The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 January 2021, 09:40 AM   #91
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
When Rolex makes subtle changes, TRF call it "timeless" and "true to its roots" and :that's why Rolex always hold value"
  • New submariner has thinnger lugs. TRF: WOW SUPERAWESOME
  • New submariner has bigger clasp. TRF: I DON"T CARE IT SOMEHOW FITS BETTER
  • New submariner is bigger. TRF: IT REALLY DOESN"T LOOK THAT WAY, IN FACT IT WEARS SMALLER

Omega makes subtle changes, TRF call it "price grab" and "not worth the upgrade"
  • New moontwatch is thinner. TRF: I AM FINE WITH THE OLD ONE
  • New moonwatch has a tapered bracelet. TRF: I FIND 1861 TO BE NICER AND MORE MASCULINE
  • New moonwatch has a better movement. TRF: BUT ITS NOT NASA CERTIFIED

Lol what do those guys know anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 10:18 AM   #92
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Per Omegaforums

Canadian pricing will be:
- 8550 CAD hesalite
- 9700 CAD saphire
I’m glad I picked up the old one(hesalite) in December. I couldn’t justify another $1800cdn & 15% HST for the new model and would have probably passed.
If my calculations are right it’s almost a 27% increase here in Canada with the 15% HST applied.
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 11:27 AM   #93
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
When Rolex makes subtle changes, TRF call it "timeless" and "true to its roots" and :that's why Rolex always hold value"
  • New submariner is bigger. TRF: IT REALLY DOESN"T LOOK THAT WAY, IN FACT IT WEARS SMALLER

Omega makes subtle changes, TRF call it "price grab" and "not worth the upgrade"
  • New moonwatch has a tapered bracelet. TRF: I FIND 1861 TO BE NICER AND MORE MASCULINE

mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 11:37 AM   #94
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:

Yeah, you may have a point...

WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 11:53 AM   #95
jmed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtddd2007 View Post
Really like it...gonna add to collection! Love the new bracelet and the 90 dot at Bezel and new movement.

Can someone explain the 90 dot to me, no sure I understand the importance of this and why omega even points this out on website
jmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 11:53 AM   #96
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

That still might be an adjustable clasp. It looks long enough to have the slide adjust.

We will have to wait for someone to actually get one in their hands other than Omega propaganda officers...lol
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 12:37 PM   #97
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Intriguing. The Moonwatch introduced me to watches when I stood at my father's side while he bought one from a shop on Broadway in our Upper West Side neighborhood. I was about ten. Mid '70s. He showed me the caseback with the engraving about the "first watch worn on the moon" and I was hooked on watches ("Live and Let Die", and Roger Moore's handy Submariner, also played a part in capturing my interest).

In the early '90s, my dad gave me that Moonwatch. I have it and wear it still. I bought the "First Omega in Space" a few years ago. That made for a nice pair of space worthy Speedmasters and I had no interest in another. Recent reports of an updated model caused a yawn. If it wasn't THE Moonwatch, it wasn't A Moonwatch...meaning a model that actually made the trip. Several times.

However, seeing the website today gives me pause. Perhaps I dismissed the idea too hastily. I like that the option of Hesalite or Sapphire crystal exists. They could have gone for just one or the other. A nice choice...to remain traditional or not. The idea of the Sapphire caseback is also intriguing. A view into the heart of the beast.

Anyway, I have no idea whether I'll buy one, or, if I do, which one will I buy. However, the question is more likely, "which one?"
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 12:51 PM   #98
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
This thread deserves better photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
That still might be an adjustable clasp. It looks long enough to have the slide adjust.

We will have to wait for someone to actually get one in their hands other than Omega propaganda officers...lol
I could be wrong but I think the two holes are the answer you're looking for.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 01:00 PM   #99
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
Intriguing. The Moonwatch introduced me to watches when I stood at my father's side while he bought one from a shop on Broadway in our Upper West Side neighborhood. I was about ten. Mid '70s. He showed me the caseback with the engraving about the "first watch worn on the moon" and I was hooked on watches ("Live and Let Die", and Roger Moore's handy Submariner, also played a part in capturing my interest).

In the early '90s, my dad gave me that Moonwatch. I have it and wear it still. I bought the "First Omega in Space" a few years ago. That made for a nice pair of space worthy Speedmasters and I had no interest in another. Recent reports of an updated model caused a yawn. If it wasn't THE Moonwatch, it wasn't A Moonwatch...meaning a model that actually made the trip. Several times.
Love this story. Thanks for sharing.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 01:30 PM   #100
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I could be wrong but I think the two holes are the answer you're looking for.
Yeah...I have an adjustable clasp on my Tintin..and it doesn’t have the holes...

So the new clasp is built like the old one. From the pin and collar bracelet
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 01:51 PM   #101
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

I like it but the upgrade is not enough to move me away from the now discontinued version I own. I would have liked to see a column wheel. All the writing on the case back looks ridiculous.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 02:00 PM   #102
logo
"TRF" Member

I guess also the discontinued version has the history of actually being used in space. I don’t know much about watch collecting for the sake of value, but to me a watch configuration that has gone to space carries hefty weight. Will be interesting to see what is used for future moon missions and Mars though. I suspect the new version, which probably will need a new round of NASA testing (and a new case back to signify Mars approved/first watch on Mars). One thing I do believe is that we have entered the next great space decade with SpaceX launches, lunar gateway development, moon/Mars missions etc. When we see that next batch of humans on the moon in a few years, it will only be a matter of time before everyone wants to get their hands on a moonwatch.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 02:03 PM   #103
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I think it looks great. I'm not sure what the complainers were really expecting? You can't turn the Moonwatch into something it isn't. You can get a Speedy Racing if you want an ultra-modern Speedmaster. The Moonwatch needs to retain its charm, and I'm glad they stayed with an aluminum bezel and updated the movement. So they increased the price, so what? The market will continue to determine the price.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 02:16 PM   #104
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
The rubber will meet the road with what discounts ADs offer (if any). In the Midwest it seems 20% off MSRP was pretty much a given on the Hesalite and Sapphire 1861 models.

We shall see.

If they would drop the 321 in the Hesalite model and been done it would be a home run.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 02:19 PM   #105
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:

=) on point
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 02:24 PM   #106
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by H25B View Post
The rubber will meet the road with what discounts ADs offer (if any). In the Midwest it seems 20% off MSRP was pretty much a given on the Hesalite and Sapphire 1861 models.

We shall see.

If they would drop the 321 in the Hesalite model and been done it would be a home run.
You are obviously not up to date on Omega.

321 is only for Ed White.

I think it's only a matter of time before it comes to Speedy 42 but it will be much more expensive.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 02:37 PM   #107
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it's only a matter of time before it comes to Speedy 42 but it will be much more expensive.
Yep it's the mega speedy they're currently holding back on. I do wonder when they will drop it in. Probably when the Ed White run is done?

I hope they release a regular FOIS with the 3861. That would be great.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 03:05 PM   #108
scottlech
"TRF" Member

42mm is a bit too big for my tastes but that new bracelet looks fantastic. Shame it doesn’t appear to have micro adjustments.
scottlech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 03:10 PM   #109
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlech View Post
42mm is a bit too big for my tastes but that new bracelet looks fantastic. Shame it doesn’t appear to have micro adjustments.
Micro adjustments? Similar to those on GMT Master and Daytona?
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 03:33 PM   #110
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
You are obviously not up to date on Omega.

321 is only for Ed White.

They already have a 321 in a Speedy 42. It costs like $50k USD and comes in a platinum case. I don't see Omega dropping the 321 in a standard SS Hesalite Speedy any time soon though. At least not until Omega runs out of the metorite they're using to make the subdials for the platinum 321.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 08:15 PM   #111
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGingerwood View Post
Its.....beautiful.
This
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 08:20 PM   #112
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
...The Moonwatch introduced me to watches when I stood at my father's side while he bought one from a shop on Broadway in our Upper West Side neighborhood. I was about ten. Mid '70s. He showed me the caseback with the engraving about the "first watch worn on the moon" and I was hooked on watches...
Cool. I think we would enjoy seeing that watch, if you're inclined to share
Old 6 January 2021, 09:07 PM   #113
Chromosome
"TRF" Member

like the new speedy. I prefer the bracelet from the new hesalite version as it doesn't have polished centre-links. My preference would be to have this bracelet with the sapphire case with applied logo
Chromosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 10:04 PM   #114
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Wow. This one looks pretty tempting...

Old 6 January 2021, 10:55 PM   #115
Gazoak
"TRF" Member

I'm happy with mine which now appears to be somewhat of a bargain compared to the new iteration although I do think the new bracelet is an improvement, particularly on the hesalite and more true to the original design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moonwatch Hesalite Crystal.jpg (91.1 KB, 318 views)
Gazoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 11:57 PM   #116
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Yes but also CHF 22,800

Anyway it is a beauty
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 12:11 AM   #117
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
1861 was always available for 30% discount from an AD and upto 40% on grey market. So calling it cheap is totally off the mark when it wasn't even selling at MSRP easily.

Secondly now 3861 will be hard to get especially in the beginning and then buying it at MSRP or near to it with additional 18% price increase will make the watch twice the old model. So, 1861 at $3.5K street price vs $6.3K new watch is huge jump at this point.
I never saw 30% discount on new Omega Speedy's from AD same with 40% on grey for new pieces, dont know where you have this info

IMHO old prices were convenient but for the history and legacy too low positioned, probably that was the Omega strategy at that time, lately it seems Omega is going upwards and good for them
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 02:12 AM   #118
logo
"TRF" Member

Anyone finding any of the discontinued speedmasters at ADs? Bet they aren’t going at much of a discount now. Do you think the new version will be sold at discount or will ADs try and keep the price/demand perception up?
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 02:39 AM   #119
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
My guess is for the first year or two, there won't be large discounts on the 3861 like you used to be able to find on the 1861 Speedies. As people start getting their watches, eventually you'll see some discounting. I just don't expect to see the good old days of 30%+ discounts on Speedies. I bought my FOIS back in 2017 for a 34% discount. Those days are gone for the next few years IMO.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 02:41 AM   #120
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

No kidding! Man that looks sharp, especially with the gator strap
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote