The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 January 2021, 01:18 AM   #1
punta del este
"TRF" Member

Need advice on AP Royal Oak QP Purchase

Hi all,

I am currently negotiating to purchase a 2003 AP Royal Oak 25820ST 39mm Perpetual Calendar, however the piece doesn’t have original papers. It’s not from a dealer or shop but rather from a private seller.

I contacted AP Geneva gave them the serial number and case number for the watch to find out if it has ever been reported as stolen on their register. They were initially very helpful and said they would contact me once they had they made the appropriate checks.

After a day the lady I had been speaking to called me and said that it’s not possible to release any information regarding the watch. Obviously I can pay for an Extract from the Archives if I hand the watch into AP however I can only do that if I compete the purchase.

Is there anybody that knows of a process or way of confirming whether a watch is registered stolen prior to me purchasing this watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
punta del este is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 01:39 AM   #2
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Does the private seller have references? Are they reputable?

Perhaps tell them your concern and see if they will stand behind it - obvious factor here is that they have references and are reputable.
Old 13 January 2021, 03:51 AM   #3
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post

Perhaps tell them your concern and see if they will stand behind it - obvious factor here is that they have references and are reputable.

Good advice.

If you get the watch, please post pictures, it’s a reference I’m considering.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 03:56 AM   #4
punta del este
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post

Unfortunately he does not have references as he is not a big collector or seller. I have very little comeback should there be a problem as, although he comes across as trustworthy, he bought it from a dealer around 15 years ago in Dubai and doesn’t know the history of the watch himself.

I am surprised that a brand like AP wouldn’t at least confirm that a watch is safe to buy once you provide the relevant case numbers.

Old 13 January 2021, 04:51 AM   #5
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Need advice on AP Royal Oak QP Purchase

Could you have him drop the piece off at a boutique for servicing or to get the extract then transact when AP sends the piece back? Believe the cost of the extract is 2k or so which is reasonable safety of mind insurance considering the price of the watch

If he’s unwilling to do this I’d walk away. Big red flag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 04:55 AM   #6
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Extract from archives is about $250, maybe try drop it together and say you will pay for it.

The full authentication check from AP is about $1k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 05:34 AM   #7
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punta del este View Post
Unfortunately he does not have references as he is not a big collector or seller. I have very little comeback should there be a problem as, although he comes across as trustworthy, he bought it from a dealer around 15 years ago in Dubai and doesn’t know the history of the watch himself.

I am surprised that a brand like AP wouldn’t at least confirm that a watch is safe to buy once you provide the relevant case numbers.

I'd stay away unless you don't care about the money, which I doubt is the case. Why doesn't the owner himself gets it checked out by AP? Seems like money well spent if he wants to sell it.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 06:22 AM   #8
punta del este
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advice, it was always going to be a condition of purchase that I am 100% secure in the fact that it’s not stolen.

As it has no papers I was always going to order the Extract of the Archives, but as we are in lockdown in the UK it’s not an option as London House would be closed I can’t get to order it any time soon, and the seller can’t afford to wait 4-5 weeks till we are open.

Hence I was hoping someone on the forum might have an alternative idea or solution.

Old 13 January 2021, 06:48 AM   #9
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punta del este View Post
Thanks for all the advice, it was always going to be a condition of purchase that I am 100% secure in the fact that it’s not stolen.

As it has no papers I was always going to order the Extract of the Archives, but as we are in lockdown in the UK it’s not an option as London House would be closed I can’t get to order it any time soon, and the seller can’t afford to wait 4-5 weeks till we are open.

Hence I was hoping someone on the forum might have an alternative idea or solution.

I interpret the sense of urgency as another red flag.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 06:53 AM   #10
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post
I interpret the sense of urgency as another red flag.
100%

If the watch is priced on the cheap side be cautious

Sometimes its better to pay that little bit more for that peace of mind. Its not like you're buying a bar of chocolate.
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 11:52 AM   #11
Johnny Crystal
"TRF" Member

Buy the seller not the watch has never seemed as needed advice as in this case
Johnny Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:14 AM   #12
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Ap will always want to sell you a new watch and they don't make used purchases easy for you.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote