The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 September 2018, 03:40 AM   #61
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Cannot see one single reason why Rolex should make a Tourbillion only perhaps to make a very expensive watch because they can. And would doubt if that Noir modified watch is now a official Rolex, so Rolex would not service it also the PVD coating .The Tourbillon IMHO serves no real purpose in a wrist watch at all,only the fact the watchmakers can make them at crazy retail prices .And today you would be quite surprised how many watch HI end brands Tourbillons and cages are made China,and they make them very very well too to equal the Swiss.I sometimes wonder why there so much admiration for the Tourbillon,perhaps the unquestioned and deserved prestige of Breguet the inventor many many years ago.But the Tourbillon always work best in one position and in the Tourbillon is always modifying the slight timing errors in the vertical position.The Tourbillon does not correct position variations, it only prevents them being detected in the usual testing conditions. But when placed on say a Vibrograph timing machine, the Tourbillon reveals its weaknesses immediately.The Tourbillon does not correct anything,in wrist movements, it only prevents the detection of any beat errors that still exists in natural gravity with wrist movement.

The Tourbillon is in fact an additional mechanism that consumes energy without producing anything except misinformation.The energy it consumes is taken from the reserve destined to the balance regulator. As a result, the balance wheel with less energy will have reduced advantages.Now I agree totally the skill needed to make the cage plus Tourbillon etc is a great horological skill.But in reality any Tourbillon watch is no more accurate that several other non Tourbillon watches that cost quite a bit less.When you think of today's modern watches,with or without Tourbillons are not so nearly accurate as one produced by John Harrison almost 300 years ago.

Gravity is one of the main causes of rate variations in watches,by creating the Tourbillon,when Breguet thought he was eliminating its effects,It looks like it was an big error on his part,he only masked them like Tourbillons do.Now if someone could come up and counteract the effect on gravity on a wrist watch totally.Now that would be a big break through but until then Tourbillons,IMHO are just good to look at,and they are very very expensive to own,and they make them because they can.But again looking at the other side of the coin,in Breguets day a hundred plus years ago when he invented the Tourbillon and the tools he had then.And now today with modern machines and computers puts a different perspective on the making side of Tourbillons today.
Thanks Peter, this was a very interesting read and I’m now wiser for it!

As an aside I suppose you could say that the 4000M deep seas are a little bit unnecessary? Unless the seals last far longer at normal
depths?
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 05:01 AM   #62
tudorwatches
"TRF" Member

Ok....so it's fake..
tudorwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 05:08 AM   #63
Gunbucker
"TRF" Member

I'd rather see a Rolex perpetual calendar. They're already this close with the SkyDweller. Perhaps a SkyDweller Perpetual?

Or better yet, some time in the future, ability to crank in a perpetual calendar complications into the Day-Date without messing up its dial.
Gunbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 06:07 AM   #64
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Doesn’t look to like a Rolex!
Old 20 September 2018, 07:08 AM   #65
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
We can't criticize Tourbillions and say they are pointless and wear mechanical watches in the first place. That's not the point at all. It's about romance.

I don't hear people say the vertical column wheel in a Daytona is pointless and should just have a cam ... All of this stuff is completely over engineered for tiny details that make our hearts skip.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 08:34 AM   #66
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
I'd rather see a Rolex perpetual calendar. They're already this close with the SkyDweller. Perhaps a SkyDweller Perpetual?

Or better yet, some time in the future, ability to crank in a perpetual calendar complications into the Day-Date without messing up its dial.
There has been a prototype DD OQ Perpetual calander that Rolex lost a lawsuit over to attemp to limit its sale. Perhaps it is the end of prototypes being given to out which would be sad.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 08:37 AM   #67
Dompropat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
You know that if Rolex ever made a tourbillon it wouldn't be visible but the dial would be covered in text like:

Rolex
Oyster Perpetual Date

GRAVITY MASTER II
Ceratourb Evergyro
Superlative Chronometer
Officially Certified
Hahahahahaha
Dompropat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 09:34 AM   #68
debbs20
"TRF" Member

Interesting piece but Not a fan, thanks for sharing nevertheless.
debbs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 09:45 AM   #69
mtasquared
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1989 Submariner
Don't like it. Rolexes are made to be tough and durable, which is the opposite of a tourbillon.

As an aside, I am seriously considering getting a Chinese double tourbillon for $125. Just for laughs.
Old 20 September 2018, 10:00 PM   #70
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
I see what you’re saying but the Tourbillon must have a little use for improved accuracy overcoming the effect of gravitation?

Not really. More of an effect for a pocket watch which remains upright

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 10:03 PM   #71
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
Not really. More of an effect for a pocket watch which remains upright

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
unless your watch is on a winder, its in one position 8 hours a day. just saying.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 11:11 PM   #72
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
unless your watch is on a winder, its in one position 8 hours a day. just saying.

True. But my watch is flat at night. feel free to spend the money on a tourbillon and post pics. I have told my watch dealers if I ever try to buy one, they are allowed to hit me in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote