The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2019, 07:49 AM   #1
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
rg tt dj36

I dropped by Sidney Thomas AD in Paramus NJ today. Very nice, helpful salespeople. Only good things to say about this establishment. Stock, however, was like what everyone else is reporting. Whole cases completely devoid of watches, multiple wall displays without a single item. It looked like they were going out of business. Saleslady said Xmas just about wiped them out. In their limited inventory was a smurf, rg diamond daytona, platona, 4 or 5 dd40s, a couple of dj36, and maybe 10 or so women's models.

As luck would have it, I walked in intending to try on a dj36 tt rg, and they had one in the case. Sorry, didn't take pictures, but it was this model with sticks instead of romans -

I was planning on my next acquisition being a tt yg model, but have to say after trying this on, rg is going to be a real contender. I wear maybe too much yg jewelry, and never tried anything rg on, but after seeing a rg tt piece next to a similar yg tt, rg has a much more modern appeal, IMO.

What are all ya'll's take on the new rg dj? Also, I know traditional wisdom is fluted bezel should be paired with jubilee bracelet. For rg however, I feel like the oyster may be better suited, as pictured above. What do you think?
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 07:52 AM   #2
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I think it looks great, but the most important thing is if YOU like it. It sounds like this piece really spoke to you and if it brings you enjoyment, that is all that matters. I agree with you; the fluted with the oyster bracelet looks great - better than the jubilee. Looking forward to seeing some wrist shots!!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 07:55 AM   #3
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

love the watch. personally prefer jubilee though on a dj36, especially if it has the hidden clasp
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 08:18 AM   #4
shapa
"TRF" Member

Out of curiosity, why are you looking at the DJ36 vs the DJ41? I have a 6.5 in wrist, and the DJ36 looked small when I tried it on. The DJ41 is actually 39.5mm and wears small on the wrist.
I also like the fluted bezel on Oyster.
shapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 08:40 AM   #5
jltait
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you looking at the DJ36 vs the DJ41? I have a 6.5 in wrist, and the DJ36 looked small when I tried it on. The DJ41 is actually 39.5mm and wears small on the wrist.
I also like the fluted bezel on Oyster.
Good question. I’ve tried on both. My wrist is about the same size as yours. I do prefer the classic 36mm size. The dj41 looks too big to my eyes, as if it’s wearing me as opposed to the other way around, though I know most men prefer it. I’m just a small watch kind of guy.
Old 19 January 2019, 08:45 AM   #6
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
love the watch. Personally prefer jubilee though on a dj36, especially if it has the hidden clasp
+1
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 08:59 AM   #7
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

I think the DJ 36 looks great in RG TT with the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet. I really like the dark rhodium dial for that configuration, but to each their own!

Not to derail the conversation, but does anyone have a sense on the discount you might be able to get with a RG TT DJ 36? It just so happens a co-worker has been asking me for advice on a DJ purchase. He's been gravitating towards the TT RG models. Given all the supply craze recently, I was wondering if this has had an impact on TT DJs and ADs' willingness to discount on price.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 09:09 AM   #8
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Actually I prefer the Oyster to the Jubilee in all cases. For me it's more durable and will last longer without repair!!! I like the RG watches and would have likely gone for the TT CHNR had it not worked out the way it did. I've seen way too many stretched out Jubilee bracelets!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 09:48 AM   #9
jltait
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
I think the DJ 36 looks great in RG TT with the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet. I really like the dark rhodium dial for that configuration, but to each their own!

Not to derail the conversation, but does anyone have a sense on the discount you might be able to get with a RG TT DJ 36? It just so happens a co-worker has been asking me for advice on a DJ purchase. He's been gravitating towards the TT RG models. Given all the supply craze recently, I was wondering if this has had an impact on TT DJs and ADs' willingness to discount on price.
I was looking for the rhodium too, but saw the white and it was an instant connection. Didn’t ask what they could do on price as I wasn’t prepared to buy today, but given their limited stock and the market right now, but guess is the best they would have done is eaten the tax.