The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 November 2020, 12:40 AM   #31
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Has anyone had luck with Lange AD negotiaions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlisted View Post
I would prefer to establish a relationship with an AD and buy new, but ~40% depreciation from retail upon stamping the papers keeps me from even entertaining retail...

Has anyone managed to attain a discount from a Lange boutique/AD? If so, mind sharing ballpark of %?

Of course the story is all the same over the phone (which I understand), and I'm not currently near any dealers. Would gladly travel to have a serious conversation, but I'm not going to fly anywhere to be told that retail + local tax (with a complimentary Perrier, of course) is the best they can do.

I'm willing to pay my fair share to do things the true blue way, but on a piece that's $50k-$80k retail, before tax, I just can't justify essentially losing $15k-$30k of value by walking out the door...

I wonder what OP bought. He hasn't logged on in a year.
Old 25 November 2020, 02:42 AM   #32
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiorolex View Post
I was under the impression that getting the VAT back wasn’t always that straightforward. Isn’t done via third party with potential for fraud or fees?
I haven't got VAT back from any item purchased in Paris from the Global Blue VAT program. I've kind of given up on VAT refunds from Paris purchased unless I'm getting it refunded at time of purchase. Luckily it's never been huge dollars but still annoying.

London purchased items are a better hit rate at like 75% on getting VAT refunded. Even then it's not the full VAT refund since Global Blue gets their cut.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 04:04 AM   #33
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I haven't got VAT back from any item purchased in Paris from the Global Blue VAT program. I've kind of given up on VAT refunds from Paris purchased unless I'm getting it refunded at time of purchase. Luckily it's never been huge dollars but still annoying.

London purchased items are a better hit rate at like 75% on getting VAT refunded. Even then it's not the full VAT refund since Global Blue gets their cut.
Sorry, I'm a little confused. You're fully entitled to the refund - what do you mean you don't get the refund in Paris, and your 'London hit rate' is 'like 75%'?

Don't know about Paris (we Brits haven't had access to tax-free shopping on the continent in decades), but from the UK you get about 16% back in your pocket after the middle-men get their cut...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 04:17 AM   #34
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Sorry, I'm a little confused. You're fully entitled to the refund - what do you mean you don't get the refund in Paris, and your 'London hit rate' is 'like 75%'?

Don't know about Paris (we Brits haven't had access to tax-free shopping on the continent in decades), but from the UK you get about 16% back in your pocket after the middle-men get their cut...
I live in the US. When I purchased items in Paris and turned in my receipts for VAT refund in EU airports, I didn't get my VAT credited back to me through Global Blue.

When I purchased items in London, I get my VAT credited back to me like 75% of the time. Of that 75% of the time I managed to get my VAT refund from London, the middle man took their cut.

One European trip I arrived in London bought some items. Chunnel'd to Paris a few days later and bought more things. Chunnel'd back to London and departed through Heathrow. I did Global Blue VAT refund and turned in all my receipts at once to Global Blue in Heathrow. I received my VAT refund for all items purchased in London. I never received any money from the Paris purchased items even though I was entitled to the refund.

Another European trip I flew to Paris and purchased some items. I then flew to Munich and bought more items. I departed back to the US through the Munich airport and did the VAT refund process in Munich. Again, I got stiffed on my Paris purchased items but received my 15EUR back or whatever the amount was from the Munich items.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 05:46 AM   #35
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I live in the US. When I purchased items in Paris and turned in my receipts for VAT refund in EU airports, I didn't get my VAT credited back to me through Global Blue.

When I purchased items in London, I get my VAT credited back to me like 75% of the time. Of that 75% of the time I managed to get my VAT refund from London, the middle man took their cut.

One European trip I arrived in London bought some items. Chunnel'd to Paris a few days later and bought more things. Chunnel'd back to London and departed through Heathrow. I did Global Blue VAT refund and turned in all my receipts at once to Global Blue in Heathrow. I received my VAT refund for all items purchased in London. I never received any money from the Paris purchased items even though I was entitled to the refund.

Another European trip I flew to Paris and purchased some items. I then flew to Munich and bought more items. I departed back to the US through the Munich airport and did the VAT refund process in Munich. Again, I got stiffed on my Paris purchased items but received my 15EUR back or whatever the amount was from the Munich items.
I suggest that you should be making a nuisance of yourself to those responsible. You are fully entitled to your refund. At best, it's an administrative oversight, at worst, theft.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 04:24 PM   #36
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

would love to see that Datograph Perpetual Tourbillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
27.5 per cent on my Datograph Perpetual Tourbillon. Only 18 per cent on the latest Lumen however.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 07:46 PM   #37
shafran
"TRF" Member

When I left Paris

I received the refund in the airport. Also in the City Center I received the refund at the galleria.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 08:21 AM   #38
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
I see this thread is a bit old, but what's a reasonable discount on a Saxonia Thin in the US these days? Has the pandemic helped or hurt our chances at a good discount? Traveling is impossible right now. Is there a particular US dealer worth calling? Thanks!
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 12:30 PM   #39
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBenF View Post
When I was in HK in March, I was offered 12% (plus a bunch of gifts) for the 1815 Chronograph from one of the boutiques. Also worth mentioning is that they offered an extra year’s warranty (total 3yrs) plus factory visit. At the time, none of the HK ADs had the watch. I wanted 17% so ended up walking away. This was prior to the Apr 1 price increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And, no regrets?
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 12:32 PM   #40
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
I see this thread is a bit old, but what's a reasonable discount on a Saxonia Thin in the US these days? Has the pandemic helped or hurt our chances at a good discount? Traveling is impossible right now. Is there a particular US dealer worth calling? Thanks!
I’ve heard 10% if lucky, and probably nothing as they want to maintain perceived brand value.. already these forums talking about discounts doesn’t make it good to the brand, Rolex has mastered that .. can’t ask for a discount if you can’t get it at full price either. Pandemic has been nasty on everything, and when it hasn’t had an impact, it’s used as an excuse to make you pay more or rob you of what once was achievable !
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 12:56 AM   #41
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I got a 10% off all inclusive of tax for the just released Little Lange One moonphase. Delivery is for November.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote