The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 4 September 2018, 10:56 AM   #1
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I have some catching up to do....

I have had peripheral interest and respect for Grand Seiko and only just found out that a local AD (Minneapolis) picked up the line this week. Had not delved into the brand as closest AD's were over 400 miles away, and wanted a local office for connection to their service network.

I look forward to reading the threads in this section to catch up.

Confusion reigns for me, however. Would the 36,000 High Beat be considered superior to the Spring Drive? Sorry to ask a Seiko "newbie" question, but would appreciate a commentary on reliability and accuracy of their various movements.

Apologize if I missed a previous thread on the topic.

Thanks!
Old 4 September 2018, 11:16 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Welcome to the bright side

Seiko has been making 36,000bph movements since the 1960s, and was the second watch company (after GP) to do so. They're basically the same as your Rolex/Omega/etc 28,800bph movement but they beat at ten times per second instead of eight. They tend to be more accurate but also require more frequent servicing (potentially anyway).

Spring Drive is a whole other thing, and, very crudely put, is a kind of quartz mechanical hybrid. No other company makes them.

GS 9F quartz movements are also worth looking at.

This is a great place to start, for learning about movements and more: https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/ Just scroll down to the "Three Movements" bit.
Old 4 September 2018, 11:20 AM   #3
Boothroyd

Thanks, Adam! Now I didn't realize that that High-Beats needed more frequent servicing. But the WIS in me thinks this is the movement to start with. I can feel a hole burning in my pocket.
Old 4 September 2018, 11:21 AM   #4
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Spring drive is more accurate
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 11:25 AM   #5
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Their spring drive is one of my favorite movements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Thanks, Adam! Now I didn't realize that that High-Beats needed more frequent servicing. But the WIS in me thinks this is the movement to start with. I can feel a hole burning in my pocket.
I don't know for sure if they still require more frequent servicing, but they certainly used to. The first Seiko Hi-Beat watch, the Lord Marvel 36000, came with a booklet that recommended service every 18 to 24 months, but that was back in the 60s.

There's a little bit of background and chat about Seiko Hi-Beat movements in this thread: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=585001
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0657.JPG (181.9 KB, 192 views)
Old 4 September 2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Old Expat Beast

This is worth watching as a quick GS primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfhhxC1VHDA
Old 4 September 2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Lol-x
Facilitator

Servicing every 18 to 24 months is comparatively a very short period compared to what we now see from Rolex being up to 10 years. Interesting, I must say.

Surely modern technology would have lengthened the service interval on modern 36,000 high beat movements produced today?

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Servicing every 18 to 24 months is comparatively a very short period compared to what we now see from Rolex being up to 10 years. Interesting, I must say.

Surely modern technology would have lengthened the service interval on modern 36,000 high beat movements produced today?
Sure, no doubt. But it'll likely still be marginally shorter than a regular 28,800 movt I would think.
Old 4 September 2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
I have had peripheral interest and respect for Grand Seiko and only just found out that a local AD picked up the line this week. Had not delved into the brand as closest AD's were over 400 miles away, and wanted a local office for connection their service network.

I look forward to reading the threads in this section to catch up.

Confusion reigns for me, however. Would the 36,000 High Beat be considered superior to the Spring Drive? Sorry to ask a Seiko "newbie" question, but would appreciate a commentary on reliability and accuracy of their various movements.

Apologize if I missed a previous thread on the topic.

Thanks!
Seeing them in person is whats going to sway you one way or the other. Handling them and seeing them in person was the thing that totally pushed me over the edge and made me put some money down. All of there models are pretty awesome. I own a Hi beat Gmt and love it. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 12:12 PM   #11
Boothroyd

I look forward to investigating locally and my guess is I have a model by "spring"-time. Thanks for all the comments and links!
Old 4 September 2018, 01:22 PM   #12
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Subscribed!
Old 8 September 2018, 09:35 PM   #13
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!)
"TRF" Member

Spring Drive is hands-down a class in its own. A Quartz That requires absolutely no batteries thanks to its mechanical innovations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 10:26 PM   #14
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) View Post
Spring Drive is hands-down a class in its own. A Quartz That requires absolutely no batteries thanks to its mechanical innovations.

I don’t consider Spring Drive to be a Quartz watch at all. The quartz crystal is used in an entirely different capacity than in a quartz watch.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 10:40 PM   #15
Old Expat Beast

Then there's the Kinetics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (245.8 KB, 124 views)
Old 8 September 2018, 11:53 PM   #16
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!)
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I don’t consider Spring Drive to be a Quartz watch at all. The quartz crystal is used in an entirely different capacity than in a quartz watch.
A quartz crystal that doesn’t draw power from a battery but instead from a mainspring— innovation where the best of automatic movements are married to modern circuitry that supplement one another.

I agree you can definitely separate it from the conventional thought process of today’s quartz timepieces, but in turn that’s also what makes it such an epic conversation starter.

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 01:39 AM   #17
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

Spring Drive is a whole other thing, and, very crudely put, is a kind of quartz mechanical hybrid. No other company makes them.

Apart from Piaget, that is (was?).
700P caliber fitted to the Emperador model, which retails (retailed?) for $68K, iirc.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 03:13 AM   #18
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Then there's the Kinetics...
Does this imply that wearing a Seiko Kinetic will improve my luck with women?
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 05:54 AM   #19
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Grand Seiko err on the side the caution - they understate the accuracy (by quite a bit) and have pessimistic service intervals.

What this means in practice is that your GS will be more accurate than advertised and require servicing no more often than an Omega or Rolex.

Whenever I've bought a GS from the boutique in London they've offered the first service free if taken within 5 years. So you won't need to pay for a service for at least ten years.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 06:41 AM   #20
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
Grand Seiko err on the side the caution - they understate the accuracy (by quite a bit) and have pessimistic service intervals.

What this means in practice is that your GS will be more accurate than advertised and require servicing no more often than an Omega or Rolex.

Whenever I've bought a GS from the boutique in London they've offered the first service free if taken within 5 years. So you won't need to pay for a service for at least ten years.
This is really not helping me resist the SBGJ217 I fell hard for at the Paris boutique....
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 08:21 AM   #21
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith1974 View Post
grand seiko err on the side the caution - they understate the accuracy (by quite a bit) and have pessimistic service intervals.

What this means in practice is that your gs will be more accurate than advertised and require servicing no more often than an omega or rolex.

Whenever i've bought a gs from the boutique in london they've offered the first service free if taken within 5 years. So you won't need to pay for a service for at least ten years.
+1
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 10:03 AM   #22
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Thanks for the heads up that a dealer picked up GS in Minneapolis! I had no idea, and now know where I’ll be making a lunchtime stop this week.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 10:15 AM   #23
metalgear
"TRF" Member

the spring-drive vs. mechanical movement questions makes its rounds periodically and i think it is going to come down to personal preference, so long as Seiko continues to support Spring drive parts for a long, long time.

the spring-drive movement to me clearly is innovation for mechanical watches done right. I am equally impressed with solar + GPS as the innovation for quartz, and long term i hope we start to see the watch industry start building and promoting across these 3 broad categories to increase interest and demand for watches.
metalgear is offline   Reply With Quote