The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2018, 02:31 PM   #1
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

What would you do with a WG Pepsi if it were discontinued?

Putting a different spin on the blro discontinuation threads here.
Let's say you own a WG Pepsi and Rolex does discontinue it come Basel 2018. What would you do with your BLRO?

Would you automatically stash it in the safe waiting for the value to increase?
Continue wearing it as usual?
Wear it less frequently?

My concern is that there is going to be one part that is going to be a problem to replace if it discontinued- the bicolor (blue/red, purple/cranberry) ceramic bezel, just like the original GMT with the bakelite bezel.

Here's an interesting quote from Rolex in the WatchTime.com review of the WG Pepsi:
"Here is some text from the official Rolex press release that we hope will help you to fully understand how difficult the process of creating a two-tone Cerachrom bezel is:
The name “Cerachrom” derives from a contraction of the word “ceramic” juxtaposed with the suffix “chrom” from the ancient Greek word for “colour”. The range of available shades for ceramic is however restricted by its very manufacturing process. Colours are generally created by adding mineral pigments that can withstand the very high temperatures at which the ceramic is fired for its densification and to acquire its characteristic hardness. Red, typically, is a colour for which no stable mineral pigments exist to create a Cerachrom component. Rolex nevertheless managed to produce a red ceramic. But this innovation represented only half the journey.
Rolex’s in-house engineers finally found an answer to the second half of the challenge. The ingenious process consists of introducing an intermediate step in the manufacture of the standard Cerachrom insert. During this innovative bulk-colouring step, half of the red ceramic insert is coloured blue. The colour is achieved by impregnating the part of the insert representing night-time hours, between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., with a controlled quantity of a solution of chemical compounds. The solution is added before sintering at more than 1,600 °C, when the ceramic acquires its mechanical resistance properties as well as its colour. In the course of this firing, the ceramic densifies and the added compounds react with the basic elements of the red Cerachrom insert to conjure up the final blue colour.

Although the idea in itself may appear simple, a number of major technical hurdles had to be overcome before it could be implemented: the formulation of a solution of precursor chemical compounds that would turn red into blue; the homogenous application of an appropriate quantity of this solution; ensuring a sharp, precise and clear demarcation between the two coloured areas, the definition of the precise length of time and temperature for the sintering so as to prevent any distortion of the piece. Every single one of these parameters is crucial for the success of the process and the quality of the final product."

From what I've found here:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=461672
If you happen to have a GMT with the original bakelite bezel and break it- Rolex will replace the bezel, but don't expect them to replace it with a bakelite bezel. Wanna buy an original bakelite bezel on the secondary market? That will set you back $25,000 to $30,000. For the bezel alone.

I remember it cost something like $1,500 to replace the ceramic BLRO bezel from various members here and there have been people here saying making this bezel is a pain with high failure rates. If they discontinue the blro, I wonder how Rolex will support the BLRO and how much would it cost to replace a ceramic blue/red bezel.

Now I've been daily wearing the WG Pepsi for the past 2yrs. I love the damn thing and bought it NOT to be a safe queen. However, if this gets discontinued, this will be relegated to a dress watch/safe queen status and I might have to pick up something else- don't have anything nice to wear other than the BLRO and I am not making the Apple Watch the daily driver.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Consider your model discontinued.

Rolex will have no problem replacing the bezel in the future.

You have been wearing it for two years so it seems a little late for it to be a safe queen.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 04:04 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would keep wearing it. Same as I did with my 116600 when it was discontinued. Same as Eddie probably does with the case load of discontinued Rolex in his signature
Old 13 February 2018, 04:11 PM   #4
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
Depends on what Rolex replaces it with. If they introduces a new WG Pepsi or Coke with the 32xx movement, then I bet current WG pepsi owners will be trading in old for new.
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 04:16 PM   #5
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
WG Coke
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 04:22 PM   #6
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I would keep wearing it. Same as I did with my 116600 when it was discontinued. Same as Eddie probably does with the case load of discontinued Rolex in his signature
True.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 04:25 PM   #7
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

If you like it I would keep wearing it and enjoy it. I think Rolex will support parts for another 25 years, give or take.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 04:31 PM   #8
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
What would you do with a WG Pepsi if it were discontinued?

I'd wear it
Old 13 February 2018, 04:32 PM   #9
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
I would continue wearing it just as I had been.
Rolex make their watches to be worn everyday for multiple lifetimes.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 05:10 PM   #10
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
I'm not taking mine off but I would be tempted to go WG Daytona daily and give less wrist time to the BLRO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 05:26 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

id wear it even if the value was going to skyrocket. I dont think it will. All of that assumes people won't gravitate to the next release which they will. Its all about the latest and greatest.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 05:36 PM   #12
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
my favorite GMT is TT .. I saw one 116713 a while back .. the owner took the green dial and gold 24hr hand out of his 116718 and put it in his 116173 and put the black dial and green 24hr hand in his 116718 .. the green dial 116713 was for sale .... I almost bought it but the AD talked me out of it with the typlical blah blah about it being altered, and it's no longer considered real and people in the Rolex community would see it and laugh behind my back .. and Rolex won't ever touch it if it needs service .. and he had a brand new black dial 116713 for sale that looks much better and comes with a Rolex 5 year warranty, and that it would make me happier in the long run .... I didn't get the green dial or the black dial .. i looked at the BLRO, and didn't buy that either .. the WG GMT didn't do it for me .. But if I had one, I'd rock it regularly
Old 13 February 2018, 06:20 PM   #13
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
What's the fun keeping a watch in the safe, just wear it
Old 13 February 2018, 06:38 PM   #14
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
The BLRO is my grail watch. If it were discontinued I'd first go cry.
If I was an owner, I wouldn't care one bit and continue to enjoy the ever loving crap out of it on a daily basis. Life is too short and no matter what treatment in day to day life I put that watch through, it will outlive me and you.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:46 PM   #15
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Wear, and enjoy, it.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:50 PM   #16
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

No doubt about it if you’re lucky enough to own one, just keep wearing it.

Rolex will be able to support it for many years to come, I have no doubt, and I also imagine, since that article was written about its manufacture, the process itself has probably been improved and simplified since it’s inception....3D printed ceramics in colour are now available which were not at the time of its release.

Some will flip if a newer model is released, some won’t. I think the BLRO is set to become a collectors grail to some extent for lots of reasons, despite the polarising opinion of the colour in the bezel being branded as ‘off’ by some (Myself included).

Also, for many who bought this watch new, disposable income on another variant if it’s released isn’t likely an issue, whilst the rest of us mere mortals can only salivate at the pics that are bound to follow of a BLRO pictured with its replacement in someone’s lovely collection.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:53 PM   #17
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Wear and enjoy it what else would one do who owns any Rolex.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:03 PM   #18
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I would wear it in my normal rotation or however I used to wear it. I wouldn't do anything special because it's been discontinued.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Old 13 February 2018, 09:06 PM   #19
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Ummmm......Wear it?

Two of my three Rolex watches are now discontinued, and I certainly do not treat those models any differently.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:07 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

replacement would be my only worry since the watch is irreplaceable if it gets stolen unless you get a used one. I would be more careful in that sense, probably leave it in the safe when not wearing it and leaving the house etc. Still would not affect my day to day wearing habits though. Just a bit more mindful.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:25 PM   #21
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Interesting replies. I thought a few would wear it less to protect it a bit more.

I’d still wear it but was thinking about getting something else to share wrist time and preserve it a bit.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:26 PM   #22
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Wear it.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:30 PM   #23
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
I bought mine to wear it.

It was my daily wearer and now it's worn in (weekly-ish??) rotation with my Smurf.

If it's discontinued I'll still wear it, I don't see why anyone wouldn't to be honest?

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 10:04 PM   #24
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I buy watches to wear so I would wear it
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 10:26 PM   #25
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
What are the odds that a cerachrome bezel breaks? 1/10,000?

Live life!
Old 13 February 2018, 10:35 PM   #26
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Cars , mobiles , watches , clothes , electronic items ... Anything you own one day will be discontinued or be updated. Law of universe : Nothing is permanent :)

Just enjoy wearing or using what you like and move on if the updated version attracts you.
Old 13 February 2018, 11:21 PM   #27
rolexryan329
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
It’s not like rolex made a limited amount of these so the notion that discontinuing it makes it worth more is not reliable. These pieces stuck around in ADs and probably still are as the average customer doesn’t spend 25k on a whim. I’m sure they’ll all get scooped up with the apparent discontinuing of the model but at the end of the day, PM pieces are hard to flip and I wouldn’t be surprised if these sit around in the gray market too
rolexryan329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 11:46 PM   #28
playmore009
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc, LVc
I want it but it would eat up all of my funds for watches. If I have it, I would be wearing it as I purchase to watches for the enjoyment aspect of owning and wearing the watch.

playmore009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 11:58 PM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd probably keep it, altho would depend on the replacement if there is one.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 12:38 AM   #30
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexryan329 View Post
It’s not like rolex made a limited amount of these so the notion that discontinuing it makes it worth more is not reliable. These pieces stuck around in ADs and probably still are as the average customer doesn’t spend 25k on a whim. I’m sure they’ll all get scooped up with the apparent discontinuing of the model but at the end of the day, PM pieces are hard to flip and I wouldn’t be surprised if these sit around in the gray market too
You are correct. I have been looking at them for the past month trying to decide if I want to add one to the collection. I went to 3 AD's, all had at least 1 in stock and offered discounts on the piece. I also checked the secondary market, and there are a lot of them for sale in the low to mid $20k range. Chrono24 lists 78 of them for sale alone. I don't think there will be a shortage of them anytime soon.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote