The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 February 2022, 11:11 AM   #1
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Will Patek fight grey excess like they do with counterfeit?

Warning: perennial subject (Marronnier in French)

I think that in this forum we almost all tend to appreciate a healthy watch market (which includes some grey market).

But seeing these 2 pictures today, it symbolizes all the excesses of todays grey market and I cannot imagine that it provides a positive image.

Do you think that Patek is working on starting a hard fight against grey because these images are being the new normal are not positive for the industry image? (Like they did with the counterfeit market)

Source of the images: https://youtu.be/y09O8KkFUfk?t=561
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nautilus.jpg (222.2 KB, 906 views)
File Type: jpg aquanaut.jpg (140.8 KB, 904 views)
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 11:47 AM   #2
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Inappropriate touching. I can't look.
Old 22 February 2022, 11:49 AM   #3
wetsum3
"TRF" Member

That’s a shame for many reasons
wetsum3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 04:02 PM   #4
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Too close for comfort…
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 01:27 AM   #5
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

I don't know if this is related to the grey market issue, but I have been asked to take proof of ID with me to collect my new 5168G, that will be scanned to a "Patek database". I have not had to to do this with my previous two Patek purchases from the same AD. I'm fine to do this to show them they can trust me with popular pieces (that I will not flip them), but I do know that it can offend some customers.
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 01:29 AM   #6
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Are those photos of real or fakes?
Old 23 February 2022, 01:38 AM   #7
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post
I don't know if this is related to the grey market issue, but I have been asked to take proof of ID with me to collect my new 5168G, that will be scanned to a "Patek database". I have not had to to do this with my previous two Patek purchases from the same AD. I'm fine to do this to show them they can trust me with popular pieces (that I will not flip them), but I do know that it can offend some customers.
Interesting.

In some Asian countries, LVMH brands have been doing this for bags (Louis Vuitton, etc). Their aim was to limit the number of sells by Chinese (Mainlanders). I read that LVMH wanted to globalise this procedure.
This strategy is counteracted by flippers using paid "proxies".
Old 23 February 2022, 01:39 AM   #8
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Are those photos of real or fakes?
Real watches. Luxury Bazaar is a grey dealer.
Old 23 February 2022, 01:41 AM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

My take is that there is a reason why a lot of Patek ADs are no longer ADs, with a lot of them cut within the past couple of years. Patek has given ADs a lot of leeway in the past. But with the crazy secondary market, it is too tempting for ADs to make extra profit selling through the backdoor. The gray market exists because someone is sourcing the watches for them.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 02:56 AM   #10
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

I see pics like that and it reminds me that Nautilus/Aquanaut have been made by the thousands - most models for many years. Makes me laugh!
Hell, if I was a Gray Market dealer, I'd exploit the moronic hysteria around these models too. It won't last for ever...
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 03:28 AM   #11
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I got to say, these images never make me go: "Oh wow, look how crazy this guy is! This guy must be rich" (which what they want) ... or as kids these days go "Look how ballin' and fire" this guy is.

It honestly takes the uniqueness and pride out of owning a Patek. Looks like I walked into McDonalds and asked for Happy Meal and the guy behind the counter pulls out a bag full of toys and tells you to pick one like nothing.

This is just horrible presentation. Same goes for the storage case of 10+ white ceramic Daytonas.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 03:36 AM   #12
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post
A lot of SEA ADs want business card. It’s more of a verification process, but I suspect it’s to gauge whether the customer is worth investing in a long term relationship with. Different ADs around the world have different verification policy though.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 03:46 AM   #13
RHJ
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
I don't care at all about the prices, also MSRP will be always out of my reach.
But I suffer seeing dangled together such precious watches like this.
This is unrespectful towards art and craftsmanship
RHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 03:53 AM   #14
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
I see pics like that and it reminds me that Nautilus/Aquanaut have been made by the thousands - most models for many years. Makes me laugh!
Hell, if I was a Gray Market dealer, I'd exploit the moronic hysteria around these models too. It won't last for ever...
hard to say... Richard Mille makes more watches per year than Lange, yet RM watches are supposed to be super exclusive and rare...
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 03:53 AM   #15
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
This is just horrible presentation. Same goes for the storage case of 10+ white ceramic Daytonas.
To my understanding, these grey dealers want to show that they *own* their stock. (It also shows that watches are like potatoes for them...)

Because shady new dealers tend to only have pictures on their mobile phone/social media pages, zero stock but are part of whatsapp groups to quickly source a reference.
Some other dealers mainly have consignment pieces.
Old 23 February 2022, 03:53 AM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHJ View Post
But I suffer seeing dangled together such precious watches like this.
This is unrespectful towards art and craftsmanship
People like that only care about money.

This is what ruins hobbies
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 04:18 AM   #17
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post

I think that in this forum we almost all tend to appreciate a healthy watch market (which includes some grey market).

But seeing these 2 pictures today, it symbolizes all the excesses of todays grey market and I cannot imagine that it provides a positive image.

Do you think that Patek is working on starting a hard fight against grey because these images are being the new normal are not positive for the industry image? (Like they did with the counterfeit market)
Would it be a more "positive image" if PPs plummeted in value on the secondary market?

Say you could get hold of a 5711 in unworn condition for $2000 s/h, would PP & collectors prefer that situation?

Some people are never happy!
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 04:24 AM   #18
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Would it be a more "positive image" if PPs plummeted in value on the secondary market?

Say you could get hold of a 5711 in unworn condition for $2000 s/h, would PP & collectors prefer that situation?

Everyone wants an exclusive club that somehow only they are able to get into. Shut the gates behind me but let me in!
Old 23 February 2022, 04:30 AM   #19
VFA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And daytona hundreds of thousands.
VFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 05:20 AM   #20
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:

My main question had actually 2 dimensions:

A) Supply: PP has to supply watches to the collectors' wrists (not the flippers' drawers).
Official AD struggle daily to explain to angry collectors why they will not get watches, but the shop next door and the grey dealers can provide you everything with big stock.
Internet make this issue very visible (cf the 2 images)

B) Prices: If you browse WatchAnalytics, todays prices are obviously distorted and some references are doomed for a big correction.
But one of PP main mission is to "protect" the value retention of its watches. Fighting grey market could actually do the opposite and drive the prices down. PP would have to give good reasons to big collectors why their collection value decreased.
Old 23 February 2022, 06:46 AM   #21
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I do think if Patek, Rolex or AP wanted to solve this, they could have settled this. For a lot of this grey dealers they have a steady stream of supply from their network of ADs. Or else it is quite hard to accumulate so many watches of the same kind. Sure they are a few bad flippers out there, but think about it - how many 5711R or a 5167A will an AD sell to one flipper? If the AD does that, clearly they have some sort of involvement in the scheme. I think what the manufacturers should do is penalise the AD hard, set an example that if the AD is dishonest, their licence will be taken away.

https://youtu.be/nM536alZdAA

If you watch the above video (subtitled), the watch was unworn/uncut, and the booklet was even kept sealed in the plastic. May I ask if this is standard Patek Philippe practice? Or is this one unique AD who knew what they were doing exactly? Also the watch was sold in July 2021, and by September it has already been resold. 2 months
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 07:31 AM   #22
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quite a few dealers have changed their business model towards watch investing / buy and hold rather than ensuring high inventory turns at decent margins. Some will be left holding the bag...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 12:24 PM   #23
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Quite a few dealers have changed their business model towards watch investing / buy and hold rather than ensuring high inventory turns at decent margins. Some will be left holding the bag...
Don’t mind being a bag holder in this day and age…
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2022, 01:28 PM   #24
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

On his Youtube Roman Sharf says he sources his watches from all over the world notably the Middle East and Hong Kong/Tokyo.

It's kind of like the art market where borders are meaningless. Doesn't matter if it's in Tokyo or Mexico City.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 01:03 AM   #25
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Prices: If you browse WatchAnalytics, todays prices are obviously distorted and some references are doomed for a big correction.
But one of PP main mission is to "protect" the value retention of its watches. Fighting grey market could actually do the opposite and drive the prices down. PP would have to give good reasons to big collectors why their collection value decreased.
Your link to an Instagram page is devoid of any info on prices, and why is it that you claim "todays prices are obviously distorted and some references are doomed for a big correction"?

How could PP possibly "fight the grey market"? The grey market is completely outside PP's control.

Are you trying to talk the market down because you want to buy a steel Nautilus?
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 01:20 AM   #26
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Everyone wants an exclusive club that somehow only they are able to get into. Shut the gates behind me but let me in!
this*

People complain about prices and difficulty to get a watch. But most people WANT to get a certain watch because it is specifically hard to get and it's an achievement, as well as a showoff piece. Would you like that Nautilus just as much if you knew EVERYONE could get it? People would move onto other watches that were more difficult to get, and people would wish they were one of those too.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 01:32 AM   #27
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Your link to an Instagram page is devoid of any info on prices, and why is it that you claim "todays prices are obviously distorted and some references are doomed for a big correction"?
Because of the acceleration of the price increase in 2021 and even more in the beginning of 2022. It can be seen on almost all brands and models. Many models (AP, Rolex, PP, etc) saw a +20% YTD! I personally cannot imagine a total crash but a big correction would not be a surprise.

Remember that grey dealers work with a 10% margin. What would happen to many of them if the market crashes by 15%...
By putting pressure on 2nd market prices, manufactures could clean massively the grey market.

Quote:
Are you trying to talk the market down because you want to buy a steel Nautilus?
I am the kind of guy who will disregard something he loved only because now everybody loves it.

I love the Nautilus (I cannot hate them), now my eyes are on other pieces. :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wa.jpg (256.1 KB, 328 views)
Old 26 February 2022, 07:35 AM   #28
gqmagic
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Source of the images: https://youtu.be/y09O8KkFUfk?t=561

Bullshit posts like this should stay on YouTube and Instagram.

They just keep dragging this forum further into the gutter.
gqmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 09:08 AM   #29
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmagic View Post
Bullshit posts like this should stay on YouTube and Instagram.

They just keep dragging this forum further into the gutter.
Ok boomer. ;)

Why so much acrimony and hate in most of your posts about todays' Internet...

No offense, but you totally miss the point.

We like it or not, these actors (youtube/IG influencers, grey dealers/influencers, patekaholic, patekworld_, etc) massively influence what is happening today especially on a 60k units per year manufacturer.

They are one of the major root causes, PP needs to push the break for the Nautilus.

What is wrong for naively asking to the community if they see PP/Rolex/AP/Richemont and Co. taking measures against the grey market like they did with counterfeit. You know... maybe following what LVMH/Kering is currently doing...

Maybe you could give your point about projects you see probable (transition to some centralized online certificates/warranty cards, verticalization of the AD network, centralisation of the allocation process, controls about ownership, centralisation of ownership controlling, etc.).
Old 26 February 2022, 09:25 AM   #30
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
My take is that there is a reason why a lot of Patek ADs are no longer ADs, with a lot of them cut within the past couple of years. Patek has given ADs a lot of leeway in the past. But with the crazy secondary market, it is too tempting for ADs to make extra profit selling through the backdoor. The gray market exists because someone is sourcing the watches for them.
I talked to a former AD, recently.
Patek wanted him to up his inventory from $2 million to $10 million. This was pre covid, back when you could go into the store and find most models in stock.
When he did not agree to those terms, they cut him.

Unless he was selling to grays, there was no way they could turn that kind of inventory.
To the contrary I think Patek's policy has created more inventory for the grays.

Only your largest stores could handle this kind inventory I believe. (Present situation excluded, where every model has a buyer.)
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote