The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 January 2024, 05:42 AM   #31
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, only 'some'... we're doing far better than i felt!

Know the past few years have SERIOUSLY given the mechanical timepiece industry quite the increase. Wow, good to be with some, felt like virtually none back in 1997.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 05:52 AM   #32
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts. I think his comments were well intentioned because as many have pointed out it’s just a lot of money. He said he doesn’t mind the cars and houses etc but to him it’s this chunk of unproductive money just sitting there with 3% annual burn on insurance. And to separate from the question above about how do watches differ from any other non-investment, the answer is that the watch purchase can be “undone” by selling it whereas you can’t undrink a bottle of wine or untake a vacation. None of this is not obvious however and I have no plans to sell anything, but TBH it does make me stop and think.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 06:57 AM   #33
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
I appreciate everyone’s thoughts. I think his comments were well intentioned because as many have pointed out it’s just a lot of money. He said he doesn’t mind the cars and houses etc but to him it’s this chunk of unproductive money just sitting there with 3% annual burn on insurance. And to separate from the question above about how do watches differ from any other non-investment, the answer is that the watch purchase can be “undone” by selling it whereas you can’t undrink a bottle of wine or untake a vacation. None of this is not obvious however and I have no plans to sell anything, but TBH it does make me stop and think.
Well put.
Only a fool wouldn't stop to re-evaluate and keep perspective.
The only hitch is getting the $s we need when it comes to liquidating. Personally I think I have roughly broken even but it's been a wonderful journey that I have been able to savour and continues on until I die.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 07:13 AM   #34
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
He said he doesn’t mind the cars and houses etc
What a generous person! Lets you spend your own money on what makes you feel happy? What the heck is that moron?

FIRE HIM NOW!
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 02:20 AM   #35
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Hmmm, our financial advisor doesn't care one iota how many watches, homes or cars I own or how many vacations we take. My wife and I established our priorities and the approximate financial goals we aspired to. We refined those with his guidance, he has developed a strategy for us to attain those goals and we funded the accounts to work towards those goals.
It's on me and my wife to ensure we are remaining true to our strategy. It's on him to guide us and manage our accounts to perform as well as possible given our risk profile and investment goals.
Our goals are not going to be derailed because I spend $20 or $30k on a watch or have an additional $200k tied up in watches instead of under his management. I'm also not interested in amassing a fortune for when we die. I guess we're blessed and fortunate to be able to have a comfortable life even as we fund the future.
As long as we're progressing towards our goals, thinning a collection or otherwise cutting back on our lifestyle or depriving myself of things that bring me joy isn't in the cards just to add more to the accounts. Now, if things went south and our goals were in jeopardy, again here it is on my wife and I to take the necessary action whether that be adjust the goals, adjust spending, divest something, whatever.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote