The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 November 2020, 08:12 AM   #451
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Every time I see this thread updated I think that there has been in fact, an update.

Instead, I'm deflated because it's guys posting about waiting for an update
Well.....yes and I feel the same way. So I sent my watch to a watch maker in South Australia. I was told by him there would be only two weeks to go until the watch was I presume ready? To be returned? For a photo update? I have no idea.

The annoying thing is South Australia just went into a six day stage 4 lock down. So there wont be an update for at least a further week.
Old 20 November 2020, 08:16 AM   #452
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
I'm enjoying it too, relax. I'm just cracking a joke. I thought the ... ... would help to insinuate that. Guess it fell flat for you.

Ahh, yes I guess I missed that!
Old 20 November 2020, 08:22 AM   #453
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Ahh, yes I guess I missed that!
All good!
Old 20 November 2020, 08:23 AM   #454
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
All good!

Back to the wait! this string is the most exciting part of my day!
Old 20 November 2020, 09:17 AM   #455
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Every time I see this thread updated I think that there has been in fact, an update.

Same here hahaha
Old 20 November 2020, 09:58 AM   #456
zapokee
"TRF" Member

16 pages now. Great thread. It's like Christmas Eve!
Old 21 November 2020, 03:55 AM   #457
lhendrickson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 ref. 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
16 pages now. Great thread. It's like Christmas Eve!
For you and me both man!
Old 23 November 2020, 10:50 PM   #458
Scaramanga74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by narembeen View Post
Well.....yes and I feel the same way. So I sent my watch to a watch maker in South Australia. I was told by him there would be only two weeks to go until the watch was I presume ready? To be returned? For a photo update? I have no idea.

The annoying thing is South Australia just went into a six day stage 4 lock down. So there wont be an update for at least a further week.
Time to give him a call now? As long as you don´t stress him he will perhaps let other jobs go first?
Old 23 November 2020, 11:06 PM   #459
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga74 View Post
Time to give him a call now? As long as you don´t stress him he will perhaps let other jobs go first?
I just found out today he was effectively closed the past two months due to this hand injury. I wasnt aware of this, otherwise I would have told you guys ages ago. Anyhow, he has back, open for business and working on the watch right now. He will probably spring it on me in the coming days, a random unexpected email with some photos attached.
Old 23 November 2020, 11:09 PM   #460
narembeen
Banned

For a bit of context, this is where the watch spent most of its working life and where it was found in pieces. The box etc were very well looked after inside of an old shoebox in the house and never really saw the light of day. My step father would post the watch to its service in the inner box.
Old 23 November 2020, 11:13 PM   #461
narembeen
Banned

The watch also spent a great deal of time in this, travelling all over the country. My step father was a pilot and he owned this plane from the mis 60's until the early 80's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wallys Plane.JPG (116.0 KB, 536 views)
Old 23 November 2020, 11:52 PM   #462
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
I just found out today he was effectively closed the past two months due to this hand injury. I wasnt aware of this, otherwise I would have told you guys ages ago. Anyhow, he has back, open for business and working on the watch right now. He will probably spring it on me in the coming days, a random unexpected email with some photos attached.

Love the photos for context. Send him a link to this thread...it may give him some added inspiration.
Old 24 November 2020, 04:25 AM   #463
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The watch also spent a great deal of time in this, travelling all over the country. My step father was a pilot and he owned this plane from the mis 60's until the early 80's.

Fabulous and much welcome context that adds so much to the DNA and life experiences of the watch! Thku for sharing.
Old 24 November 2020, 07:37 AM   #464
narembeen
Banned

There is certainly a lot of dna in that shed....ew
Old 24 November 2020, 09:08 AM   #465
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great photos!

I'm not sure I like your watchmaker's approach though. Who wouldn't tell customers that you're closed for two months, with today's ease of communication? Guess he's from "a different time."

Hope he ends up doing a good job after all this...
Old 24 November 2020, 09:12 AM   #466
VintageRX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great photos!

I'm not sure I like your watchmaker's approach though. Who wouldn't tell customers that you're closed for two months, with today's ease of communication? Guess he's from "a different time."

Hope he ends up doing a good job after all this...

That’s a valid point about his ethics. My watchmaker will give me a heads up before he goes on vacation, 1 month before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 November 2020, 09:22 AM   #467
narembeen
Banned

I know. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt as its been a long year. Covid impacted small businesses harder than any other, he had two staff who worked with him and he had to let them go. I agree, a heads up would have been nice rather than finding out via a facebook post, however hopefully we are on the home stretch now. At the end of the day, I gave him a mammoth task to perform in trying conditions.
Old 24 November 2020, 09:42 AM   #468
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree, a heads up would have been nice rather than finding out via a facebook post
The fact that he's on Facebook suggests that he's up to date with communications. Are you sure you trust this guy, with the hand injury story and the lack of communication? This thread has been going since April, and we're close to December now...
Old 24 November 2020, 09:49 AM   #469
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
The fact that he's on Facebook suggests that he's up to date with communications. Are you sure you trust this guy, with the hand injury story and the lack of communication? This thread has been going since April, and we're close to December now...
Yes I trust him 100%. He came highly recommended. The proof of course will be in the results, which I hope are not too far away.
Old 24 November 2020, 09:50 AM   #470
VintageRX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes I trust him 100%. He came highly recommended. The proof of course will be in the results, which I hope are not too far away.

Not sure if you stated it yet, but did you request for the watch to remain unpolished?

Old 24 November 2020, 10:18 AM   #471
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRX View Post
Not sure if you stated it yet, but did you request for the watch to remain unpolished?

I did. He wanted to laser weld the dents and the engraving off the case. It would have looked fantastic. Honestly, it was a reasonable request, however I want to this watch be restored back to the state which it was last taken off my step fathers wrist and set down. Nothing more. So I declined. I like all the cuts, scratches and dents. Its a part of the story.

Besides once I restored the case, where then would you stop? A new dial and handset, a correct bracelet etc.

It was never what I wanted with this watch. Just get it back to how it was in circa 1985 or whenever it was last running.
Old 24 November 2020, 10:36 AM   #472
VintageRX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did. He wanted to laser weld the dents and the engraving off the case. It would have looked fantastic. Honestly, it was a reasonable request, however I want to this watch be restored back to the state which it was last taken off my step fathers wrist and set down. Nothing more. So I declined. I like all the cuts, scratches and dents. Its a part of the story.

Besides once I restored the case, where then would you stop? A new dial and handset, a correct bracelet etc.

It was never what I wanted with this watch. Just get it back to how it was in circa 1985 or whenever it was last running.

That’s what I would’ve done!

And you’re right, once you start to replace on thing you look at the other things to replace. It happened with my 1691 DJ. I started with sourcing an original bracelet, then a new Rolex crystal, then a new dial, now I’m considering hands and even sending the case to Rolliworks for a complete overhaul.

You made the right choice

Old 24 November 2020, 04:45 PM   #473
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Love this thread!! But what’s hiding under that blue tarp?
Old 25 November 2020, 11:21 AM   #474
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
Love this thread!! But what’s hiding under that blue tarp?
The photos are from a few years ago. A lot of that stuff was cleared out, just junk my step father had bought over the years. Whatever it was it wasnt special :/
Old 25 November 2020, 11:28 AM   #475
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The photos are from a few years ago. A lot of that stuff was cleared out, just junk my step father had bought over the years. Whatever it was it wasnt special :/

We were all hoping there was a massive pile of 5513s under the tarp!
Old 25 November 2020, 03:47 PM   #476
1904 Submariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: MF 5513
Quote:
I did. He wanted to laser weld the dents and the engraving off the case.
Nooo! The case back engraving is the coolest thing about your watch!!
I’m glad you declined the offer.
Old 25 November 2020, 04:12 PM   #477
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1904 Submariner View Post
Nooo! The case back engraving is the coolest thing about your watch!!
I’m glad you declined the offer.

Scared me too; even that it was offered.
Old 25 November 2020, 04:50 PM   #478
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Scared me too; even that it was offered.
Yes I had to explain the history of the watch and all the corresponding papers and even the box with his hand writing with his name clearly visible. Anyhow, there was no danger there. If that had been wiped off I would be devastated, so Im glad I was asked.

Gosh, its been two weeks now since I was told the watch would be ready in 'two weeks'.
Old 25 November 2020, 09:10 PM   #479
3wheeler7
"TRF" Member

Hi, this must be the longest, most eagerly awaited "incoming" thread ever!

Interestingly, an old friend of mind purchased a 5513 brand new in about 1977, he's still wearing it to this day, it genuinely never leaves his wrist, except when the bracelet broke, the glass got smashed (x2) or it stopped. Not surprising as he was in the building trade and now HGV driving! Never been back to Rolex - always used a local independent and it's still keeps good time.
Next time I bump into him I'll ask if I can take a few pics, I expect it'll have a lot of replacement parts by now but I can't imagine the stories it could tell.

Regards
Tony.
Old 25 November 2020, 09:52 PM   #480
winst
"TRF" Member

I’ve loved keeping my eye on this thread. However, I’m starting to think this is becoming for all of us like waiting for a Christmas present you really want with all the anticipation and excitement. I just hope you do get it before Christmas!
Closed Thread