The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 October 2011, 02:21 AM   #1
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
iOS 5 - Question ..

This has been frustrating to me ... I bitched on a different thread about the lack of an unread emails count icon on the lock screen (kinda like what you see on the home page) and how all email related notifications disappear once you unlock the phone and lock it again (though they remain on the notification center).

On the Apple site, looking at the OS 5 features, when describing notifications they have this picture (which is exactly what I would like to see) ... Anybody knows if this is actually available or just fluff? I could not find a way to enable something similar if it actually exists ...

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NC.JPG (23.9 KB, 263 views)
Old 15 October 2011, 03:47 AM   #2
CashGap
"TRF" Member

I'm not finding it... it's got to be in there... why do I have the feeling it's somewhere obvious other than where I am looking...
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2011, 04:15 AM   #3
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Make the icons shake then drag them onto each other. This will create a new icon with the apps inside.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2011, 04:47 AM   #4
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Make the icons shake then drag them onto each other. This will create a new icon with the apps inside.
Errr, that's not what he's asking.

@ Serg I'd love to have that option as well, but cannot find it anywhere. Maybe it is an option inside iTunes somewhere (highly unlikely...but I haven't checked there).
Old 15 October 2011, 05:01 AM   #5
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail View Post
Errr, that's not what he's asking.

@ Serg I'd love to have that option as well, but cannot find it anywhere. Maybe it is an option inside iTunes somewhere (highly unlikely...but I haven't checked there).
I think Apple missed it this time ... Lock screen notifications seem to be designed to show only what happens during every period the phone is locked and they reset with every unlock, as opposed to a phone status check so to speak ... here's to hoping it will be part of a future upgrade (I don't jailbreak my phones, otherwise most notification widgets will give you this feature).

It is not too bad a miss, since you will likely see emails when you unlock, but it would be nice to have a dashboard.
Old 15 October 2011, 05:11 AM   #6
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
I don't think it does it pal

Apple also showed the weather on the lock screen during the iOS5 preview earlier in the year and that also cannot be done as far as I can see
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2011, 05:22 AM   #7
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Go to Notifications then Sort Manually then Mail and enable View in Lock Screen at the bottom of the Mail properties. Is that what you needed?
Also, perhaps some enhancements might take place on subsequent updates.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2011, 05:35 AM   #8
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis7777 View Post
Go to Notifications then Sort Manually then Mail and enable View in Lock Screen at the bottom of the Mail properties. Is that what you needed?
Nah, that'l just show it once when a new message comes in. What he is asking about is a notification screen like what he pasted in his original message from Apple's website. It looks cool, but it doesn't look like Apple actually implemented that.
Old 15 October 2011, 05:45 AM   #9
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis7777 View Post
That would only show you emails that arrive during the specific period where the phone is locked but if you unlock ... they are gone ...

I was looking for something more dashboard like, where you would be able to see that you have 5 unread emails, 3 sms and so on ... (on the lockscreen ... you can see this on the home screen once you unlock it).

With the current implementation, you can have 10 unread emails but no alerts on the lock screen if the emails were there before. I am not even bothered with the content, I just want an envelope and a number as you see on the home screen on the mail icon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail View Post
Nah, that'l just show it once when a new message comes in. What he is asking about is a notification screen like what he pasted in his original message from Apple's website. It looks cool, but it doesn't look like Apple actually implemented that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
I don't think it does it pal

Apple also showed the weather on the lock screen during the iOS5 preview earlier in the year and that also cannot be done as far as I can see
Oh well ... maybe next time. I am pretty pleased with the upgrade regardless. It works very well and some of the new features are excellent. The whole user experience is very refined IMO. I can live with the shortcomings.
Old 15 October 2011, 05:54 AM   #10
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Its only the first version - I'm sure it will all get tweaked better in time now its been updated with this system
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2011, 05:56 AM   #11
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
I think that pic is just of a folder created with those apps in it. Looks like you can see unread message notifications even when in a folder.

Can't help with the lock screen question.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2011, 06:08 AM   #12
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Lock screen notifications are pretty cool though ... you can swipe them individually and they will fire whatever response is appropriate ... e.g. swiping a missed call will dial that number w/o needing to unlock the phone.
Old 15 October 2011, 06:22 AM   #13
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
You can manually change all your notifications to appear on your lock screen but I cannot seem to find that notification icon.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2011, 01:22 AM   #14
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
It still does not look like the icon pictured, you get the apps inside and the unread / un-listened counter adds all apps together.

... and it can't be shown on the lock screen which is what I'd like to have (see pic of the BB lock screen, top leftish corner on the status bar). As said, there are many notification widgets if you jailbreak the phone, which I don't. Still, I am learning to like the way it is and it is infinitely more functional than the screen below ... I love how you can swipe them individually and access that item.

Just that small oversight which I hope will be fixed in future versions ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (60.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 16 October 2011, 01:23 AM   #15
masterserg
"TRF" Member

unrelated PS, some complain that there is no turn by turn navigation ... try the Skobbler app. Works very well in the US and it is free.
Old 18 October 2011, 07:51 AM   #16
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Lock screen notifications are pretty cool though ... you can swipe them individually and they will fire whatever response is appropriate ... e.g. swiping a missed call will dial that number w/o needing to unlock the phone.
Yes they are. Just one of the things we had with WebOS 2.5 years ago. I like what Apple did with notifications though - specifically all the configuration options.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 09:19 AM   #17
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Yes they are. Just one of the things we had with WebOS 2.5 years ago. I like what Apple did with notifications though - specifically all the configuration options.
Did you get the super secure App Store (did you read about the Netflix trojan on Android?), iCloud, the greatest music player, etc, not to mention beautiful hardware that is a pleasure to hold and behold with web OS 2.5 years ago??

The beauty of choices
Old 18 October 2011, 01:52 PM   #18
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Quote:
Did you get the super secure App Store (did you read about the Netflix trojan on Android?), iCloud, the greatest music player, etc, not to mention beautiful hardware that is a pleasure to hold and behold with web OS 2.5 years ago??

The beauty of choices
Question's moot since WebOS continues to hemorrhage market share.....

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 03:32 PM   #19
sandalgirl

Watch: Ladies TT Datejust
Are you talking about the "window shade" on the home screen--Swipe from top to bottom and a new screen appears with messages, email and a stock ticker. You can re-arrange, add or delete to customize. I removed stock ticker but added the weather, etc.
sandalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 03:50 PM   #20
TopNotchChach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Does anyone have the ability to create vibration alerts? i seen other peoples iPhone 4's and no one that i know has is it. i feel special, that I'm the only one that can create different vibration patterns.

its in sounds, and then scroll all the way down.
TopNotchChach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 04:15 PM   #21
Lol-x
Facilitator

iOS 5 comes with a new notification centre, which broadcasts news and updates from your apps on either the lock-screen, or from a pull-down menu.

These appls can be customised in any way you want, so you aren’t getting irrelevant information.

To do this, open the Settings App in iOS, and then hit “notifications”. There, you’ll see a list of apps in the notification centre. To change any, click on the name of the app, and then check “notification centre” to either on or off.

You can do the same with the lock-screen as well, so you can have some apps that are in one section, but aren’t in both.

..by Patrick Stafford of StartUpSmart

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim

Last edited by Lol-x; 18 October 2011 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: by Patrick Stafford of StartUpSmart
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 10:34 PM   #22
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
iOS 5 comes with a new notification centre, which broadcasts news and updates from your apps on either the lock-screen, or from a pull-down menu.

These appls can be customised in any way you want, so you aren’t getting irrelevant information.

To do this, open the Settings App in iOS, and then hit “notifications”. There, you’ll see a list of apps in the notification centre. To change any, click on the name of the app, and then check “notification centre” to either on or off.

You can do the same with the lock-screen as well, so you can have some apps that are in one section, but aren’t in both.

..by Patrick Stafford of StartUpSmart
Yeah, this is all good, but I am referring to a simple unread email count on the lock screen (like the envelope icon you see on the home screen).

The unread emails on the lock screen are JUST those that arrive while the phone is locked and they go away when you unlock it whether you read them or not.

I think I can safely conclude now that this small feature is not available (small thing compared to all the new goodies).
Old 19 October 2011, 01:05 AM   #23
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopNotchChach View Post
Does anyone have the ability to create vibration alerts? i seen other peoples iPhone 4's and no one that i know has is it. i feel special, that I'm the only one that can create different vibration patterns.

its in sounds, and then scroll all the way down.
It's pretty neat. I setup my wife's alerts to be . _ _ . (her first name starts with the letter "P").

Unfortunately the first time it went off, I thought I had a rabid squirrel in my pocket. So be careful!
Old 19 October 2011, 01:08 AM   #24
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
It's pretty neat. I setup my wife's alerts to be . _ _ . (her first name starts with the letter "P").

Unfortunately the first time it went off, I thought I had a rabid squirrel in my pocket. So be careful!
Hey Sam, did you upgrade to the 4S? I am really tempted (just because) but I don't want to blow up my upgrade...
Old 19 October 2011, 01:15 AM   #25
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Sam, did you upgrade to the 4S? I am really tempted (just because) but I don't want to blow up my upgrade...
Wife and son upgraded, mine isn't here yet, but custom vibration alerts work on the 4 with iOS5.

Uncertain why someone wouldn't:

1. Upgrade.
2. Sell last year's iPhone 4 for $180 on Gazelle.
3. Next fall, repeat when the next iPhone comes out.

Apple's release cycle and commitment to get a year out of iOS devices is well-documented. It's just the punditry that advances the "iPad 3 in November/iPhone V with anti-gravity next month!" nonsense that is always wrong.
Old 19 October 2011, 01:20 AM   #26
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
Wife and son upgraded, mine isn't here yet, but custom vibration alerts work on the 4 with iOS5.

Uncertain why someone wouldn't:

1. Upgrade.
2. Sell last year's iPhone 4 for $180 on Gazelle.
3. Next fall, repeat when the next iPhone comes out.

Apple's release cycle and commitment to get a year out of iOS devices is well-documented. It's just the punditry that advances the "iPad 3 in November/iPhone V with anti-gravity next month!" nonsense that is always wrong.
Yeah, it's a good point, but AT&T would only give me a $200 credit to upgrade. I can sell the 4 for about 200 and that leaves me with a $250 balance ... and I am not even sure AT&T will give me ANY credit next time (when if I don't switch now, I'll qualify for a fully subsidized upgrade next time), so I don't know if it is worth it right now. I can definitely use the extra juice as I am on the camera and different photo edit apps a lot (in fact the iPhone has became my main camera for all my non-kid pictures).

We'll see.
Old 19 October 2011, 06:05 AM   #27
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The beauty of choices
Ugh. Yes, WebOS had cloud mobility from day one. You bought the phone and immediately set up your cloud account with Palm. All OS updates came over the air, and backups went to the cloud. Lose or destroy your phone? No problem, log in with your account on a new phone and it rebuilt all your info and apps. The hardware was great at the time, it was the first (and still the only) device to come standard with induction charging. Sadly, Palm and hp couldn't make a go of it, but fortunately the ideas live on. The guy who designed the WebOS notification system was hired by Apple to create the system in iOS 5.

The App Store is hardly secure, it does very minimal checks making it ever so slightly more secure. Use the Google and you'll find lots of press about bad apps on the Apple system. Neither system is anywhere near secure enough. Don't make the mistake of dropping your guard because you think you have security. That is the downside of overstating Apple's security and it's bad for the entire Internet.

Google does all the cloud stuff and has for as long as I can remember. Google also does cloud music and video (I have had it for months).

I -am- happy with choices. I hope you enjoy any color as long as it's black (or occasionally white). That's a metaphor btw.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
Old 19 October 2011, 06:12 AM   #28
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Ugh. Yes, WebOS had cloud mobility from day one. You bought the phone and immediately set up your cloud account with Palm. All OS updates came over the air, and backups went to the cloud. Lose or destroy your phone? No problem, log in with your account on a new phone and it rebuilt all your info and apps.

The App Store is hardly secure, it does very minimal checks making it ever so slightly more secure. Use the Google and you'll find lots of press about bad apps on the Apple system. Neither system is anywhere near secure enough. Don't make the mistake of dropping your guard because you think you have security. That is the downside of overstating Apple's security and it's bad for the entire Internet.

Google does all the cloud stuff and has for as long as I can remember. Google also does cloud music and video (I have had it for months).

I -am- happy with choices. I hope you enjoy any color as long as it's black (or occasionally white). That's a metaphor btw.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
That's grand man. Where did you read a question asking whether I should switch to Palm or Android by the way??? Why do you feel the need to defend those here?

I could not care less about either. It is my choice and I am happy with it, as I am sure you are happy with yours.
Old 19 October 2011, 09:52 AM   #29
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Sorry Dude, I don't want an Apple vs X argument .. those are pointless IMO ... each OS / hardware has its merits and issues ... to each their own and you pick the one that works better for your requirements, that's all I meant.
Old 19 October 2011, 09:53 AM   #30
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's grand man. Where did you read a question asking whether I should switch to Palm or Android by the way??? Why do you feel the need to defend those here?

I could not care less about either. It is my choice and I am happy with it, as I am sure you are happy with yours.
There should be no mystery surrounding the content of my post. Everything was a direct response to statements you made.

You saw fit to rag on Android Marketplace for having the Netflix app issue so I responded. I didn't ever suggest that you should switch to Android.

You also asked if I had iCloud and several other things with WebOS 2.5 years ago. I answered. I didn't ever suggest that you should switch to WebOS, I simply answered that I did in fact have most of the features you asked about.