The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 November 2023, 03:42 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Bora Bora

Anyone been? Any thoughts or advice on a trip there?

I just booked one and it is coming up fast.

Debating bringing two watches, but I am not comfortable with that. Likely bringing either my RG VC or my SkyD. I am leaning towards SkyD. Feel very lucky that this is even a thought in my mind. Both are insured. Not asking which watch to bring. Just making a point of it.

I want the best snorkeling I can find. I am also going solo. I figure this is very much a couples place, but I am just fine being alone. I will be bringing a few books with me. I also expect to be asleep early every day. I am not a party guy. That said, I do not mind meeting strangers so if there are any fun spots with opportunity to meet people, I am open to that too.

Planning on a lot of swimming first and foremost. Snorkeling, sleep and exercise are the main points of this trip. This is my first real vacation in over 5 years. It cannot come soon enough.

I am 4 days in Bora Bora and 3 days in La Taha'a. In both, I am staying in a hut over the water. I was going to go for longer, but I think that even this will likely be a lot for a brain that has trouble settling down.

Any thoughts or guidance will be appreciated. I do not particularly like travel. But ever since the India trip for work, I have become a bit more comfortable with it.

Thank you,

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 03:48 AM   #2
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Never been, but as someone who loves beaches & oceans, you're in for some primo real estate. I, too, have trouble mentally relaxing. I hope you can find a good book or two or have some sort of meditation app. GJ acknowledging that you have the choice to bring two expensive watches to bring. Many locals won't see that much money in their lives.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 04:15 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Never been, but as someone who loves beaches & oceans, you're in for some primo real estate. I, too, have trouble mentally relaxing. I hope you can find a good book or two or have some sort of meditation app. GJ acknowledging that you have the choice to bring two expensive watches to bring. Many locals won't see that much money in their lives.
thank you brother. appreciate the sentiment.

very exciting. I have heard it lives up to the hype.

Old 2 November 2023, 04:53 AM   #4
Mountain
"TRF" Member

If you can go for longer, I would. I always find this sort of holiday takes a few days to ‘get into’. You’ll take a couple of days to wind down, then you can really relax and enjoy. I would also leave all watches at home; who needs time on a holiday like this? Not being aware of the time is blissfully relaxing…
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 05:04 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I truly hope you enjoy your vacation Seth. Sounds idyllic
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 05:15 AM   #6
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

I've been to both. Bora Bora is honestly a bit overrated in my opinion, but still very nice. Depending on where you stay while at Bora Bora, there will be good snorkeling off of your bungalow. Otherwise, you'll need to book a tour, which your resort should be able to do. I'd bet though Taha'a will be 100% couples and and people keeping even more to themselves than on Bora Bora. I thought the snorkeling was better off of Taha'a.

I can't comment on the singles aspect of things as I went with my wife, but from memory, everyone seemed coupled up at least at the Bora Bora resort proper. I'd suspect fewer singles on the barrier island resorts (where we stayed) versus if you go look around on the island. There are bars and restaurants on the island, and while a few looked a bit rougher that you'd expect, I'm sure there is much fun that could be had. Have a good time!
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 05:24 AM   #7
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

I assume you are flying into Papeete before transferring to Bora Bora. Often, there's a long transit layover. Papeete is bit of a tourist trap--not because it isn't interesting, but because everyone and their mother will be trying to get you to buy crappy pearls, or an overpriced pearl farm tour, or do an island circle tour by jeep. FYI, if you do the tour, make sure your guide is actually taking you to the waterfalls. Also, if you plan to buy pearls, do some research before so you don't get taken for a ride.

It's an interesting city to walk around in, but it's a real city, both good and bad.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 05:40 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Looks horrible Seth...... do try and have a good time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bora-bora-pearl-4-1200x900x.jpg (58.5 KB, 459 views)
Old 2 November 2023, 05:46 AM   #9
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I’ve been to French Polynesia a few times, it is paradise. You’ll love it.
Just bring one watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 November 2023, 06:36 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Sounds amazing Seth. Never been, please report back when you return how it went.
Old 2 November 2023, 08:25 AM   #11
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

One of my favorite destinations, absolutely love it there!

Just take one watch Seth, no need for two, it’s island time there.
With that said, very safe, no one cares what you’re wearing, and you’ll likely see many others wearing all types of regular, to high end watches.

It is predominantly a couple destination, but don’t let that deter you. Easy enough to strike up a conversation with interesting people, around the pool, on a tour, or at breakfast. Aside from that, most are keeping to themselves….and given your holiday agenda, that would suite just fine.

Tours, there are plenty to chose from, and all can be booked from the hotel, although at a premium! I’d suggest using Expedia for ideas on what interests you the most, then book yourself either directly with the operator, or even through expedias booking process.

Outer reef diving is fantastic. Shark/stingray tours are popular. Underwater scooter tours, or even helmet dive tours are fun.
Not a whole lot on the island itself to do (Bora Bora), but interesting none the less.
Overall a quiet place to go, and unwind. There aren’t many other places as visually stunning as French Polynesia.

Also, if you haven’t already, I’d suggest adding at least a half board package to your hotel booking. This gives you breakfast included, as meals, and drinks, are expensive there. Given you are in the middle of nowhere out the in the Pacific.

Any specific questions, PM me..

Have a great time, I’m jealous!

PS: If you can fit it, take a blow up donut ring and 50 feet of twine, tie it the pier of the overwater bungalow, and just float off your deck with a book, magic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2493.jpeg (147.3 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2492.jpeg (127.0 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2494.jpeg (148.6 KB, 418 views)

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 08:27 AM   #12
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
If you can go for longer, I would. I always find this sort of holiday takes a few days to ‘get into’. You’ll take a couple of days to wind down, then you can really relax and enjoy. I would also leave all watches at home; who needs time on a holiday like this? Not being aware of the time is blissfully relaxing…
This is very good advise, Seth. We recently got back from a trip to Philly (ran into the guy who runs the Urban Gentry YouTube channel) visiting family. It took a 36hrs just to mentally adjust & that's just the other side of the country. Flying for nearly a day to the middle of no where... I'd want to stay more than a few days. Leaving the watches behind is also a solid choice for someone who is anxious/may have an anxiety disorder. (not an MD, just reading between your lines). You'll have your phone if you need it, but I have found that sometimes looking at a watch to tell the time makes me think about my schedule too much. That can be detrimental on a relaxing vacation. If you feel the need for one, maybe find a $25 Timex in a gift shop that's colorful & brings you joy. It'll be a fun memory whenever you wear it back home.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 09:05 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Yes, I've been there. Pricey, but lots to do if you are adventurous.

P4250104x14.jpg
Old 2 November 2023, 09:39 AM   #14
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Seth, I heard from your friend on the west coast. He said to tell you: “Take me with you!”
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 09:52 AM   #15
sambb
"TRF" Member

been there, a little overrated but isnt everywhere... beautiful place ... you will be able to relax ... boredom is best handled with a beer ... food is expensive but who cares...
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 10:16 AM   #16
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Great advice. I likely should stay longer. But I’ve historically always wanted to come home.

Who knows. Maybe I’ll call an audible.

Agree on the watch too. But I’ll bring one. I went a long time not wearing one. I’m enjoying it again, and I like that.

Thank you

Old 2 November 2023, 10:20 AM   #17
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
One of my favorite destinations, absolutely love it there!

Just take one watch Seth, no need for two, it’s island time there.
With that said, very safe, no one cares what you’re wearing, and you’ll likely see many others wearing all types of regular, to high end watches.

It is predominantly a couple destination, but don’t let that deter you. Easy enough to strike up a conversation with interesting people, around the pool, on a tour, or at breakfast. Aside from that, most are keeping to themselves….and given your holiday agenda, that would suite just fine.

Tours, there are plenty to chose from, and all can be booked from the hotel, although at a premium! I’d suggest using Expedia for ideas on what interests you the most, then book yourself either directly with the operator, or even through expedias booking process.

Outer reef diving is fantastic. Shark/stingray tours are popular. Underwater scooter tours, or even helmet dive tours are fun.
Not a whole lot on the island itself to do (Bora Bora), but interesting none the less.
Overall a quiet place to go, and unwind. There aren’t many other places as visually stunning as French Polynesia.

Also, if you haven’t already, I’d suggest adding at least a half board package to your hotel booking. This gives you breakfast included, as meals, and drinks, are expensive there. Given you are in the middle of nowhere out the in the Pacific.

Any specific questions, PM me..

Have a great time, I’m jealous!

PS: If you can fit it, take a blow up donut ring and 50 feet of twine, tie it the pier of the overwater bungalow, and just float off your deck with a book, magic!
Thanks brother. This is all awesome.

I will definitely charter a boat. I don’t much like being stuck. I hate issues. But if I can help it, I don’t want to be on a tour. I’ll likely do a day solo. I want to see the best snorkeling I can. And if I’m going all that way, I’m going to do it.

Great call on the donut too. I’m going to try and do that.

Can’t wait to just relax.

Old 2 November 2023, 10:21 AM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Attachment 1399815
You are not kidding. The trip is a small fortune. One of the reasons I’m not planning to stay longer.

Great picture.

Old 2 November 2023, 10:22 AM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
been there, a little overrated but isnt everywhere... beautiful place ... you will be able to relax ... boredom is best handled with a beer ... food is expensive but who cares...
I hear you on all of that.

Old 2 November 2023, 10:22 AM   #20
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
Seth, I heard from your friend on the west coast. He said to tell you: “Take me with you!”
Lmao. I can hear it now.

Old 2 November 2023, 11:43 AM   #21
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

We stayed near La Tahaa on Vahine Island last year. We had a nice view of Bora Bora about 15 miles away from our bungalow.

Tahaa island itself was worth a day trip and there is an area of the island where the really massive Manta Rays can be seen on a private snorkel tour. The island has a rum distillery and vanilla farm that can be a good diversion on a down day.

We did some fishing within the lagoon but nothing too exciting. We were not close to any areas that blue water charters departed from.

Papeete was nothing too impressive. We had several hours to kill and ended up hanging out at the Sheraton before our flight.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 05:15 PM   #22
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
You are gonna do a trip to paradise.
I recommend booking a boat (selfdriving) at La Plage and enjoy the laguna for yourself.

Have a good trip!

bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 06:24 PM   #23
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Attachment 1399815
Wow! Beautiful photograph Larry.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 08:12 PM   #24
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Enjoy the pause my man, well needed for sure. Please let us know how it turned out, never been that way and genuinely curious.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 08:42 PM   #25
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Yep, been there. Stayed in an overwater bungalow with the see-through floor. 4 days will be plenty. There's basically nothing to do but eat, drink, and watersports. That's by design, and it's a really nice place to do it all. But I got bored.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 10:54 AM   #26
DonAltabello
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO Dual time
I have stayed a week at the Conrad in an OWB. It is since then my happy place in this world and can't wait to go back.

It was perfect for relaxing and snorkeling and the remoteness of the place made me relax 100% for the first (and last) time in years. The bungalows at the Conrad were in a perfect location for snorkeling and they have reefs right there. It's almost like diving into an aquarium right from your patio. Very nice and relaxing to float around in a floater with a mojito as well.

Enjoy your trip. It's been 4 years since I was there and think I need to look into going again soon, but not sure if it's a place to bring toddlers unfortunately.
DonAltabello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 03:12 AM   #27
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Bora Bora

Love Bora Bora! When it comes to relaxing, ocean getaways are our trip of choice. We do prefer the Maldives because the waters are much more tolerable temperature and visibility is crystal on most days. We stay 10+ days when we go but we’re not party types so boredom is never an issue.

You know, the most relaxed I have ever been is when I am underwater. Scuba is great but, free diving was the pinnacle. I wish I was yogi practitioner too, the breathing techniques will help you a lot. The only caveat, you need to go with a partner and preferably one who knows what to do in case of an emergency (i.e. you get too relaxed down there…) when I first started, I would just glide down and get up close to the reef and just admire every detail both visual and auditory. 30 seconds feels like an eternity.

For socializing, I’d wager you would do fine as a single traveler in bora. While I agree there are predominantly couples there, there were also plenty of solo travelers. Not to mention the foreigners and locals that work there who would be interesting to get to know.

We prefer the over water bungalows because of the quick access to the water. Depending on the Resort, that could mean a long walk to dinner. They did have golf carts on call last time we were there but we preferred the long walk
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 03:29 AM   #28
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Im in Papeete now. Long day of travel yesterday.

Woke up to a beautiful place. I can see fish while standing on the dock. I depart for bora bora shortly.

While on the flight I wondered if it was worth it. So far, it’s very pretty. But I’m pretty confident I’ll be very happy to be going home.

It’s been a nice adventure thus far.

Old 6 November 2023, 08:01 AM   #29
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Bora Bora

Dude you are still on your way... You have so much opportunity for new experiences and adventure ahead of you. I can't believe you are even thinking about home. Live each day on the road like it's you last. Home will always be there and the point of traveling is to be away from your reality, see how others live, experience new things/cultures and grow as a person. IMHO Think Out of the box and do some cool shit! Pictures or it didn't happen!

Subscribed...

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 08:22 AM   #30
Cru Jones

Enjoy the trip, Seth!! I’m sure it will be amazing.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote