The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2021, 07:19 AM   #1
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
PO 39.5.... Thinking about moving on from Rolex.

Hi there fellow Omega fans. Over the last 5 years the only watch Ive owned is my GMT 16710. I wear this watch 24-7, and absolutely adore it. What I’m not too keen on is the Rolex brand these days... the scarcity, ad games, the general snobbery about the product at dealers. I feel more disconnected from the brand than ever. Because of this I have spent more time focusing on other brand offerings, and before the lockdowns I spent some time checking out Breitlings, Omegas, and Panerais. It was really refreshing, at least compared to the Rolex AD experience.

I found myself really into the Planet Ocean lineup. What does everyone think of the PO 39.5? I’m not really into large watches , so 45mm is out, but I liked the 42 . Still think I’d prefer the 39.5 size as I love my 5 digit gmt’s size. The AD didn’t have one in stock at the time but could get one pretty easily. Does it wear pretty similar to 5 digit sport rolexes? If so, PERFECT!

Excited to explore other brands like Omega more. From what I can tell, the quality is often right on par with Rolex and the purchase experience much better.

Been a while since I’ve posted on these forums. Nice to be back
Old 18 January 2021, 07:24 AM   #2
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
It might wear smaller than the 5 digit Rolex. It wears smaller than its size due to curved lugs.

It has superior movement and finish ofcourse.

Also check out the Ceramic version of it, its absolutely gorgeous and very classic.

Look for Bear Clooney on YouTube he has many planet oceans and swears by them.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 07:24 AM   #3
C0d
Banned

Double post
Old 18 January 2021, 07:28 AM   #4
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I love the original PO. I'd consider the 42mm 2201.50 and send to Omega for a complete service so you can have a brand new watch. I own the XL and it's one of the best looking Omega ever produced IMHO. Good luck.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 07:56 AM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Have a look at the "standard" sized Planet Ocean, with Caliber 8900. It's 43.5mm on the spec sheet, but I think you'll like the fit.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:07 AM   #6
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

You will notice the thickness difference coming from a GMT
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 10:02 AM   #7
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I have the original Planet Ocean (42mm) and I will never sell it. To be honest, I haven't been keeping up with the new iteration of the PO, but 39.5 sounds very attractive.

I will say, I went to the Omega Boutique yesterday and I was blown away by the ATs. Amazing dials in person (as are the Seamaster Pros)...

I like Rolex, but with the few exceptions, I generally prefer the Omega equivalent (ex, I prefer the Speedmaster over the Daytona, AT over the Datejust). I do prefer the Explorer (and currently waiting 5 months for one) over the Railmaster , however, and I'm not sure Omega has the equivalent of the GMT, I know they have some GMT complications, like on the PO, but it's not the same IMO.

gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 10:53 AM   #8
Crunchie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post

I like Rolex, but with the few exceptions, I generally prefer the Omega equivalent (ex, I prefer the Speedmaster over the Daytona, AT over the Datejust). I do prefer the Explorer (and currently waiting 5 months for one) over the Railmaster , however, and I'm not sure Omega has the equivalent of the GMT, I know they have some GMT complications, like on the PO, but it's not the same IMO.

Current Explorer over current Railmaster is definitely a win for the Rolex, but the watch I’d probably most like to add to my 36mm Explorer is the Railmaster from about ten or so years ago, when there was a 36mm version of that too.

Mmm, nice!

Regarding modern Planet Oceans, I think the bigger issue is the thickness, not the dial size. The bigger size might even be a better fit, as it’s more in proportion.
Crunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 11:27 AM   #9
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

I’ve tried on the PO 39.5 at the boutique...I think it is awesome. For wrists under 7” I can find no fault with it. Really deserves more praise. If I didn’t already have an Omega diver (2254.50), I’d be setting my sights on the PO. Modern Seamaster Professionals wear a little to big in me, and the larger POs are out of the question. Best wishes.

BTW, I would’t say that the 39.5 PO wears the same as 5-digit Rolexes because it is designed differently, but still in that same sweet spot of feel (proportion on wrist). I’m a fan.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 12:07 PM   #10
Emery
"TRF" Member

I find the PO 39.5 to wear noticeably thicker than my 14060M.

I've never tried a 16710 so can't comment on how it compares.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:46 PM   #11
D33V8
"TRF" Member

I have a 6.5 inch wrist and have the 39.5 PO. It is thicker than the GMT but not as thick as the 43 PO, it doesn't bother me at all. For me it wears great. I haven't had the 5 digit gmt. I did have the 6 digit sub and the maxi case for me just didn't work, it wore too big for my liking. Needless to say I love the PO's... I actually own 2. Good luck whatever you choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D33V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 09:43 PM   #12
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I have a first Gen PO that works well in rotation w my 16710. Yes it’s overall thicker in size when compared to the GMT and fits well on my 6.7 or so wrist.
Old 18 January 2021, 09:52 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I have the original Planet Ocean (42mm) and I will never sell it. To be honest, I haven't been keeping up with the new iteration of the PO, but 39.5 sounds very attractive.

I will say, I went to the Omega Boutique yesterday and I was blown away by the ATs. Amazing dials in person (as are the Seamaster Pros)...

That’s a beauty indeed
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 10:06 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sounds like you found he right watch. Go get it and let us know what you think.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 10:14 PM   #15
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Colin - first of all, I would say do not get rid of your GMT.

Yes, I agree that I dislike many of the things that have been going on, especially the way the dealers behave, but you already have your watch, so are immune from much of that. And none of this alters the fact that the 16710 is a superb watch. If you have been wearing it 24/7 for 5 years it’s only natural that you should be thinking of a change, but get something else to wear in rotation, and keep your GMT.

The Planet Oceans are superb watches, but the one big difference compared to most Rolex offerings, is the thickness. It’s most noticeable in the smaller watches too, so if you haven’t already done so, make sure you try one on before you buy.

I personally, have come very close to buying one of these, and regret not getting one of the previous generations with the orange aluminium bezel. These were superb watches, a totally different concept from anything in the Rolex line, and with a superb movement. The only thing that prevented me doing so was the thickness.

Like yourself, I like the 39.5 the best in the current line. I think it’s the perfect size for a “sports” watch, and the quality is first class at the moment too. You do also get used to a thicker watch quite quickly, which is also something to consider.

D33V8 - those are both totally stunning! They look perfect. I can understand why you went for both!
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 01:58 AM   #16
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Definitely try on the 39.5 before buying. I'm glad I did because the thickness for the size just didn't work for me. It has the same dimensions as the Omega Speedmaster FOIS but the FOIS is a true 39.7M while the PO 39.5 dial is actually closer to 38mm so the watch looks smaller on the wrist. At 14mm, this caused the watch to look out of proportion on my wrist.

I still believe the first generation was the best proportioned PO. That was 42mm with a 40mm dial at 14mm thick (basically the same size as a Speedy Pro). It's one of the things I regret not buying new back in the day.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 02:16 AM   #17
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

One day I'll buy one of these again. I don't regret selling a watch more than this one. Such a true classic, I understand why the new ones are thicker but Omega should have left the dial alone. Nothing like open 6s and 9s.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 02:59 AM   #18
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

PO 39.5.... Thinking about moving on from Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin10101 View Post
Hi there fellow Omega fans. Over the last 5 years the only watch Ive owned is my GMT 16710. I wear this watch 24-7, and absolutely adore it. What I’m not too keen on is the Rolex brand these days... the scarcity, ad games, the general snobbery about the product at dealers. I feel more disconnected from the brand than ever. Because of this I have spent more time focusing on other brand offerings, and before the lockdowns I spent some time checking out Breitlings, Omegas, and Panerais. It was really refreshing, at least compared to the Rolex AD experience.

I found myself really into the Planet Ocean lineup. What does everyone think of the PO 39.5? I’m not really into large watches , so 45mm is out, but I liked the 42 . Still think I’d prefer the 39.5 size as I love my 5 digit gmt’s size. The AD didn’t have one in stock at the time but could get one pretty easily. Does it wear pretty similar to 5 digit sport rolexes? If so, PERFECT!

Excited to explore other brands like Omega more. From what I can tell, the quality is often right on par with Rolex and the purchase experience much better.

Been a while since I’ve posted on these forums. Nice to be back

I don't own a Rolex; I've always decided on Omega because to me, the PO is the best looking sports diver. I 100% say go for it, but;

A) don't sell your Rolex - no matter how much you dislike the brand now - it's the watch you love not the brand
B) at least try the 43.5mm before buying the 39.5 - it wears smaller than it reads - I have a thin wrist and was pleasantly surprised
Old 19 January 2021, 03:40 AM   #19
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The whole PO line is terrific. My suggestion would be to try on a 39.5 mm AND a 42 mm. You may be surprised which you prefer. All Omegas wear smaller than their stated size. The 42 will wear very similar to a 40. But regardless of which your wind up liking best, the Planet Ocean is a great choice. Good luck
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 06:26 AM   #20
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

I’ve tried on the 39.5mm and I think it’s a great watch. Not too thick at all.

The only issue is the adjustable clasp on the 39.5mm only adjusts the length of a half link. If I recall correctly I don’t think there is a half link on the 39.5mm. I believe the clasps on the larger PO adjusts a full link.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 07:09 AM   #21
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Colin10101 - I too have a 16710 (Pepsi) and have totally given up on Rolex. No regrets.

And I'm also considering a PO. After I considered the 39.5mm, I think the 42mm will work for me because it would probably get the most wear during the summer months where I spend most of my time at the beach. And I probably would never wear a long sleeve shirt or suit during the warm months. And even the few occasions I wear a long sleeve shirt I don't think the 16mm height would bother me at all.

But you have to decide. I think trying both on is the best way to help come to a conclusion. Good luck.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:53 AM   #22
D33V8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave455 View Post
Colin - first of all, I would say do not get rid of your GMT.

Yes, I agree that I dislike many of the things that have been going on, especially the way the dealers behave, but you already have your watch, so are immune from much of that. And none of this alters the fact that the 16710 is a superb watch. If you have been wearing it 24/7 for 5 years it’s only natural that you should be thinking of a change, but get something else to wear in rotation, and keep your GMT.

The Planet Oceans are superb watches, but the one big difference compared to most Rolex offerings, is the thickness. It’s most noticeable in the smaller watches too, so if you haven’t already done so, make sure you try one on before you buy.

I personally, have come very close to buying one of these, and regret not getting one of the previous generations with the orange aluminium bezel. These were superb watches, a totally different concept from anything in the Rolex line, and with a superb movement. The only thing that prevented me doing so was the thickness.

Like yourself, I like the 39.5 the best in the current line. I think it’s the perfect size for a “sports” watch, and the quality is first class at the moment too. You do also get used to a thicker watch quite quickly, which is also something to consider.

D33V8 - those are both totally stunning! They look perfect. I can understand why you went for both!

Thanks!

Old 19 January 2021, 12:02 PM   #23
D33V8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
I’ve tried on the 39.5mm and I think it’s a great watch. Not too thick at all.

The only issue is the adjustable clasp on the 39.5mm only adjusts the length of a half link. If I recall correctly I don’t think there is a half link on the 39.5mm. I believe the clasps on the larger PO adjusts a full link.

Very true about the clasp. I however worked with the Boutique and was able swap the clasp for the larger one. If I remember correctly the original had 3 settings and the larger has 6. It makes a huge difference and worth asking for.

Old 19 January 2021, 07:11 PM   #24
tna23
"TRF" Member

I was very close to buying a 39.5mm PO but ended up with a 38mm AT because of the thickness and weight of the PO. It's far heavier than what I'm used to and I was worried about wearability over long periods of time.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
tna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:19 AM   #25
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin10101 View Post

I found myself really into the Planet Ocean lineup. What does everyone think of the PO 39.5? I dropped by an Omega dealer to check out the PO line. And to see if they had any Ploprofs in stock. I too was thinking the 39.5 PO sounded good. Because the Case itself is larger than the bezel, the dial feels smaller than a 40mm 5digit sub... I'd say that it will feel more like a midpoint between a 36mm President and a 40mm 5 Digit. But a little thicker.... I tried on a 43.5mm PO and it was too big and thick. Especially the GMT's.... So given that they've Discontinued the 42, 39.5 is the best choice for me...

I’m not really into large watches , so 45mm is out, but I liked the 42 . Still think I’d prefer the 39.5 size as I love my 5 digit gmt’s size. The 42mm 2500 Caliber fits more like a 5 digit. But outside of the Liquid Metal PO Limited Edition 2500 cal, your choice is thick 8500 Ceramic Beauty, or thin 2500 matte original PO... I love the look of the Ceramic Models. I think if your wrist is a little on the larger size, the 42mm will fit nicely even in the 8500.

The AD didn’t have one in stock at the time but could get one pretty easily. Does it wear pretty similar to 5 digit sport rolexes? As I mentioned before, smaller dial made it feel more 38mm, right between the 36/40 rolexes I own. If so, PERFECT!

Excited to explore other brands like Omega more. Me Too.
Checkout measurements for both the 42mm 8500 and the 39.5mm 8500.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/s...-8500.4526431/

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:26 AM   #26
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Definitely try on the 39.5 before buying. I'm glad I did because the thickness for the size just didn't work for me. It has the same dimensions as the Omega Speedmaster FOIS but the FOIS is a true 39.7M while the PO 39.5 dial is actually closer to 38mm so the watch looks smaller on the wrist. At 14mm, this caused the watch to look out of proportion on my wrist.

I still believe the first generation was the best proportioned PO. That was 42mm with a 40mm dial at 14mm thick (basically the same size as a Speedy Pro). It's one of the things I regret not buying new back in the day.
I had the same experience. 38mm feel on diameter, a little thick for the width.

If they would lower the rating to 3-400m and narrow the case height, ditch the HE valve, it'd be a winner for sure. Loving the lust i'm having for Omega recently.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 07:52 AM   #27
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33V8 View Post
Very true about the clasp. I however worked with the Boutique and was able swap the clasp for the larger one. If I remember correctly the original had 3 settings and the larger has 6. It makes a huge difference and worth asking for.

I didn’t know that was possible. That makes things very interesting. Thanks for the info.

On a slightly separate note (apologies to OP) what do you think the chances of Omega releasing a PO without a date? I much prefer the look and simplicity of no date watches.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 08:05 AM   #28
C0d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
I didn’t know that was possible. That makes things very interesting. Thanks for the info.

On a slightly separate note (apologies to OP) what do you think the chances of Omega releasing a PO without a date? I much prefer the look and simplicity of no date watches.
I think we might see a ND Seamaster before PO as Omega prepares to go "full bore" against each and every Rolex offering.

There were rumours of one, but turns out its a Swiss Army only version.

I understand if SMP 300 is not to your taste.

There is also Seamaster 300 that's being revised to launch soon (also no date).
Old 20 January 2021, 11:53 AM   #29
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

I just wanted to say thank you to all that took the time to reply. I’ve read through all of your comments and they are all really helpful. I’m going to take a closer at the PO 42 2500, it may just be the one I’m looking for. Just gotta wait for the shops to open up again