The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 28 January 2011, 01:19 PM   #1
alettiere
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
AD vs TRF for first-time purchase.

Hey guys, I’ve been saving for my first (and only) Rolex purchase for a few months now and am about halfway there. After debating between a classic Sub and Sub-C , I have my heart set on the ceramic.

As I’ve gotten closer to being able to make my purchase, I’ve been dropping by a few ADs in my area to just “test the waters” and get a general idea of what I’ll be having to shell out cash-wise, as well as trying on the various watches that have sparked my interest.

It seems that prices on TRF are better when making comparisons to the AD. Not drastically better, but definitely more appealing. Unfortunately, when I talk “discounts” with the ADs, they offer nothing. In fact, they offer no real incentive for me to purchase other than the usual sales scare tactic about “prices going up next week” and discussing their financing option if I wanted to go that route instead of paying all at once (which is my preferred method). I find their refusal to mildly negotiate to be a little unusual, but have been told that unless you’re a regular, don’t expect to walk in and get any accommodations. Although, maybe the fact that I admit that I’m still in the process of saving and not showing up with the intent to purchase right then and there doesn’t give them the motivation to attempt to work with me.

It seems that TRF is the way to go if you’re wanting to get the best price, although I’m wondering, are there any disadvantages to this? If a seller is reputable and the price is right, why would I bother spending a little more at an AD? The warranty (provided it’s available) should still be intact and transferable, right? Does it really just boil down to not being able to run to the AD where I purchased it if problems were to arise?

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to purchase when I hit 7K – which seems doable when I frequently browse TRF. At a local AD in my area? Not so doable. Is it really worth the extra dollar to go with an AD and pay their full price? Hell, the sales tax alone makes me want to hurl!
alettiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:24 PM   #2
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Hi -
You can get a brand new Rolex...with your name on the card...from the trusted sellers here. All warranties are in place in any case. Any Rolex Service centre will service and deal with any Rolex watch..bought from an associated/attached AD or not.

If it were me - I'd go with the trusted sellers here..without doubt. I didn't on my 1st purchases..but have had 5 transactions since and saved a lot of money.

Sounds like you're well on your way to the SubC....!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Skip Greenwade
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many to List!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
Is it really worth the extra dollar to go with an AD and pay their full price?
Nope...I have never purchased from an AD and can't imagine a situation where I would. The last watch I bought was purchased from a seller here at TRF. I got an amazing deal on the watch, so much so that I was able to fly to LA to do the deal in person and still come out thousands of dollars ahead.

TRF For Sale Forum all the way

Best,
Skip
Skip Greenwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:38 PM   #4
alettiere
"TRF" Member

What's in it for some of these guys though? The regular sellers on here who have great reps and are constantly selling watches for good prices? How do they turn a profit? Do they just have THAT good of a connection with an AD to where they can acquire things for lower prices?
Old 28 January 2011, 01:39 PM   #5
tanndonn
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP II, 243, PO
Learn the trusted, reputable sellers here. Spend time in the sales forum educating yourself on who sells what and how often, you'll find some with what seem to be better selections than an AD. Don't be afraid to message people here who have purchased from the site.
tanndonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:41 PM   #6
m5blitzer

Watch: Enough is enough!!
I know I am going to swim against the waves in this crowd but my first Rolex (V serial DD II WG) was purchased from a local AD. Why?

I did the math and there was no appreciable savings going through one of the trusted sellers I was working with. It was a non brainer to get it locally after seeing the watch for myself.

With that said, if the difference is even 1% more at the AD, I will definitely go with a trusted seller because of their proven reputation here. So, do the math and make that call yourself.

Good luck!
m5blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:46 PM   #7
m5blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
What's in it for some of these guys though? The regular sellers on here who have great reps and are constantly selling watches for good prices? How do they turn a profit? Do they just have THAT good of a connection with an AD to where they can acquire things for lower prices?
This is why a free working economy is the perfect model for success.

SUPPLY (anywhere in the country) meets DEMAND (here on TRF) = a great deal for the lucky buyer.
Old 28 January 2011, 01:53 PM   #8
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Even if you are dealing with a trusted seller, there is more risk in the deal compared to purchasing from an AD.

If you don't want to take any chances with your $7K, and there is minimal price difference, an AD might make sense.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:58 PM   #9
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
If you've got cash in hand, I don't see how they can justify turning you down for a discount of 3% or whatever a credit card costs them, but in any case, I'd buy off the trusted sellers here rather than at an AD if I was buying new.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Xpert37

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Hi -
You can get a brand new Rolex...with your name on the card...from the trusted sellers here. All warranties are in place in any case. Any Rolex Service centre will service and deal with any Rolex watch..bought from an associated/attached AD or not.

If it were me - I'd go with the trusted sellers here..without doubt. I didn't on my 1st purchases..but have had 5 transactions since and saved a lot of money.

Sounds like you're well on your way to the SubC....!!!!
Just curious how you can buy a brand new Rolex from a trusted seller here with a warranty card stamped with your name and the name of the AD?? To me, a trusted seller of Rolex on this forum is a grey dealer (unless they are ADs themselves).

So can someone explain how you can get a valid warranty card from one of the trusted seller here? For Rolex, at least RSC NY only recognizes the watch's original owner. RSC Dallas is different however.
Xpert37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:10 PM   #11
indeuce
"TRF" Member

useful topic

i had the exact same question as the OP with regards to my first rolex purchase. both my GO and Sinn were purchased at AD's, though for the Sinn it was online.

i've been perusing the sales forum on here and at watchnet regularly for the last week or so and i have a good idea of who the more trusted sellers are, but they haven't been offering what i've been looking for: the 116000 with black/orange circles. i am hoping to get BNIB.

decisions decisions.
indeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:10 PM   #12
psv
"TRF" Member

I love doing business w/ the trusted TRF sellers but sometimes an AD can do even better price. I recently picked up a SubC at AD for less than I see it going for here.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:13 PM   #13
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Against the grain here too...

Your first Rolex should without a doubt be from an AD... go get the AD experience, the royal treatment, the champagne, the Thank you card........and on and on and on...

It is a great experience and just makes it all that more special IMO

YES, there are NUMEROUS great sellers here on TRF but save that for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th Rolex purchase and so on... trust me this will NOT be your "one and only". If you have already found TRF there will be many more
Old 28 January 2011, 02:17 PM   #14
m5blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post

YES, there are NUMEROUS great sellers here on TRF but save that for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th Rolex purchase and so on... trust me this will NOT be your "one and only". If you have already found TRF there will be many more
Yes, that crystal ball into the future is very predicable.
Old 28 January 2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
The only AD I'd ever buy from is called DavidSW.

Just my two cents.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:32 PM   #16
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

One more vote for the trusted sellers.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:35 PM   #17
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
It really comes down to one thing. Do you like money? If you like this substance called money (others call it other things such as but are not limited to: dough, moola, paper), then the answer is TRF sale board :)
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:39 PM   #18
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I use the trusted sellers. Part of the ad experience ought to be a discount especially given the current economy. Try shopping around with various ADs. Their attitude also changes when you tell them that you have the money with you and youre ready to buy that moment if you can get the right deal...

Some of the trusted sellers buy overstock from the ADs hence their ability to offer such great prices on watches with "open papers."
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:41 PM   #19
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I have bought at least a dozen watches from the trusted TRF sellers, I am just saying for your forst Rolex you should have the AD experience... you can get AMAZING discounts at AD's too
Old 28 January 2011, 02:44 PM   #20
jldc
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
You have to price the watch through TRF's sellers and through the AD. Be sure to add shipping, tax, etc so you are comparing apples to apples. Then you know that your new SubC (or whatever) will cost x from the AD and y from the trusted seller. Then you decide if the money saved is worth loosing the AD buying experience. In the end that's your decision and yours alone. Money saved vs loss of buying experience and minuscule risk of being cheated online. I've never had a problem with one of the trusted sellers but there is a certain "leap of faith" required with your first bank wire.

I have bought my Rolex watches only on TRF, but if the cost difference was negligible, I wouldn't hesitate to buy at an AD. I am going to Las Vegas next week and if I can find a green ceramic sub at list, shipped back to texas, I might buy it because they are going for very close to list here on TRF (although the prices are steadily dropping).

Buy the watch the way you are the happiest with, and wear it in good health. Good luck.

L
jldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:44 PM   #21
m5blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanger View Post
It really comes down to one thing. Do you like money? If you like this substance called money (others call it other things such as but are not limited to: dough, moola, paper), then the answer is TRF sale board :)
Unless there is no appreciable difference in price between the AD and the trusted seller (i.e my DD II WG). I had the opportunity to touch and feel (loupe) the watch before dropping a bundle. Enjoyed the face to face, no pressure sales by my AD. Was even tempted to spend time in their "cigar" room to dwell on my big decision over Black Label scotch, neat, or course.

But I do agree money talks and BS walks and in most cases, the trusted seller wins as their pricing is just incredible.
Old 28 January 2011, 02:48 PM   #22
dligg72
"TRF" Member

I bought my Sub C and Date just from my local AD. I cannot speak as to TRF. Personally I like the customer service I get with my local AD. I can always count on them removing or adding links, polishing and cleaning ect. Also it would just feel weird going in with a new Rolex purchased elsewhere. However my Local AD are very nice people the next closest one to me are cocky asses and I would rather buy somewhere else.
dligg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:51 PM   #23
bemik
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 Black
In my case, it was about availability.
A few hundred dollars were relatively insignificant when I was about to spend $10K+, and since I was looking for a SS Daytona, price didn't really differ that much whether I got it from an AD or TRF.

I searched nearby ADs for months trying to locate a SS Daytona in vain, and luckily I was able to find one here.

Since this was also my first purchase, I think I would have purchased from an AD if they had the stock.

But at the end of the day, I wanted the watch badly, no AD had it in stock, TRF did, and that's how I got the watch.
No regrets, excellent transaction, plus extra $$$ to spend on martinis!
Old 28 January 2011, 04:05 PM   #24
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
If you know what you want, find out what a Trusted seller would sell one to you for. Then hit the AD. You'll know the answer.

I have read about AD's discounting. That may be true for the more costly (i.e. watches w/gold) Rolex's. It may also be true for those that have multiple purchases w/the AD. As for me, I got no movement from list from any of the AD's I visited, none, zip, zero. I guess I just must rub them the wrong way.

So, my vote is go with the trusted seller here. For the cost savings that is.

For the folks that promote post service- for what I saved, I can pay for quite a few trips to the AD. And not to bash any AD, if I come in for a tweak on my Rolex, they should treat me with respect and grace- and I have no problem being charged a reasonable fee for what I need. I shouldn't be treated any worse than a customer that made a purchase.--- In fact, if it were my store, I'd treat "me" at least as nice so that maybe I can get the next buy out of me.
Old 28 January 2011, 04:56 PM   #25
alettiere
"TRF" Member

Has anyone ever played the TRF card at the AD? I'm curious as to what their responses are to justify purchasing from an AD. Does TRF get a bad rap from the ADs?

If I said, "Well, I can get a Sub-C for X amount of dollars at a TRF - so why should I purchase from you instead?" What would they say? That I run the risk of buying a fake?
Old 28 January 2011, 08:57 PM   #26
TRW
Banned

Watch: 16623 YM
Trusted Seller BNIB is the Route I would take.Good Luck
TRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 09:14 PM   #27
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:

Your first Rolex should without a doubt be from an AD... go get the AD experience, the royal treatment, the champagne, the Thank you card........and on and on and on...

It is a great experience and just makes it all that more special IMO

totally agree!

the AD experience is priceless (when you get a nice one that is), especially for your first Rolex. yes, the saving can be better from the trusted sellers, but the lack of face to face/being in a brick and mortar shop outweighs it.... imo of course.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 09:16 PM   #28
cjnesher
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkongkelley View Post

Just my two cents.
X 2!!!!!!!!!!! I bought my sub c from David. He was more knowledgeable then
Any AD I've visited in FL. We did a face to face and he adjusted
The bracelet on the spot. Can't wait to buy my next watch from him!!
Good luck on your journey. One thing is for sure, you're going to love
The Sub-C.
Old 28 January 2011, 09:18 PM   #29
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkongkelley View Post

Just my two cents.
you meant to say..... GD?

just my 2 pennies worth.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 11:05 PM   #30
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I hear this often, and I must be missing a responsive gene or something. I never feel ANYTHING when I'm paying someone to be nice to me... Not even for a moment do I think "Wow, champagne... They must really like me!". It seems so obvious..."I am overpaying by $XXX so they are dribbling $y back on me to numb the pain of overpayment... I am paying them to act friendly."

But then again, my wife has pointed out that I'm part of the .1% that dislikes lingerie, so I must be the oddball on this one too.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote