The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 16 July 2023, 08:46 PM   #1
messikens
"TRF" Member

Subdial (minutes) on Chrono keeps running but Chrono not engaged? Is this an issue?

Hi all,

Recently got a 43mm ROO but noticed one thing and wasn't sure if this warrants getting it checked out.
I noticed the minute subdial of the Chrono (i.e. the 9 o'clock sub-dial) keeps running even though the Chronograph itself (i.e. the seconds hand) is not engaged at all for any amount of time.

If I do a flyback it resets to zero but I am confused as to why it would just keep running.

Can someone tell me if this is expected? I couldn't really find anything online but I am doubtful it works as it should... just want to check before I head to the boutique.

Thanks
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 08:50 PM   #2
8bc8
"TRF" Member

Check PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8bc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 10:27 PM   #3
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

This is a systematic issue with that chrono movement. My ROO43mm taupe and my 26240st ROC both had the same issue. Both have the same movement.

Get it serviced. It’ll get fixed, but not ideal that it had to come to that.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 10:50 PM   #4
messikens
"TRF" Member

Wonderful... thanks for the feedback both!
You'd think for the amount of money AP charges they could invest in half the QA department that Rolex has... more than disappointed

I'm annoyed to already have to get an almost brand new watch serviced because of this :-/
Old 16 July 2023, 11:09 PM   #5
CactusTreeFiddy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bc8 View Post
Check PM

What did this PM say?
CactusTreeFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 11:19 PM   #6
messikens
"TRF" Member

Same as crispy
Old 16 July 2023, 11:22 PM   #7
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Known issue. Annoying but should be an easy fix. Reg. Rolex - given the 3235 issues that's not exactly a shining example.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2023, 12:10 AM   #8
Explorer82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Hi my ROO 43mm has exactly the same issue, especially when I am winding the watch, the chrono minutes hand just starts moving. Mine is also with AP now for service / new calibre.
Explorer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2023, 07:51 AM   #9
construda
"TRF" Member

Had same issue with my 26420, service took about 4 weeks and running flawlessly the last 4 months.
construda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2023, 09:52 AM   #10
dmash
"TRF" Member

Super common issue man

Mine is getting serviced now as well as it was running 30s fast daily. Hopefully the service knocks out whatever causes the sundial creep too. Mine was days old experiencing this
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2023, 10:34 AM   #11
messikens
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys appreciate all the feedback.

Really disappointing to hear that this is such a common occurrence for everyone who has a 26240 or 26420... you'd think with all the knowledge piled up this wouldn't occur to this extent.

I'll book an appointment with AP House and have them get it serviced... may express my displeasure while I am at it. I am not a super luxury buyer, so I tend to have a certain expectation of quality when stuff reaches 5 and 6 figures....
Old 17 July 2023, 10:36 AM   #12
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Yikes. In house isnt always easy nor best hence it took decades for some of these manufacturers to finally do it. I would be pretty dissatisfied
Old 17 July 2023, 05:56 PM   #13
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I don't get it. If it's a common known issue, how has AP not properly fixed it yet
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2023, 06:01 PM   #14
lucasalce
"TRF" Member

Inhouse chronograph is a hard thing to perfect.
I heard it takes a decade to fix all the bugs of a new "complicated" calibar.
lucasalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2023, 08:30 PM   #15
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Seems odd this is reported with ROC/ROO and not with Code 11.59.
At least I haven't seen a case with Code 11.59.
Movement was launched in 2019, so already in the 5th year one would expect these issues are being fixed.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 03:28 AM   #16
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
Seems odd this is reported with ROC/ROO and not with Code 11.59.
At least I haven't seen a case with Code 11.59.
Movement was launched in 2019, so already in the 5th year one would expect these issues are being fixed.

I agree... Again not complaining (too much) because I love the watch and the design but I mean in the words of keyshawn Johnson "come on man!"

For a trinket costing tens of thousands you'd expect AP would be able to churn out a movement that doesn't have obvious issues. It's not like a Chrono is a new function that's never been done before...?!?

It's just weird to be when on the hand a manufacturer of haute horology is able to produce a movement with 1000+ components and a bajillion functions (code universelle) and on the other hand then folks here make excuses that it's sooo difficult to produce an inhouse Chrono movement.

Like - which is it? And if it has such obvious issues it shouldn't hit retail given by the volume of members of this forum having the same problem

I have to stop thinking about this because the more I read replies the more I get annoyed
Old 18 July 2023, 06:19 AM   #17
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
I agree... Again not complaining (too much) because I love the watch and the design but I mean in the words of keyshawn Johnson "come on man!"

For a trinket costing tens of thousands you'd expect AP would be able to churn out a movement that doesn't have obvious issues. It's not like a Chrono is a new function that's never been done before...?!?

It's just weird to be when on the hand a manufacturer of haute horology is able to produce a movement with 1000+ components and a bajillion functions (code universelle) and on the other hand then folks here make excuses that it's sooo difficult to produce an inhouse Chrono movement.

Like - which is it? And if it has such obvious issues it shouldn't hit retail given by the volume of members of this forum having the same problem

I have to stop thinking about this because the more I read replies the more I get annoyed
I fully get your point. 5 years into production, the issues should have been resolved by now.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2023, 07:56 PM   #18
fishyball
"TRF" Member

I have the same issue with my taupe offshore. Just bought it less than 3 months ago...
fishyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 12:51 AM   #19
messikens
"TRF" Member

Got off the call with the house yesterday - definitely an issue and needs to be fixed...

Let's see how long it takes and when I can head in
Old 20 July 2023, 05:35 AM   #20
soupy
"TRF" Member

My blue 43mm ROO that I picked up in October also has this issue. It might've always been there but I might've just not noticed until I started reading so many posts about it both here and on Reddit. It's always a pain for me to make the hike up to NYC to visit the boutique, but luckily I need to take a flight for an upcoming trip from this pretty soon so at least it'll be in the way.
soupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 09:50 AM   #21
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy View Post
My blue 43mm ROO that I picked up in October also has this issue. It might've always been there but I might've just not noticed until I started reading so many posts about it both here and on Reddit. It's always a pain for me to make the hike up to NYC to visit the boutique, but luckily I need to take a flight for an upcoming trip from this pretty soon so at least it'll be in the way.
You realize you can just ring Clearwater and they'll overnight you a repair kit? There's no reason to wait for the right time to visit a boutique location, they're literally just going to take possession and send it to Clearwater themselves.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 03:21 AM   #22
construda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by construda View Post
Had same issue with my 26420, service took about 4 weeks and running flawlessly the last 4 months.
FFFFUUUUUDDDGGGGEEEE I was wearing my Offshore last night.. ran the chrono.. reset it and what do I see? Minute counter is creeping again. Looks like it is going back to Florida for Service #2 - for the same issue.
Old 28 July 2023, 03:39 AM   #23
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Have this movement in my ROO, Code, and ROC.

Same issue on my ROO but I just leave the chronograph running constantly and avoid the issue. Will likely send it back in for a free service at the 5y mark before warranty expires.

Don’t have the issue on the Code but watch runs 10+ seconds/day fast which is annoying.

No issues on the ROC and watch runs near perfect at +1-2 seconds/day fast.
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 05:34 AM   #24
TheHolyLuck
"TRF" Member

Discovered the exact same issue on my 10 months 26238ti …
TheHolyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 08:41 AM   #25
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Known issue. Annoying but should be an easy fix. Reg. Rolex - given the 3235 issues that's not exactly a shining example.
3225 with problems would be an improvement over most APs well functioning movements…out of sample of about 10 people with AP, none have well performing and accurate watches…
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 08:51 AM   #26
messikens
"TRF" Member

Can someone who's knowledgeable explain to me how happens from a gear perspective?

I mean it's a mechanical system... That's like saying it's a known issue that a BMW simultaneously drives in second AND third gear... Doesn't that mean someone has designed a crappy gearbox?

Old 28 July 2023, 11:59 AM   #27
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FFFFUUUUUDDDGGGGEEEE I was wearing my Offshore last night.. ran the chrono.. reset it and what do I see? Minute counter is creeping again. Looks like it is going back to Florida for Service #2 - for the same issue.
This doesn’t spark much confidence for me…
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 02:26 PM   #28
construda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
This doesn’t spark much confidence for me…
Ha. Me either
Old 28 July 2023, 03:33 PM   #29
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
My 2 months old 26240 got water in it, I only washed my hands and never used the pusher/unscrewed the crown.

AP quality is terrible nowadays. My vintage Rolexes have less issues.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 08:24 PM   #30
8bc8
"TRF" Member

Was able to speak with one of the watchmakers today. Apparently, the issue is caused by the minute subdial spring not having enough tension, which may cause the hand to keep progressing. This issue has since been addressed on recent production line models, so everyone receiving their watches with the caliber 4401 in recent months shouldn’t have this issue. Moreover, anyone who’s sent their watches in recently should have this new spring and therefore the issue won’t occur again. Hope this helps guys!

8bc8 is offline   Reply With Quote