The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 September 2020, 12:43 AM   #1
Angi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
Bumble Bee power reserve

So I’m just curious... I picked up this watch about 3 months ago from a local estate jeweller. It’s in pretty good condition, no major scuffs or signs of wear. Usually I keep it on a winder, but a few days ago I just left it on my desk because I knew I would wear it the next day. Then the next day I realized the time was already off. As if I put the watch down around 6pm and it stopped running by 11pm or so. I’m going to try again tonight to see. But I’m just wondering if this is a common sign of wear? And it’s just in need of a service? Or should I be going back to the place I got it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 01:52 AM   #2
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angi View Post
So I’m just curious... I picked up this watch about 3 months ago from a local estate jeweller. It’s in pretty good condition, no major scuffs or signs of wear. Usually I keep it on a winder, but a few days ago I just left it on my desk because I knew I would wear it the next day. Then the next day I realized the time was already off. As if I put the watch down around 6pm and it stopped running by 11pm or so. I’m going to try again tonight to see. But I’m just wondering if this is a common sign of wear? And it’s just in need of a service? Or should I be going back to the place I got it?

Try manually winding the watch to its maximum power reserve (you can't overwind it since it has an overwinding protection).

Then put it down and see how long it takes to power down. Keep the chronograph off, a running chrono it will shorten the power reserve.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 09:51 AM   #3
Angi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
Quote:
Originally Posted by karasus View Post
Try manually winding the watch to its maximum power reserve (you can't overwind it since it has an overwinding protection).

Then put it down and see how long it takes to power down. Keep the chronograph off, a running chrono it will shorten the power reserve.

Wow it lasted a total of 23 minutes

Angi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 11:56 AM   #4
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Hard to say on an "old" watch, as there could be any number of issues, but send it to APSC & they'll take care of it for you.

I bought a NOS 44 that had essentially zero power reserve. When sent in, APSC determined the oils had dried prematurely; it's been flawless ever since.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 03:26 PM   #5
Sulituan
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing! Being outside of warranty, how much did they charge you for this? Ballpark range is fine..
Sulituan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 03:42 AM   #6
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Hi there, I have a first generation Bumble-bee and I don't have any issues with the power reserve. I think it needs a service.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 04:49 AM   #7
Sleepy996
"TRF" Member

I just sent my AP ROC in to the AP Clearwater service center for a service and it's $1,500 for the movement service. If they find something abnormal that needs to be addressed it goes up from there. The bumblebee is pretty special and worth the investment especially since values have really gone up on them in the last year. The service also comes with a 2yr warranty. Goodluck
Old 25 September 2020, 11:34 AM   #8
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulituan View Post
Thanks for sharing! Being outside of warranty, how much did they charge you for this? Ballpark range is fine..
If you're referring to my service, it was still under warranty, so no charge.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote