The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which His and Her watch set you like
Grand Seiko 'Snowflake' 1 4.17%
Cartier Tank/ Francaise 14 58.33%
Tag Heuer Carrera 3 12.50%
Longines Flagship 0 0%
Your Suggestion (please comment) 6 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 January 2024, 09:16 PM   #1
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
His and Her watch sest suggestion

Me and my wife are having a 15th anniversary of our wedding next April. As one of gift ideas I am looking for a pair of matching 'his and her' watches. Just to give a brief background: I am a watch collector and currently have different types of watches, including Rolex DJ, Rolex Sub, Omega Seamaster, Cartier Santos, GS SBGA375 and few others. My wife is not really into watches and prefer wearing rather small watches - used to wear a Seiko some time ago, but currently wearing a fitness band. She is also not really in the jewelry/ brands (yes, I am lucky one ;) )

General preferences/ criteria
  • Prefer watches that look exactly the same (or very similar) in looks
  • Prefer automatic movement with decent power reserve, while quartz may be acceptable for HER
  • Prefer it to be water resistant (50m or more)
  • Prefer on bracelet, but strap may be acceptable
  • Prefer SS, white gold may or bi-metal may also be acceptable
  • Preferred size is 39-41mm for HIM and less than 30mm for HER
  • Budget is up to 10k for both watches, but of course I don't want to spend money just for the sake of spending
  • The watches should be new/ unused

I've looked through many watches and currently considering following options (ranked by preference):

1) Grand Seiko 'Snowflake' - STGF 359, quartz (HER) and SBGA221, spring drive (HIM). Generally, I like the set, water resistance and power reserve is acceptable, the only concern - I already have a GS - SBGA375 which is somewhat similar (3 hands, PR indicator, Spring Drive) which I chose over Snowflake some time ago. That said, the case shape and material is different, dial is different etc. Can buy the set for around 6k
2) Cartier Must or Francaise (Small quartz and Large auto). Similar to GS, I already have Cartier (Santos) which is very similar. While the watches are nice and women usually love those, not sure if my wife is 'that type of a girl'. I can source the set for around 8k
3) Tag Heuer Carrera Date (39 mm and 29mm - both automatic, like the looks and water resistance, but don't like power reserve 38h and 40 hours - can't even live over the weekend). Set can be bought for around 5k
4) Longines Flagship, good power reserve, but poor water resistance. Probably the cheapest of 4 options. I can get a set for around 3.5k
5) YOUR SUGGESTION I will appreciate any other ideas of watch sets matching the above criteria. I really like Omega's but couldn't find a proper set. I was looking at Tissot PRX some time ago, but after trying it on recently I decided to pass on it.
chaosiwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 09:25 PM   #2
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wife is not really into watches and prefer wearing rather small watches - used to wear a Seiko some time ago, but currently wearing a fitness band. She is also not really in the jewelry/ brands (yes, I am lucky one ;) )
I hate to a Debbie Downer here, but I wouldn’t be looking at watches as a gift in this situation. Not at all. I’d find something else she or you both like and go with that. This may not end up in a disaster but there is no way it’s going to be a home run gift situation for her.

Gifting watches to women blind has never worked for me at all, so I’m likely biased in my decision making.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 09:41 PM   #3
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
I hate to a Debbie Downer here, but I wouldn’t be looking at watches as a gift in this situation. Not at all. I’d find something else she or you both like and go with that. This may not end up in a disaster but there is no way it’s going to be a home run gift situation for her.

Gifting watches to women blind has never worked for me at all, so I’m likely biased in my decision making.
Fair comment, thanks! Any ideas on something else? I have chosen a watches for the following reasons: I love watches (probably an excuse to buy another watch ) and wanted something that will last for a long time and commemorate our anniversary...
Old 8 January 2024, 09:50 PM   #4
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosiwe View Post
Fair comment, thanks! Any ideas on something else? I have chosen a watches for the following reasons: I love watches (probably an excuse to buy another watch ) and wanted something that will last for a long time and commemorate our anniversary...
“Hey sweetie, let’s play a game. If you found 20k on the ground and you had to blow it within 24hrs or the money evaporates, what 3 things would you buy?”

Go with something on that list. She will likely pick up on what’s going on but the end result is she gets what she wants and you are a hero.

I’m horrible at creative gifting so I gave up on it years ago.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 09:51 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Rolex use to make the Yacht-Master in several sizes. A couple we know has the 40mm version for the man and either the 37mm or 35mm version for the wife. They look really good.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 12:05 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Rolex use to make the Yacht-Master in several sizes. A couple we know has the 40mm version for the man and either the 37mm or 35mm version for the wife. They look really good.
Great idea.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 12:07 AM   #7
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:

This
Old 9 January 2024, 12:12 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

You’re not alone at all

Take her on a trip with the 10k
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 02:19 AM   #9
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosiwe View Post
My wife is not really into watches and prefer wearing rather small watches - used to wear a Seiko some time ago, but currently wearing a fitness band.
For our 10yr, I got my wife and I Tudors and had the casebacks engraved. She got a BB31, silver dial, and I got myself a BB58 in blue. She wasn't into watches, and doesn't really care much for jewelry. Her Apple watch was about the only thing she wore.

The Tudor sparked her interest, though, and she's now a watch nerd. Not quite WIS status, but close.

So...you know your wife, you know if this will bomb or be a good idea. If you feel this is a solid move, go with what she'd like and base your watch for you on that.

I kinda dig the Tank ideas. Esp the Francaise.
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 03:15 AM   #10
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Get a Birkin bag.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 04:09 AM   #11
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
For our 10yr, I got my wife and I Tudors and had the casebacks engraved. She got a BB31, silver dial, and I got myself a BB58 in blue. She wasn't into watches, and doesn't really care much for jewelry. Her Apple watch was about the only thing she wore.

The Tudor sparked her interest, though, and she's now a watch nerd. Not quite WIS status, but close.

So...you know your wife, you know if this will bomb or be a good idea. If you feel this is a solid move, go with what she'd like and base your watch for you on that.

I kinda dig the Tank ideas. Esp the Francaise.
Thanks, Dustin!
Old 9 January 2024, 04:11 AM   #12
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
It's possible your wife may appreciate a long-ish trip away, just the two of you, instead of a "thing." In my opinion, experiences are more worthwhile than things, especially if she isn't super excited about that thing in the first place. My wife wears a SARB033. I asked if she'd want a DJ36. She said "nah, but maybe another trip this year."

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 04:37 AM   #13
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
It's possible your wife may appreciate a long-ish trip away, just the two of you, instead of a "thing." In my opinion, experiences are more worthwhile than things, especially if she isn't super excited about that thing in the first place. My wife wears a SARB033. I asked if she'd want a DJ36. She said "nah, but maybe another trip this year."
We ARE going for a trip also, but wanted something reminding of our wedding she will have on her for a long time
Old 9 January 2024, 05:23 AM   #14
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Take her to the jewelry store / AD. Which display case does she gravitate toward. If it's not the watches, consider something else.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 05:46 AM   #15
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
These would be my suggestion... Congratulations!

Hers 31mm and His 40mm

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 06:19 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Cartier, very classic and if you have kids they'll still be 'in fashion'. Also, get various color leather straps SHE loves. My wife and i share a Tank XL and she enjoys choosing straps that complement her outfit

jmho

Cartier_Wrist_Shot_purple_band.jpg

wristscan_7139966 (1).jpg

Family_H_Bday.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 11:09 AM   #17
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Matching DJ’s. Yours a 41mm and hers a 31mm.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 01:48 PM   #18
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Matching DJs or DayDates
Old 9 January 2024, 02:55 PM   #19
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Early congratulations on your 15th anniversary.

As your wife isn’t really into watches, I wouldn’t get her one.

I’d suggest either:
a) she choose something she wants, and buy you a watch of your choosing, engraved with a personal message from her;
b) his-and-hers Eames lounge chair and ottoman, so you can kick back together and watch YouTube watch reviews on the big screen;
c) surprise her with an experience or two. This could be organised as a kind of scavenger hunt, where there are activities along the way, each something relevant to her or you as a couple, referring to your past… cafes you used to go to, activities done together, etc. The final location could be something like dinner at her favourite restaurant. Nothing earth-shatteringly original, but if rolled-out surprisingly and in a fun way, it could be good? Just, not something she’s not into.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 09:49 PM   #20
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
Take her to the jewelry store / AD. Which display case does she gravitate toward. If it's not the watches, consider something else.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
These would be my suggestion... Congratulations!

Hers 31mm and His 40mm
Very nice. Thank you for your comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Cartier, very classic and if you have kids they'll still be 'in fashion'. Also, get various color leather straps SHE loves. My wife and i share a Tank XL and she enjoys choosing straps that complement her outfit

jmho

Attachment 1412055

Attachment 1412056

Attachment 1412057
Indeed classic and that's why it's in a short list. Thanks for a feedback. Quick question, how does your wife switch straps - is there any quick switch system in Tank (similar to that for Santos)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
Matching DJ’s. Yours a 41mm and hers a 31mm.
Very nice watches. However, I will likely pass on them as those are not obtainable and probably outside of my budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
Matching DJs or DayDates
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
Early congratulations on your 15th anniversary.

As your wife isn’t really into watches, I wouldn’t get her one.

I’d suggest either:
a) she choose something she wants, and buy you a watch of your choosing, engraved with a personal message from her;
b) his-and-hers Eames lounge chair and ottoman, so you can kick back together and watch YouTube watch reviews on the big screen;
c) surprise her with an experience or two. This could be organised as a kind of scavenger hunt, where there are activities along the way, each something relevant to her or you as a couple, referring to your past… cafes you used to go to, activities done together, etc. The final location could be something like dinner at her favourite restaurant. Nothing earth-shatteringly original, but if rolled-out surprisingly and in a fun way, it could be good? Just, not something she’s not into.
Thank you for your time and very interesting suggestions - I will consider
Old 12 January 2024, 02:49 PM   #21
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
If she wants a his and hers watch, my vote is for Cartier. It is classy and elegant.

My husband got me my Rolex on the Valentine’s Day before our 10th.

For our 20th, we joined a local luxury resort as spa members…able to use the gym, pool, tennis court, etc. it’s the gift that keeps giving, as we go to the luxury hotel at least once a week, having a mini vacation all of the time. Many luxury hotels have some sort of membership. Or, see what experiences you enjoy, e.g. join a Napa wine club and then go on a trip for your anniversary, etc. So many things have memberships.

Otherwise, agreed with others about perhaps taking a very special trip you wouldn’t have otherwise.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 06:21 AM   #22
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: 26
Congrats on 15 years!!

I agree on the idea of a shared experience like travel. But if it's a watch, I like the Cartier option.

Alternatively, Omega makes Constellations in reasonably matching his & hers variants, including quartz. Mrs Yoda has a steel/RG Constellation in quartz as she prefers the no-hassle of quartz.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 06:37 AM   #23
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
His and Her watch sest suggestion

We got his and her Datejusts for our 30th but they don’t look a like. My wife is a bit more adventurous when it comes to watches. But Cartier Tank isn’t a bad choice.

DJ41

DJ31

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2024, 04:55 AM   #24
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
If she wants a his and hers watch, my vote is for Cartier. It is classy and elegant.

My husband got me my Rolex on the Valentine’s Day before our 10th.

For our 20th, we joined a local luxury resort as spa members…able to use the gym, pool, tennis court, etc. it’s the gift that keeps giving, as we go to the luxury hotel at least once a week, having a mini vacation all of the time. Many luxury hotels have some sort of membership. Or, see what experiences you enjoy, e.g. join a Napa wine club and then go on a trip for your anniversary, etc. So many things have memberships.

Otherwise, agreed with others about perhaps taking a very special trip you wouldn’t have otherwise.
Thanks!
Old 16 January 2024, 04:55 AM   #25
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
Congrats on 15 years!!

I agree on the idea of a shared experience like travel. But if it's a watch, I like the Cartier option.

Alternatively, Omega makes Constellations in reasonably matching his & hers variants, including quartz. Mrs Yoda has a steel/RG Constellation in quartz as she prefers the no-hassle of quartz.
Thank you! Have my eye on Constellation
Old 16 January 2024, 04:56 AM   #26
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
We got his and her Datejusts for our 30th but they don’t look a like. My wife is a bit more adventurous when it comes to watches. But Cartier Tank isn’t a bad choice.

DJ41

DJ31

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!