The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 6 June 2016, 08:28 AM   #1
dicedealer7
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Florence Boutique experience?

Hey everyone!
Has anyone been to the Florence Italy boutique?
Ill be there in 3 weeks and wanted to see if anyone had anything to say about it...
Ill hopefully be picking up my first Panerai (PAM000) and a few straps. So I was wondering what to maybe expect going straight to the PAM motherland instead of an AD or US boutique.
Think they would offer any discount to get the ''tourist'' to buy a watch?
Or perhaps a multi watch deal? (if the price is right a friend of mine might have me pick up one for him also)
thanks everyone.
dicedealer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2016, 09:50 AM   #2
joroz001
Banned

I was there last year. Unfortunately I had not yet really developed a taste for Panerai at the time... It is very nice spite and the service is outstanding, very knowledgeable staff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
joroz001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2016, 12:09 PM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

There are several large men in there keeping an eye on you. But the sales staff seemed nice enough. Can't remember all the details but with the vat / strong usd the price was decent. I wound up with my normal AD and bested the price, But w/o the nice Florence story to tell
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2016, 02:22 PM   #4
pakal
"TRF" Member

I was planning to buy my first PAM at the Firenze Boutique as well. I contacted them by email and they were fast and nice in replying back. They also suggested to contact them ahead of time my arrival so they can make sure to have any particular reference I'd like to see/try. You can apply for a 15% sales tax refund when travelling back to your country. Not sure if the Firenze Boutique is an exception but don't expect any discount. Depending on the model or the amount of your purchase you may be comped one or two straps or accessories.
pakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2016, 11:39 PM   #5
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I thought it was really cool (especially because it was just redesigned last year and is pretty big). They definitely carry a decent amount of inventory and the salespeople are really nice. let me also suggest that you take a trip to Stefano Bemer while you're there. They are a AMAZING cobbler (if you're a shoe guy youll want a couple pair...guarantee)...but ask the people working about straps for Panerai's (or Audemars, PP, Rolex etc etc) and say a friend of Tommaso's sent you. They can make you anything, out of any leather and they are AWESOME people...that would really make it special.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2016, 12:09 AM   #6
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
I went to their boutique 2 weeks after they refinished the interior. Its a gorgeous store and the staff is incredibly friendly. You'll save 15-18% back from the VAT refund because you don't have to pay their taxes if you live in the US. You won't get anymore discount on top of that though
Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2016, 12:56 PM   #7
tjjma
"TRF" Member

I been to several Panerai boutique stores and not a single one offer any discount. I'm pretty sure Florence will be the same. However, consider the VAT back (~15%) to be the discount. The good thing about buying in Europe is you can ask the boutique dealer to order a brand new one in box from their factory in Switzerland to the shop in a couple or few days. Generally the boutique shop only carry one model of a watch or couple if it's a popular model, but most likely each watch has been handled and tried on by prior customers.

The worst was the the NYC boutique shop. I live in CA and since they have a boutique shop in Beverly Hills, the NYC shop wouldn't offer a discount or relief on state sales tax. I walked down a few blocks on 5th ave and bought it for 15% less and zero sales tax.
tjjma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 05:09 PM   #8
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer-PAM233
The Johannesburg Boutique was the most friendly one I've ever seen..all the times I've been there, were all great experiences for me..
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 05:21 PM   #9
dicedealer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE 0 SE7EN View Post
The Johannesburg Boutique was the most friendly one I've ever seen..all the times I've been there, were all great experiences for me..
Did that boutique offer any incentive to buy? Or just straight Msrp?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2016, 04:21 AM   #10
Tudorpa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT; Panerai
Portofino

Bought a luminor marina at the Portofino boutique in 2005. No discount but got a great currency exchange and a new strap. I was able to select any one I wanted. Also was given a Pam cap, t-shirt and a really cool Pam beach bag.
Tudorpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2016, 10:11 PM   #11
bmwboris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
We were there in October last year.

The store itself was very unassuming from the outside- at the back of Il Duomo- but it was Panerai heaven inside!!!!

The staff were lovely, very helpful and knowledgeable. I was interested in the PAM00559, however due to the exchange rate, I found it was cheaper (for me at least based in Australia) to buy at home.

Definitely worth a visit however
bmwboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2016, 12:02 AM   #12
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I'm a little surprised that the boutiques won't entertain a discount yet I can squeeze 10% out of them on a 533 at the Panerai boutique here in Singapore.

I'd be interested to hear about any discounts at the Jo'burg boutique too because Mrs Van D is there about four times a year

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2016, 01:40 AM   #13
dicedealer7
"TRF" Member

*****Thread update***
Just pulled the trigger on the Pam 00000.
Didn't even make it to Florence because the main boutique doesn't have the 000 in stock (e- mailed them about it yesterday).
I found the last one here in Venice and it wasn't even on display in the Pam boutique which I thought was odd. Had to ask about it and they brought it out from the back.
They wouldn't move on price with the 000 but would on other models. With the 15% VAT refund, free strap (green alligator that they will ship when they get it from Panerai) and travel pouch, I'm pretty happy with the deal.

Old 29 June 2016, 04:07 AM   #14
brandon13
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! I will be passing by the Florence store next month...Question: what kind of break where you getting on the "other" models?
brandon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2016, 07:33 AM   #15
dicedealer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon13 View Post
Congratulations! I will be passing by the Florence store next month...Question: what kind of break where you getting on the "other" models?
5-10% from the Venice boutique. I didn't ask for these at all. They seemed to be pushing for the newer 8 days PAM560 with in house movement. But I wanted the classic 000 w/logo.

Old 17 July 2016, 07:58 PM   #16
descartes
"TRF" Member

I bought a Zero from the Firenze boutique three summers ago. Be forewarned, it is a difficult watch to get and I called several months in advance to have them hold one for me. They didn't have it in stock and low and behold they got one only a few days before I arrived, which they did hold, and I purchased. Great experience. No discount, but exchange rate is good and with VAT refund price was good.
Old 18 July 2016, 12:15 AM   #17
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
in addition to what I wrote above, the service and attention to detail in the Panerai boutique in Singapore is incredible. Better service than any Rolex AD or boutique I've been in. I went in to try the 312 last weekend and they popped open a bottle of wine and I had a glass with the GM of Panerai Singapore, who happened to be in store. I could've had champagne if I'd wanted but I prefer a nice red. I didn't buy but as I was leaving, they popped the cork back in the bottle and have it to me to take home. I'll be back to buy very soon and they know it

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 05:07 AM   #18
dicedealer7
"TRF" Member

Lucky with the wine! I got a cold coca cola offered to me. Maybe if I was buying a more expensive watch! Haha

Old 19 July 2016, 06:01 AM   #19
mfer
"TRF" Member

Nice! Congrats on the zero!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 02:55 AM   #20
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVC
Hi,
I was there back on July 6th. Agree with everyone else with regards to the professionalism of staff and beauty of the store.

I asked about the PAM000 and 005. There wasn't any there as I was told the Ref was discontinued. The newer model with the inhouse movement (not sure of ref#) was however.
I asked the price on the 564 and 104 that I like. They gave me numbers and mentioned the VAT return. No discounts.
With exchange rates the way they are for Canadian funds I will purchase from a seller here when I am ready.

Enjoy your trip! Italy is a life changer!!
5080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 04:33 AM   #21
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer-PAM233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicedealer7 View Post
Did that boutique offer any incentive to buy? Or just straight Msrp?

For example the 233 is 8700 usd after getting the tax back..
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 10:22 AM   #22
descartes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5080 View Post
Hi,
I was there back on July 6th. Agree with everyone else with regards to the professionalism of staff and beauty of the store.

I asked about the PAM000 and 005. There wasn't any there as I was told the Ref was discontinued. The newer model with the inhouse movement (not sure of ref#) was however.
I asked the price on the 564 and 104 that I like. They gave me numbers and mentioned the VAT return. No discounts.
With exchange rates the way they are for Canadian funds I will purchase from a seller here when I am ready.

Enjoy your trip! Italy is a life changer!!
Where I got my Zero at the Florence boutique I called several months in advance to have them reserve one for me. I kept checking and they didn't get a single one in until until a couple days before I arrived. When I got Florence I ran right over and picked it up.