The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2017, 08:50 AM   #1
brandxbrand
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Mitsukoshi dial conversion fit issue on 3570.50 Speedy

Hi all.

Recently I obtained a Mitsukohsi Dial/Hand package kit for a conversion project I wanted to do on my modern 3570.50 (watch purchased new in 2013). I purchased the full set of dial and hands in one bulk buy from someone who originaly bought from Ofrei but never got around the doing the project. I made sure all the parts were intended for the cal 1861 movement and though it would be all set.

I sent the watch off the my local maker a few days ago. Today he says the dial is not fitting correctly and the hands wont fit.

Upon some research I see the hands are commonly a little too tight to fit and require some 'encouragement' by filing down the holes so they are ever so slightly bigger, as noted here in reply number 4

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/spe...t-2592618.html

What I am confused about is the dial fit. In an email back it reads
"As for the dial, the dial feet are mounted in the wrong place. The problem with the dial feet is that they place the dial below center on the movment (i.e. to far towards 6:00).

The hands would then be rubbing against the dial, and this will lead to bad time keeping, low amplitude, and overall poor performance. Plus it will not be centered in the case.

The dial feet are straight so it is not a case of the dial being damaged in shipment.

The 064WK3052031 Dial I purchased is intended for Cal 1861 movement right, which mine is. Is there something else here that could be an issue or incorrect compatibility, or does he need to apply additional 'encouragement' to get the dial to fit.

Thank you in advance for any information you can supply. Desperate the get this going and back on my wrist as a panda!!
brandxbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 08:57 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Assuming you have the right parts (I am thinking you do).....is this a watchmaker someone that is familiar with Omega watches/ CW21 etc? My local watchmaker who is CW21 and does all the complex work for all Rolex/Omega ADs around here performed the swap quickly for me as part of a service (serviced the piece @ the same time since you'd disassemble anyway) and went smoothly....all original parts intact and returned. Maybe if your watchmaker needs help/pointers he can call other watchmakers that's done the swap....My guy is Tom Doan from D's Time Service here in San Diego....I'm sure he'd be ok answering some brief questions.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 09:11 AM   #3
brandxbrand
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Hi Sensui. Thanks for the reply.

The watchmaker claims he has experience with Omegas and Speedys although he has never done this project before. I have no reason to doubt his expertise but I'm really questioning things as everywhere I have read leads me to believe the dial I have (which was sealed and untinkered when I received) would fit cleanly on my cal 1861 Speedy.

At this point my watchmaker has reassembled to the original black dial/white hands and seems reluctant to want to try and screw things up- besides he says the dial is off centered. Maybe if you have a contact for Tom I can reach out and see if this is something he may be able to help with or at least confirm I am using the right parts and base model speedy.

Can I ask if you have a list of parts you used for your conversion? Also, what model did you use for the conversion? Was it modern (2010 or later) or an earlier 3570?

Thank you again!
brandxbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 09:29 AM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandxbrand View Post
Hi Sensui. Thanks for the reply.

The watchmaker claims he has experience with Omegas and Speedys although he has never done this project before. I have no reason to doubt his expertise but I'm really questioning things as everywhere I have read leads me to believe the dial I have (which was sealed and untinkered when I received) would fit cleanly on my cal 1861 Speedy.

At this point my watchmaker has reassembled to the original black dial/white hands and seems reluctant to want to try and screw things up- besides he says the dial is off centered. Maybe if you have a contact for Tom I can reach out and see if this is something he may be able to help with or at least confirm I am using the right parts and base model speedy.

Can I ask if you have a list of parts you used for your conversion? Also, what model did you use for the conversion? Was it modern (2010 or later) or an earlier 3570?

Thank you again!
Tom would certainly help you with that and he accepts mail in work, just give him a call to discuss. (http://www.dstimeservice.com/)

In terms of the parts, according to my records I used these:

Dial - 064wk3052031

Hands:
065WZ3915
066WZ3916
066QZ3917
066QZ3918
066QZ3919

In regards to the watch I used, I happened to have a 3570.50 I kept on the side that was minty that was very close in serial range to the Mitsukoshi serial range itself, so I used that to be consistent with the original release (as possible without actually having 1 of the limited 300 release hah).

Hope this helps, good luck.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote