The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 April 2020, 09:44 PM   #61
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SKX009
Quote:
Originally Posted by narembeen View Post
Its ok I guess there are very different types of guys in here. I didnt even think about my hands when I took the pictures but I will clean up when I take better ones tomorrow cheers
You be You, Man. Too many Elitists around here. Nobody is better than anyone else, regardless of job or income. They can ban me, won't mean anything to my life. It's just a forum, not a Country Club.
Old 11 April 2020, 11:27 PM   #62
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwb65 View Post
You be You, Man. Too many Elitists around here. Nobody is better than anyone else, regardless of job or income. They can ban me, won't mean anything to my life. It's just a forum, not a Country Club.
Cheers mate. I posted some photos on watchuseek and first response was about my hands too. Its almost like these guys have never worked for a living.
Old 11 April 2020, 11:39 PM   #63
TimelessQuality
"TRF" Member

I would love to see this piece cleaned up and worn again.

I couldn't help but notice on the bottom of the guarantee card it says "use box for cigarettes", lol.
Old 12 April 2020, 12:51 AM   #64
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessQuality View Post
I would love to see this piece cleaned up and worn again.

I couldn't help but notice on the bottom of the guarantee card it says "use box for cigarettes", lol.
Yeah the good old days right? Luckily my step dad didnt smoke, so I still have the box and papers
Old 12 April 2020, 01:16 AM   #65
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Go pack sand. Some people work for a living, and he's looking for technical guidance not criticism. Dick.
Quote:
Okay. And giving a new member grief for having dirty, hardworking hands isn't a personal attack. That criticism had nothing to do with helping the OP with answers to his problem. Double standard much?
Quote:
I like this guy...…. The comment about the OP's hands was a personal attack, and Jeff's response was spot on. OP, source the parts, service it, with someone reputable and wear it. He left it to you for a reason.
Old 12 April 2020, 06:30 AM   #66
SailingLife
"TRF" Member

Once you get the case open to know what your working with you can have a shopping list. Just buy one piece at a time like restoring a muscle car. Even if it takes a couple years to assemble everything. Like they say labor of love in the end you’ll have something special
Old 12 April 2020, 10:52 AM   #67
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingLife View Post
Once you get the case open to know what your working with you can have a shopping list. Just buy one piece at a time like restoring a muscle car. Even if it takes a couple years to assemble everything. Like they say labor of love in the end you’ll have something special
I was actually thinking of doing it that way, but I wasnt sure. I checked ebay completed listings and certain parts go for different prices and there are some bargains. Might be a good way to go about it for sure.
Old 12 April 2020, 02:22 PM   #68
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1971 View Post
$6500 wow that was a strong bid considering the condition

Agreed. It ain’t worth more than $6500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2020, 02:25 PM   #69
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPrasad View Post
If you're interested, I got my Sub serviced at the official RSC in Sydney last year when I was living there. Nicole who runs the client service is a legend, nicest lady. Feel free to contact them and send some of those pictures over, they might be able to help.
--

Rolex
RSC SYDNEY
Customer Service
ROLEX Australia
Level 39, Tower Building, Australia Square
264 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000

Tel:+61 2 9251 8988
Direct:+61 2 9251 8988
customerservice@rwaust.com.au

Don’t send it to RSC! They’ll steal its soul with stupid replacement parts etc.

Old 12 April 2020, 03:11 PM   #70
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was actually thinking of doing it that way, but I wasnt sure. I checked ebay completed listings and certain parts go for different prices and there are some bargains. Might be a good way to go about it for sure.
The problem with eBay is that its a mine field for fakes and aftermarket parts, just make sure to do all the research and ask for help here before you buy anything. Like another poster said, take your time and save up and get it done in stages. Even if it takes 2-3 years to put it all togeher it will be worth it in the end.
Old 12 April 2020, 03:28 PM   #71
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Agreed. It ain’t worth more than $6500

That's $6500 aus so 4k usd
Old 12 April 2020, 03:43 PM   #72
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Forget eBay, Vintage Rolex Market is probably what you're looking for.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2020, 03:46 PM   #73
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's $6500 aus so 4k usd

Ah. Worth it definitely! And I love this watch. And I respected your hands. Reminded me of mine when I worked in the forest service clear cutting trees.

Old 12 April 2020, 05:04 PM   #74
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Ah. Worth it definitely! And I love this watch. And I respected your hands. Reminded me of mine when I worked in the forest service clear cutting trees.

Cheers mate yeah I cut a lot of dry wood in my spare time. These watches belong to people who worked for a living with their hands so its pretty funny now the second generation owners are complaining about my hands. It says a lot dont you guys think?
Old 18 April 2020, 12:07 PM   #75
narembeen
Banned

Watch has been sent to my watch maker. He opened the case and said first off its from 1965, not 1966. The caseback said I.65. The bracelet it was on was from 1983, there are also parts for an earlier bracelet. It was serviced twice, in 78 and 86 and never again since. The movement is ok but needs an overhaul. I sent the bezel, bracelet to him also. The dial is ok as I though the plexi was not only dirty it was covered in scratches. My watch maker said he may be able to sand it and use it again but we will see. The dial is being sent to hong kong to have the lume dots repaired. The text is 100% fine so thats good apparently. I told him the dial cannot be wiped otherwise just leave it and he assured me this guy will do the dots and nothing else. So I should have some follow up pics in a few months apparently.
Old 18 April 2020, 12:30 PM   #76
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
These watches belong to people who worked for a living with their hands so its pretty funny now the second generation owners are complaining about my hands. It says a lot dont you guys think?
Amen brother. You should see the threads here about man purses, grooming tools, skinny jeans, how to use the On Star button to change your tire, and whether it's safe to wear your Rolex on a trip to the Four Seasons Resort and Residences in Anguilla

The feminization of man unfolds here right before your eyes.

Keep us posted on how you're coming along with the watch. It'll be cool to follow. You should hit up some of the Rolex experts in the States like Phillip Ridley. Great resources. Sounds like you have a good plan with your guy especially with the dial. If it's going to Hong Kong, it might be Michael Young and he does real nice dial work.
Old 18 April 2020, 12:32 PM   #77
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Amen brother. You should see the threads here about man purses, grooming tools, skinny jeans, how to use the On Star button to change your tire, and whether it's safe to wear your Rolex on a trip to the Four Seasons Resort and Residences in Anguilla

The feminization of man unfolds here right before your eyes.
110% Agree.

Great watch and story OP. Keep us updated.
Old 18 April 2020, 12:36 PM   #78
rusty427
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Watch has been sent to my watch maker. He opened the case and said first off its from 1965, not 1966. The caseback said I.65. The bracelet it was on was from 1983, there are also parts for an earlier bracelet. It was serviced twice, in 78 and 86 and never again since. The movement is ok but needs an overhaul. I sent the bezel, bracelet to him also. The dial is ok as I though the plexi was not only dirty it was covered in scratches. My watch maker said he may be able to sand it and use it again but we will see. The dial is being sent to hong kong to have the lume dots repaired. The text is 100% fine so thats good apparently. I told him the dial cannot be wiped otherwise just leave it and he assured me this guy will do the dots and nothing else. So I should have some follow up pics in a few months apparently.

Looking forward to seeing finished result.
I’m glad you found a local watchmaker to assist.
Old 18 April 2020, 12:56 PM   #79
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I like this guy...…. The comment about the OP's hands was a personal attack, and Jeff's response was spot on. OP, source the parts, service it, with someone reputable and wear it. He left it to you for a reason.
Agree
Old 18 April 2020, 03:07 PM   #80
narembeen
Banned

Cheers guys, yeah you guys who just posted are the kind of dudes I want to hear from. These crying ladyboys I had to hear from when I first posted, oh my god.

yeah I think Michael young is the guy who is going to sort out the dial. Wont cost much either, my watch maker is charging me what he is paying, great guy recomended by someone via a pm here.
Old 18 April 2020, 04:16 PM   #81
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cheers guys, yeah you guys who just posted are the kind of dudes I want to hear from. These crying ladyboys I had to hear from when I first posted, oh my god.

yeah I think Michael young is the guy who is going to sort out the dial. Wont cost much either, my watch maker is charging me what he is paying, great guy recomended by someone via a pm here.
Crying ladyboys - too funny

Good luck with it. Be very special once done.
Old 19 April 2020, 05:16 AM   #82
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Really looking forward to the results!!!! What do you think, 1-2 months max or ?
Old 19 April 2020, 05:24 AM   #83
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Pleased you found the bezel
Did you take a photo before you sent it off?
Old 19 April 2020, 08:02 AM   #84
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

I find it a little ironic that some of you guys gave the first reply so much grief. His comment about the hands was clearly said with tongue in cheek and his recommendation to take clearer, better pictures was appropriate.

The fact that some of you guys are getting torn up about it suggests you aren’t that ‘man’ after all. Thought you’ll have thicker skin.
Old 19 April 2020, 08:15 AM   #85
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Maybe over in the General Forum....but here with us Vintage guys? Really? Elitist?? I find us vintage nerds over here incredibly diverse, with varying backgrounds and interests, and quite down to earth. You'll see no "Show us what you're wearing next to your diploma" or "Does your watch match you car" kind of posts here. Ever! Here it's all about the watch, not how much it costs. It seems you're attacking the wrong group.

And while I can't speak for us all, I apologize if any of us has come across that way. Surely, a comment's nuance and subtlety gets lost in a printed reply. But, having been here for a while, I would say this is a great group of enthusiasts who care more about the history and passion for vintage Rolexes than the status of what the public thinks they are.
Old 19 April 2020, 08:17 AM   #86
emersm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
These crying ladyboys I had to hear from when I first posted, oh my god.
Looking forward to seeing it all put back together.
Old 19 April 2020, 09:13 AM   #87
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Maybe over in the General Forum....but here with us Vintage guys? Really? Elitist?? I find us vintage nerds over here incredibly diverse, with varying backgrounds and interests, and quite down to earth. You'll see no "Show us what you're wearing next to your diploma" or "Does your watch match you car" kind of posts here. Ever! Here it's all about the watch, not how much it costs. It seems you're attacking the wrong group.

And while I can't speak for us all, I apologize if any of us has come across that way. Surely, a comment's nuance and subtlety gets lost in a printed reply. But, having been here for a while, I would say this is a great group of enthusiasts who care more about the history and passion for vintage Rolexes than the status of what the public thinks they are.
Couldn’t agree more.

Most of the members here aren’t here for a pissing contest. Sharing information, providing some guidance (whether right or wrong is a separate debate) and helping new and old members is mainly what I see. Describing it as a ‘Country club’ is far from the truth.
Old 19 April 2020, 10:37 AM   #88
RyanPrasad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Quote:
Mate this is the kinda stuff we live for on the vintage forum. If possible ask the watchmaker and the HK guy to take pictures along the way to document the process. It's a major overall and it'll be one for the ages. If possible get detailed before and after pics you'll be happy to did and, we'll all be grateful to see the process.
Old 19 April 2020, 10:51 AM   #89
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:

Happy journey to a wonderful collectable; subscribberated.

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
Old 19 April 2020, 11:02 AM   #90
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPrasad View Post
Mate this is the kinda stuff we live for on the vintage forum. If possible ask the watchmaker and the HK guy to take pictures along the way to document the process. It's a major overall and it'll be one for the ages. If possible get detailed before and after pics you'll be happy to did and, we'll all be grateful to see the process.
Yes 100% ask for photos, we would all love to follow the journey of the watches resurrection.
Closed Thread