The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 September 2018, 09:49 PM   #1
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Journey complete (we’ve heard this before, but this time it’s for real...)

I recently have had this conversation with several close friends I’ve met on TRF. I have a hard-to-imagine sense of completeness in watch collecting. We’ve debated whether it’s boredom with the hobby, or the scarcity game and ridiculousness of the secondary market games caused by demand surge and/or supply constraints that has changed the tenor of the industry, or we truly have all we could want and our attention is moving on to new and different “things.”

In any event, for me personally, I’m in a place where there are no watches on my radar. I still look forward to seeing the 5270p in person, but it really will be a stretch that I would buy this watch on the first go around. I assume this watch will be a several year production run. If I’m right, I think at this price point and because it’s a dress watch that it will be possible to get it cheaper down the road than in the first batch of releases (case in point is the 5170p). If I’m wrong and it’s a one year run, well, then so be it. I’m happy, very happy, with my collection.

Interesting to note I am posting this thread in the Rolex section. Since my time here on TRF, I’ve been a Patek and Rolex guy. There were times when I owned more Pateks than Rolex. But what has happened to me, and I’ve read this by several others here on TRF, is that I came back to the Crown. My collection grew again as I had the good fortune to be able to add a few SS Rolex pieces, so I own more Rolex than Patek. And, my Patek collection has shrunk down to two.

So at the end of the day, my journey is complete. The only watches that would interest me now are ones not yet produced. A platinum Sub (if in a non-maxi case) and a platinum GMT. Both would grab my attention, but fortunately for my wallet and for my marriage, there is no decision to make in the foreseeable future.

Anyone else feel their journey is complete?
Old 19 September 2018, 09:51 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Complete? No

I do have more watches than I need and few that I would like to have
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 09:52 PM   #3
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Glad to hear your journey is complete (at the moment). From your pics in the past I'm sure you have a killer collection. Enjoy!
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 10:20 PM   #4
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520, LV, SD4K
I have been a Rolex owner man and boy.....some subs, airkings, daytonas and finally what I believe to be my last watch...SD4K. seems to tick all the boxes. I read here once that you should buy that watch that suits you and your lifestyle not the one you think looks best, gone is the 116500 (lovely looking watch) and in with the 116600.
I guess I'll have to wait and see if the love lasts! Coming on these forums doesn't help!
eightball76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 10:20 PM   #5
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I could see getting there at some point but not yet.
Good for you though. You have and have had some amazing watches.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 10:31 PM   #6
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
I could see getting there at some point but not yet.

Good for you though. You have and have had some amazing watches.

Thanks, my friend. Funny that the most complicated and costly are gone, and the ones that get the most wrist time are those that are the ones worn with less “care” - like those with a ceramic bezel, or generally speaking, the Rolex built-like-tank-with-style-and-function watches. My Pateks are both keepers for me. I truly find them perfect. However, they are worn selectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball76 View Post
I have been a Rolex owner man and boy.....some subs, airkings, daytonas and finally what I believe to be my last watch...SD4K. seems to tick all the boxes. I read here once that you should buy that watch that suits you and your lifestyle not the one you think looks best, gone is the 116500 (lovely looking watch) and in with the 116600.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if the love lasts! Coming on these forums doesn't help!

The 116600 is one of my favorites and will always have a place in my collection. I bought it once it was released. It has a lot of sentimental value, which only adds to the perfect watch that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Complete? No

I do have more watches than I need and few that I would like to have

Hear ya! What is on your list of “would like to haves”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
Glad to hear your journey is complete (at the moment). From your pics in the past I'm sure you have a killer collection. Enjoy!

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 19 September 2018, 10:37 PM   #7
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Thats actually a great feeling Steve. I soon hope to be there
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 11:01 PM   #8
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I recently have had this conversation with several close friends I’ve met on TRF. I have a hard-to-imagine sense of completeness in watch collecting. We’ve debated whether it’s boredom with the hobby, or the scarcity game and ridiculousness of the secondary market games caused by demand surge and/or supply constraints that has changed the tenor of the industry, or we truly have all we could want and our attention is moving on to new and different “things.”

In any event, for me personally, I’m in a place where there are no watches on my radar. I still look forward to seeing the 5270p in person, but it really will be a stretch that I would buy this watch on the first go around. I assume this watch will be a several year production run. If I’m right, I think at this price point and because it’s a dress watch that it will be possible to get it cheaper down the road than in the first batch of releases (case in point is the 5170p). If I’m wrong and it’s a one year run, well, then so be it. I’m happy, very happy, with my collection.

Interesting to note I am posting this thread in the Rolex section. Since my time here on TRF, I’ve been a Patek and Rolex guy. There were times when I owned more Pateks than Rolex. But what has happened to me, and I’ve read this by several others here on TRF, is that I came back to the Crown. My collection grew again as I had the good fortune to be able to add a few SS Rolex pieces, so I own more Rolex than Patek. And, my Patek collection has shrunk down to two.

So at the end of the day, my journey is complete. The only watches that would interest me now are ones not yet produced. A platinum Sub (if in a non-maxi case) and a platinum GMT. Both would grab my attention, but fortunately for my wallet and for my marriage, there is no decision to make in the foreseeable future.

Your collection is outstanding!
I agree with what you’re saying about the Pt Sub or GMT. My Patek journey is down to one, and it’s not even home, or in the rotation right now, along with my coveted 4 digit Daytona. My journey, I feel isn’t complete, due to future model possibilities, but I’ve definitely found my comfort level in...$ levels I’m comfortable with on my wrist, metals, size, bracelet preference, and colors as well.....Love the journey!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 11:18 PM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I don't know about complete but my interest is waning significantly. I can't find anything I want and have not tried already. I might actually drop down to one watch and wear it until next sihh/basel.
Old 19 September 2018, 11:31 PM   #10
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I don't know about complete but my interest is waning significantly. I can't find anything I want and have not tried already. I might actually drop down to one watch and wear it until next sihh/basel.

Down to one?? That would be a feat! You’re a better man than I.

And what will Basel 2019 look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Your collection is outstanding!

I agree with what you’re saying about the Pt Sub or GMT. My Patek journey is down to one, and it’s not even home, or in the rotation right now, along with my coveted 4 digit Daytona. My journey, I feel isn’t complete, due to future model possibilities, but I’ve definitely found my comfort level in...$ levels I’m comfortable with on my wrist, metals, size, bracelet preference, and colors as well.....Love the journey!

I love the journey, too. “The journey is the reward.” But now my journey is on to new things.

Meanwhile, I love following the journey of our forum’s members, especially the likes of yours! You have quality, style, and surprises! Awesome!!
Old 19 September 2018, 11:43 PM   #11
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I'm in a really good place with my collection, but I would be hesitant to use the word "complete."

Like Brian said, I do have more watches than I need, however. And as in the above post, my interest is waning as well...maybe some of that is due to the "changing tenor of the industry" (well put ), or maybe I've just been through a bunch of watches and am every increasingly finding it hard to see the value-or point-to another watch. And maybe some of that is changing tastes and/or some recent acquisitions that have blown me away. Heck, I found myself reaching for a Tudor over a 30k watch...is that crazy or what?

Anyway, that was a long, rambling statement to say if I'm not complete, I'm pretty darn close.

P.S. I do have a couple of watches on my radar. I'm going to try to pick one and then be "complete."
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 12:28 AM   #12
Helmi
"TRF" Member

As much as I am sad to hear a great collector loosing interest in the hobby, I also see your point and I feel I may reach this point down the road. Right now I am in the accumulation phase.

If I may ask, which 2 pateks you ended up keeping? And why you chose those 2 models particularly?
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 12:37 AM   #13
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
I'm almost there ;-)

It has been that way for 35 years. When I'm able to get the WG Sub or PP 5712 I'll declare Victory.
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 12:45 AM   #14
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Two things: sounds like you have a great collection and sounds like you’re done for now...not for good. If I had to place a bet I would bet you buy another watch. Who wants to place bets?? Over/under is .5 watches....
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 01:03 AM   #15
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
I feel ya’

After I bought the Platinum Daytona, there just hasn’t been anywhere to go really. I don’t really care for the styling of PP.......nice watches but just not my style. I love Rolex Sports watches.....but nothing really tickles my fancy anymore. A tribute watch with styling, dimensions, and lines of a vintage Sub or SD maybe.......I think I’m saving for a a Platinum DD 40 now......but that the only thing that really interests me. My enthusiasm waxes and wanes from time to time though. Definitely not really interested in selling anything though.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 01:06 AM   #16
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !

Quote:

Good for you Steve! Not complete by any means..... guess need to start buying powerball tickets and get lucky to get there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 01:08 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've been pretty settled with my core collection of Rolex, AP and PP, and don't really need to add another, the 5740 did garner my interest but I'd have to sell my 5711R really plus wait for a year or so and I'm not that interested in it for all that. However I have been looking at brands I used to own before again, and this year I've bought a VC Overseas, didn't last long, and looking at a BP FF, Linde Werdelin, and I'll be having a new look at PAM and IWC.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 01:09 AM   #18
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
It helps that you have a gorgeous collection.

Yes, one nice watch should be enough, but most of us wish for at least one more :)

I say I'll be happy when I have a daytona and the new pepsi, but I know there will be a next one.

Happy for you though!! Enjoy your gorgeous watches!
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 01:19 AM   #19
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Hi Stephen. I am at the same point in this watch game; I'm questioning myself if the collection is complete. My collection is more focused now that I know what watches I truly like. It took time and some costly mistakes along the way to figure out what truly sings to me.

I am focused mainly on Rolex and Patek. I have a group of SS Rolex watches that will be keepers since they are versatile and get lots of wrist time. I'm pretty happy with the Patek collection so I don't see myself adding anything new. I'm going to a Patek perpetual calendar event next week and looking forward to seeing the 5740 (this may change my mind :)).

Only have 3 watches on the wish list. Not in a hurry so okay waiting to get these at retail. SS BLRO, white dial daytona-C, and AP 15202st.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 01:33 AM   #20
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Yes my journey is complete as your’s is Steve:)

I have an incoming, deposit down but delivery has not started yet. expecting in November.
You might like to know, It will be my first platinum piece. :)

I would purchase a BLRO if it fell in my lap, but not pursuing.
And a steel Patek of different models could entice me but like your dreams of a platinum sub or gmt, they are not made yet.

The 5270P is an amazing watch however, I can’t wrap my head around the practicality of owning a perpetual calendar that requires winding?

Old 20 September 2018, 01:36 AM   #21
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Bravo Stephen! I agree with you, but I unfortunately do not yet feel "complete"! lol My guess 5270P will be available over time and will run for over a year (case in point see 5131P which is now second year). Rolex is KING but patek still a necessary evil and yes for me it is all discontinued references that I want. Best.
Old 20 September 2018, 01:41 AM   #22
descartes
"TRF" Member

I have been lucky to enjoy lots of cool pieces over the years, both modern and vintage... and the Platona has become sort of an exit watch for me when it comes to modern Rolexes.

But mostly, as the vintage market has become ridiculously bloated, and Rolex has manipulated (limited) demand on the new desirable pieces, I have become more focused on collecting watches that have a special meaning to me because of where, how or with whom I acquire the watch. I think of this as “experiential” collecting. Simply liking a watch and buying it from wherever I can get the best deal isn’t interesting enough anymore.

For example, I was in Rome last Spring with my daughters and visited a tiny little shop near the Vatican where I purchased a full set 16610 which was originally sold at a famous Italian AD located in the ghetto area that was responsible for bringing Rolex to Italy. That to me is way more cool and interesting than paying a gray dealer 2X retail just for the privilege of having the flavor of the moment.

Likewise, as another example, I was in Tokyo in the early summer and picked up a JDM Seiko PADI Diver with Japanese date wheeel. Not big money, but very cool piece and memorable acquisition. I wore it all summer.

This is the direction I’m going in. Experiential collecting.
Old 20 September 2018, 01:44 AM   #23
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:

Interesting post. As of now for me, it's not yet complete. When the day comes when I can't think of any watches that I want to own ( within my financial means ), then it's complete. Right now, I have more watches than I can wear/rotate but I still have two more in my radar, and one of them is the one in your avatar.
Old 20 September 2018, 01:54 AM   #24
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

23 posts and still not a single pic?
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:21 AM   #25
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
You've been on quite a journey with some amazing pieces. Can't blame ya for hitting the brakes a bit. I'm sure you enjoyed the ride
Old 20 September 2018, 02:23 AM   #26
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't say my journey is complete, but I am on pause for the time being when it comes to Rolex. I have toyed with re-acquiring a Milgauss that I sold foolishly a few years back, but otherwise I am very content with my stainless steel Rolex collection. The current market is also a huge deterrent for me. Would I consider a BLRO or something else if they weren't so difficult to obtain at MSRP, maybe.

I have also rounded out my Panerai collection with three solid pieces and feel no need to change much in that department.

What the current market situation has done is forced me to start to consider the elite brands that I've always had my eye on. I know that AP isn't coming down in price either, but if there isn't anything from Rolex that I "need" in my collection and I would either have to wait a year or shell out twice MSRP for something, I'd rather just purchase a Royal Oak.

I don't think my collection will ever stop growing, but I am very content at the moment.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:29 AM   #27
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I still have a list. So my journey marches on.....although this environment is really off putting and is definitely taking a lot of fun out of it all
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:30 AM   #28
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Like your post. I’ve been contemplating something similar.

I have 2 self-imposed limits - one, I want a small collection of 5-7 so that they will be worn and I can build some history with them; and two, I have given myself a hard cap that I am willing to spend on watches (at some point, I don’t feel like I can justify to myself spending more on watches). I have 5 watches that I love right now, and I’m below my spending limit. So I could see myself adding one or 2 more, but I’m in no rush and am loving what I have.

By the way, I’d love to see a picture of your collection if you have one handy.
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:31 AM   #29
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
1, that’s just ridiculous
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:42 AM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You have a great collection and a few “grails” by most standards. Happy to hear you’re feeling content

I have NO idea what I’m doing other than having fun with the few that I own, and chasing one or two that I’ve been eyeballing. I guess that puts me in the “not complete” camp
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote