The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 January 2020, 09:41 PM   #1
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

5524R and 5396G-014 history&production numbers?

Hi!
I am digging deep and studying all the information I can get from these two amazing Patek-watches-
5524R (rosegold travel time Calatrava) and 5396G-014 (wg Complications, 20th ann. Annual calendar dial).
Does anyone know/guess the production number of these watches?
Obviously the history behind the 5396G-014 is deep and rich: Patek invented the annual calendar! This watch itself feels to me as a declaration of beauty of this magical movement. The arabic numerals in the dial is a very nice touch. As I understood: the use of these numerals in this way is reserved for a special watches in the Patek line.
But what about the 5524R? Where is the history? Is it to be concidered as a new model without any proper history behind in the Patek line? The size of this watch is big.. too big?
The 5396G-014 is quite small, but is true to its origins. It seems to wear bigger though.
Not there yet, but I’ve been studying Patek a lot lately...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 11:04 PM   #2
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
Love the 5396-14. I believe the numbers are called Breguet and you are right that historically they were for special models. Patek and Tiffany did a cool 10 year anniversary 5396. I find the 5396-14 preferable. Market disagrees as watch sells used below msrp. But mine is my wife’s favorite watch I own and probably a lifer. All the variants of 5396 work for me. Try one on. I hope you love it like I do.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:46 AM   #3
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaic View Post
Love the 5396-14. I believe the numbers are called Breguet and you are right that historically they were for special models. Patek and Tiffany did a cool 10 year anniversary 5396. I find the 5396-14 preferable. Market disagrees as watch sells used below msrp. But mine is my wife’s favorite watch I own and probably a lifer. All the variants of 5396 work for me. Try one on. I hope you love it like I do.

Thanks for your input! Breguet-numbers; that’s the term! Yeah, that Patek&Tiffany model is cool!
Could you share some photos of your 5396-14 please?

Old 15 January 2020, 12:52 AM   #4
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

...and yes: this 5396-14 watch is not the most wanted Patek. Same goes with the 5524R. Too much value-based (€$) discussion nowadays IMO... I’ve fallen too many times into this trap ”Everyone wants this watch... this is truly an investment piece... I’ve gotta have this...” FOM.

Old 15 January 2020, 01:17 AM   #5
TTAlex
"TRF" Member

I've had both (had the 5396r-012) and they are VASTLY different sizes. I ended up moving on from the 5396r due to size, although I have periodically looked at the market for getting it back. The pilot wears much bigger than the 5396, although the latter is more beautiful in my opinion.
TTAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:17 AM   #6
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
You can make an estimate by taking the number of years in production and multiply by the total number of AD (418 as of today). Assumption is 1 AD receives only 1 of each model (total approx 170 models).
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:20 AM   #7
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTAlex View Post
I've had both (had the 5396r-012) and they are VASTLY different sizes. I ended up moving on from the 5396r due to size, although I have periodically looked at the market for getting it back. The pilot wears much bigger than the 5396, although the latter is more beautiful in my opinion.

Yeah: Totally different watches in many ways.

Old 15 January 2020, 01:20 AM   #8
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
You can make an estimate by taking the number of years in production and multiply by the total number of AD (418 as of today). Assumption is 1 AD receives only 1 of each model (total approx 170 models).

Thanks for this!

Old 15 January 2020, 01:23 AM   #9
Custom02
"TRF" Member

Although the secondary market doesn't love the 5396 in any incarnation I think it's a great watch containing so much Patek DNA. Look how similar it is to the 3448, an established classic which sells for well into 6 figures.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...-a-3450-yellow

I just they'd kept the date hand as the 3448 had and do away with the slightly pointless 24 hour hand.
Custom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:25 AM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
Thanks for this!

Good wishes with your choice!
The 5396 wears slightly larger because of its "straight" lugs relative to its size. However, I think it will wear smaller than the 5524. I have not worn them side by side so can't comment much. I know of an AD who still has that 5396 in the exact spec. If you want more information you can PM me.
Old 15 January 2020, 01:30 AM   #11
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom02 View Post
Although the secondary market doesn't love the 5396 in any incarnation I think it's a great watch containing so much Patek DNA. Look how similar it is to the 3448, an established classic which sells for well into 6 figures.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...-a-3450-yellow

I just they'd kept the date hand as the 3448 had and do away with the slightly pointless 24 hour hand.

Thanks for this!
This is also interesting article (Patek&Tiffany -version):

John Mayer On Watches: Why I Bought The Patek Philippe 5396G Limited Edition For Tiffany & Co. https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/fm...tcxz0b8ylio7hq

Old 15 January 2020, 01:33 AM   #12
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good wishes with your choice!
The 5396 wears slightly larger because of its "straight" lugs relative to its size. However, I think it will wears smaller than the 5524. I have not worn them side by side so can't comment much. I know of an AD who still has that 5396 in the exact spec. If you want more information you can PM me.

Thank you! The 5524 is a Monster compared to any other Patek... Maby too shiny also?

Old 15 January 2020, 01:36 AM   #13
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If the 5396 in question was in production for 3 years, maby approx. 1200 pieces were made.

Old 15 January 2020, 01:37 AM   #14
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
Thank you! The 5524 is a Monster compared to any other Patek... Maby too shiny also?

The 5524G is matte if that suits you better? Both 5396 and 5524 are beautiful in my view. I have also researched on the 5396 before I purchased the 5205, and one of the key reasons I did not get the 5396 was because I'm waiting for my 5726 blue which has the same dial layout.
Old 15 January 2020, 02:26 AM   #15
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP

5524R is the Patek watch for “me” to own.
I had own AC’s : 5146P , 5146G , 5960P, 5205R. I think the only AC I skipped was the 5396. I prefer the 5396 with baton indexes, white gold, white dial to the one you pictured above. That baton indexes one is a classic , discontinued now unfortunately.
I see AC’s with a different perspective that when I got my first one , then I saw it like a good way to get into patek with complications because that’s what patek is all about, right ? plus is not like you are buying a PCC , in other words accessible.
AC’s represent to me what I call “an in between piece” ; A very smart invention from patek that worked great until this sport watches craziness came about.

My pilot is the watch that I can read the best of all my watches , a pleasure to wear and is so different that is cool. And very important never bores me, and that’s important when you are trying to keep a watch for a long time.

Both watches are not doing great in the market , maybe the 5524R a little better but if you are already considering pieces that don’t have demand anyways then pick the one that would put a smile in your face.

Other factor, is to consider what you currently own. If you have a colored gold piece or not in your collection is definitely a factor to consider.

Then you have your lifestyle, is any of your daily interactions/routines will impact you wearing the watch or not ? Because like they say if you don’t wear it sell it .

People will give their opinions but at the end if I were you I would just cut my losses from the get go (because with either watch you will) and pick the one you can wear the most and of course the one you will enjoy the most.

Cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 04:32 AM   #16
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 5524G is matte if that suits you better? Both 5396 and 5524 are beautiful in my view. I have also researched on the 5396 before I purchased the 5205, and one of the key reasons I did not get the 5396 was because I'm waiting for my 5726 blue which has the same dial layout.

I think that of the 5524’s I would love to have the rg version. Just signs to me more, but the 5396 signs even more... Both would be the best!!!
Please share some photos of your 5205!

Old 15 January 2020, 04:36 AM   #17
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post

5524R is the Patek watch for “me” to own.
I had own AC’s : 5146P , 5146G , 5960P, 5205R. I think the only AC I skipped was the 5396. I prefer the 5396 with baton indexes, white gold, white dial to the one you pictured above. That baton indexes one is a classic , discontinued now unfortunately.
I see AC’s with a different perspective that when I got my first one , then I saw it like a good way to get into patek with complications because that’s what patek is all about, right ? plus is not like you are buying a PCC , in other words accessible.
AC’s represent to me what I call “an in between piece” ; A very smart invention from patek that worked great until this sport watches craziness came about.

My pilot is the watch that I can read the best of all my watches , a pleasure to wear and is so different that is cool. And very important never bores me, and that’s important when you are trying to keep a watch for a long time.

Both watches are not doing great in the market , maybe the 5524R a little better but if you are already considering pieces that don’t have demand anyways then pick the one that would put a smile in your face.

Other factor, is to consider what you currently own. If you have a colored gold piece or not in your collection is definitely a factor to consider.

Then you have your lifestyle, is any of your daily interactions/routines will impact you wearing the watch or not ? Because like they say if you don’t wear it sell it .

People will give their opinions but at the end if I were you I would just cut my losses from the get go (because with either watch you will) and pick the one you can wear the most and of course the one you will enjoy the most.

Cheers

Thanks for your input and the amazing pics!!! Stunning piece of Art!
Wise words; I am definetly trying to listen which watch truly sings to me, forgetting all these value&high demand -traps. The complications might be the key factor now, it would be my first Patek after all—hopefully for a long time.

Old 15 January 2020, 08:48 AM   #18
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I would recommend you to study 5170G instead of these watches :)
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 09:12 AM   #19
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:

Very useful.

The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 02:24 PM   #20
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskiserkan View Post
I would recommend you to study 5170G instead of these watches :)

Beautiful, but not my cup of tea!

Old 16 January 2020, 04:12 AM   #21
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

This is interesting design point in the 5396 20th Anniversary dials:
”Breguet numerals and dauphine hands, design elements found in many much loved vintage Patek Philippe watches, but rarely paired together. In fact, the new Annual Calendar ref. 5396 might be the first time Patek Philippe has combined the two.”
Now discontinued model, very unique combination.
This Tiffany dial variation (only 100 pieces) is also amazing. Sold for $112,500!!!
https://www.phillips.com/detail/pate...pe/NY080118/19