The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2009, 02:43 AM   #31
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Still something special, indeed

Thanks for that link! Those are some amazing watches Normally sites have the "your price" lower that retail but lol, know the deal with these. A good watch for the collector who can afford to try get one of these every time a new limited edition comes out.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 03:03 AM   #32
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
Audemars Piguet ROOs are my dream watches. One day I hope to be able to afford one of them. But the color config on the Montauk is very unique but I don't know if it would suit me. I'm not a big baby blue fan. I love the ROO navy limited production though or the Grand Prix 09 one. Its amazing how many limited edition Audemars makes each year and how valuable they still remain.
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 03:09 AM   #33
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennabav View Post
Audemars Piguet ROOs are my dream watches. One day I hope to be able to afford one of them. But the color config on the Montauk is very unique but I don't know if it would suit me. I'm not a big baby blue fan. I love the ROO navy limited production though or the Grand Prix 09 one. Its amazing how many limited edition Audemars makes each year and how valuable they still remain.
The Navy is a ROO I wanted for awhile so I see your point.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 03:55 AM   #34
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Thanks for the support Howard.

I very much value your opinion on watches and that you've been favorably impressed after hands on exposure pretty much put me over the top.

Thanks much !!

I suspect that you're like me -- when I quickly skim through a watch magazine before studying it, I have the "Hmm, that's okay"; "That's pretty nice"; "Wouldn't mind having that" kind of thoughts, but rarely do I have the "Holy crap, I have to look into this one !!" Realize many won't feel that way about this piece, but it's a very strong "smiles at you" to me.

Really, last time I felt like that was after reading the WT article on the PAM 233 in the summer of 2006. I love all my Rolex watches, but I've bought them since then ( and the VC OS).

This definitely won't be a day-to-day watch, but it fills a gap in my watches that I've been thinking about for awhile.
Thank you, Matt. The Montauk happens to be my wife's favorite LE as well.

You've described my watch magazine perusal habits to a T. I really liked the Rodeo Drive LE (see below), but the Montauk's addition of brown is another step up, IMO. Some found the Rodeo Drive LE to be too effeminate, but they sold out right away.

Honestly, there are only a couple I don't like that much. I love the Volcano, the Safari, the Navy, etc...but with your collection, the Montauk adds (to use my wife's description) the "perfect balance of spice and elegance".

This is the Rodeo Drive edition, which was sold at Westime in LA (not my images):

Old 11 August 2009, 04:14 AM   #35
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
Thank you, Matt. The Montauk happens to be my wife's favorite LE as well.

You've described my watch magazine perusal habits to a T. I really liked the Rodeo Drive LE (see below), but the Montauk's addition of brown is another step up, IMO. Some found the Rodeo Drive LE to be too effeminate, but they sold out right away.

Honestly, there are only a couple I don't like that much. I love the Volcano, the Safari, the Navy, etc...but with your collection, the Montauk adds (to use my wife's description) the "perfect balance of spice and elegance".

This is the Rodeo Drive edition, which was sold at Westime in LA (not my images):

Howard,
I remember that one. Yep, a bit too much light blue for me. I'd bet in blue jeans with a white shirt or something one could pull it off, but in the pic above (realize he's probably a salesman who popped it on for the pic) it looks silly. I'd be embarrassed to wear it with a dark suit like that.

The comment by your wife is insightful. As someone that went back and forth on the Safari and Navy, maybe the "MR" reasonates with me because it contains elements of both.
Old 11 August 2009, 04:21 AM   #36
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The comment by your wife is insightful. As someone that went back and forth on the Safari and Navy, maybe the "MR" reasonates with me because it contains elements of both.
Excellent point!
Old 11 August 2009, 05:27 AM   #37
BigHat
Banned

Well it's done. Travelling next week so they're going to ship it when I return. Don't want it sitting around.

In the interim, insuring the money issues are settled so no delays stemming from that.

Thanks everyone.
Old 11 August 2009, 06:01 AM   #38
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well it's done. Travelling next week so they're going to ship it when I return. Don't want it sitting around.

In the interim, insuring the money issues are settled so no delays stemming from that.

Thanks everyone.
Big-time congratulations, Matt. That is a spectacular watch!
Old 11 August 2009, 06:12 AM   #39
alphamale2012
"TRF" Member

That AP Volcano looks amazing. I so hate this site lol
alphamale2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2009, 01:50 AM   #40
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Can't decide if I must have this watch or it's just too crazy. Your thoughts. I think I like the color combo.

It's a limited edition (300) so probably couldn't get it anyway. Montauk Highway is the model

Got it this morning. Pics to follow.

Initial assessment:

1. Very nice. When assessed against the picture I'd say the blue is pretty close. The dial is creme colored like a Safari and while the sub dials have a gold ring around them they are more brown than the pic would indicate. It must be the flash reflection on the gold that leads to "lighter colored" sub dials in the picture. The strap is, like all the hornbacks, just awesome and the blue thread really sets it off. Most people I've shown mention that first.

It's certainly no dress watch, but it's not as flashy as I would have assumed from the picture.

Nice to have a ROO again. Been awhile. Such a thick watch though, I'll need to be careful around doorways etc.

Thanks again to all (ESPECIALLY Howard) for your assessments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apmontauk0.jpg (136.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 21 August 2009, 03:12 AM   #41
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Initial assessment:

1. Very nice. When assessed against the picture I'd say the blue is pretty close. The dial is creme colored like a Safari and while the sub dials have a gold ring around them they are more brown than the pic would indicate. It must be the flash reflection on the gold that leads to "lighter colored" sub dials in the picture. The strap is, like all the hornbacks, just awesome and the blue thread really sets it off. Most people I've shown mention that first.

It's certainly no dress watch, but it's not as flashy as I would have assumed from the picture.

Nice to have a ROO again. Been awhile. Such a thick watch though, I'll need to be careful around doorways etc.

Thanks again to all (ESPECIALLY Howard) for your assessments.
Congratulations, Matt...can't wait for the pics!
Old 21 August 2009, 03:34 AM   #42
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
wow Bighat...many congratulations...
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2009, 03:42 AM   #43
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Awesome! Huge congrats on this amazing watch, Matt! Enjoy in good health
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2009, 03:45 AM   #44
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
Old 22 August 2009, 08:06 PM   #45
mcoccia
"TRF" Member

Fantastic watch. Well done.
mcoccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 04:07 AM   #46
KKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIC
Quote:

Where are the pics? Include some wristshots if you can, I'd really like to see how that watch looks in place.

Oh, and congrats, it's really beautiful!

--