The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 June 2019, 01:35 AM   #1
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
Buyer with Zero post

Watch out for a buyer with zero, nada post. Especially those that just joined the forum to pm you.

Anyone here ever sold a watch to a new member with zero?

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Bebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 02:03 AM   #2
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
In the rare event that I would sell I would only accept selling to long time active TRF members.
Despite many differences in opinions we all agree on correct ethics
Old 30 June 2019, 02:07 AM   #3
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
In the rare event that I would sell I would only accept selling to long time active TRF members.
Despite many differences in opinions we all agree on correct ethics
This seems sensible. I would not sell to someone without some history.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Hanze
Banned

Watch: G-Shock Frogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln View Post
This seems sensible. I would not sell to someone without some history.
Money is money ? If the regular joe signed up for this website with 0 history and wanted to buy your watch would you decline his money based on this... ?
Hanze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 12:52 PM   #5
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanze View Post
Money is money ? If the regular joe signed up for this website with 0 history and wanted to buy your watch would you decline his money based on this... ?
Selling a high valued watch is as just much of a risk as you buying a watch from a seller you believe you trust. Unfortunate, as you’d think selling would never be as much of a problem. I only sell to trusted sellers here. I definitely take a hit, but at least my mind is at ease.

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 01:27 PM   #6
Hanze
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.president1 View Post
Selling a high valued watch is as just much of a risk as you buying a watch from a seller you believe you trust. Unfortunate, as you’d think selling would never be as much of a problem. I only sell to trusted sellers here. I definitely take a hit, but at least my mind is at ease.
I don’t disagree with anybodys way of operating, I’m just questioning if someone that is fairly new wants to buy your watch wires the money and everything is clear in the deal ex; refunds and what not, what would be the point of taking hit it’s very easy to tell who’s serious vs. a scammer or a tire kicker. As a hobbiest though I completely understand of being cautious I lost 13k because I used paypal without vetting the buyer, but straight wire transfers any buyer should be welcomed ( not ach wire transfers ) as scammers are using this to their advantage also now.
Old 30 June 2019, 02:09 AM   #7
vicsdca
Banned

I have. No problem, but I would not accept PayPal as a method of payment, only bank wire or cash (face to face).
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #8
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsdca View Post
I have. No problem, but I would not accept PayPal as a method of payment, only bank wire or cash (face to face).
I thought Paypal is a safe way to go?

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Old 30 June 2019, 05:56 AM   #9
Hanze
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebot View Post
I thought Paypal is a safe way to go?

The buyer can just create a claim and you can be out your money, this happened to me over eBay. I sold a Kermit and the buyer claimed I sent him a half empty water bottle. Thankfully I had all the proof that I sent him the watch so I won the first case with eBay, he then proceeded to open a case with PayPal and won. PayPal rarely sides with the seller and decisions are locked into place.
Old 30 June 2019, 08:45 AM   #10
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The buyer can just create a claim and you can be out your money, this happened to me over eBay. I sold a Kermit and the buyer claimed I sent him a half empty water bottle. Thankfully I had all the proof that I sent him the watch so I won the first case with eBay, he then proceeded to open a case with PayPal and won. PayPal rarely sides with the seller and decisions are locked into place.
Wow!

Thanks for the tip.

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Old 30 June 2019, 08:49 AM   #11
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
yes, this is the new scam. have to be very cautious when selling as once the watch leaves your possession you NEED TO KNOW your funds are secure. I would never accept PP for a watch sale from a less than stellar feedback member
Atone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 02:42 AM   #12
soring
"TRF" Member

Some scammers were trying to sell watch to me. And they are have zero to couple posts. Be careful.
soring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 05:53 AM   #13
Hanze
Banned

This becomes kind of a vicious circle for honest people, I’m new here but no one would take me seriously just because of this one fact, that I made an account this month. Even if I can prove 10x over that I’m just as reputable as someone that has been on the forum for years.
Old 30 June 2019, 08:47 AM   #14
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This becomes kind of a vicious circle for honest people, I’m new here but no one would take me seriously just because of this one fact, that I made an account this month. Even if I can prove 10x over that I’m just as reputable as someone that has been on the forum for years.
I hear you. It’s a tough situation. As a buyer and seller, you just want to protect your self. Better safe than sorry.

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Old 10 July 2019, 12:12 AM   #15
Drooling labs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Paypal can also be scammed easily as they only need to show that package delivered in your city and they then release funds. I had to jump through hoops to finally get something settled in my favor as I showed them finally UPS delivered to an office and not my address.
Drooling labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 11:24 AM   #16
Jsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, AP, DD,
The sad thing is that I was scammed even tho the person had post history and references. It was on another forum, but it’s so greedy out there it’s just not worth the risk. This market has attracted a lot of non-collectors who are in it for short term gain. I can’t wait until things correct themselves.
Old 11 July 2019, 11:32 AM   #17
Hanze
Banned

This is getting a little out of hand because I’m getting called a scammer by people with most likely a lot less integrity than me. I’m ex-military and being ridiculed because “my prices are a bit better than the other guy” by a punk behind a screen that just wants to waste my time infuriates me. Can’t even sell a watch anymore this is ridiculous. I’m new here and the TRF is great but man some characters on this place.