The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: Do you yearn/aspire to own higher end brands (Patek, RM, Lange, AP, etc)?
I own Rolex, and yearn/aspire to own pieces higher end than Rolex. 146 29.49%
I own Rolex, but could not care less for the higher end brands. 178 35.96%
I own both Rolex and higher end brands. 163 32.93%
I own neither Rolex nor the higher end brands. 8 1.62%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 September 2018, 05:44 AM   #151
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
Wow. Where did THAT come from?
Right. There are always a few members that manage to misinterpret a perfectly good topic of discussion and distort it into something that fits their own agenda. Interestingly enough, these naysayers' presence in my threads is nearly 100%. In other words, these folks are stingy to acknowledge an interesting thread, but are extravagant when it comes to their participation rates in these very same threads.

It reminds me a bit of a few people I know IRL who are as stingy with their $ as they are with their FB likes, lol.

SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 05:46 AM   #152
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Rolex watches are great, I love them, but after wearing one for a few decades I got bored. So I bought other Rolexes. I was still bored. One day it dawned on me: they are all the same. Different dial, same case. Different bracelet, same case. PP, Lange, Journe, AP et.al. are for those days when you're not engaging in life threatening activities.
Yeah, Rolexes are durable beyond belief, like a Jeep. You can drive a Jeep anywhere, but do you really want to?
I agree. Not much variety in Rolex.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 06:10 AM   #153
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
I have owned many Rolex references. Have had an AP rubber clad twice. First time I was not convinced I loved it. Second time around I got a proper fit on the strap and am enjoying it. It is not as sophisticated as other AP references or as PP, but I am a sports watch guy. I love the Rolex sports watch lines. That’s where my passion is. Would I like to have an Aquanaut? Yes. Am I happier owning 3-4 more Rolex rather than that one Aquanaut? Yes. Maybe someday I will have PP but it is simply not a priority for me. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 September 2018, 06:21 AM   #154
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
Right. There are always a few members that manage to misinterpret a perfectly good topic of discussion and distort it into something that fits their own agenda. Interestingly enough, these naysayers' presence in my threads is nearly 100%. In other words, these folks are stingy to acknowledge an interesting thread, but are extravagant when it comes to their participation rates in these very same threads.

It reminds me a bit of a few people I know IRL who are as stingy with their $ as they are with their FB likes, lol.

So what do you aspire to own, besides the 16610 Sub? Please enlighten us.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 06:59 AM   #155
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I've always loved Rolex, but have pretty much migrated away. I've only kept the very classic pieces that were either passed down or are sentimental.

As many know, I am pretty much ALL RM now, with some AP and PP. I don't see myself moving back to all Rolex, but I am always opened to adding some special pieces back.

I was adamantly against RM when I first saw it- like so many. Yet, once on the wrist, there is nothing else like it.
Old 15 September 2018, 07:37 AM   #156
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post

Look don't play dumb, you have form and yes you could have made this a good thread but for your deliberately provocative words like yearning for which you later clarified ofc to mean can't afford as if we didn't all know. Get into the spirit of this positive forum, divisive trolls don't last long.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 09:08 AM   #157
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Aesthetics is my primary driver and as good as Rolex is quality wise, there are many other brands that offer the look I want in a watch while Rolex does not . . . . . so I own a buncha stuff from the higher end houses (and brands "below"Rolex too) . . .
Old 15 September 2018, 09:21 AM   #158
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I'd quote someone to give this context but it's kinda slim pickin's up above.

It isn't about being a Rolex fanboy or not liking variety, it's about being comfortable at a price point well above the basic Rolex. I now or in the past owned Omega, Grand Seiko, Sinn, Dornbluth, Rolex, Tag Heuer, Hamilton and so on.

I love variety and will never just own Rolex and nothing else along with it. I simply just don't get excited enough about watches in the $20k+ range enough to buy one. Other things, sure I dream of/lust for/desire or even own the higher end stuff. Just not watches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 09:28 AM   #159
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Have a couple nice pieces, but at the lower end, of these brands. I'd like to get a complicated PP, but I really aspire for a FPJ/LF/KV.

I guess there's always something to look up to.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 03:15 PM   #160
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I like Rolex (and Omega and Breitling) for sport watches and ALS, VC, JLC, and PP (although less so these days) for dress watches.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 03:47 PM   #161
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
more of a different choice than a better (higher end brand) choice.

rolex is ideally suited for many purposes.

other brands may be ideal for other desires but a "higher end brand" would simply be an inferior choice if the intention was to use it as one uses a rolex.
Old 15 September 2018, 04:07 PM   #162
SearChart
TechXpert

I have a feeling this thread might end with a lock.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 03:52 AM   #163
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Look don't play dumb, you have form and yes you could have made this a good thread but for your deliberately provocative words like yearning for which you later clarified ofc to mean can't afford as if we didn't all know. Get into the spirit of this positive forum, divisive trolls don't last long.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=606664

You guys can read it all here....^^^....

OP got owned.....^^^.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:22 AM   #164
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Ahh yes I yearn deeply for watches that will further validate to my friends how much of a wanker I have become

I buy what I like and can afford.
Old 17 September 2018, 03:18 PM   #165
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
One Rolex, 216570, currently.
No yearning for PP, had and AP. My next purchase will probably be a used Omega Racing Master Chrono, Breguet XXI 3817, Snowflake or Blancpain Bathyscaphe, as I find them cheaper, more interesting and obtainable than anything Rolex offers.
I'd also rather have $50K spread out amongst 10 watches, than one $50K watch.
Old 19 September 2018, 02:05 AM   #166
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
I couldn't vote because I don't currently own a Rolex, but have had a few in the past, and hope to have at least one more. At the time I did own my last Rolex, I did end up getting both a Patek Philippe and an H. Moser. And love both of them. I also love Panerai, Zenith and Omega.

Just because I don't currently own a Rolex, does not me I do not still love the brand. And I do relate to why some do not care about owning any other brand.

A Rolex diver, likely either a 114060 or SD43, is what I think will be my next Rolex. Simply because, although I am not a diver, I think they make the best diver watches. My passion about these stems largely from the superb crown mechanism and how it handles and operates. Even if I did not like the watches for other reasons, the crown mechanism alone might be enough reason for me to buy a Rolex diver. And I have handled a Rolex diver many times, so I do know first hand how the crown handles.

I should add, as well: Over the years, I have found that Rolex represents one of the best values in a high end watch. While I never buy a watch with resale as a consideration, I have found first hand that they do have excellent resale value. While I spend a lot of money on watches, I am very aware of value. For example, while some might consider the SD43 overpriced, when I compare it against some other watches, both less expensive and more expensive, I feel that it represents excellent value. I also feel that the Day-Date is one of the best values to be had in a precious metal watch. Some may disagree, but that is how I see it.
Old 19 September 2018, 02:08 AM   #167
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Not all but I did. But I also do when it comes to other things because the finer details appeal to me.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 02:20 PM   #168
GerryJr
"TRF" Member

There’s a missing option. I own Rolex and some (comparatively) budget watches. I enjoy all of them, but they each have their pros and cons.

My Steinhart Ocean One Titanium 500, for example, has a modern design and runs at -1 seconds per week using a tweaked/modified ETA 2892-A2 movement. This actually outperforms both my Double Red Sea Dweller and Sea Dweller 43 (126600), which the latter runs at -3 seconds per two days. Kind of interesting, considering that the modern Sea Dweller costs about 18 times as much as the Steinhart.

On the other hand, a Rolex is as close to true perfection as you’ll ever get with any single mechanical device. It’s a work of art and it’s also incredibly over-engineered. I think it’s amazing to wear them; they have their own stories and having them on my wrist not only keeps some memories alive, but it’s a tribute to the insane level of detail and engineering that went into these pieces.
GerryJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 03:58 PM   #169
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Rolex was my gateway to high end watches. Since then, I've ventured into many other brands. At the end, my current collection is strictly AP and Rolex. This is not to say I don't like other brands. I love all watches in general. I have a certain PP and ALS on my radar and look forward to adding to the collection.

I am intrigued by how some say they will only buy Rolex though. What's wrong with a little variety?
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 01:29 AM   #170
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I went the other direction. In my own beginning of collecting was not a big Rolex fan. Now i do appreciate. I owned PP, AP, ALS etc before buying a rolex.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 11:36 PM   #171
Sam3641
"TRF" Member

Over the months I have read several online debates and discussions in relation to the Rolex vs ‘the holy trinity’ kind of arguments.
IMHO, after considering a vast array of opinions for and against why someone would want to purchase ‘higher end watches’ other than Rolex, I can safely say that there is no way I would ever consider desiring after a PP, ALS or VC. Why?

First, I consider my self to be a practical person. Now, assume I had a billion dollars and purchased a PP grand complication or even something less complicated like a PP annual calendar. As a practicable person, there is no way I would want to wear those watches knowing that in the not to distant future I am going to have to have it sent away to be continuously calibrated, cared for and fluffed over just to maintain the watch. I have better things to be doing with my time - after all I’m a hypothetical billionaire.

Second, The fact that PP in particular have a far shorter service and warranty period than Rolex, for all there claims regarding the polishing and preparation of each individual part in their watches, is something I can’t get over and it would play on my mind knowing that I could have purchased a cheaper but more sturdy, durable and consistently longer lasting watch in Rolex (or even Omega)...

Third, why people have an obsession to own complicated watches I will never know! I’ve had a few chronographs (not that that is complicated) and I’ve never ever used the damn the function! I view complications (other than date, day, maybe gmt) as being gimmicky and there for show (honestly.. a moon phase come on). The upkeep on super complications, as touched on previously, is just absurd. Yes PP might be beautiful to look at, might have a fine movement with complications but go and look at it in a museum or a shop window.

For me having a fine watch, like a DD40, is not about how many complications it has, it’s about being able to put it on each and everyday knowing it looks great, has great pedigree and is built to run accurately for as long as possible. Rolex all the way!

My two cents...

Sam3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 04:53 AM   #172
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I went the other direction. In my own beginning of collecting was not a big Rolex fan. Now i do appreciate. I owned PP, AP, ALS etc before buying a rolex.
Same here, except I never owned an AP.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 11:02 PM   #173
Pops1973
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
I like variety so would not restrict myself to one brand.
Pops1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 05:06 AM   #174
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam3641 View Post
Over the months I have read several online debates and discussions in relation to the Rolex vs ‘the holy trinity’ kind of arguments.
IMHO, after considering a vast array of opinions for and against why someone would want to purchase ‘higher end watches’ other than Rolex, I can safely say that there is no way I would ever consider desiring after a PP, ALS or VC. Why?

First, I consider my self to be a practical person. Now, assume I had a billion dollars and purchased a PP grand complication or even something less complicated like a PP annual calendar. As a practicable person, there is no way I would want to wear those watches knowing that in the not to distant future I am going to have to have it sent away to be continuously calibrated, cared for and fluffed over just to maintain the watch. I have better things to be doing with my time - after all I’m a hypothetical billionaire.

Second, The fact that PP in particular have a far shorter service and warranty period than Rolex, for all there claims regarding the polishing and preparation of each individual part in their watches, is something I can’t get over and it would play on my mind knowing that I could have purchased a cheaper but more sturdy, durable and consistently longer lasting watch in Rolex (or even Omega)...

Third, why people have an obsession to own complicated watches I will never know! I’ve had a few chronographs (not that that is complicated) and I’ve never ever used the damn the function! I view complications (other than date, day, maybe gmt) as being gimmicky and there for show (honestly.. a moon phase come on). The upkeep on super complications, as touched on previously, is just absurd. Yes PP might be beautiful to look at, might have a fine movement with complications but go and look at it in a museum or a shop window.

For me having a fine watch, like a DD40, is not about how many complications it has, it’s about being able to put it on each and everyday knowing it looks great, has great pedigree and is built to run accurately for as long as possible. Rolex all the way!

My two cents...

By the same token, you can get a far more accurate watch than Rolex for fifty bucks or less. So why spend $$$$$ on a Rolex?

I don't subscribe to this and have a couple of PPs, among others.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 05:20 AM   #175
Mach 5
"TRF" Member

I think each individual has different collections and tastes. I got my first AP ROO 42mm Chrono last month. I got it because I love sport watches and the grey face with grey ceramic bezel and pushers with TI case was a look I really wanted. But I love all 3 of my rolex’s. The GMT function is something I love and use, so I got the GMT 2 and explorer 2. I also love cars and and a Pcar instructor, so I love the new Daytona as well. But I also love IWC, Zenith and Ulysses Nardin, so go me, I love variety, not just one. Plus collecting and alternating is fun. If I had to prioritize based on value and tighter budget, IWC and Rolex would be choices, as I love sport watches.
Mach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 11:13 AM   #176
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
I like some of the top 3 brands, and there is probably a place for them, but Rolex is "bomber" and refined , and that's the kind of watch I need.

The watch you give up today for the next grail may one day become your grail:
Rolex:116520, 16570, 216570, 116710LN, 16610LV, 16700, 116600
Panerai:PAM176, PAM1024, PAM88
Breitling:6.75, Aerospace x2, Chrono 44 GMT, Blackbird/utc, Bentley GT
IWC:3717.
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 04:15 PM   #177
SearChart
TechXpert

yes
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 04:22 PM   #178
cli575
"TRF" Member

i think most do but it's not easy becoz there's quite a big gap between the likeable and affordable Rolexes vs. even the entry level AP, not to mention PP...for instance i've been longing for a RO but for that's a huge jump from my Sub green dial. so reality always bring my eyes back to DJ/Daytona/BLNR... and they r still very hotly pursuit items TBF...
cli575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2018, 01:56 AM   #179
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I love variety in life and accordingly, my taste in watches is very broad. I have more than 11 different brands across my entire collection. I can appreciate that each brand and each watch have their plus and minus and brings their distinctive appeal to me. Rolex is second to none in terms of robustness, durability and being sheer workhorse suitable for daily wear but to be honest, in terms of pure looks, hard to beat AP and PP.

I have always admire Lange for their movement decoration and watch-making innovations but can't seem to find one that I want to own yet. As for RM, hard to justify paying those kind of price when I can think of many other watches from other brands I can get first.

End of the day, all a matter of personal preference. No right or wrong answer.
Old 24 November 2018, 04:36 AM   #180
purestrike
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 82172/000G-9383
I own many other high-end brands, just got my first Rolex. Its hard to describe the weird yearning FOR a Rolex, a mild sense of incompeteness.

Welcome Kermit, you beauty! Ignore the blue-eyed monster lurking in the background, I told him to be nice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kermit2.jpg (222.9 KB, 47 views)
purestrike is offline   Reply With Quote