The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 February 2006, 05:52 AM   #1
----

Icon14 Watches/Cars - Day 1

My wife and I took Friday off to head to Toronto for a 2-day trip to do some things. The real purpose for the trip was to go to the Auto Show, but it's not really possible to do this without seeing some watches, right? At least, that's what I told the wife.......

So, we arrived in Toronto in time for lunch. We stayed at The Royal York Hotel. It's been a few years since I stayed there, and I do like the feel of this place. It's a grand old hotel right down on Front Street in Toronto. It's where the Queen, Royal family, and various heads of state have stayed on their visits to Toronto.

The first order of business was food. We had plans for a big dinner, so I didn't want too much for lunch. So, off to the deli for a warm Montreal smoked meat sandwich......complete with fries, slaw, and a pickle, of course.

After a very good lunch, we walked a very short distance down the street to the shop where I bought my GO Panoreserve.

When I bought this watch last fall, it ran a bit too fast for my tastes, and even after several months it settled in at about 9 seconds fast per day. Time for regulation!

This is the watchmaker who did the work - he's 69 years old, and repairs everything up to and including tourbillons, chronos, etc. Of course I had to watch the man at work......

First, off came the back of my watch:

I have to say, although I have taken a few movements completely apart myself, and have not made too many big mistakes, even with this talented watchmaker working on my watch, I felt a bit anxious.......

On to the timing machine to see how bad it was:

Some tools of the trade.......I found it reassuring to see I had many of these tools myself (not all however).

After it was all done, things looked much better!

I have not yet checked the timing, but will report back when I have the data. I wanted him to make it slightly fast rather than slow, so we'll see how it works out.

So, while I had the chance, I looked at options for my next watch. One of the contenders has been the UN 1846 Marine Chronometer in stainless, so I had a very close look at this watch:

I like the version with romans on the dial better, but this was nice. It also seems to be the right size for me at 38mm......

I checked out many other brands and options at this store, but that one was the only one that seemed to fit the bill for my next watch. However, that did not stop me from looking at some items that I was not going to buy, but found very interesting.......

First was the GO Senator Cal. 100 perpetual in platinum.....this is their new movement.......and this is one stunning watch. I think this retails for somewhere in the area or $49K Canadian..........ouch! I have to apologize for some of these pictures, as I found it very hard with the lighting in the store, especially on this black dial...

That dial has a lot going on......it really is beautiful in person.....

As with all the GO's, the movement is very well finished......

Some closer views.......

The next watch is one that has sparked some controversy with it's dial design. Certainly this has drawbacks, but despite that it is a masterful work of art.....retail on this is $64k Canadian.

The chrono hand runs on a sub-dial that is elevated above the main dial. It is unusual for sure, but the look definitely works, although it might not be too practical (but who cares, really.....I don't!).

This shot shows the elevated dial:

Another of the sub dial for the time of day:

Here is a shot of the back - amazing......

And of course, a wrist shot......

So after drooling over some others, including a JLC Amvox1, we left the store with my watch regulated, but with nothing new other than some nice pictures......

It was still early enough in the afternoon to head to other watch stores, but unfortunately I did not feel comfortable pulling out my camera in those other places, so no pictures. However, in addition to the UN, I did try on 2 BlancPain watches that were very nice. One was an AquaLung with a 100 hour movement, and the other was a Leman with a GMT function complete with day/night indicator. Both were black dialed, and both were a LOT more than the UN.......

I also took the opportunity to try on a platinum Day Date with the Glacier blue dial at one store. Quite impressive weight on that watch! The sales lady told me that prices here have come down because the excise tax has been removed as of Feb. 1 - not sure if that is true, but if so it helps the poor Canadian WIS out a little bit as we get hit pretty hard up here.......

I took a few shots of various things in Toronto just for those who haven't been here. Here is a shot of our most famous landmark - the CN Tower. It is the tallest free-standing structure on earth. You can take a brisk elevator ride to the main area, and then an additional trip up to the observation deck. I haven't been up there for a few years, but if you haven't ever been, I would recommend it.

So the big question of the day was - what to do for dinner? My wife stated quite clearly that she wanted a good steak, so I took advantage of that statement by booking us in at the local Ruth's Chris Steak House (my wife does not want a big steak very often, as she woud rather pick away at a salad...... ).

So, off we went to have dinner - I did really plan on taking pictures (I didn't want to leave the camera in the hotel room), but the waitress saw the camera and offered, so here it is:

The red was a nice Australian Chiraz for those who are interested......

Then out came the steaks. I chose a nice filet, medium rare, with potatoes au gratin, and some rather large sauteed mushrooms.......drool.......

My wife had the smaller version, so she was all set!

It was fantastic, cooked at 1800 degrees F, and then served on a 500 degree plate with clarified butter.......oh my was that tasty.......

So, we went back to the hotel for a drink and a good night's sleep. Day 2 was busy......I'll post that sometime soon!

Thanks, for reading.
Old 27 February 2006, 06:10 AM   #2
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Sounds like a good trip. You missed letting us in on the price tag on the UN??
Did the AD actually let you do up the straps? Whenever I try strap watches on they almost keel over if it looks like I'm about to adjust the straps.
thanks for taking us alond on your trips
No pics of any cars
Ulterior motives

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2006, 06:32 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Al, that was fantastic, pal, thank you The watches were absolutely gorgeous (drool) and the UN looked like it belonged on you even more so with romans. You and your wife look great together, very happy You just can't go wrong with Ruth's Chris

Thanks again for taking the time out to bring us along with you, so to speak. the tour was wonderful
Old 27 February 2006, 06:36 AM   #4
G Shearing

Hi!

Thanks for a totally awesome post! You got my digestive juices flowing and my watch admiration juices as well!
That UN has the same layout as the Marine Chronometer Padi listed. That one would do it for me.
Solaris would be high on my list for being so amenable.
G Shearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2006, 06:48 AM   #5
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
Sounds like a good trip. You missed letting us in on the price tag on the UN??
Did the AD actually let you do up the straps? Whenever I try strap watches on they almost keel over if it looks like I'm about to adjust the straps.
thanks for taking us alond on your trips
No pics of any cars
Ulterior motives
The UN lists for $7,400 or so.......not bad so it's definitely in the running.

The two BP's I looked at were $13K and $15k, so those will take a bit more convincing for the wife to accept the expense......

The straps and bracelets are always way too big for me. I am cursed with a smaller wrist, so I usually don't even bother trying.....

The cars were on Day 2. Still to come, so stay tuned!
Old 27 February 2006, 06:49 AM   #6
----

Thanks for the comments guys - it was a great weekend.
Old 27 February 2006, 07:44 AM   #7
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Fantastic Al, stunning watches! Man, that UN looks great and is one of my favourite watches. However, the chips (pommes frites) looked soggy Nice and original workmanship on the GH movements, this is how watches should be: works of art
Old 27 February 2006, 08:34 AM   #8
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Great post Al Thanks. The UN is a beauty. I love that brand. The pattern on the dial on the GO with the elevated dial is beauitful too. Glad you had a good time.
Old 27 February 2006, 11:01 AM   #9
bhrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/WG DJ jubilee
UN makes some fantastic watches!

so...did you ever make it to the car show, I'm going next weekend here in Cleveland
Old 27 February 2006, 03:27 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Thanks for the wonderful pics. The watches look fabulous and very, very expensive...not to mention outstandingly classy!! It feels nice to see pics of the two of you again. Haven't seen you guys in over a year, so it was great seeing your recent pics. Jacqui looks as lovely as ever and you're the ever loving tosser #3!!

Thanks once more and we look forward to more of the same.

Cheers - JJ

PS: Say Hi to Jacqui from Zemina and me.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2006, 08:11 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Thanks Al for sharing love that Glashutte,but at $64k anything, I will have to pass at the moment.That watchmakers bench reminds me of Rolex SC Singapore very very tidy,most workbenches I have seen, have been very untidy.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2006, 11:28 PM   #12
Atomic

Very good post Al. I'm particularly impressed that the watchmaker not only calibrated your GO while you waited, but that he let you in his 'inner sanctum' to observe and photograph. I bet you had a helluva conversation with him. I also bet he was impressed that you know what you're talking about (at least as far as watches are concerned ).

That UN is nice, but pricey IMHO for what it is. However, it's still a beauty and while the white dial is nice, I much prefer the blue version, with arabics of course!

So let me guess... obviously the Whitebreads were tried on at RDV on Bloor, but I assume the sky blue, platinum DD was as well? I've had that very watch on my wrist, and since they list at over $50,000, I'm guessing it was the very same watch.
Old 28 February 2006, 12:20 AM   #13
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Thanks for sharing your weekend, Al. Great pics of some nice watches (and Jacqui, of course). I'm also a fan of Ruths' Chris when it comes to steak. I was drooling just looking at the watches and the steak.

And who says I'm tho only one here who likes complications.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2006, 03:05 AM   #14
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Thanks for sharing your weekend, Al. Great pics of some nice watches (and Jacqui, of course). I'm also a fan of Ruths' Chris when it comes to steak. I was drooling just looking at the watches and the steak.

And who says I'm tho only one here who likes complications.
Thanks Ed - I do like watches with complications.

Although I am not generally a fan of chronos (in fact I was quite frustrated at the number of them crowding out the useful watches at all the stores ) I do love that GO PanoMatic Chrono, and if I win the lottery, it will be mine.........
Old 28 February 2006, 03:06 AM   #15
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Thanks Ed - I do like watches with complications.

Although I am not generally a fan of chronos (in fact I was quite frustrated at the number of them crowding out the useful watches at all the stores ) I do love that GO PanoMatic Chrono, and if I win the lottery, it will be mine.........

I have to admit it Al, that is one chrono I really like.
Old 28 February 2006, 03:14 AM   #16
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Very good post Al. I'm particularly impressed that the watchmaker not only calibrated your GO while you waited, but that he let you in his 'inner sanctum' to observe and photograph. I bet you had a helluva conversation with him. I also bet he was impressed that you know what you're talking about (at least as far as watches are concerned ).

That UN is nice, but pricey IMHO for what it is. However, it's still a beauty and while the white dial is nice, I much prefer the blue version, with arabics of course!

So let me guess... obviously the Whitebreads were tried on at RDV on Bloor, but I assume the sky blue, platinum DD was as well? I've had that very watch on my wrist, and since they list at over $50,000, I'm guessing it was the very same watch.
I can assure you I tried to have a conversation with the watchmaker, but I also didn't want to disturb him while he was working on my baby.

He didn't seem to have a great command of English either, which made things a bit difficult. Oh well.....

Yes, I did try on the BP's and the Rolex at RDV. I also went to the dreaded place that sells used watches, and tried on a BP Villeret triple date with moonphase in SS they had there. It was nice, but it duplicates my Master Moon a little too much.

I also went to La Swiss in the Eaton's center, but the guy I dealt with was quite obnoxious, so we didn't spend long in there. They had a UN Sonata in the display case, that appeared to be white gold - it was tough to tell from the lighting. I asked him if the Sonata was a white gold model....He said "Yes, that watch is Sonata!" He had a European accent of some kind, and it became apparent that he thought he knew everything, and he did not speak English very well.

I asked him if that was the new Sonata ("Cathedral" is the new version) and he said "Yes, that is Sonata!" WTF? So, I tried to explain that there was a new version, and he quickly told me that "NO, Sonata is new watch - no new version!" At that point I thought I had better cut my losses and move on......

Rolex is not the only brand who has people selling product they have no clue about......

I agree that with the ETA based movement (UN26 is their designation) the 1846 is a little expensive for what you get, but I'm sure I could get a decent discount on it. Another option is the secondary market, so I will at least give that some thought.
Old 28 February 2006, 03:18 AM   #17
Atomic

Let me take a wild guess and state that the dreaded place that sells used watches still had the Lange 1 in the case, and no discount. Tell me I'm wrong.

BTW, when you go in there, is it Pina who has looked after you or Alex?
Old 28 February 2006, 03:27 AM   #18
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Let me take a wild guess and state that the dreaded place that sells used watches still had the Lange 1 in the case, and no discount. Tell me I'm wrong.

BTW, when you go in there, is it Pina who has looked after you or Alex?
I won't tell you that you are wrong.......

This time I was mostly ignored, until Alex came over to see what I needed. He was actually fairly reasonable to deal with. I spoke with him about trading the YM, but he basically told me I would get killed on it. Not something that is news to me........
Old 28 February 2006, 04:28 AM   #19
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Great post Al!! That looks like some fine dining, accomodations, watches and company you had. Thanks for sharing pal.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2006, 02:27 AM   #20
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Thanks Al for sharing love that Glashutte,but at $64k anything, I will have to pass at the moment.That watchmakers bench reminds me of Rolex SC Singapore very very tidy,most workbenches I have seen, have been very untidy.
Well Padi, his bench is certainly better organized than mine is.....
Old 1 March 2006, 02:37 AM   #21
----

I meant to comment on some other watches I saw during this trip:

1/ Hublot Big Bang - in my view the name should be the Big Bust. I was not at all impressed with the mix of materials on this watch. Even if it was in a size that would suit me, I would give it a pass. I admit I did like the carbon fiber weave dial, but the rest it just wasn't my cup of tea at all.

2/ JLC Master Calendar - this is the replacement for the Master Moon (which I own) and again I was not impressed. The new version is much bigger, as thick as a hockey puck, and the dial is very odd. The symmetry and proportions that make the Master Moon so classic are all lost in this new version. It does have an upgfraded movement, but the look is not my taste.

3/ IWC Ingenieur - wow this thing is a tank! It is much bigger, thicker, and more imposing on the wrist than I imagined. It certainly is a nice looking watch, if a bit plain, but for my smallish wrists it is a no go. I would say that the intergrated bracelet adds to the feeling of size on this watch.

Stay tuned for the "cars" portion of our trip!