The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 6 March 2017, 11:55 PM   #31
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Movements are either ETA-based, or increasingly in-house. I expect that eventually they will be 100% in-house. There is a list of in-house calibres on the website.

Early Panerai (Radiomir) cases were designed by Rolex, who also supplied movements.
Old 7 March 2017, 09:55 AM   #32
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
Thanks. I've done a lot of reading about the brand. I think current movements are either modified ETA or, recently, in house. Correct? At one time, I've read that Panerai used Patek pocket watch movements. Correct? I'm still in the learning mode. I researched Patek for 6 months before I bought my first one. I tend to enjoy the research as much as owning the watches.

Again, my comment wasn't about the watch.
Understood, Switzerland is if anything a little over civilised.

However please note:

Italy, a once great nation, that is now in huge national debt, and is printing money to get out of it, elected a ridiculous man with fake looking hair, who became known around the world for his off the planet comments, sexually molesting women, insulting other world leaders, rumoured to be playing with sex workers, and doing shady deals with dodgy characters.

Sound familiar? Make Italy great again?
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 10:57 AM   #33
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Panerai lume is excellent, certainly better than Rolex, so I would not let this put you off. Not sure what you mean by 'third world product'? Panerai are Swiss-made (the company origins are Italian). As with all other brands, including Rolex, resale value is very much dependant on specific models.
My Black Seal glowed like a torch, I've never seen anything like it since. Crazy lume!
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 11:27 AM   #34
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
How long does the Black Seal lume last?

My Rolex GMT lume, fully charged, last about 5 hours with readability and is quite faded after 8 hours. The GMT is about 1 year old so it is the newest Rolex lume. That's why I wear my Luminox at night. I am unlikely to outlive its tritium life.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 12:57 AM   #35
keithl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How long does the Black Seal lume last?

My Rolex GMT lume, fully charged, last about 5 hours with readability and is quite faded after 8 hours. The GMT is about 1 year old so it is the newest Rolex lume. That's why I wear my Luminox at night. I am unlikely to outlive its tritium life.
I never really did a test, sorry. But if you're looking for watch that is readable in the dark the sandwich dial Pams are far better then a Rolex... they have big markers and numbers that glow, the hands also have much more lume.
Old 8 March 2017, 01:39 AM   #36
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Yea, Panerai lume is in another league than what Rolex uses. Between the Panerai font and lume they use, I would say they are THE best lume in the industry. I believe we did a test years ago over on Panerist and the sausage dials were the brightest because the sandwich dials placed the lume below the dial restricting side view of the lume. Either dial, both are bright.
Old 8 March 2017, 02:22 AM   #37
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Aside from some micro-brand watches (Armida, Helson, etc), the best lume I've experienced has been from Panerai and Blancpain (Fifty Fathoms). Some Seikos (e.g. Monsters) are very good too, as is the Tudor Pelagos.
In terms of Trit tubes, Deep Blue, TAWATEC and Ball are worth a mention if you prefer this type of lume (similar to the OP's Luminox) i.e. constant if not dazzlingly bright.
Old 8 March 2017, 03:31 AM   #38
bmpwatch
"TRF" Member

the lume on my 176 is awesome- definitely better than the rolexes I have worn in the past.

the reason I suggest an ETA based model for a simple "base" panerai is that it is much easier and cheaper to get serviced when the time comes.

you should be able to get into a ETA base model for less than a Rolex
bmpwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 03:36 AM   #39
keithl
"TRF" Member

I just took this pic. My 512.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1388.jpg (26.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 8 March 2017, 03:45 AM   #40
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I recommend you look at the Panerai catalog. When i got my Panerai. I just looked in the catalog didn't know much about Panerai but when i saw the PAM 359 i knew that was the one i wanted.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 04:07 AM   #41
Rol604
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Panerai
In house doesn't mean the movement is better. It almost always mean it's more expensive.
Rol604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 05:09 AM   #42
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

X2. The Pam OPIII movement is built like a tank and keeps less than one second a month in my Pam 104.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol604 View Post
In house doesn't mean the movement is better. It almost always mean it's more expensive.
Old 8 March 2017, 05:17 AM   #43
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagwap View Post
Understood, Switzerland is if anything a little over civilised.

However please note:

Italy, a once great nation, that is now in huge national debt, and is printing money to get out of it, elected a ridiculous man with fake looking hair, who became known around the world for his off the planet comments, sexually molesting women, insulting other world leaders, rumoured to be playing with sex workers, and doing shady deals with dodgy characters.

Sound familiar? Make Italy great again?
Spot on!

I cannot believe what I've just read...

Italy, third world? Amazing! I am not Italian, but I live in Europe ...I guess in another third-world country.

Panerai makes great watches. The lume on my Base logo (Pam 000) glows like a torch and it is far better than the lume on my 14060m. I guess I like basic and non date models, the so called 'entry level' models are much more appealing. I guess that is the purist in me speaking :)

Panerai were using Rolex movements in the past. These models are very rare and highly collectible. So there is an 'Italian connection' somewhere there... or should I say 'Swiss'. It is confusing, isn't it? ;)
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 06:50 AM   #44
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
The 512 lume is impressive! From the picture above, much brighter than my GMT.

I am most attracted to the basic, hour minute, models. My GMT serves well as a more complex watch.

The 112 and 560 models look good. I don't really care if the movement is ETA or Panerai. The ETA movement is neat looking through the case back.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2017, 11:30 PM   #45
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The ETA movement is neat looking through the case back.

Sure is?

arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2017, 12:12 AM   #46
uzona
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41s blk and whit
Check out resellers

Quote:
I want to thank all the people who kindly and gently answered my questions.

I've pretty much decided against the Panerai. First, it doesn't feature tritium and I've been very disappointed with the lume on my Rolex GMT. My Luminox does a great job staying all night bright after 20 years. Second, by the time I've added the features want, I'm in the Rolex SubC price range and I have a third world product with a reported poor trade in value.

I did find the crown mechanism attractive as was the strap change feature. The watch design is attractive and the dials are appealing.

At around 30 to 40 percent off retail, my mind might change. Until then, I'll stick with a Rolex.
There are some ery reputqble, long standing reselllers areound that sell Pams at 30+ percent off. Only thing is you have to use them IF a warranty claim comes up. East and west coast have several. Many have been in biz 20+ years and have an excellent reseller rating 9/10 stars
Original box, manual and matching serial numbers.
Done this many times with Zenith, Omega and now Pams.
uzona is offline   Reply With Quote