The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 January 2020, 01:24 AM   #121
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
I think there are definitely two groups. The 'in' aren't necessarily big spenders, but they have a relationship. The 'not in' may be big spenders but haven't built the relationship. It all comes down to the basic issue of how to build a relationship with AP

Exactly this, I cringe sometimes when I read people refer to the type of relationship that I have and say that those types must be VVIPs. The bottom line is that although I’ve bought APs for over 15 years I know people who’ve bought more watches than me in 4 or 5 years but they’re very rich!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 01:26 AM   #122
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Your first post may have been a tad harsh, but not to the point of petulance. If we now take both your first and second posts as one, then I think you are bang on and I applaud you for the qualification you just made.

I think there are definitely two groups, those 'in' and those 'not in' favour with AP. The 'in' aren't necessarily big spenders, but they have a relationship. The 'not in' may be big spenders but haven't built the relationship. It all comes down to the basic issue of how to build a relationship with AP, of which there are many different ways to attempt to skin that cat.

For some of you your location is an automatic negative, too many of you to too few AD's/Boutiques, and so creating a point of difference and being on AP's radar and call back list is the challenge.

To those of us in less densely populated areas with more AD's/Boutiques then I don't see anything more powerful than 'pressing the flesh' with AP. If they KNOW you and they TRUST you then you won't be overlooked, but you have to achieve BOTH.

Nice post. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Exactly this, I cringe sometimes when I read people refer to the type of relationship that I have and say that those types must be VVIPs. The bottom line is that although I’ve bought APs for over 15 years I know people who’ve bought more watches than me in 4 or 5 years but they’re very rich!

100% spot on.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 01:38 AM   #123
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
I think that I came in a little too hot yesterday, and though I stand by everything I said, I do regret delving into any personal details of Austen. I only did so to illustrate why I thought AP's choice of him as an ambassador (I'm using this term loosely -- both AP itself and all articles on this mentioned him as collaborating on this, so he is a "de facto" ambassador if not an "official" one with that title like the golfers, for instance, are), but I reread my post and it definitely came off as salty towards him and as a bit of a personal attack when that wasn't my intent. He genuinely seems nice, I would do the exact same thing if AP chose me to collaborate on a U.S. edition (though that would be a horrible choice on their part), and I have absolutely no issue with him at all. My issue is entirely with AP here.

I do think that there's sort of two groups of people that participate in the AP forum here: the "old guard" that has a great relationship with AP and is treated wonderfully, and relative newcomers like me that really like AP's watches but have had a tough experience breaking into the brand and are becoming frustrated. Overall, this release really isn't a big deal at all -- AP released a new version of a watch and worked with one of its clients on the design. This watch alone will hardly affect anything. I think a lot of you that fall into the "old guard" category have this view, which is absolutely fair. Additionally, from everything I've heard, it sounds like AP does an absolutely phenomenal job of taking care of VIPs, and because of this, it's probably hard for those of you that have such a great experience with the brand to understand or believe that if you're outside of "the circle," you're basically ignored, and it's not as simple as being nice or buying watches to break into it. For the record, I have nothing against you guys and I'm not attacking you at all -- I hope that I can get my relationship sorted out with AP and join "the circle", and I probably will, even if it takes a few years.

For those of us that are frustrated with AP and are essentially not valued at all as customers, this was a frustrating release, as it's yet another watch that we have absolutely no chance of getting, and it seems like AP's taunting us. I've spent a solid chunk of change with them and can't even get them to return my calls for a steel or rose gold PC, which have been out for years and sell for under retail on the secondary market, let alone any of these new releases that are ultra-limited. It's annoying to me, and probably many others, that they chose to focus resources on developing this watch, which included the creation new tooling (the HODINKEE article said they would've had to in order to create this in full titanium), instead of simply expanding capacity on existing models and giving those of us that have been waiting forever an opportunity to buy something. They probably could've made 200 or so steel or gold PCs for the same effort that it took to manufacture 88 of these, and that likely would've ensured that everyone who currently wants one and has the money would get one. This frustration undoubtedly bled into my assessment of the watch and the collaboration, and again, while I do stand by everything I said, I know that I wouldn't have made such a big deal about it if I wasn't already annoyed with AP.

My point here is that the "truth" about this watch probably lies somewhere in between the two sides. I, and others on my side, overreacted in coming out with extreme vitriol. That being said, I still don't think this release was the greatest look for AP, and I hope that someone from AP is reading this post (I know you guys look at the forums) and at least sees and understands why some of us think that.

That's a shame really, I would assume you're dealing with NYC boutique from the look of things. I think your expectations are normal and should be met honestly. Try sending a letter/email to Patrick? it might open doors?
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 05:29 AM   #124
T3F
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector2019 View Post
That's a shame really, I would assume you're dealing with NYC boutique from the look of things. I think your expectations are normal and should be met honestly. Try sending a letter/email to Patrick? it might open doors?
I'm not, though I think I'm going to start working with NYC because I'm not getting anywhere with the boutique I'm dealing with (I don't want to blast them publicly because I think that would be in poor taste, but PM me if you're interested). I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have -- sorry everyone -- but I appreciate the suggestion and would be open to any advice on how to build a relationship with AP.
Old 18 January 2020, 09:35 AM   #125
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
T3F I would try and work with Michael at Material Good. Tell him I sent you and you will I am sure have a good experience.
Old 18 January 2020, 11:11 AM   #126
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
I think that I came in a little too hot yesterday, and though I stand by everything I said, I do regret delving into any personal details of Austen. I only did so to illustrate why I thought AP's choice of him as an ambassador (I'm using this term loosely -- both AP itself and all articles on this mentioned him as collaborating on this, so he is a "de facto" ambassador if not an "official" one with that title like the golfers, for instance, are), but I reread my post and it definitely came off as salty towards him and as a bit of a personal attack when that wasn't my intent. He genuinely seems nice, I would do the exact same thing if AP chose me to collaborate on a U.S. edition (though that would be a horrible choice on their part), and I have absolutely no issue with him at all. My issue is entirely with AP here.

I do think that there's sort of two groups of people that participate in the AP forum here: the "old guard" that has a great relationship with AP and is treated wonderfully, and relative newcomers like me that really like AP's watches but have had a tough experience breaking into the brand and are becoming frustrated. Overall, this release really isn't a big deal at all -- AP released a new version of a watch and worked with one of its clients on the design. This watch alone will hardly affect anything. I think a lot of you that fall into the "old guard" category have this view, which is absolutely fair. Additionally, from everything I've heard, it sounds like AP does an absolutely phenomenal job of taking care of VIPs, and because of this, it's probably hard for those of you that have such a great experience with the brand to understand or believe that if you're outside of "the circle," you're basically ignored, and it's not as simple as being nice or buying watches to break into it. For the record, I have nothing against you guys and I'm not attacking you at all -- I hope that I can get my relationship sorted out with AP and join "the circle", and I probably will, even if it takes a few years.

For those of us that are frustrated with AP and are essentially not valued at all as customers, this was a frustrating release, as it's yet another watch that we have absolutely no chance of getting, and it seems like AP's taunting us. I've spent a solid chunk of change with them and can't even get them to return my calls for a steel or rose gold PC, which have been out for years and sell for under retail on the secondary market, let alone any of these new releases that are ultra-limited. It's annoying to me, and probably many others, that they chose to focus resources on developing this watch, which included the creation new tooling (the HODINKEE article said they would've had to in order to create this in full titanium), instead of simply expanding capacity on existing models and giving those of us that have been waiting forever an opportunity to buy something. They probably could've made 200 or so steel or gold PCs for the same effort that it took to manufacture 88 of these, and that likely would've ensured that everyone who currently wants one and has the money would get one. This frustration undoubtedly bled into my assessment of the watch and the collaboration, and again, while I do stand by everything I said, I know that I wouldn't have made such a big deal about it if I wasn't already annoyed with AP.

My point here is that the "truth" about this watch probably lies somewhere in between the two sides. I, and others on my side, overreacted in coming out with extreme vitriol. That being said, I still don't think this release was the greatest look for AP, and I hope that someone from AP is reading this post (I know you guys look at the forums) and at least sees and understands why some of us think that.
You sum up my feelings very well and you hit the nail on the head with the feeling we're being "taunted" in some strange way. I don't personally get all the hype for a watch that was spoken for before the first public announcement was made. Why not use that energy to actually reach out to customers that are desperately, and in good faith, trying to reach out to you??

I am nowhere near the level of many of the people I see posting here and I get how this all works. I truly do, and I cannot and will not get frustrated by AP (or any company) treating their great/long time customers with priority. I am never getting a Jumbo or a Ceramic PC, and I shouldn't. But, your example with the SS PC hits home. I would genuinely like this watch, and I've been flat out ignored so far. I refuse to go secondary or gray on this because I don't have the luxury of buying whatever watch comes out and I simply want it and I can buy it without thinking twice. I want to use this major purchase to build a relationship with the brand. It's like I am saying "Here, please take my $70,000 and just get to know me". It's frustrating for sure but I am trying to remain optimistic and I am not going to let it stop me.
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 12:45 PM   #127
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I don't quite understand some of the sentiments expressed here.

I mean if the brand ( in this case AP ) doesn't seem to want your business despite you having reached out to them earnestly, then why not just move on? Instead of dwelling into it and gets angry/frustrated/unhappy. I am sure lots of other brands have watches just as nice ( ok, maybe less hype ) and will gladly take your business and treat you very well. Many of us have our fair share of brands who do not take us seriously for one reason or another, and sometime for no reason at all. I have walked into a RM boutique to be totally ignored despite the place being empty and when spoken to, the sales person made it quite clear he doesn't think I fit their profile of potential client. Even Conkers as I know had a hard time dealing with Patek.

Sometimes, it's not the brand itself but the salesperson that is not keen on the business. Perhaps he or she is a high profile salesperson with lots of "whale" / VVIP clients. Or perhaps he/she can't be bothered because he/she doesn't even like the job in the first place. Many reasons. In this case, reach out for another POS and try again. Or go grey market ( like Gravity ). Or just move on. Plenty of nice watches from other brands out there.
Old 18 January 2020, 01:07 PM   #128
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post

I mean if the brand ( in this case AP ) doesn't seem to want your business despite you having reached out to them earnestly, then why not just move on? Instead of dwelling into it and gets angry/frustrated/unhappy. I am sure lots of other brands have watches just as nice ( ok, maybe less hype ) and will gladly take your business and treat you very well. Many of us have our fair share of brands who do not take us seriously for one reason or another, and sometime for no reason at all. I have walked into a RM boutique to be totally ignored despite the place being empty and when spoken to, the sales person made it quite clear he doesn't think I fit their profile of potential client. Even Conkers as I know had a hard time dealing with Patek.

Sometimes, it's not the brand itself but the salesperson that is not keen on the business. Perhaps he or she is a high profile salesperson with lots of "whale" / VVIP clients. Or perhaps he/she can't be bothered because he/she doesn't even like the job in the first place. Many reasons. In this case, reach out for another POS and try again. Or go grey market ( like Gravity ). Or just move on. Plenty of nice watches from other brands out there.

Let’s go to VC people, I’m sure they are desperate for business!

Interesting post but I don’t think it solves the problem because it’s kind of either or situation. Either you are loved by AP or kind of ignored by AP. I’m yet to hear some people saying that they are on the fence! And it’s not quite geographical or demographical specs that sticks out that you think ok I don’t fit the profile. Like rm case, they definitely looking for young energetic successful and athletic targeted audience. Whereas Patek seems targeting more of subtle classy and more mature type of clients. Where in fact AP is accepting everyone and kind of confusing to figure out their mix! Yet we hear people praise them as gods and others are just furious with the whole thing.

Old 18 January 2020, 01:14 PM   #129
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not, though I think I'm going to start working with NYC because I'm not getting anywhere with the boutique I'm dealing with (I don't want to blast them publicly because I think that would be in poor taste, but PM me if you're interested). I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have -- sorry everyone -- but I appreciate the suggestion and would be open to any advice on how to build a relationship with AP.

I trash nyc boutique in every chance I could lol, “no offense sales people at the nyc boutique but you need to step up your game”

I’ll reach out via messages to connect further. I’m in dc too btw

Old 18 January 2020, 01:19 PM   #130
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Let’s go to VC people, I’m sure they are desperate for business!

Interesting post but I don’t think it solves the problem because it’s kind of either or situation. Either you are loved by AP or kind of ignored by AP. I’m yet to hear some people saying that they are on the fence! And it’s not quite geographical or demographical specs that sticks out that you think ok I don’t fit the profile. Like rm case, they definitely looking for young energetic successful and athletic targeted audience. Whereas Patek seems targeting more of subtle classy and more mature type of clients. Where in fact AP is accepting everyone and kind of confusing to figure out their mix! Yet we hear people praise them as gods and others are just furious with the whole thing.

I think the problem doesnt exist and if it does, it is self inflicted. AP/PP/Rolex/RM these top brands have many people wanting their selected watches and they have to choose since they cant satisfy all demand ( and doing so will, well, cheapen the brand and result in less demand ) so if you want their watches and cant get, and refuse to consider others, then the problem is not AP but yourself.

I considered myself in the "in-circle" of AP, at least for now but who knows? If I stop buying maybe I will be out and I will just move on. No worries. These are just watches.

Btw VC makes some excellent timepieces and while I dont own the brand, I respect them. Nothing to sneer at. Just my 2 cents.
Old 18 January 2020, 01:32 PM   #131
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:

Interesting response and it definitely makes me think. Your points are certainly logical.

I do try not to get upset about the situation and I don’t say I dwell on it, and I come here to hear others’ stories and hopefully learn a thing or two.

You’re right there are options. One of them is to move on, but I’m guessing for a vast majority of people on here that their love of watches and their desire for AP models isn’t just something you can cast aside.

To your point, I’ve very recently went grey as it really was senseless not to. I’m very happy, and in this case the premium was really insignificant. There is that part of me that would have been happier to get the watch from the boutique and hopefully start building what I hope is a long term relationship. I think many people want to build a relationship that will pay off in the future for our collections and hopefully for the brand, too.

We will see. I can say my patience isn’t infinite, for sure, and I think I’ll know when it’s a lost cause. For now I am trusting it’ll work out and it’s a worthy investment of effort, and I still truly believe AP values the interest and desire even though they have to send many people away empty handed.

Old 18 January 2020, 11:01 PM   #132
msm2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I trash nyc boutique in every chance I could lol, “no offense sales people at the nyc boutique but you need to step up your game”

I’ll reach out via messages to connect further. I’m in dc too btw
But have you been in recently? They have a new manager and a lot of new staff. Might be worth a re visit.

Side note. My biggest issue I have with this thread is a lot of same people want to constantly keep bringing up their bad experiences in the past with specific sales associates and come on here to vent the same frustrations thread after thread. I guess that is the internet in a lot of ways.
msm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:55 AM   #133
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Kind of official collaboration it seems

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7jCeo0h...d=i2pviixgjx8r

Old 21 January 2020, 05:17 AM   #134
JCC296
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Well said and couldn't agree more
JCC296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:00 AM   #135
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
His name is Austen and he's a very decent and talented young man. He may have been born to rich parents, I don't know, but I do know that he worked his ass off as a teenager and sold his tech company before hitting 20. Family wealthy he may be, I don't know, but independently wealthy he most certainly is and the best bit is that he's not resting on his laurels and he's out there with new businesses too. Just saying...
I met Austen in Tokyo with another Hodinkee editor for breakfast when the AP exhibition was being held in Tokyo and hes actually a very frank, down to earth guy. I was like many of you expecting a sort of "cocky" young lad but he wasnt like that at all. He knew the industry very well and didnt come across as a fan boy or deluded. I think he just worked really hard and did well for himself. Good on him.

Otoh I get the frustrations also, my first watch from AP was a 15202 and I have no idea how I managed that but have to say my experiences have always been amazing right from the start. Doesnt mean they are selling me a skeleton ceramic pc tho hahaha but look, i try to be happy with what i have and just play the game, cos lets be honest it is a game. Luxury products need HYPE, it HAS to be hard to get, because intrinsically its just all an illusion. So ill be happy with my "basic" ROs, perhaps buy 1-2 new watches from AP here and there and maybe I might get the call for something special. if not, Im still happy with a 15202, 15500. Still very good watches.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:56 AM   #136
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Kind of official collaboration it seems

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7jCeo0h...d=i2pviixgjx8r

Kind of. Doesn't have his name on it or anything, I think he just had some design input.

A proper collaboration is something like this:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/in...imited-edition
Old 21 January 2020, 04:08 PM   #137
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
👍👍🙏🙏 I will have a word with FHB and see what can be done!
I would definitely be in for a Pride of Conkers edition!
Old 22 January 2020, 03:40 AM   #138
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
100% spot on.
I am genuinely curious as someone that just bought his first AP (LAs vegas boutique) on how to build a relationship with AP other than to buy watches and not flip the hot models?
I am assuming this where you build trust by not making a quick buck on hard to get models that have been allocate to you?

Is there anything else that I am missing?
What do you guys do "to build a relationship"?
I have not seen or heard of anything unusual (other than spending big bucks) from my "rich friends/ rather acquaintances " that can afford RM and harder to get PP models in regards to a relationship being build.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 11:11 AM   #139
danielpuerto1099
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster Bl
Chinese New year?
danielpuerto1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 07:13 PM   #140
frommer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSK7 View Post
Past few days ive noticed a couple watch accounts I follow on IG have posted photos of teaser wristshots of just a red rubber strap without the face showing. with a countdown in their caption and #powerofred #audemarspiguet. Special watch or just AP releasing red bands?
It's started almost a week ago. New limited edition in titanium for China market.
frommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 07:14 PM   #141
frommer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpuerto1099 View Post
Chinese New year?
One of the reasons. 88 piece edition.
frommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 11:12 PM   #142
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I am genuinely curious as someone that just bought his first AP (LAs vegas boutique) on how to build a relationship with AP other than to buy watches and not flip the hot models?
I am assuming this where you build trust by not making a quick buck on hard to get models that have been allocate to you?

Is there anything else that I am missing?
What do you guys do "to build a relationship"?
I have not seen or heard of anything unusual (other than spending big bucks) from my "rich friends/ rather acquaintances " that can afford RM and harder to get PP models in regards to a relationship being build.
Visit the boutique, get to know the people there, get on the list for marketing events, show your passion, help introduce friends to the brand. If you show a true passion that’s tantamount to being a big spender, and I can speak from personal experience.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:59 AM   #143
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
Visit the boutique, get to know the people there, get on the list for marketing events, show your passion, help introduce friends to the brand. If you show a true passion that’s tantamount to being a big spender, and I can speak from personal experience.
Thanks I guess than I am on the right way. Need to inquire about marketing events.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:19 AM   #144
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
A red strap like this one?

what model is this?
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:31 AM   #145
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2828 View Post
what model is this?

Platinum 44mm

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:58 AM   #146
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
probably one of my favorites....really really nice!
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote