The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 June 2017, 01:27 PM   #1
schnipples24
"TRF" Member

Negative Experience with Anothernewphone

Well....I was hoping to give him the benefit of the doubt, but still no response days later so I feel it is time to make the post.

Purchased a 39mm explorer 1 from anothernewphone on Friday for 4050.00. Contacted him via email which then moved to text. We agreed on a deal and he shipped the watch next day delivery.

In the ad, watch is listed as in excellent condition with little noticeable wear.
The ad is listed below. As you can see the pics show a clean watch in what appears to be great shape.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=544772

What I received was FAR fromore that. Please see the link below for updated pictures of the watch. I will let you all come to your own conclusions.

http://imgur.com/a/WGPuf

He would only accept paypal gifted as he claimed regular paypal I could charge back. He has 3k posts so I felt pretty confident, I've done loads of transactions over on WUS.

I received the watch Saturday and within ten minutes of opening the package I was texting him asking for a refund due to the terrible condition of the watch.
It looks like it's been worn as a daily beater for years.

I've received absolutely no communication from him since he gave me the tracking # on saturday. I've reached out via email, texts, and even messaged him on Instagram.

At this point I just want my money back, I'm hoping he sees this thread and does the right thing and reaches out to me. If not then I hope this experience serves as a lesson learned to other people thinking about dealing with this less then subpar seller.

He has 3k posts and is very active so I hope he can make this right.
schnipples24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Based on the links provided, and compared to the ad copy, a talk with the seller is a good start to a resolution.

Hope both parties can come to a resolution.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Dan_lie
"TRF" Member

The sales pictures are definitely a misrepresentation lol, should have asked for more pictures.

I hope its resolved, good luck!
Dan_lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:51 PM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Certainly not on the same condition as the ad,keep trying to call I am sure it will work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 June 2017, 04:22 PM   #5
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I see your point 100%. Seems like the condition is no where near as advertised. Though the pictures weren't the best I would have expected better if I was purchasing a watch with that description.

Even more odd is that someone with that many posts here would just disappear. Hope seller is ok and that there was not some sort of medical emergency or something to the like. And that he responds and gets you squared away.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 04:42 PM   #6
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
This is precisely why I do not buy used watches or from anybody online. Too risky. Hope you get this resolved quickly.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 06:00 PM   #7
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Wow, that's a lot of wear for a 3 year old Rolex, he really worked it hard. The pics in the ad were rather misleading.
Old 28 June 2017, 06:16 PM   #8
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Just wow! Misleading it's not strong enough! That watch looks terrible. Obviously he's dodging you OP. Have you checked his activity here or send hm a PM?
Best of luck getting your money back. Also, looks like someone 'played' with the date on the warranty card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1714.JPG (150.9 KB, 2374 views)
Old 28 June 2017, 06:16 PM   #9
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Step up to the plate Bill.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 06:48 PM   #10
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Just wow! Misleading it's not strong enough! That watch looks terrible. Obviously he's dodging you OP. Have you checked his activity here or send hm a PM?
Best of luck getting your money back. Also, looks like someone 'played' with the date on the warranty card.
He hasn't been here since June 24.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 07:47 PM   #11
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
OP, hope it gets resolved but did you ask for more pictures?
No doubt that listing and your watch are the same. Just happens the one on the listing is done with different lighting and camera conditions than yours, and obviously way more favorable looking for the seller. As a former wedding photographer, I can tell you how I sold tons of pictures of heavy people by making them look slim with a wide angle lens and staying away from close ups. Point being photos are deceiving as in your case.

That said, no doubt the condition is not as described. That watch went through a war zone. Hopefully the seller is just out of town and will address your valid concern.
Old 28 June 2017, 08:55 PM   #12
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
OP, hope it gets resolved but did you ask for more pictures?
No doubt that listing and your watch are the same. Just happens the one on the listing is done with different lighting and camera conditions than yours, and obviously way more favorable looking for the seller. As a former wedding photographer, I can tell you how I sold tons of pictures of heavy people by making them look slim with a wide angle lens and staying away from close ups. Point being photos are deceiving as in your case.

That said, no doubt the condition is not as described. That watch went through a war zone. Hopefully the seller is just out of town and will address your valid concern.
Excellent analysis. The ad has more favorable angles and lighting, which hide wear very well, but I can still see daily wear in the ad photos. The ad image of the clasp shows quite a bit of wear.

There isn't a standard for condition grading. One guy's excellent is another guy's good. And he says it was worn in rotation. I would have wanted to see some pictures taken with a strobe or other harsh lighting to assess the actual condition of the watch.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 09:52 PM   #13
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Sorry to hear about this. Hope it gets resolved soon.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:55 PM   #14
drifter01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Air-King
At the risk of raising ire or looking like a shill, the watch doesn't look that much different from original ad photos. When I first saw the photos in the ad link I thought "Wow, That's in bad shape". Granted the description doesn't mach the watch, but it doesn't match his original photos either.And I would never buy something via Paypal gift.

Dave
Ace of Clubs
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." - Hunter S. Thompson
drifter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 11:09 PM   #15
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

"Excellent shape with little noticeable wear." This description is misleading. Seller owes you a call.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 11:10 PM   #16
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

I hope you are able to reach him or get Paypal involved somehow, is there a return address on the package ?

is the watch condition good though, running well, no dents or anything else like that ? maybe it sucks and you were misleading but if you get it polish and it will looks new.
Best of luck !
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 11:34 PM   #17
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I hope the seller responds and you guys can come to an amicable resolution. The ad photos are bad, but the description is certainly misleading.

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 11:36 PM   #18
schnipples24
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, thank you all the support.
I will admit I've become too complacent buying watches lately. It seemed like a trusted member with 3K posts, I wasn't worried something like this could happen.

Regarding the Friends and Family payment, he said he wouldn't accept normal form of paypal due to the fact I could do a chargeback and scam him..the only way he would accept payment was gifted or through bank wire. Trust me I was willing to pay the fees.

He lives only a couple hours away, at this point I just hope everything is ok with him. To be so involved in the community, and then go completely dark, seems so bizarre.

The watch runs well, so it wasn't a complete loss...however I would not have paid close to the 4k if I knew the true condition it was in.
Also the watch is in worse condition then I am able to capture, I only have my shitty cell phone pics. The bezel is wrecked, the watch is pretty much one big scratch.

drifter01 - you do not sound like a shill at all, just offering your perspective on the matter which I appreciate. Looking at the original ad though, I really do not see that much wear, only on the clasp.

I hope he resurfaces soon and can make this right. If he is able to refund me I will gladly send back the watch on my own dime, and will take down this thread if he takes care of the situation.
Old 29 June 2017, 12:04 AM   #19
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

OP, the listing photo, if zoomed in, shows lower bezel wear, as well as clasp wear.
Doesn't look as bad as your photo due to your use of flash and the angle you chose (flat, straight on), whereas his is angled, with lower, 6 o'clock side closer to lens and 12 o'clock further from lens, with no flash that can highlight defects on SS. This creates an optical illusion effect, slightly blurring background 12 o'clock side).

Clearly you are right in that the photos and the description do not match but that is definitely the same watch, creatively captured, either by intent or not. This is an excellent thread for many to learn from that not of all captured on film is what it appears.

Again, I hope it can be resolved for you. Please update when possible.
Old 29 June 2017, 12:16 AM   #20
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Best of luck. This is why I'm willing to spend a few bucks more to buy from a Trusted Seller.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:29 AM   #21
schnipples24
"TRF" Member

123Blueface - Thank you for the evaluation.

I actually did not use flash in any of my photos. I did not want to exaggerate the wear.
I have no doubt that the watches are the same, I am just disappointed that he listed it in excellent condition with little wear, and the pictures seemed to reflect that. And now he has completely cut off communication since I received the watch. Seems pretty fishy. If I ever sell a watch, I will at least send out a communication to the buyer to make sure it was received and everything was kosher. There has been no followup from him at all.

Your points are all correct, all of the photos he provided in the ad all are taken in certain ways to hide all of the wear. The high polish and certain angles makes it easy to mask the scratches. But there is no way you can hold this watch in your hand and say it is in excellent condition, it is chewed up and looks like it was run over by a lawn mower.
Old 29 June 2017, 12:41 AM   #22
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Thats nasty indeed, and to be honest, you will not see or hear from him again, i'm afraid.

So, in that case, here is a link to a polishing movie on YT, because i think you can fix some of those scratches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNwxRXvh-P4
Yzord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:41 AM   #23
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnipples24 View Post
123Blueface - Thank you for the evaluation.

I actually did not use flash in any of my photos. I did not want to exaggerate the wear.
I have no doubt that the watches are the same, I am just disappointed that he listed it in excellent condition with little wear, and the pictures seemed to reflect that. And now he has completely cut off communication since I received the watch. Seems pretty fishy. If I ever sell a watch, I will at least send out a communication to the buyer to make sure it was received and everything was kosher. There has been no followup from him at all.

Your points are all correct, all of the photos he provided in the ad all are taken in certain ways to hide all of the wear. The high polish and certain angles makes it easy to mask the scratches. But there is no way you can hold this watch in your hand and say it is in excellent condition, it is chewed up and looks like it was run over by a lawn mower.
Totally agree.
Not even a blind person would agree with seller's interpretation of condition.
Hopefully seller will resurface and do a refund.
Worse case scenario, hopefully not the only outcome, loss is limited to a bezel replacement and a professional service/polish. A positive way out of it is to envision an approximate $1,000 loss as opposed to losing every last dollar.

Regardless, man I feel for you.
Old 29 June 2017, 01:38 AM   #24
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
Thats nasty indeed, and to be honest, you will not see or hear from him again, i'm afraid.

So, in that case, here is a link to a polishing movie on YT, because i think you can fix some of those scratches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNwxRXvh-P4
Bold prediction. I think the the seller has enough presence on the forum to feel compelled to take action.

OP, the bezel looks like there are a few very deep gouges... is that the case?
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:44 AM   #25
schnipples24
"TRF" Member

cda555 - I am hoping that is the case. We shall see. I am thinking maybe hes on vacation or something. The bezel definitely has some deeper scratches then just minor surface scuffs.

123blueface - that is a positive way to look at it, thank you for the kind words. I think at this point I would probably just sell it at a loss to move on from this whole debacle before I invest any more money into it. I will probably give it another week or two to see if he resurfaces before I decide on how I want to proceed in regards to either selling or refinishing.
Old 29 June 2017, 01:59 AM   #26
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

With my background in photography and my expertise in watch repair, I'd say his photos do a good job hiding the scratches and your photos do a good job exaggerating them. As for the watch, even a quick refinish would probably bring it back to like new condition. I don't really see any dings or dents, just surface scratches. Seller should at least offer to compensate for a refinish or something. Days with no reply is not cool. This is a simple fix.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:08 AM   #27
tommy91
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't dream of selling a watch using his words and pictures based on the piece he sent you, i would be ashamed.
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 05:11 AM   #28
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Bold prediction. I think the the seller has enough presence on the forum to feel compelled to take action.
Hate to say it but I'm inclined to agree with Yzord here.

This isn't just an minor issue with a watch based on 2 people having slightly different views on condition.

I would be very surprised if this seller hasn't deliberately set out to mislead knowing full well any buyer wouldn't be happy considering the pictures he used and the description of "excellent shape with little noticeable wear". Yes the seller has a large presence on this forum but from what I can see has no history of selling watches and isn't a dealer so why would he care about a negative review. He has his money.

I really do hope I'm wrong but it's not looking good

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 05:16 AM   #29
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Wow, that's definitely not what he described. I do a lot of photography and I agree with Valenciawatchrepair in that his photos hide while your photos are probably a little more accentuated than what most people would typical see but I think that the "shadiness" falls squarely on the seller.

I too think that a professionally done refinish would do the job. IMHO, I think if the seller offer to pay 2/3's of the cost of the refinish, that would make it right. Unless you're one of those fanatical "never refinish!" types in which case, a full refund would probably be the better route. :)

Hopefully he mans up and gets in touch with you.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 05:30 AM   #30
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter01 View Post
When I first saw the photos in the ad link I thought "Wow, That's in bad shape".
You have got to be joking... He played the angles/light. It's definitely not noticeable in his pictures.

Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote