The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 2 February 2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Rolexiva
"TRF" Member

Bremont Martin Baker II (MB II)-- Not So Fast : A Review

Consider me among those diseased by an appreciation for high-quality watches and who cherish the chance for alternatives to the Rolex line, to include watches from innovative, up and coming manufactures. If Google Trends is any measure, Bremont, to include the MB II, is an up and coming brand and model, and reviews tend to gush merit over this particular watch.

Hardened steel casing, quality ticks to the timer bezel, significantly robust leather and nylon straps, modified out-of-house movement, shock absorber and anti-magnetic qualities at a likely attractive price point with reported durability tests for cockpit seat ejection-- give the impression of an ultimate utility watch while brandishing some color that ekes quality.

The problem is that the Martin Baker II (MB II) does not quite nail it. Perhaps at the currently listed price point of $5200 USD this is okay. Let me explain.

The dial has too many colors and markers in all the wrong places distracting the effort to tell the time. The yellow lasso at the beginning of the second hand draws attention away from the end of the second hand, which arguably is the more important end of this needle (!). The red triangle above the center of the watch draws the eye too inward rather than towards the outside of the dial, where again, time is to be told. Where one would think Arabic numerals at every hour mark would enhance the pilot watch tendency for exactitude, the eye gets slightly lost when tracing the hour and minute hand among those digits. Yes, the multiple layers of AR coating reduce glare and improve general legibility. In less than a fully lit room, like a watch store, something to all the colors, print, and numbers cause the time to less than stand out. Categorized as a pilot watch, the MB II dial design is more tribute to those pilots who have departed their aircraft by way of a Martin Baker ejection seat than a design exuding legibility and utility that are general hallmarks of the pilot watch category.

These criticisms of the dial aside, the day and date windows are nicely finished; indicative of an overall effort to deliver a quality product. I appreciate the depth of the dial, provided mostly through the bezel timer sloping down to the dial. This characteristic comes across less in photos.

Meanwhile, the MB II case definitely exudes quality and durability.

The case finish and its hardness provide a welcome and distinctive mix I have not found through other manufacturers. I don’t have the data in front of me, but other reviews have cited numbers suggesting the metal hardness on the MB II exceeds that of the current Rolex sport line. The significance is that the case will be super scratch resistant. Meanwhile, the matte brushed finish is very welcome in a market flooded with shiny, polished steel.

Connecting into the movement, the two crowns are well sized to adjust the time/date and bezel timer. Turning either suggests strong attention to quality—very little to no play in other words.

Around the wrist, the leather strap is decent and the nylon strap resembles what I have seen of modern military spec straps. As a general comparison, the quality and resiliency of the MB II nylon strap is far beyond the standard NATO strap. Going back to the leather strap, a deployment buckle / clasp would be a welcome enhancement. It would reduce wear that occurs at the buckling point and would improve the daily wearability of the MB II. I understand this clasp is available as a separate purchase.

What is not available for around the wrist is a bracelet option for the MB II. This is a problem in aesthetics and function. On one hand the hardness and construction of the case, the anti-magnetic shield, and shock absorber ring surrounding the movement suggest an indestructible watch set for use across a range of climates and shock conditions. Going back to this Martin Baker ejection seat linkage, a pilot would not have a choice as to what climate to eject into--- cold, wet, a stinking jungle, or straight into the ocean. A leather or nylon strap soaks up moisture and in hot climates gets funky pretty quickly. Cold may be fine as long as all stays dry: a hopeful rather than likely situation. A bracelet is needed for the MB II to be more acceptable for outside use on a long term basis. A bracelet would also complement the durability characteristics of the case. The MB II as a package is otherwise a desk watch symbolic only of the conditions the case and innards are designed to endure.

A set of sports shoes I used for a season came with a slogan printed on the inside of the tongue that said: “Feet that feel good fly.” I think this slogan applies to watches, particularly watches like the MB II that draw associations with predicaments like ejecting from a supersonic aircraft (!). The watch’s band/bracelet/combination therefore needs to be super comfortable. For the brief time I had the MB II, the comfort on the wrist was not there. At the end of the long sleeve, the MB II does not fit well either-- whether it be sweater, dress shirt, or (maybe-- not sure) a flight suit. I’ll leave it to watch experts to explain how to improve the wear comfort of the MB II.

Knowing that I know nothing of movements, I will only say that given the power reserve is just 38 hours is understandable at the current suggested price point. Another ten hours would be nice.

Handle this watch and see it in person and you know it is a very solid build with appreciable attention to detail. All the published specifications strongly suggest a very durable watch. Yet durability can be built into many things and not necessarily provide the most desired functionality as a total package. The dial legibility, lack of a bracelet, and wear comfort issues keep this MB II from truly being an exceptional watch that I would retain.
Rolexiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2014, 11:23 PM   #2
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Thanks for the review. Any pics to add?

It sounds like the concerns are design versus quality related and I would agree with you... I am not a big fan of overly busy dials.

This is one of the brands that I have been developing an interest in. The main drawback for me is they definitely fall in the "looks large on the wrist watch category". That too is not for me. Still I like the story and reputation that Bremont has been building.

Thanks for the write up.
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2014, 11:38 PM   #3
Rolexiva
"TRF" Member

While I realize pics tend to be obligatory, no pics I could provide are better than what I have seen searching the web.

Regarding the MBII's size, I think the case size at 43mm is okay. Actually, the watch does not look as big as 43mm would suggest. I think that size can help with legibility if the dial design array is improved... It may be a matter of the shaping of the lugs so there is a better fit. As I mentioned I am not sure how that bit of watch design works.

Glad to hear the write up is helpful!
Old 3 February 2014, 07:55 AM   #4
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Pics ====> http://www.alt1tude.com/forum/album.php?albumid=87
Old 3 February 2014, 08:04 AM   #5
Rolexiva
"TRF" Member

Thanks for posting the link to those photos.

For all reading, those photos are of the Martin Baker I (MB I).

The above review was of the Martin Baker II (MB II).
Old 3 February 2014, 12:07 PM   #6
lewisanderson
"TRF" Member

Good review. I picked up an MBII (orange) last week. Agree that the dial is a little busy and that £3400 is a little steep. The hands have almost no play in them at all. Wish I could say the same about my Sub-C.
lewisanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 07:58 AM   #7
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Cool - thanks for the links with pics! Looks great!
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 10:07 AM   #8
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Thanks for the review.

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 11:01 AM   #9
CaptLeslie
"TRF" Member

I enjoyed reading your review of the MBII. The link above is actually a Limited Edition MBII with a display back and a blue barrel with a few MBI features on the dial and second hand. I don't understand why one thinks the dial is a little distracting, but that that's just me! Cheers Jim
CaptLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 02:22 PM   #10
Rolexiva
"TRF" Member

Ok! I appreciate the correction that that blue barrel with crystal back is a special edition MB II and not a MB I.

Going back to the barrel color comments, the orange barrel stands out in a good way. The green barrel provides a more subdued presentation yet also lends some character. And BTW, I hear the barrels can be changed out for a couple hundred USD.
Old 18 February 2014, 06:48 AM   #11
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Interesting review, thanks
Old 18 February 2014, 09:15 AM   #12
craniotes
Banned

I dunno, I find it to be highly legible and quite comfortable on the wrist myself.

In fact, I'm wearing one right now:

YMMV, clearly.

Regards,
Adam
craniotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 07:07 AM   #13
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexiva View Post

Handle this watch and see it in person and you know it is a very solid build with appreciable attention to detail. All the published specifications strongly suggest a very durable watch. Yet durability can be built into many things and not necessarily provide the most desired functionality as a total package. The dial legibility, lack of a bracelet, and wear comfort issues keep this MB II from truly being an exceptional watch that I would retain.
That's a very detailed review, but really what you told us is that this watch is not for you and those who live and work with their feet firmly planted on terra firma.

The target audience for this watch is pilots and especially pilots who fly strapped to an ejection seat.

I did some research on the Bremont brand recently because a friend of mine who was a fighter pilot during the war in Vietnam had heard about the relationship between Martin Baker, Bremont and the aviation community.

He'd never heard of Bremont in his flying days, so he wanted me to find out what the deal is and, as it turned out, Bremont has only been around since 2002, which explains why a pilot who flew fighters in the Sixties would have heard of Martin Baker, but not Bremont.

Anyway, during that research, it became quite clear that Bremont has a huge interest in the community of pilots whose lives depend on Martin Baker ejection seats, so I think that these watches meet the needs of that community quite well and as one might expect those whose lives are lived at Mach speeds have an ability to focus attention in ways that those of us who spend more time on land than we do in the air piloting super-sonic aircraft could fully understand.

I think your review is probably valid for the vast majority of humans, but the Bremont MB series is designed for a different breed altogether.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 09:20 AM   #14
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the review of this awesome watch!
Old 30 July 2014, 02:14 PM   #15
lewisanderson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisanderson View Post
Good review. I picked up an MBII (orange) last week. Agree that the dial is a little busy and that £3400 is a little steep. The hands have almost no play in them at all. Wish I could say the same about my Sub-C.
Six month update

My MBII had to be returned to the factory twice in four months. First time was for a misaligned day wheel and the second was because the sliding pinion split. The customer service was outstanding, but in the end I just wanted a watch that worked. I no longer have the watch and would think twice about another Bremont. Shame really, as it was a very nice looking watch.
lewisanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2014, 01:04 AM   #16
CaptLeslie
"TRF" Member

For those who think the MB11 dial is a little distracting Bremont has just released the MB111 with GMT hand! The dial is a little less cluttered with a 24 hour inner bezel rather than a minute ring! As far as reliability with the Bremonts this is my sixth Bremont and I treat them all as tool watches and they have been tough and reliable with no problems! I wouldn't hesitate to add another! Cheers Jim.
Old 24 September 2014, 01:32 PM   #17
71eh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nautilus, PAM001
Icon14

Great review. Yet, it could be differently perceived by many others. As the proud of owner of 3 Bremont watches (ATL-W, MBII B, SuperM) I do like their simple approach in construction and unique design (such inspiration from aviation). Yet, it may not be elegant or thoughtful design as you may point out, but it may be purposely designed in that way. Many Bremont watches are well tested with real life pilots and distributed to exclusive channel to be tested and touched. Also collected large numbers of feedback to make sure the use of their design elements can be both inspired and practical.

I know this could be only my opinion, but as the new watch brand less than 10 years, their achievement is astonishing. Glad that Bremont brand and its watches can be in the topic for reviewing and in critic!

71eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2014, 02:52 AM   #18
mjm800
"TRF" Member

I've owned several Bremonts and I loved them all. I have an MB II and I've had a U-2 DLC, ALT1-Z, BC-F1...and I have the Terra Nova on pre order review coming soon!

Great review and a great watch! The MB II is among my favorite watches in my collection.
Old 22 November 2014, 07:17 PM   #19
chillout
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Hi CaptLeslie,

I really like the blue/green/red stripe canvas strap with your MBIII. I didn't see it for sale on the Bremont website... can I ask where you got it? (The strap I mean).
Thanks!
chillout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 10:11 AM   #20
CaptLeslie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillout View Post
Hi CaptLeslie,

I really like the blue/green/red stripe canvas strap with your MBIII. I didn't see it for sale on the Bremont website... can I ask where you got it? (The strap I mean).
Thanks!
The strap is actually black with green stripes outlined in red. It is a 5 ring NATO strap with bronze hardware that I got from "The NATO STRAP company". They are very well made and very reasonably priced and come in all kinds of color combinations. Give them a look and have fun! Cheers Jim
Old 2 January 2016, 10:06 PM   #21
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
To the OP, an excellent review, thorough and thoughtful. And importantly, it spurred a lot of good responses and follow up. I've been interested in Bremont for about one year, visited their boutique in Manhattan a few times, tried on several pieces. They feel solid, the cases appear rugged and well made. The salesman was very knowledgeable, showed me a sample case and how its constructed, seems pretty good.
The dials of certain models are more clear and legible than others, and that little yellow loop on the second hand is a bit peculiar, it must be there for a reason, no?
Nevertheless, I think the brand has a good focus on the aviation theme, some good designs; reliability is something I'll have to research more, but Bremont is definitely on my short list of brands to try.
Old 8 March 2016, 07:28 AM   #22
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

The little loop on the second hand is symbolic of the bang seat ejection handle.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 08:18 AM   #23
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Thanks. Good to read an owner review of the Bremont. A mate of mine has an earlier model Bremont pilot (don't know the model) and loves it. I think that they are quite lovely watches. A good mix of style and solidity with just a tasteful enough bit of palatable marketing BS to go along with! It looks pretty legible to me, I never understood how pilots could wear Breitling Navitimers which I find almost completely unreadable. Interesting since the Breitling brand has become kind of trashed, Bremont can perhaps move in on that space.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 07:47 AM   #24
CaptLeslie
"TRF" Member

For those that think the Black dial MB11 is a little cluttered, Bremont is now offering a White dial MB11 that dials it down a notch! It is very easy to read and adds a new option to the growing MB line! I got to check it out a few weeks ago and I like it a lot! This might just be my next Bremont! Cheers Jim
Old 29 March 2016, 01:36 PM   #25
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
That's a very detailed review, but really what you told us is that this watch is not for you and those who live and work with their feet firmly planted on terra firma.

The target audience for this watch is pilots and especially pilots who fly strapped to an ejection seat.

I did some research on the Bremont brand recently because a friend of mine who was a fighter pilot during the war in Vietnam had heard about the relationship between Martin Baker, Bremont and the aviation community.

He'd never heard of Bremont in his flying days, so he wanted me to find out what the deal is and, as it turned out, Bremont has only been around since 2002, which explains why a pilot who flew fighters in the Sixties would have heard of Martin Baker, but not Bremont.

Anyway, during that research, it became quite clear that Bremont has a huge interest in the community of pilots whose lives depend on Martin Baker ejection seats, so I think that these watches meet the needs of that community quite well and as one might expect those whose lives are lived at Mach speeds have an ability to focus attention in ways that those of us who spend more time on land than we do in the air piloting super-sonic aircraft could fully understand.

I think your review is probably valid for the vast majority of humans, but the Bremont MB series is designed for a different breed altogether.
I'd like to point out that this comment was made prior to Bremont shooting themselves in the foot with their "in-house" movement and exposed themselves a just another wannabe watch company riding the coattails of aviation history with which they have only a dubious relationship at best.

Nothing could illustrate this fact more than the words of Nick English himself.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2016, 07:49 AM   #26
TommyLing
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLeslie View Post
I enjoyed reading your review of the MBII. The link above is actually a Limited Edition MBII with a display back and a blue barrel with a few MBI features on the dial and second hand. I don't understand why one thinks the dial is a little distracting, but that that's just me! Cheers Jim
Is that the red barrel MBII?
TommyLing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2016, 11:00 AM   #27
CaptLeslie
"TRF" Member

Yes, that is the Bremont Red Barrel MB1.cheers Jim.
Old 1 April 2016, 12:05 PM   #28
tomilg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, SD4K
@Captn Leslie,

Thanks for your service....and especially earning the "Red Barrel"!!!!

I looked at the MBII today and loved it....I think I'll pick it tomorrow!
tomilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 04:09 AM   #29
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLeslie View Post
Yes, that is the Bremont Red Barrel MB1.cheers Jim.
Great-looking piece
Old 12 May 2016, 06:28 AM   #30
DPE
"TRF" Member

One problem with the Review, You can purchase a Bracelet as a Seperate item for the MBII. So if this was a major issue for you, it has now gone away ! I was looking at them in London around November last year.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote