The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 15 January 2019, 07:27 AM   #1
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Men's wedding bands / I'm getting married!

First off - some personal news to share with my lovely TRF family - I am getting married this May! Regarding watches - I actually picked up a BLNR right when we got engaged last March to commemorate popping the question. Since then I was lucky enough to add my long-awaited white DaytonaC to the collection. I really want an AP 15400 blue dial for the big day, but that is looking like less and less of a reality (wedding costs, waitlists / the new 15500).

Anyway - onto the more important stuff. We're in full swing on wedding planning right now and my fiancée brought up the wedding bands this past weekend. For her's I told her "whatever you want, sweetheart". I spent plenty of time (and money!) custom designing an engagement ring for her with my jeweler. For the actual wedding band, I am selfishly letting her just go with whatever she wants to remove that creative burden.

That brings things to me...I actually have no idea what I want. My father has a thick, smooth yellow gold band (similar to this) and I suppose in the back of my end I just naturally assumed I'd always do something similar. Now that it's actually time to start deciding though I am not so sure what I want.

I thought it would be fun (and constructive) to get some thoughts from the community that I value a lot. Anything from guys who have just recently been married and gone through this to some of the older/more experienced voices would be greatly appreciated. Ideas, websites (to get some creative ideas), and anything else is welcomed here because I am currently a blank slate on what I want.

At this point I am still undecided even on material color (WG, YG, platinum). Stainless steel watches tend to get the majority of the time on my wrist and I can't see that changing any time soon (for what it's worth). I suppose that is a bit irrelevant though because I was thought a man's wedding band was always the exception to matching metals (e.g., I try to match cufflinks to belt-buckle colors, or belt-buckle to shoe-buckle colors, but your ring is your ring).

Thanks in advance! P.S. any boutique/AD contacts for a blue AP would be a more than gracious wedding gift (soon-to-be-wife would likely disagree)
Old 15 January 2019, 07:31 AM   #2
NiceWatchMr
"TRF" Member

Congrats...check out David Yurman bands...I loved the cable link pattern, quite timeless and very reputable brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2019, 07:32 AM   #3
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Congrats!

For me, it was always something super simple and classic that matches a stainless Rolex. I am typically going to be wearing stainless so it seemed like the right fit. Thin, plain, white gold band. The band was too shiny when we got married so the next day in the pool I started grinding it against the side to take the finish down. The wife was mortified. The finish eventually wore down after a few years, now it looks perfect!
Old 15 January 2019, 07:35 AM   #4
Kimber007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP
First of all congrats!

I know there have been some previous threads on this even recently that may be of some help. I personally wouldn't go YG if you mainly wear stainless steel pieces. Not that it has to match but I personally prefer it to.

I would start by at least looking at Tiffany's website. I have multiple bands from them that I wear to match my watch with my daily being an all platinum band. The platinum looks great with stainless steel and I'm assuming hides scratches a little easier than the gold bands.

Good luck!
Old 15 January 2019, 07:57 AM   #5
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish

Congrats!!

I have a simple titanium band that I wear if I wear one. Has taken a heck of a breathing and no worse for wear. Also have a Yurman (I think it is) silver with a pattern somewhere.

Originally had a TT and diamond band from 1997 when I got married. Went to YG with diamonds and then sold them all and went with the above. And upgraded the wife’s diamond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 15 January 2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
Matching Cartier love rings will be a solid choice.

Old 15 January 2019, 09:34 AM   #7
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

One of the nicer men's brands is Furrer Jacot, they are swiss & do some cross training with IWC as far as finishing goes.
Old 15 January 2019, 11:09 AM   #8
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I used to wear a heavy platinum band with a little pattern. It was nice, but heavy.
Now I have a thinner and narrower plain yellow gold band. It also has the comfort fit, which I prefer. As a bonus, it was much cheaper than its platinum brother.
I went designer for the platinum band and non designer for the gold. Unless you get a special brand pattern, nobody will ever know if you spent $800 for a gold band or $1600 for one from Tiffany. For the most part, 18k is 18k, and platinum is platinum. If they claim differently, do some research before overpaying.

十人十色
Old 15 January 2019, 11:16 AM   #9
JMtimes5
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36&41 AK LV DJ36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbogigolo View Post
Matching Cartier love rings will be a solid choice.

This 100%
Old 15 January 2019, 01:03 PM   #10
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

When I got married I had a basic 18k and platinum band with a mill grain edge. I lost about 80 pounds and my ring size dropped dramatically and couldn’t be made small enough to fit. I went with a plain platinum mill grain edge comfort fit band. Great weight and it has developed a beautiful patina. Very happy with it.

Old 15 January 2019, 03:41 PM   #11
ashokleyland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060,PAM,DJ

Go for the most precious metal platinum, its more harder than gold.. But still it will scratch..

Comfort ring is a must also makes wearing a ring seamless, as if you don’t feel wearing a ring.
In my opinion, stay away from white gold as it tends to become yellow gold after years of wearing

Here’s a picture of my platinum wedding band on the left side of the picture.

I bought also “dummy” ring, If I don’t want my platinum ring to get scratch (i.e., doing housework) even a hammer can’t scratch this. Its just around 18$ on amazon very cheap. Made of tungsten carbide. It even looks white gold or platinum to untrained eye. Stays shiny all the time as it is virtually scratch resistant.

Im thinking before of buying designer brand ring, end up buying customized platinum ring from a local jeweler and was able to save money.
No one will scrutinize your ring if it is Cartier or Tiffany for me it is the symbolic meaning of the ring that matters.
Old 15 January 2019, 04:00 PM   #12
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
My advice - - - get a timeless design from an acknowledged designer boutique. While we all hope the union lasts forever, should the need ever arise to liquidate your possessions, a Tiffany or Cartier ring will have far better resale value than a custom made piece (especially if you keep the original receipt/paperwork/boxes).

A side benefit is that if you should ever lose possession of the ring unexpectedly, it can be readily replaced.........

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
Old 15 January 2019, 04:08 PM   #13
Nurseford25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega’s/Sub
Congrats. I went with a Tiffany 6mm platinum band because it’s simple, classic and timeless.
Old 15 January 2019, 04:12 PM   #14
Burlington
"TRF" Member

If you have never worn a ring before then it will feel strange at first having something on. Mine hasn’t left my finger once since the day some years ago and now it just feels like part of me.

I went for a plain RG band, approx 4mm wide with a D contour for comfort.

If you want comfort then check simple things like ability to put your hand in your pocket when wearing without it catching, or making a tight fist without it digging into the fingers either side. The sharper edges will wear down quickly too that will improve comfort.

A men’s plain band need not cost much, and honestly I think the less metal on it the better for comfort. Mine must be max 1.5mm at its thickest and 0.05mm at the edge. I wear it to the gym for everything there, including deadlifts etc and it doesn’t get in the way, nor become damaged as the fit is good.

Also get it sized really well - take advice from the jeweller and be aware of how much your finger can swell or contract. In the summer it’s tight enough that it will leave a mark on my finger, in the winter it is sometimes loose enough I feel like I need to curl my finger to keep it on.

Good luck with the big day ! And hope you can source the AP too.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 15 January 2019, 04:15 PM   #15
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceWatchMr View Post
Congrats...check out David Yurman bands...I loved the cable link pattern, quite timeless and very reputable brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1 I have a Platinum Yurman cable band.
Old 15 January 2019, 04:42 PM   #16
Romeojk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Get whatever you like, just like you would a watch.

I like what you linked to, a simple YG clean looking wedding band.

I am sure you dad could care less about the design of your ring, but I would think...just a thought here... if you were to get a band like his, maybe you guys will share a special moment, a sort of head nod and a wink, as if to say, I want to be a little like you dad, you made a few good choices in your day.

Congratulations and good luck!

There is no wrong choice.

By the way, I don’t wear one most days, only if traveling for work, or some functions. I had a plain ring like your link, my wife vacuumed it up and away...we think. I got a new one, stopped wearing after my finger gained a little weight : ) then my brother in law melted it down into one that has a little design to, this was during his jewelry making phase. It’ll be 31 years in June for me! A lot of work and ups and down, but my bride is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2019, 05:47 PM   #17
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Wow! Thanks everyone for the responses thus far! A lot of great suggestions and content here to consider.

I think am leaning towards something in a WG or Platinum option for myself. I'll float the Cartier idea by her but think that may not be in the cards (I have a hard time seeing a Cartier love right matching her engagement ring). That's alright though as she already has the YG love bracelet from me

I'll make sure to keep you guys posted on what I decide to do!
Old 15 January 2019, 08:37 PM   #18
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
I have a custom made very simple PT band made by the goldsmith at my PP AD. Brushed on the outside, polished on the inside with our names and wedding date engraved.
Old 16 January 2019, 12:31 AM   #19
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
I have a nice platinum band and a couple dummy bands — one is titanium and the other is rubber.

The rubber dummy band is especially nice when I’m in the ocean or on the mountain. I actually can’t remember the last time I wore my platinum or titanium band.

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
Old 16 January 2019, 12:42 AM   #20
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I've had a tricolor gold ring for the past 50+ years. No one has ever commented on my ring as far as I know.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 16 January 2019, 12:47 AM   #21
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I’d get a Wellendorff if I was you.
Old 16 January 2019, 01:36 AM   #22
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
I went to a jewelry store in the mall and bought one for like $50 or $100. Good enough for me.
Old 16 January 2019, 04:05 AM   #23
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I think I am in the minority here, but there is NO WAY I was spending big money on gold or platinum ring. So, I bought a Tungsten ring for about $80.

It looks just like gold and even has comfort fit. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Old 16 January 2019, 05:08 AM   #24
sergzurc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Recently married last November. My wife received one of her grandmother's diamond studs (her brother got the other one) and we had custom engagement and wedding ring made from platinum. The rings were also channel lined with french cut diamonds from her grandmother's wedding ring, too. For myself, I chose to do something very simple - 4mm band in 14k gold.
Old 16 January 2019, 05:29 AM   #25
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

White gold will turn a bit “yellowish” over time. It can have rhodium reapplied to make it “white” again. Platinum always stays “white” but will develop a nice patina over time.

Old 16 January 2019, 06:51 AM   #26
djhiram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 Sea Dweller
I went with this. I didn’t want or like the look of a thin band. It’s WG and 10mm with comfort fit.

- Charriol Columbus Chrono M.O.P Dial
- Handfull of G-Shocks
- Rolex Bluesy
Co-Founder of the Brothers of the Leaf Society
Old 16 January 2019, 07:14 AM   #27
woodsworth
"TRF" Member

I wear a Cartier Love ring...

Been thinking of getting a David Yurman with black diamonds when I feel like being a little flashy though ;>
Old 16 January 2019, 03:46 PM   #28
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Congratulations!

Get a simple Yg or wg ‘band’ design. Remember, it’s a wedding band. Not wedding bling or ring.

10k or 14k is best. ~$150 ea

You’re telling the world you’re taken. Not that you were taken.

Get a spare in case you lose it.

Simple font if you engrave the inside.

Enjoy the day.
Old 17 January 2019, 12:05 AM   #29
pjaffe
"TRF" Member

I went with a simple comfort fit platinum band. Not worth spending big $$ for a name brand ring. A platinum band from Tiffany is the same ring, but you pay 3x as much for the Tiffany name. I originally wanted tungsten, but my jeweler FIL pointed out that tungsten can't be cut off your finger with traditional tools.
Old 17 January 2019, 05:47 AM   #30
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Titanium band works great and looks perfect, you can't hurt it, all for under $100 bucks too. (looks just like platinum too)
Closed Thread