The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 November 2020, 02:18 AM   #31
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I love the "vintage vs. current" discussions on this forum. These discussions are enlightening as to my own changing perspectives as I age. The timepieces I purchased as "current" are now "vintage" because the world never stops turning, so this discussion becomes more and more humorous with each passing year. For example, I was enchanted when Rolex started using modified Zenith chronographs in the Daytona, as a longtime Zenith fan. That, to me, was the ultimate, modern machine fantasy. I'm glad I got one when I could still afford one, they are now out of my range forever. They have been "surpassed" by the modern Daytona, which seems superior in every way: case, layout, dial options, bracelet, ceramic bezel, in-house movement BUT I'll stick with my Zenith Daytona, which is now "vintage". If any of you stick around long enough in this Rolex fascination, you'll see what I mean and you will laugh as I do, I promise.
Old 24 November 2020, 03:38 AM   #32
gilel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex white 1680
Hello,
A huge difference for me is that you can place different versions of the same vintage reference side by side and you will have different watches because of patina. With recent references, all models are identical...they've got no soul IMO.

gilel
gilel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 05:26 AM   #33
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilel View Post
Hello,
A huge difference for me is that you can place different versions of the same vintage reference side by side and you will have different watches because of patina. With recent references, all models are identical...they've got no soul IMO.

gilel
Very true! Great input...pretty big difference I appearance between pumpkin patina and starch white for instance...the aging part with the patina development is just so intriguing I think!
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 05:31 AM   #34
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

I feel quite sad that rolex will look like new forever more, just look at that amazing 1680 over the page (stunning!)

My feeling is Tudor is flying the flag for the working man’s tool watch and with them still using alloy bezels at least we’ll see some patina in the future.

I can only hope the Tudor sub comes back around (anyone notice the P01 has lume on the dial and no raised markers, maybe that type of dial will come about in something else)
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 07:16 PM   #35
16610v
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Vintage with patina + no white-old surround + dome glass + aluminum bezel are the perfect design watch!
Old 26 November 2020, 01:36 AM   #36
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
I feel quite sad that rolex will look like new forever more, just look at that amazing 1680 over the page (stunning!)

My feeling is Tudor is flying the flag for the working man’s tool watch and with them still using alloy bezels at least we’ll see some patina in the future.

I can only hope the Tudor sub comes back around (anyone notice the P01 has lume on the dial and no raised markers, maybe that type of dial will come about in something else)
I can’t help but think the same in regards to the Tudor brand. I find their designs more and more appealing as moths pass. They still retain so much of the vintage looks that so many of us in this thread crave. My only two issues is that I still have trouble with those “snowflake hands” and also this is just a personal issue, I suppose, but I’ve been wearing something that says Rolex on the dial half of my life thus far and have always loved the brand so much, to me there is something so special about having that on my wrist just as a brand. Especially growing up with the old Bond movies and so much allure around exploration and adventure that was associated with Rolex, there is something in my mind that I really find special about that. I’m not sure what I’ll do when I pass my watches down to my kids in 20 years or so. I may just have to suck up my personal biases and buy a Tudor, I’m not sure modern Rolex can fill the void quite the way the vintage ones can and the current design philosophy from Tudor.
Old 26 November 2020, 08:03 AM   #37
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
I find their designs more and more appealing as moths pass.
Don't let those moths get into your closet.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 08:09 AM   #38
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I collect vintage watches and I admire every single 4 digit Rolex posted here but they have become a minefield so I prefer to own their modern iterations.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 09:01 AM   #39
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
You might say I started vintage, since I wore my 5513 and 1675 purchased in the early 70's until I bought my Exp II two years ago. Why do I love my two vintage pieces? Because they represent memorable points in my life AND because they DON'T have noticeable yellowing and look almost new.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 10:27 AM   #40
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
You might say I started vintage, since I wore my 5513 and 1675 purchased in the early 70's until I bought my Exp II two years ago. Why do I love my two vintage pieces? Because they represent memorable points in my life AND because they DON'T have noticeable yellowing and look almost new.
I felt like you too - my 5513 has snow white plots.

But I got tired of that pristine looking dial and have learnt to appreciate patinated darker plots/hands, here displayed on the 1680.

One thing is for certain, these are two very nice but different specimens.

Vintage rules.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020.11.00 5513 vs 1680 LowRes.jpg (145.3 KB, 182 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 11:29 AM   #41
statsman
"TRF" Member

One of the neat things about vintage watches is that there seems to be a real community of collectors, watchmakers and vendors, and relationships are important in this community.

Advice I would give to the newbie vintage collector: your reputation is vital. I have learned that in this community, a good reputation for honesty, fair dealing and meeting commitments can allow the most modest collector to complete a deal with almost anyone for almost any amount. Conversely, a flawed reputation can make it impossible for the wealthiest collector to buy a watch with cash (for fear of the game he might be running).

The vintage watch world is a neat one.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 12:01 PM   #42
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Don't let those moths get into your closet.
Damnit. Autocorrect is fantastic.
Old 3 December 2020, 09:27 AM   #43
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I prefer the charm of the vintage variety. They are much more interesting - although I recently acquired a new GMT, the red & blue, from my dealer after a two year wait.
Congrats on getting the 126710BLRO from your AD. I know you're a big vintage GMT guy, but what is your honest assessment of the new GMT?

I also love the charm of the vintage GMT, but the new model is also very nice. I have a MK2 bezel, and the colors look great. The new jubilee is solid.
Old 13 December 2020, 08:56 AM   #44
samandglove1
"TRF" Member

I can appreciate the modern watches, but I only get excited about the vintage examples. I also don't mind if they show some wear. That means someone enjoyed it.
samandglove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 10:11 AM   #45
hawg
"TRF" Member

Love the vintage. Like lug holes on my watch, plexi. Seem to be very reliable as well.
hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 12:06 PM   #46
mkruger311
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
I think the sweet spot is having one of each. Sometimes it's great to put on a new, sharp and shiny piece. Other times is great to wear a vintage watch with some character and a unique story.
mkruger311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 06:10 PM   #47
Sub737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
There is a time and place both for vintage and modern
I appreciate the statements made about vintage being best, possibly more interesting, a bit more variation between even same models due to manufacturing inaccuracies in the past, etc. But maybe there really is a place for both. The OP appears to be a Porsche fan, and I happen to have a 1991 cabriolet, which is a 964 model, air cooled, silver, navy canvas top, world's ugliest interior, in gray. The seats are creased, not a lot of so called bells and whistles, pretty basic interior, but I love it, its an amazing car, enjoy every time I take it out, partly because of what it is right now, but also because off all the good times from the day I bought it, which is like some important anniversary, July 5, 1999. There is also just something about the sound of the air cooled engine, and the sound of the door opening and closing.

I more recently got a second, a 2012 coupe, 991 model, platinum, black interior, greatly updated interior and probably another 100 horsepower. Faster, better, stronger. A pleasure to drive, another beautiful car. Interestingly I don't recall the exact date of purchase, I guess, just like in life, the first time just means more.

I like the nostalgia of the first, the shape of the headlights and how it looks to drive at night, and I can't go as fast in this one, but its fast enough. The second, just completely different drive, different all together. One other thing I failed to mention yet, and something that links Porsche to Rolex, you can see elements of the older model in the newer version, which is great.

If I had to sell everything though, I would sell it all, but the very last thing to go would be my older, slower, ugly interior 964 model. I feel I could replace the newer model, and not suffer in the least. I appreciate both for what they are, see a place for both options, but I guess in the end, history and nostalgia and vintage, for me, just have a bit more value and benefit. Of course new eventually becomes old, so a combination of vintage and new seems like a good way to move forward. Please enjoy both, and have a great day.
Sub737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 02:29 AM   #48
platowilliams
"TRF" Member

I love Vintage. they have a story to tell. they have more soul
platowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote