The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 January 2021, 01:02 AM   #1
gghbrl
"TRF" Member

Omega Newbie Seeking Purchasing Advice

Kind Ladies and Gents of the Omega Discussion Forum,

New member here looking for some purchasing advice from those who are smarter than me.

I have been meaning to purchase the Speedmaster Professional for some time now. When I came around to finally taking the plunge (about a month or two ago), I learned that the 1861 had been discontinued. Indeed, Omega boutiques in my area did not have any stock, and had no information on when a new shipment might come in.

I consoled myself with rumors of the 3861, which I decidedly prefer; the updated clasp, the new bracelet, the stepped dial, the ‘dot over 90’, all speak to me much more than the 1861. Upon the official announcement of the 3861, the Omega boutiques in my area informed me that they would receive the new piece in 2-3 months.

That being said, I have recently been lucky enough to ‘find’ (after some prodding) an Omega boutique in my area with one final 1861 in their inventory--the Hesalite version on a steel bracelet no less, the exact version I want to buy. Moreover, they are offering it to me at a 15% discount. This has placed me in a difficult predicament. I immediately reserved the watch, but I am honestly unsure what to do.

Despite the features of the 3861 that I decidedly prefer (explained above), there are some aspects of 1861 that I will nonetheless miss. In specific, the less wordy caseback (omitting the ‘in 1965’), and the older presentation box (with two additional straps which I will definitely put to use, an Omega loom, and the Speedmaster Seahorse paperweight), are features of the 1861 I wish I could keep. Moreover, the price difference is now even more significant, given the discount being offered on the 1861, and the premium on the 3861.

What do you think I should do? A part of me is telling me to purchase both, keep the 1861 in the box, and resell it in several years. Given the recent difficulty of acquiring this piece, I think I am very lucky to have it on reserve from an Omega boutique. Am I dumb to think this, as I have no idea how the 1861 might appreciate (or depreciate) in the years to come? Should I just save my money and purchase the 3861 in a few months when it becomes available at Omega boutiques in my area? Should I purchase the 1861 and call it mine?

Any advice would be appreciated. What would you do if you were me.

Thanks in advance to all.
gghbrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 06:47 PM   #2
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Both watches are obviously similar to one another but somewhat different in subtle ways and it really depends on which one speaks to you more.

The safe play is to get the 1861 today at the discount because they won't be making them any longer and the discounts on the new releases will only grow as time moves on.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 09:51 PM   #3
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Buy the 1861 now at a 15% discount and the 3861 a year from now when chances are they will be discounted as well.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 09:57 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A watch on the wrist is worth several that are promised. I would get the 1861 and enjoy wearing it and using the straps. In several months when the 3861 becomes widely available and possibly discounted then go check it out in person and see if it is for you. If so, buy it and enjoy. If not, no problem, as you have the 1861. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 10:32 PM   #5
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

I can’t believe a boutique offered that much of a discount!

My right answer is usually get both, and if you have the means, I second the idea of this one now and the 3861 in a few years (assuming omega doesn’t start constraining supply on this as well).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 10:42 PM   #6
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I would buy that speedy today. Great deal on a watch that will only go up in value and, buying for a boutique is great piece of mind.
Old 14 January 2021, 10:48 PM   #7
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
Buy the 1861 now at a 15% discount and the 3861 a year from now when chances are they will be discounted as well.
This, though I'm not to sure if the 3861 will be discounted down the road.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:43 PM   #8
cts
"TRF" Member

What was the msrp on the 1861, Sapphire and hesalite?
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:49 PM   #9
Dave455
"TRF" Member

My advice, in two words - BUY IT!

It’s a classic watch and this will be one of your last chances to buy one new. Buy it, look after it, and it will not only give you great enjoyment, but I suspect will also turn out to be a reasonable investment.

The new Speedy looks like it’s going to be a superb watch, but there’s a considerable price hike, and I think discounts are going to get progressively harder to find too.

If you really like the new Speedy then I doubt there will be a problem getting one, but you may not get another chance to get this one, at this price!
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:52 PM   #10
logo
"TRF" Member

15% off is amazing, I got 0% on the 1861. With the savings, you could just order the steel bracelet from the 3861.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:53 PM   #11
cts
"TRF" Member

What’s msrp for the 1863?
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 01:06 AM   #12
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I went to my AD yesterday and they had both the sapphire and Hesalite (older versions). They offered 10% discount, but I asked about the new ones too, and she said they could do 10% on the new one as well...which... is interesting...

The new Speedmaster is the catalyst that got me interested in pursuing a Speedmaster (sooner than later), but actually trying the 1861 on yesterday made me really ponder what I should do (without having seen the new one in person)... The discount and on top of $1000 MSRP less is very enticing.

Actually @logo has me rethinking, I do like the stepped pie pan dial, but there is something about the older dial that does seem less cluttered now that that has been pointed out.

One thing is for sure, even without seeing it in person, I will like the new bracelet much better.
gnuyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 01:08 AM   #13
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts View Post
What’s msrp for the 1863?
$6350 (I think)
gnuyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 01:39 AM   #14
Hands90
"TRF" Member

If I were in your shoes why not buy an 1861?
Why not? The value might even go up if you keep it in good condition. You might be able to sell it down the road for an updated 3861.

I'm not really a Rolex collector so I can't wait 3-6 months sometimes years for a watch.

Life is too short.

Buy the 1861, join the club and move on to the 3861 later if you really want to.
20210114_103410.jpg
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 02:03 AM   #15
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

In your shoes I'd get the 1861. I got my 1861 Hesalite version on a strap, but may end up getting the new bracelet from the 3861 as it's reported to fit well to the old case. If you get the watch on the old bracelet, an Omega boutique can assist you with swapping the clasp for an adjustable model that is remarkably affordable given the improvement in fit. I did this with my Planet Ocean and it made a world of difference in comfort.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:11 AM   #16
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I'd get the old one. It's a huge difference in price, and you're not getting that much more with the 3861.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:15 AM   #17
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I'd get the old one. It's a huge difference in price, and you're not getting that much more with the 3861.
Yeah not a huge difference…

Different dial
Different bracelet
Different movement
Different Chrono Hand

No difference at all… just the entire watch…
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:34 AM   #18
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Get the old one. The new one will only be more available over time. Just know that you’re not likely to get a bump just because the watch has been discontinued. The 1861 was one of the most popular speedys sold. There are tons of them. I’d buy and enjoy it
Phooi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:40 AM   #19
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
Yeah not a huge difference…

Different dial
Different bracelet
Different movement
Different Chrono Hand

No difference at all… just the entire watch…

Hey I like the new one. I’m on the record as saying that I think it’s an almost perfect evolution of the Moonwatch. But let’s not pretend those updates represent a sea change of sorts. An upgraded movement is great, but everything else that changed are minor aesthetic differences that may or may not be improvements depending on each persons taste.

SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 09:10 PM   #20
knighty88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
You started your quest for the older one first... so scratch that itch. You can switch to newer version later, but you can’t go back in time.

FWIW I own the older hesalite and believe you’ll enjoy it just as much as I do
knighty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 01:19 AM   #21
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Get the 1861 now...they’re not making any more of em, and you originally wanted it. There will always be time to get a 3861. Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 03:41 AM   #22
Cassidy776
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
If I were in your shoes why not buy an 1861?
Why not? The value might even go up if you keep it in good condition. You might be able to sell it down the road for an updated 3861.

I'm not really a Rolex collector so I can't wait 3-6 months sometimes years for a watch.

Life is too short.

Buy the 1861, join the club and move on to the 3861 later if you really want to.
Attachment 1197096
Sound advice
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:05 PM   #23
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
I picked up a 1861 Hesalite at a great discount last month and absolutely love it. I also got to handle the newer Speedy and while impressive, I wouldn’t pay $2k more for it. I say go for the discount and enjoy the 1861.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:10 PM   #24
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
I would buy that speedy today. Great deal on a watch that will only go up in value and, buying for a boutique is great piece of mind.

So omegas are going up in value to now? That’s nuts! Usually I get my omegas 30% off from a grey dealer or a trusted member of the forums. Maybe it’s time for a new hobby for me!
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:11 PM   #25
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

I have an 1861 sapphire sandwich. I prefer these watches on a leather strap. This is sort of a moot point for me, but if I wanted it on a bracelet, I’d wait. I like the new bracelet better.

In my case, I’m happy with what I got. I see no compelling case to trade mine in for the new model. Hacking seconds is nice I suppose but I have that on my Submariner and don’t take advantage of that...I rarely set it to the exact second of an atomic clock anyway. Sometimes I do, but most of the time I don’t.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:22 PM   #26
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I know guys with some very very serious collections and the 1861 (in one case 1863) pieces they own take up a lot of wrist time, for good reason.

The "upgrades" to the new 3861 don't personally mean anything to me. Its a nice watch and I'm sure the new movement is great, but the 1861 is perfection to me. I love everything about it - yes even the bracelet and the lack of hacking seconds (once you get used to it you know how you can hold the movement yourself with the crown).

So, I say get the 1861 whilst it's a bargain. They are (in my opinion) the best value watch money can buy right now.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:42 PM   #27
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
This
AEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 03:00 PM   #28
JohnAM
"TRF" Member

Watch: SBGV011
My AD also confirmed they will be offering a discount on the new one in 12 months or less

JohnAM is offline   Reply With Quote