The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 January 2019, 02:24 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Is this going to take the money going to Lange and PP dress... and there's not that much money there to begin with? I think they should have gone for SS with limited production and a low price for the three hander and try to ride this out like the PP 5522. Surprised AP haven't done this and trickled them out, instead of announcing this as a huge new line to rival the RO/ROO and biggest thing they've done in 40 years etc, the exclusivity/hype angle has been lost, leaving them just with these tangible and rather sedate designs.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 02:27 AM   #32
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I feel the same way, great lugs but not sure about durability if it’s only anchored on the sapphire side. Dial is terrible and looks fake. Anyone know if this new chrono movement will go in the ROO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
My rating:
Case height = A
Case flanks = A+
Crystal = B+
Movement = B+
Dial = D-
Case size = C

However and unfortunately, dial is pretty important. Would have loved no-date, perhaps brueget numerals versus the panerai like enlarged 12, 3 , 6, 9. Perhaps it will grow on me.

My favorite is the simple 3 hander white dial rose gold.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 02:32 AM   #33
soundserious
"TRF" Member

These will sell at a staggering discount on the secondary market. They basically made the exact watch that nobody wants anymore. The casual buyer has a plethora of options in this style that look so much better. Lange? JLC? Longines even.
Old 13 January 2019, 02:40 AM   #34
BLNR1
"TRF" Member

I wonder if a tapiisserie might help the look of this
BLNR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 02:45 AM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
Horrid series name and completely unappealing dial design
Agreed completely idiotic name. Other than the lugs there and the fact that they made an in house chrono there’s little to like for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
Thanks for the link. The quality, engineering and thought of the details are definitely put into this new line. However, the design is where it seems to fail. It seems that most others feel the same way. It's kinda funny that the CEO in the Hodinkee video is wearing a ROO and not one of the new models?

I'm a newbie to AP, and I have only recently started looking at and considering one. I love the Offshore line and I think I'm going to stick with one of those.
I noticed that lol even FHB doesn’t like it enough to wear it.

Another thing I’m not fond if it the all dial no bezel look ala IWC port. I just don’t like the aesthetic. The idea of picking up one of these over virtually anything from Patek, Lange, VC is a good joke. I’d say the best comp might be the Gronefeld 1941 in terms of being a modern dress piece with interesting lugs. Take note of how it’s done AP.

Old 13 January 2019, 02:53 AM   #36
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I noticed that, re FHB not wearing one, which on the face of it is a very odd branding / marketing move.

Re Code 11.59, is there a reason for that name? If not it seems a truly bizarre choice.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 02:56 AM   #37
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
I like them, though if I was going to spend that amount I’d go RO / ROO anytime (much safer). PC and chrono look really nice and I love the curved glass. Movements look great but so does the 3120 on the 15400. Chrono movement is a diff story and a beauty. I’d imagine price will be pushed upwards significantly with new in house.

Hats off to the manufacture for trying something new.

+1
They’re trying new things and we’ll see if they will succeed in years to come. This new line might attracts a different segment of customers other than RO. Time will tell...
I do like the perpetual calendar and the Chrono dials and movements.

Let’s all keep in mind that they didn’t replace the RO nor the ROO with the new line.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 02:58 AM   #38
bsh_watch
"TRF" Member

While I dont think they are as bad as some people are saying, it seems that from a Holy Trinity member like AP, they should have been able to put some more muscle behind creating a more unique and timeless/longstanding design.

IMHO, the lugs are fantastic! I would love to see that style (the openwork) reflected on more watches. That is the 'pushing forward' that I think AP was going for here, but they missed with a plain and simple dial that offers nothing extra really.
bsh_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 03:10 AM   #39
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
I like them, though if I was going to spend that amount I’d go RO / ROO anytime (much safer). PC and chrono look really nice and I love the curved glass. Movements look great but so does the 3120 on the 15400. Chrono movement is a diff story and a beauty. I’d imagine price will be pushed upwards significantly with new in house.

Hats off to the manufacture for trying something new.
I am confused as to whom this is meant to target. Not sport watch buyers. Dress watch buyers? Is that a big segment of the market overall? And if you had to choose between these and say a PP or Lange, which would you choose? Just a head scratcher for me.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 03:12 AM   #40
gtruex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii 16570
I really wanted to like these and was eager to see the new line. Unfortunately, my initial feeling is just ... ehh... Maybe seeing in person will be different, maybe they will grow on me? But, they just didn't excite me. I like the JLC Polaris a lot better. Looks somewhat similar to me the way AP did their #'s on the dial.
gtruex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 03:25 AM   #41
Speed
"TRF" Member

The descriptions I see in so many places are: "Mall Watch" "Daniel Wellington" etc.

I cannot argue re: dial / hands. Ouch.

I must say I do like the movements, cases, crystal and straps...Hopefully as with Rolex and Date Justs, AP can improve...

The chrono is indeed the best of the bunch. Time only - not so much.

I do worry about 41mm on a round watch like that. My SEIKO Cocktail Time at 40mm feels large for a dress watch.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 03:37 AM   #42
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
+1
They’re trying new things and we’ll see if they will succeed in years to come. This new line might attracts a different segment of customers other than RO. Time will tell...
I do like the perpetual calendar and the Chrono dials and movements.

Let’s all keep in mind that they didn’t replace the RO nor the ROO with the new line.
Yes, this is very true! I totally agree about AP never intending this new release to replace the RO or ROO. I think the main issue people are having is that this new line looks too similar to lower cheapie brand watches like Vincero and Daniel Wellington. I can't say for sure, but I suspect a person wearing a CODE 11.59 will get a "compliment" from someone one day with "Nice Vincero watch!"

As for the watches themselves. I'm sure they're not a POS. As mentioned in my previous post, they definitely have the quality, the engineering, and the thought behind the designs. It has nice features like the case, lug and crystal design. You can pretty much bank on it being a good watch! People are just not excited about the looks, which obviously is the biggest selling point for luxury watch buyers.

I guess when AP came out with the RO and ROO, they really pushed the envelope with their design. There was nothing like it on the market. It was so different in fact, that people questioned whether anyone would even buy such an outrageous looking watch! I am thinking that everyone was expecting some sort of cutting edge or wild design for their new dress series? I know I was.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 03:48 AM   #43
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I guess when AP came out with the RO and ROO, they really pushed the envelope with their design. There was nothing like it on the market. It was so different in fact, that people questioned whether anyone would even buy such an outrageous looking watch! I am thinking that everyone was expecting some sort of cutting edge or wild design for their new dress series? I know I was.
I was waiting as well. Especially after hearing their CEO speak at the Hodinkee10 event.

Fingers crossed these evolve as much as they can. Since they are more "traditional" watches, it does seem to me some new dials / fonts & hands could make use of the movements and interesting cases...
Old 13 January 2019, 03:51 AM   #44
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
The descriptions I see in so many places are: "Mall Watch" "Daniel Wellington" etc.

I cannot argue re: dial / hands. Ouch.

I must say I do like the movements, cases, crystal and straps...Hopefully as with Rolex and Date Justs, AP can improve...

The chrono is indeed the best of the bunch. Time only - not so much.

I do worry about 41mm on a round watch like that. My SEIKO Cocktail Time at 40mm feels large for a dress watch.
I guess AP spent all that time on these new movements and forgot about the Dial part so they had to outsource and had Daniel Wellington design them

On another note, I dropped off my car for service this morning and got the new Panamera GT as a loaner and noticed this looks familiar minus the date. Awesome car tho
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D7740E16-C2E8-4ABD-9672-6AF8FA774128.jpeg (232.1 KB, 286 views)
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 03:53 AM   #45
yippie123
"TRF" Member

Where's the RD2?

:(
yippie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 04:02 AM   #46
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, this is very true! I totally agree about AP never intending this new release to replace the RO or ROO. I think the main issue people are having is that this new line looks too similar to lower cheapie brand watches like Vincero and Daniel Wellington. I can't say for sure, but I suspect a person wearing a CODE 11.59 will get a "compliment" from someone one day with "Nice Vincero watch!"

As for the watches themselves. I'm sure they're not a POS. As mentioned in my previous post, they definitely have the quality, the engineering, and the thought behind the designs. It has nice features like the case, lug and crystal design. You can pretty much bank on it being a good watch! People are just not excited about the looks, which obviously is the biggest selling point for luxury watch buyers.

Agree with you and strongly believe the fundamentals are there (case, movements, crystal) for AP to build upon. With dial design changes, I feel they can appeal to hardcore RO and ROO fans if needed. At the end of the day, you can only change soo much while being a “dress” watch if that was their intention. Not sure if this 1159 is a dress watch or a new line unisex watch as I haven’t read their marketing materials nor read any articles as of yet.
Old 13 January 2019, 04:03 AM   #47
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
I guess AP spent all that time on these new movements and forgot about the Dial part so they had to outsource and had Daniel Wellington design them

On another note, I dropped off my car for service this morning and got the new Panamera GT as a loaner and noticed this looks familiar minus the date. Awesome car tho

Isn’t that the 1159? ;)
Old 13 January 2019, 04:06 AM   #48
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Agree.. the dial is a big disappointment
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 04:07 AM   #49
Doctock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
As this seems to be the replacement for the Millenary line I feel it's a failure. There is a feeling of elegance to the Millenary that is absent from this new design.
My first thought was "Did AP buy up all the cases/ dials from the "failed"/ not successful post Gerd Lange Chronoswiss line?"
There's not a lot that says "AP" in this new design.
Doctock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 04:18 AM   #50
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I guess at the end of the day it will come down to this vs PP, Lange, or a VC for equal money. This is where this watch will fall short. There is no question that the quality is there, finishing is probably superb as expected but that dial seems disproportionate to its case.

Why the minute markers? Could have easily replaced with a beautifully finished bezel. I really like the case from what is visible, it’s unique for sure. But that dial...not.

As another mentioned, these may be had on the secondary markets. Too many other and better options. But then again the way the watch world is, anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 04:28 AM   #51
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Who approved these dial designs? I like the watch movement and case but those dials look like Michael Kors/Emporio Armani dials. They need to redesign them and go for a more classical Jules Audemars type look.
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 04:29 AM   #52
jed11
"TRF" Member

Meh pretty much sums it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 04:49 AM   #53
Urooj
Banned

AP finally got it all wrong...mother of all eff ups...
Urooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 04:51 AM   #54
Burlington
"TRF" Member

What I don’t get is why they spent 2 years working on the applied logo - it’s almost as if certain elements became passion projects internally without actually pausing for breath and sense checking if it’s adding value to the finished product or not.

There are some cool design features within it, but the thin hands and markers do detract from the aesthetics for me.

The case itself, including crystal and lugs does seem to be a nice move but maybe a version 2 is needed to bring the whole package together.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 04:58 AM   #55
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post

Love that clock.
- Thankfully no date window.

How do you like the Panamera? Same twin scroll turbo engine as the Audi RS5 if I understand correctly.
Old 13 January 2019, 05:04 AM   #56
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
Isn’t that the 1159? ;)
AP and Porsche must share the same watch dial designers
Old 13 January 2019, 05:07 AM   #57
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Love that clock.
- Thankfully no date window.

How do you like the Panamera? Same twin scroll turbo engine as the Audi RS5 if I understand correctly.
My loaner is the base 4 engine and to me feels heavy and I almost want to say slow haha .. car is beautiful though and drives nice otherwise.. can definitely see getting one later but would likely need at least the 4S engine
Old 13 January 2019, 05:07 AM   #58
holdtime
Banned

Are this watches AP?
Look like Fossil brand or Diesel.'
So Disappointed.
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 05:11 AM   #59
holdtime
Banned

Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horolojust View Post
White is too vivid. Unsure if I’m liking it even though I’m a huge AP fan
Sadly it looks like fake non-branded watch to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big and not good looking.
Looks like Fossil or Diesel Watch.
Wow is this move by AP going to put them under?
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 05:18 AM   #60
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Love the case and the movements.

Hate the name, size and dials.

The basics are there, maybe a new dial will help.

Time only looks like a dressed up Polaris and chrono like a Micheal Kors.

In the mean time can I get a 39mm ROC with the new movement?