The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 29 July 2016, 06:55 AM   #1
marcusjcw21
Banned

Watch: Rolex 2 tone 1005
Franken 5513 with 1530 movement...

As far as I know, the 5513 never had the 1530 movement in it. The listing states that the dial has been re-luminous (sic) so "re-lumed" is my translation.

The price seems awfully low for it to only be missing the bezel and insert if everything else were in order.

Here is the link: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...mtid=824&kw=lg

Reported!
marcusjcw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 07:01 AM   #2
Swiss_Time_Watches
2024 Pledge Member

5513 did use 1530 movement so what exactly are you reporting?
Swiss_Time_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 07:06 AM   #3
marcusjcw21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetano_alfano View Post
5513 did use 1530 movement so what exactly are you reporting?
It was my understanding that it only used the 1520 movement. It's my understanding that the 1530 was COSC certified and was used in the 5512 along with the 1560.

Are you saying that there were some 5513s that used the 1530 but weren't COSC certified? As far as I know, none of the 5513s were ever COSC certified.

If I made an error, then my apologies. I would like further opinions. When I'm wrong, I will learn from it. Sorry if I made a mistake.
Old 29 July 2016, 07:11 AM   #4
Swiss_Time_Watches
2024 Pledge Member

It's all very well to keep saying you've made a mistake and apologising, however this is a public forum and you are tarnishing the reputation of respectible sellers. Whilst I'm not commenting on this particular watch or seller, you've now reported this watch to eBay on what basis?
Old 29 July 2016, 07:18 AM   #5
marcusjcw21
Banned

This article: http://www.fratellowatches.com/rolex...hould-you-get/ states that the 1530 was no longer used in the 5513 after 1963/1964. The serial number on the case according to oysterworld.de indicates that the watch was produced in 1968. This is about 4 to 5 years after the 1530 had stopped being used in the 5513s according to that article. A lot of differing opinions/information out there.

Do you vouch that the movement in that watch is the original movement for a 1968 5513?
Old 29 July 2016, 07:23 AM   #6
mapalfa
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
OP, all you seem to be posting is accusations about as many watches as you can find that you think may just be dodgy. That includes claiming that one watch was a fake because the dial had been changed - quite ironic given your avatar!
mapalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 07:54 AM   #7
Swiss_Time_Watches
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusjcw21 View Post
This article: http://www.fratellowatches.com/rolex...hould-you-get/ states that the 1530 was no longer used in the 5513 after 1963/1964. The serial number on the case according to oysterworld.de indicates that the watch was produced in 1968. This is about 4 to 5 years after the 1530 had stopped being used in the 5513s according to that article. A lot of differing opinions/information out there.

Do you vouch that the movement in that watch is the original movement for a 1968 5513?
It makes no difference. There is nothing wrong with the listing you reported and the seller is doing nothing wrong in listing this watch.
Old 29 July 2016, 08:03 AM   #8
marcusjcw21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetano_alfano View Post
It makes no difference. There is nothing wrong with the listing you reported and the seller is doing nothing wrong in listing this watch.
Except that if it has the wrong movement and a re-lumed dial, then Rolex may have a problem with it and may refuse to service it. It's not a big jump to wonder why a 5513 from 1968 has a 1530 movement and a refinished dial. Where did the case come from? We see lots of fake cases coming out of Singapore and Vietnam. I'm not saying this case is fake, but I am saying that this particular watch doesn't feel right. I am not above changing my opinion on something if supplied with rebuttal that makes sense and is verifiable and confirmed. I think there are questions about this watch. Maybe my questions are based in misconceptions, but I don't think so at this point. This is subject to change if I am convinced otherwise.

I might be saving someone from buying this watch and getting bad news from Rolex when the customer could be diverted to buying from a Trusted seller on rolexforums.com

I think building a Submariner from parts acquired from other watches is wrong. The movement serial won't match the case serial number. This could cause problems for the buyer down the road during service or when he/she attempts to sell the watch... or maybe it will cause problems for the next person who buys the watch. Again, if I'm wrong, correct me, and I will change my position. Nice talking with you.
Old 29 July 2016, 09:14 AM   #9
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Rolex definition of counterfeit, is not necessarily correct.
They refuse to service or indeed acknowledge a watch is Rolex even if it has an aftermarket dial or bezel.

Selling a modified watch is not a crime, especially if its stated and NO intent to deceive.
Rolex may not like it, but the market "may"

To me reporting "fakes" are Chinese/Korean/Swiss watches that are made to deceive and NO part ever saw the inside of an original manufacturer.

Just my opinion
Best
adam
Old 29 July 2016, 09:19 AM   #10
marcusjcw21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Rolex definition of counterfeit, is not necessarily correct.
They refuse to service or indeed acknowledge a watch is Rolex even if it has an aftermarket dial or bezel.

Selling a modified watch is not a crime, especially if its stated and NO intent to deceive.
Rolex may not like it, but the market "may"

To me reporting "fakes" are Chinese/Korean/Swiss watches that are made to deceive and NO part ever saw the inside of an original manufacturer.

Just my opinion
Best
adam
Okay... Understood... I guess I'm getting a feel of what is acceptable and not. So in your view, a correctly described watch that may have say an after market bezel insert (for instance) isn't worth reporting here. Or a watch with a genuine Rolex dial, but it is not period correct would be another example of something that is not worth reporting... as long as it was correctly described. Am I understanding finally?
Old 29 July 2016, 09:22 AM   #11
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay... Understood... I guess I'm getting a feel of what is acceptable and not. So in your view, a correctly described watch that may have say an after market bezel insert (for instance) isn't worth reporting here. Or a watch with a genuine Rolex dial, but it is not period correct would be another example of something that is not worth reporting... as long as it was correctly described. Am I understanding finally?
To me? Yes
Others may feel different

I personally only report pieces I can categorically list what makes it fake i.e to deceive.
There was a recent post here by crowncollection, where he stated case was fake - I could not see it, so I never reported that piece

But that is just me
Old 29 July 2016, 09:26 AM   #12
marcusjcw21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
To me? Yes
Others may feel different

I personally only report pieces I can categorically list what makes it fake i.e to deceive.
There was a recent post here by crowncollection, where he stated case was fake - I could not see it, so I never reported that piece

But that is just me
Okay cool. Thanks for helping clarify your criteria. I definitely respect your point of view.
Old 29 July 2016, 09:27 AM   #13
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay cool. Thanks for helping clarify your criteria. I definitely respect your point of view.
Thanks to you too
Regards
adam
Old 29 July 2016, 09:39 AM   #14
drifter01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Air-King
Quote:
It was my understanding that it only used the 1520 movement. It's my understanding that the 1530 was COSC certified and was used in the 5512 along with the 1560.

Are you saying that there were some 5513s that used the 1530 but weren't COSC certified? As far as I know, none of the 5513s were ever COSC certified.

If I made an error, then my apologies. I would like further opinions. When I'm wrong, I will learn from it. Sorry if I made a mistake.
Not all 1530s were COSC movements. I have a 5500 Air King with a 1530 that isn't COSC.

Dave
Ace of Clubs
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." - Hunter S. Thompson
drifter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 09:43 AM   #15
marcusjcw21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter01 View Post
Not all 1530s were COSC movements. I have a 5500 Air King with a 1530 that isn't COSC.
Cool. Good to know. Thank you for clarifying.
Old 29 July 2016, 10:44 AM   #16
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Cool. Good to know. Thank you for clarifying.
You might want to slow down a bit, take a step back, and really think about if everything you are posting in this section is really worth posting.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 01:39 PM   #17
marcusjcw21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
You might want to slow down a bit, take a step back, and really think about if everything you are posting in this section is really worth posting.
Thanks for the advice. I had a similar thought earlier and will be slowing down. Thanks again for this advice and other comments you've had for me.