The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 September 2023, 07:27 PM   #1
HOD6IE
"TRF" Member

Rolex RSC St James, London - 16710 bezel insert swap - Recent experiences?

New member here!

I've recently acquired a 2006 Rolex GMT Master II ref 16710. The hang tag for the watch states 16710BLRO, indicating that it was originally a blue/red (pepsi) bezel, however the original owner opted to have the bezel swapped out for a black insert at the time of purchase in 2006 - This is indicated as such on the original receipt / documents.

I understand Rolex, St James RSC have historically offered a service whereby the bezel insert can be swapped out for a different colour (for a fee), paying a little more if you want to keep the original bezel. I've had some conflicting information on this lately so am looking to get recent feedback.

Ideally I'd like to swap to a red/black (Coke) insert and keep the current black insert should I wish to switch back in the future. Ideally I'd also like the red/blue (Pepsi) insert (given that matches the hang tag) but I understand I'm not able to acquire both at the same time?

I did call Rolex directly, but the lady I dealt with seemed a bit unsure of the current process, she advised that given the watch was originally a BLRO, that I could either replace the current black with a new black, or replace with a Pepsi insert, but that Rolex would have to keep the current black... changing to a coke was not an option apparently.

This information conflicts with numerous reports I've read of users swapping freely to any of the 3 available bezel inserts. Handing over my fat font serif black insert for a thin font RSC Pepsi doesn't sit well with me either...

I'm going to go to RSC direct and ask the question again at some point, as I suspect I may get a different response if I'm there in person?

Any recent feedback would be greatly appreciated :-)
HOD6IE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 07:40 PM   #2
karleone
"TRF" Member

I would advise you to go directly there. Do not mention that you have a hand tag mentioning BLRO. I am sure they should be able to provide you with the insert you want (and rerun yours for an additional 50% charge - that was the case back in 2018 when I swapped my pepsi for a new coke).
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 07:44 PM   #3
Harmon Rabb
"TRF" Member

The solution could be that you lost the old black insert somehow. Order a replacement from authorized Rolex service center. As the watch was sold new with the Pepsi bezel there really should not be any problems.

Otherwise just buy a Pepsi bezel from the second hand market that have some patina.
Harmon Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 08:03 PM   #4
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I took my 16710 to RSC St James in Feb 2023 and they swapped the bezel and the bracelet for me.

I wrote about it at the time here
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=890830
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 09:59 PM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Certainly not recent but back in 2008 I stopped by Rolex St. James to purchase a black/ burgundy insert for my 16710. They made the swap, allowed me to keep the pepsi insert, and the cost was about $40.00 USD.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 10:28 PM   #6
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Certainly not recent but back in 2008 I stopped by Rolex St. James to purchase a black/ burgundy insert for my 16710. They made the swap, allowed me to keep the pepsi insert, and the cost was about $40.00 USD.
dP
Same here back in 2019. The RSJ assistant "disappeared" for a while (possibly about 15 mins) with my watch (16710 from around 2007 with pepsi insert) before returning to advise me that it was "okay" for me to have a coke insert fitted. I got a real sense that he might have been checking other issues with it but who knows? In any event, he went away again (for about another 15 mins) and eventually came back with the coke insert fitted. I was allowed to keep the pepsi at an additional charge. I think it came in around £55 or so? Interesting experience!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 10:35 PM   #7
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOD6IE View Post
New member here!

I've recently acquired a 2006 Rolex GMT Master II ref 16710. The hang tag for the watch states 16710BLRO, indicating that it was originally a blue/red (pepsi) bezel, however the original owner opted to have the bezel swapped out for a black insert at the time of purchase in 2006 - This is indicated as such on the original receipt / documents.

I understand Rolex, St James RSC have historically offered a service whereby the bezel insert can be swapped out for a different colour (for a fee), paying a little more if you want to keep the original bezel. I've had some conflicting information on this lately so am looking to get recent feedback.

Ideally I'd like to swap to a red/black (Coke) insert and keep the current black insert should I wish to switch back in the future. Ideally I'd also like the red/blue (Pepsi) insert (given that matches the hang tag) but I understand I'm not able to acquire both at the same time?

I did call Rolex directly, but the lady I dealt with seemed a bit unsure of the current process, she advised that given the watch was originally a BLRO, that I could either replace the current black with a new black, or replace with a Pepsi insert, but that Rolex would have to keep the current black... changing to a coke was not an option apparently.

This information conflicts with numerous reports I've read of users swapping freely to any of the 3 available bezel inserts. Handing over my fat font serif black insert for a thin font RSC Pepsi doesn't sit well with me either...

I'm going to go to RSC direct and ask the question again at some point, as I suspect I may get a different response if I'm there in person?

Any recent feedback would be greatly appreciated :-)
Pretty sure on this bezel with aluminium insert they allow you to buy any/all inserts as you wish
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 10:40 PM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
Pretty sure on this bezel with aluminium insert they allow you to buy any/all inserts as you wish

As long as the insert color(s) were offered for that model in normal production. Inserts that were only offered on TT or PM models wouldn’t be provided for the SS model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 10:45 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
dP
Same for me Dan but much later around 2015 cost then £30,and it's a very easy to change insert yourself after a bit of practice.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 10:59 PM   #10
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I enquired about this about 6 weeks ago.

Do not mention any letters on original paperwork.

I was told that I could have the colour changed and, for an extra fee, keep the swapped out insert. It would cost the price of a new insert which I THINK was about £40, their minimum labour charge and a small charge for the returned insert. This all came to something around £130 or so.

Years ago they did the exchange and did not charge labour, now they do apparently! Years ago I was also given the swapped out insert in a small metal Rolex box.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 12:03 AM   #11
HOD6IE
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info thus far all :-)

Ratty, your suggestion of just pleading ignorance regarding the hang tag is likely the best option here, just received this response from Rolex via email:

"We kindly advise that if a component fitted to a timepiece is incorrect for model, then we would quote for a mandatory replacement to return the timepiece to its original specification; the correct bezel insert for model reference 16710BLRO is blue and red. We further advise that you would be unable to retain the original bezel insert as all components are replaced on a strict exchange basis."

HOD6IE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 12:25 AM   #12
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOD6IE View Post
Thanks for the info thus far all :-)

Ratty, your suggestion of just pleading ignorance regarding the hang tag is likely the best option here, just received this response from Rolex via email:

"We kindly advise that if a component fitted to a timepiece is incorrect for model, then we would quote for a mandatory replacement to return the timepiece to its original specification; the correct bezel insert for model reference 16710BLRO is blue and red. We further advise that you would be unable to retain the original bezel insert as all components are replaced on a strict exchange basis."

I don't just make this rubbish up you known!!

They changed the black insert for the red / black one for me years ago. Recently I thought about giving the red / blue insert a go, but I'm not interested enough to pay about £130 for the experiment bearing in mind I'm sure that I won't like it. I've always found the people at St James Square to be very reasonable and helpful, but it's sometimes best not to offer information if they don't ask for it.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 01:27 AM   #13
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
They’ll surely change it to whichever insert you want and as mentioned if the black one isn’t fitted at the time surely they’d supply the Pepsi insert
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 03:54 AM   #14
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
don't give up your black bezel and ask to keep it for a fee
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 05:52 AM   #15
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Modern Rolex cannot be trusted on this.

Pop the black bezel off at home before going in for a replacement.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 06:17 AM   #16
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
To switch the bezel and keep the old is about 130 quid. Rolex introduced a ‘fitting charge’ not long ago.

I have recently bought both Pepsi and Coke bezels for my LN 16710.

You can buy whatever bezel you like as long as you watch was not a LN by birth. Not dependent on what it says in the papers, but between the lugs.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 07:32 AM   #17
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
but it's sometimes best not to offer information if they don't ask for it.
This is always my policy for a multitude of things. If you can answer a question in one syllable or less, don't use two.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 08:58 AM   #18
Deppe
"TRF" Member

I was at my AD last week to have my insert changed from a coke to a Pepsi. They informed me, that they no longer sell the inserts they only swap them if the one you already have is damaged and only with that colour. Also, they are no longer changing the insert for customers - they did it for me anyways, but told me that in the future they may reject it.

I was told that this is a new Rolex policy, which makes sense as I bought the coke and Pepsi insert 4 months ago without any trouble. Anyways, I don’t know if this is the case with all AD’s, or if all AD’s will adhere to this policy.
Deppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 09:09 AM   #19
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
To switch the bezel and keep the old is about 130 quid. Rolex introduced a ‘fitting charge’ not long ago.

I have recently bought both Pepsi and Coke bezels for my LN 16710.

You can buy whatever bezel you like as long as you watch was not a LN by birth. Not dependent on what it says in the papers, but between the lugs.
Between the lugs there is only the serial number and 16710 or 16710T (for no holes cases).
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 10:36 AM   #20
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deppe View Post
I was at my AD last week to have my insert changed from a coke to a Pepsi. They informed me, that they no longer sell the inserts they only swap them if the one you already have is damaged and only with that colour. Also, they are no longer changing the insert for customers - they did it for me anyways, but told me that in the future they may reject it.

I was told that this is a new Rolex policy, which makes sense as I bought the coke and Pepsi insert 4 months ago without any trouble. Anyways, I don’t know if this is the case with all AD’s, or if all AD’s will adhere to this policy.

That is the AD’s new policy for Rolexes handed over to them.

The RSCs do changes if they have the one you want on hand, and if it is the appropriate insert for your model

Old 21 September 2023, 04:02 PM   #21
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiBezel View Post
Between the lugs there is only the serial number and 16710 or 16710T (for no holes cases).
Maybe I misunderstood what the technician said but that’s how it was explained to me. Perhaps it’s the serial they check.

Either way it all seems a bit random when they do it. Mine has LN all over the tag and paperwork and they’ve sold me a Coke and Pepsi bezel in the last 4 months. The only stipulation is that they have to fit the new one and you can only do one a day.

If you order through an AD it may be different.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 10:33 PM   #22
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Never had an issue. Just walk in, ask for a bezel swap and they usually say come back in 4 hours. Had mine changed in 2016 ish and it was very cheap and perhaps £20 extra to keep the original which was damaged but kept it anyway.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 12:49 PM   #23
mdwsta4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

The RSCs do changes if they have the one you want on hand, and if it is the appropriate insert for your model

Hi, just for clarification, if I went into Geary’s here in Santa Monica and asked them to swap out my faded 16700 Pepsi insert, they would? And I should also be able to keep the original insert?
mdwsta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 09:09 PM   #24
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

Not anymore. All 16710 inserts are on exchange and RSC can see which configuration it had from the factory. You'll not be able to obtain different colours through the official network anymore.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 10:33 PM   #25
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Not anymore. All 16710 inserts are on exchange and RSC can see which configuration it had from the factory. You'll not be able to obtain different colours through the official network anymore.

Thanks for that correction Bas.

I knew they wouldn’t do a color swap for those references that have a unique number like 16753 or 58 - but had a question.

Just to validate - neither RSC nor AD are allowed to exchange a bezel insert with a different color for any Rolex now? And would that also extend to DJ or DD dial swaps, too?

Old 25 October 2023, 11:38 PM   #26
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Thanks for that correction Bas.

I knew they wouldn’t do a color swap for those references that have a unique number like 16753 or 58 - but had a question.

Just to validate - neither RSC nor AD are allowed to exchange a bezel insert with a different color for any Rolex now? And would that also extend to DJ or DD dial swaps, too?

Correct, neither RSC nor AD are allowed to change a bezel colour.
Dial changes are still allowed if the watch is out of the warranty period.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 03:29 AM   #27
kegan
"TRF" Member

As an original purchaser of a 16710 I don’t really care that much about this only because I think the watch is great looking in any color and I bought it way more for function over form. However, when I purchased the watch it came with the option to change the insert to any one of the three colors. Not honoring that original policy is just another example of of latter day Rolex chicken shit behavior of not taking care of their customers and for what? I could give them grace on this if they could actually provide parts that are exact match of the original but as they mandate new policy from their high horse they can’t even do that.
kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 10:43 AM   #28
Pitbos
"TRF" Member

Rolex RSC St James, London - 16710 bezel insert swap - Recent experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

I wonder what will happen if a 16710 goes to RSC for servicing with a bezel color that is different than what it left the factory with. Will we be required to change it back to the original color it was born with?

I can only imagine the effect this policy is going to have on the secondary market prices of bezels.
Pitbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 11:08 AM   #29
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
My wife took my 16710 to our local AD on 22 October to have them change the black insert to a pepsi that I sourced from one of our trusted sellers. She was told that the ADs don't do this anymore, but suggested another local jeweler that will do it.

The SA told her this is new policy. He also commented that whenever he needs work done on his Rolex, he takes it to the other jeweler.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 11:13 AM   #30
kegan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbos View Post
I wonder what will happen if a 16710 goes to RSC for servicing with a bezel color that is different than what it left the factory with. Will we be required to change it back to the original color it was born with?

I can only imagine the effect this policy is going to have on the secondary market prices of bezels.
Yep. In my case if I were to send mine to an rsc they would confiscate the Pepsi they sold me.
kegan is offline   Reply With Quote