exactly 112 above as well.. COOOL!!!
Old 4 February 2007, 08:55 AM   #5
walds11
"TRF" Member

Good catch Amanda. I was thinking of not posting and leaving it that way :) I am looking at getting a 104, but I passed that.
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 08:59 AM   #6
amanda
Banned

Thats ok I captured it!!!

Panerai may not be for everyone. If you are slightly curious your best bet would be to meet up with someone that has a few and try it out for an hour or so... sometimes being away from the AD environment helps with decision making!!!

EDIT: I'm such a doofus - you've already owned Panerai so you know what its all about!! Stay with the Base love I reckon!!!
Old 4 February 2007, 01:50 PM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
There really is no explanation for it, it is alot of fun and the community of owners is really cool. I have personally met guys and gals from all over the globe, had gifts show up from all over the globe and sent gifts all over the globe.

The watch has a neat history with connections to Rolex and the Italian navy, and that is a plus.

But it is just one of those things that it either fits ya or it doesn't. I was a hardcore Rolex owner for a few years, but the last 2 plus years I have went from a WIS to just a PANERISTI.

My signature was written along time ago as an answer to your very question.

Here is an old pic of mine, my collection has changed since then, but it is still heavily PAM friendly.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 06:07 PM   #8
miner
"TRF" Member

Apart from the fact that its a pretty solid watch, I just really like the "look" of the Pam's - the base models or the Luminor autos (not sure about the Radomir, sub or gmt models).

It is a big watch but it wears really well with a decent strap. And of course you can change the straps and hence change the look. I haven't worn my 164 on the straps that came with the watch because I have a couple of after market straps that are wonderful, soft and very comfortable eg....

Greg Crazy Horse

GeF Incursore waterproof

IMO there's only one look for a Rolex and that's the one you get when you buy it - ss or tt or gold or you could go the nato route, you know the one JJ loves so much
With a Pam, buying the watch is just the start!

And like the good people at TRF, the Paneristi are incredible when it comes to help and that includes buying a watch. I don't have an AD in Perth so a Paneristi in the States (Bob Q) helped out. I have bugged lots of folk with pm's for advice and they have all come back with friendly replies.

Get one and try it! It's a great affliction!

Last edited by miner; 4 February 2007 at 09:42 PM..
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Thanks for all of the great input, I checked out several of the sites suggested. I also like the idea suggested that I spend some time away from an AD looking into the watches. I think it’s neat to have a simple question and get so much positive input. Thanks again
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 02:11 AM   #10
Southern Jessie

For me I think some Panerai models (older ones eg the Pre-V 202A, 203A, 201A) look better than any modern Rolex. Panerai in general is more distinctive and offers the choice of different looks with the various straps on offer. If Panerai still had a Rolex movement I think it would be the ultimate watch.

I was like you until I saw a PAM02 in the window of a grey dealer. I loved the 3,6,9 look like my Explorer and ended up selling the Explorer as it got no wrist time.

You can't make yourself like a watch but give it time, maybe Panerai will grow on you.
Southern Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 02:28 AM   #11
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Let me play devil's advocate here, Rich. I think Panerai is a great brand and a distinctive looking watch. It's got a good history behind it as well. But as much as I've tried to like them, they just don't do it for me. I've tried several on and they just don't sit right. It's not that they're too big. I've got a 43.5 mm Breitling Olympus and a 44 mm Glycine Airman 9, so size is not an issue. Perhaps it's that oversized crown guard, maybe it's the simplicity of the face (which I know is what draws many people to the watch). The only PAM I would ever even consider is the 88.

You've really just got to test wear them to see if they are right for you.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 04:39 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Tried on a friend's Panny once and I thought its 44 mm size looked pretty good as I do have fairly large wrists. But would I buy one? No.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 04:42 AM   #13
bigG

Watch: My TT Sub/Daytona
I also don't get the Panerai fascination. I have no doubts about the watches quality, history, etc. It's just the look of the watch. They look very plain and just don't seem to grab you.

Everytime I go into my AD I look at them but just can't see it. And, I don't think I can ever remember anyone I have met having one on, unlike Rolex, Breitling, Omega, etc. who are much more common. Anyway, not dissing the brand, just trying to figure out their appeal.
bigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 04:45 AM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigG View Post
I also don't get the Panerai fascination. I have no doubts about the watches quality, history, etc. It's just the look of the watch. They look very plain and just don't seem to grab you.

Everytime I go into my AD I look at them but just can't see it. And, I don't think I can ever remember anyone I have met having one on, unlike Rolex, Breitling, Omega, etc. who are much more common. Anyway, not dissing the brand, just trying to figure out their appeal.
It's a kinda brand you either like or you don't. While I do admire the brand and appreciate the superb quality and finish that goes into each watch, I don't think it really appeals to me.

My wife loves them - she fell in love with the brand the first time she saw it up close and personal in "The Transporter" movies!! But I really wouldn't want one in my collection.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 04:59 AM   #15
----

Quote:
Replace "Panerai" with "Rolex" in that sentence and it pretty much sums up my views on the brand. I guess that's why there are different watches for different people.
Old 5 February 2007, 05:06 AM   #16
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Avalons post x2
There are a lot of nice watches out there. Doesn't mean I like them all.
I have a few brands in my small collection. Just whatever makes me/you smile.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 06:02 AM   #17
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
Need some input on Panerai. I am not trying to offend anyone who owns a Panerai; I just don’t get the fascination with the brand. I am very aware of the fact it is fine Italian watch with a history which includes manufacturing watches for Italian soldiers during World War II.

My Rolex AD, who sells Panerai over the years, has tried to get me to bite on one, but I just can not get over Rolex, so I usually buy another Rolex. I am hoping that someone on this forum who owns Panerai and Rolex can give me some helpful opinions.

Thanks

I cant explain the facination about panerai, but like some of the other members said, you either get it or you dont. I love the fact that if you change the strap the watch can be ultra trendy, dress or basic. The options are endless, just obtaining the time piece is step one, now researching about all the strap options is a whole new animal.

Check out timezone, the members there are extremely helpful.

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 06:29 AM   #18
bigG

Watch: My TT Sub/Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Replace "Panerai" with "Rolex" in that sentence and it pretty much sums up my views on the brand. I guess that's why there are different watches for different people.
True enough, however, I think it is a little different with Panerai (IMHO). For example, I am not a big JLC fan, don't hate them but would not go out and spend my hard earned money on them. Now if someone bought me one I would certainly wear it as I can appreciate their style, etc. If someone bought me a Panerai I honestly can say I would not wear it because I just don't like the look of them. My experience is that people's passion for Panerai's are more intense on each spectrum, they love em or would not be caught dead in one.
bigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 06:35 AM   #19
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Don't forget, most of the people here on TRF "LOVE" Rolex.
Guys on JLC, Ulysse Nardin, Panerai ...... might look over hear and say "what is it with those Rolex guys"
Nothing wrong with it.
Now the Jacobs forum, that is a completely different set of rules

Member # 293
Old 5 February 2007, 08:03 AM   #20
----

Quote:
If someone bought me a Panerai I honestly can say I would not wear it because I just don't like the look of them.
Again, I feel the same about Rolex. I would like someone to give me one, but only so I could sell it to fund something I really want (like another JLC for instance).

It's all about personal tastes.
Old 5 February 2007, 08:07 AM   #21
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

We were looking at the JLC's last night. Some very sweet watches.
I had the 8 day Reverso on my wrist. Very nice, but not something I would wear enough.
The Moon phase was there, but the dark dial was not as nice as the white dial.

Member # 293
Old 5 February 2007, 10:25 AM   #22
amanda
Banned

For me Panerai was like... I'd see pictures and go 'oh yeh alright looks ok but they are sooo HUGE'... then I started digging a bit deeper and saw the awesome community... the Rolex GMT Pepsi wasnt talking to me anymore, in fact I HATED how it looked on my wrist, it just didnt sit on me right and the bracelet as much as I love the look of them DROVE me nuts! So I went into the AD and low and behold he had a 111 out the back, he brought it out and I took off the plastic... and saw the most beautiful watch ever! Put it on my wrist and it was just jumping out at me... the sandwich dial was awesome and the colour of the strap suited my complexion perfectly.

After that I walked around to my local second hand dealer and he gave me on the spot about $200 less than I paid for the GMT.. I sold it on the spot and put the money straight down on my 111. I didnt miss the GMT at all. I knew then it well and truly wasnt for me. After that I started freaking out again about the 44mm size as you all know... now I have done the full circle and await another 44mm to arrive at the AD.

Currently I am wearing a 38mm Alpha with the oyster style bracelet. It still doesnt sit well on my wrist.. it moves a round a bit but the experience of wearing this watch has taught me that I'd probably love a 34mm or 36mm Rolex - so an AK would be good to have as something more dressy and for those occasions when I wouldnt want something as obvious as the Panerai on my wrist....