The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 October 2017, 03:53 PM   #1
SS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15202-ST
AP15202ST vs. Rolex DD40 YG

Good day Gents

So a few months ago i deliberated over timepieces, i was in the market for something that would mark the crossover from my usual mid-range piece to a high-end piece. I ended up going with the 15202st, which i decided on as being most complete choice at the time. The two options that made it to my final list were 15202ST and Rolex DD40 YG. Guess what, i still seem to have an itch for the DD40.

Would you have a look at both pieces on me, and give opinions on everything which in you'd personally consider to be the pros and cons of flipping the 15202 for the DD40.

SS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 04:11 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the DD doesn't do anything for me. It looks like a dressed up sports watch. For me if i wanted a dressy piece i would go ALS or PP so the Rolex DD would never be on my radar. I like their other watches a lot, but i just don't get the DD.

The AP is a sports watch. It can pull double duty with a suit so its more versatile to me.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 04:15 PM   #3
SS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the DD doesn't do anything for me. It looks like a dressed up sports watch. For me if i wanted a dressy piece i would go ALS or PP so the Rolex DD would never be on my radar. I like their other watches a lot, but i just don't get the DD.

The AP is a sports watch. It can pull double duty with a suit so its more versatile to me.
Your advice in the previous posts actually played a big part in my final decision. Do you/others view the DD as dress? I consider it to be more sports.
Old 19 October 2017, 04:19 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
Your advice in the previous posts actually played a big part in my final decision. Do you/others view the DD as dress? I consider it to be more sports.
i don't view it as a dress watch, but that is the usual situation where a lot of people wear it (to work in a business environment with a suit). Im just saying it looks out of place with shorts and a t shirt so it isn't a pure sports watch either.

I do think the DD is a watch that other people will be more impressed with no doubt, but the AP is usually a piece that the wearer is more impressed with as the finishing and details are not apparent to anyone else.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 19 October 2017, 04:19 PM   #5
Totoro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PloProf
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I got the 15202st last year and have a strong itch for the DD40 YG. The AP will hold value better and sell easier down the road. But the DD I actually see myself wearing more often. As it is a Rolex and feels more robust. I find it would go with anything. A watch I'd keep for life.

I know I'll regret selling the AP though. Only option is to save up and add the DD. I'd have to flip my DSSD and YM for it. 2 weak sellers on the secondary market. I love both AP and DD too much. I feel your pain OP.

The problem with picking out a DD is all the great dial options. I'm leaning towards Roman on champagne or silver diagonal motif. Took a pic of them couple weeks back while at the dealer. They didn't have the silver to compare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171007_171210~01.jpg (136.8 KB, 539 views)
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 04:26 PM   #6
SS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek5296 View Post
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I got the 15202st last year and have a strong itch for the DD40 YG. The AP will hold value better and sell easier down the road. But the DD I actually see myself wearing more often. As it is a Rolex and feels more robust. I find it would go with anything. A watch I'd keep for life.

I know I'll regret selling the AP though. Only option is to save up and add the DD. I'd have to flip my DSSD and YM for it. 2 weak sellers on the secondary market. I love both AP and DD too much. I feel your pain OP.

The problem with picking out a DD is all the great dial options. I'm leaning towards Roman on champagne or silver diagonal motif. Took a pic of them couple weeks back while at the dealer. They didn't have the silver to compare.
Im glad to know that you feel my exact pain here. When i look at my AP i smile. It looks and feels great on the wrist, but im very conscious and cautious because its has a delicacy to it. I totally agree with your comments on the DD and also agree that the best option is to have both. I just dont think i want to own both at the moment because they wont get enough wrist time. The champagne with romans is IMO the best dial combination for DD hands down. Id get the DD from a grey dealer who has provisionally offered me close to 20k for the 15202, bare in mind that ive only worn it a few times, ive only had it for 2/3 months at most.
Old 19 October 2017, 04:42 PM   #7
SS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i don't view it as a dress watch, but that is the usual situation where a lot of people wear it (to work in a business environment with a suit). Im just saying it looks out of place with shorts and a t shirt so it isn't a pure sports watch either.

I do think the DD is a watch that other people will be more impressed with no doubt, but the AP is usually a piece that the wearer is more impressed with as the finishing and details are not apparent to anyone else.
True that this particular AP is a watch more for the owner and to be fair, anyone else with an appreciation for these things .
Old 19 October 2017, 05:26 PM   #8
Totoro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PloProf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
Im glad to know that you feel my exact pain here. When i look at my AP i smile. It looks and feels great on the wrist, but im very conscious and cautious because its has a delicacy to it. I totally agree with your comments on the DD and also agree that the best option is to have both. I just dont think i want to own both at the moment because they wont get enough wrist time. The champagne with romans is IMO the best dial combination for DD hands down. Id get the DD from a grey dealer who has provisionally offered me close to 20k for the 15202, bare in mind that ive only worn it a few times, ive only had it for 2/3 months at most.
I'm thinking the same thing. The AP is amazing and the bracelet is the best in the business but that DD President bracelet is also incredible. I would love to be down to one watch only with the DD. But I'm afraid I'd become a target when I travel. No one bats an eye at my AP no matter where I go. The DD will definitely draw attention and sometimes unwanted attention.

I'm like you, I also feel bad when a nice watch doesn't get enough wrist time. I wanted my wife to wear my AP so I could justify owning both. But her wrists are too small with AP lug overhang.

The only solution would be to buy the DD and stop coming to TRF haha.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 05:48 PM   #9
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
AP15202ST vs. Rolex DD40 YG

From all the watches at an AD only the 15202 has impressed my girlfriend so that she still remembers it 8 months later. Not so much DD (too much bling). She was totally new to watches so it was unbiased. I didn’t go for it because I wanted more of a tool watch and got me a GMT WG which I’m happy with. She’s not that much impressed about the GMT either but I’m okay with that.
Just a data point to your picture of the word.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 05:54 PM   #10
peterpl
Banned

Out of those I'd choose the DD40.

It is a beautiful watch and the president bracelet is as good as and comfy as the AP bracelet. I personally think the DD looks more of a special piece and after 12 months of use I would almost gaurantee the AP wont look that good anymore.

I love AP but these are scratch magnets and once they get dinged up they look quite cheap. My opinion and hence why i buy only ceramic bezel APs like the 44. The DD40 will hide dings and scratches much better than the AP.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 05:59 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
I personally think the DD looks more of a special piece and after 12 months of use I would almost gaurantee the AP wont look that good anymore.
I would post my 15400 pics but i don't take nearly as good of pics as Ken. His 15202 is in RG and much softer than SS. Thats all the proof you need that they look good over time.

Judging by the amount of pics on here, clearly its worn all the time and not a safe queen.
Old 19 October 2017, 06:05 PM   #12
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
I would post my 15400 pics but i don't take nearly as good of pics as Ken. His 15202 is in RG and much softer than SS. Thats all the proof you need that they look good over time.

Judging by the amount of pics on here, clearly its worn all the time and not a safe queen.
Of course you can wear it and be "extremely" careful which I am mostly but even then accidental hits happen.

Maybe some guys like the bezel and bracelets scratched up etc....but personally I like my watches looking pristine. Don't get me wrong AP is a good watch but I'm just highlighting that it can be a scratch magnet.
Old 19 October 2017, 06:47 PM   #13
malb85
"TRF" Member

Funnily enough, I've been debating flipping my YG 36mm DD for a 15300, but I can't bring myself to decide between the 2. I have a love/hate relationship with the DD but it's the one watch in my collection I can hand down to my daughter which is putting me off flipping it.

To conclude, the only sensible option is to buy both!
malb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 07:11 PM   #14
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:

Of course Tyler! All of my RO's are perfect and all are worn like I wear any of my other watches.

Quote:
Of course you can wear it and be "extremely" careful which I am mostly but even then accidental hits happen.

Maybe some guys like the bezel and bracelets scratched up etc....but personally I like my watches looking pristine. Don't get me wrong AP is a good watch but I'm just highlighting that it can be a scratch magnet.
Sorry you are flat out wrong and your guarantee above is empty. I am not extremely careful I just am not reckless. I speak from actual long term ownership and not pure speculation.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 07:20 PM   #15
HL65

PS to the OP keep your 15202 as it is a special watch and one that is becoming quite hard to get these days. The DD is nice but nowhere near as special. You can pick one up any day of the week which is not the case with the 15202. The bracelet on the 15202 is the very best in the business and nothing comes close IMHO.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 19 October 2017, 07:26 PM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

even with the Rolex shortage in the UK, i can walk into any AD and find pretty much any DD i want available and on display every time. If i want a SS 15202 ill be waiting at a minimum of a year, probably more. That isn't a knock on the DD, just showing its nowhere near as special.
Old 19 October 2017, 07:45 PM   #17
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek5296 View Post
I'm thinking the same thing. The AP is amazing and the bracelet is the best in the business but that DD President bracelet is also incredible. I would love to be down to one watch only with the DD. But I'm afraid I'd become a target when I travel. No one bats an eye at my AP no matter where I go. The DD will definitely draw attention and sometimes unwanted attention.

I'm like you, I also feel bad when a nice watch doesn't get enough wrist time. I wanted my wife to wear my AP so I could justify owning both. But her wrists are too small with AP lug overhang.

The only solution would be to buy the DD and stop coming to TRF haha.
A target for traveling with a YG Rolex? Nah no one will ever notice what you have if you want to impress people, and that includes muggers, the DD is the way to go, if you want to impress yourself then any AP or PP is a much better choice.
About scratches and such if you are a minimum careful you should be ok, I did get a few hairlines on the bezels of 2 PP but I didn’t take them off to play with my Amstaff pup, so his teeth or claws did happen to encounter the brushed bezels, happens...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 07:55 PM   #18
OP15
"TRF" Member

Very different watches. AP is understated, YG Rolex is definitely not. If you love them both, there's definitely room in a collection for both. I would not get rid of the 15202.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 08:16 PM   #19
peterpl
Banned

@HL65 - mate for your watches to look like that believe me you are careful when you wear them. Are they daily wearers?

Also depends on your lifestyle. Does the 65 represent your birth year? If so then you are considerably older than me like by 30 years so our level of big nights and partying would be worlds apart. I damaged my 42mm ROO in the bezel numerous times just going out on the red wines (admittedly got a bit wasted) but the next day was painful when I realised what I did.
Old 19 October 2017, 08:20 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
@HL65 - mate for your watches to look like that believe me you are careful when you wear them. Are they daily wearers?

Also depends on your lifestyle. Does the 65 represent your birth year? If so then you are considerably older than me like by 30 years so our level of big nights and partying would be worlds apart. I damaged my 42mm ROO in the bezel numerous times just going out on the red wines (admittedly got a bit wasted) but the next day was painful when I realised what I did.
mine represents my birth year... so its not age related. Two kids under the age of 5 isn't the most careful environment for watches. Mine look new still.

normal wearing is fine. If you want a watch for spelunking, thats a different story.

Congrats on completing step 1 of the program, step 8 is apologizing to your watch
Old 19 October 2017, 08:24 PM   #21
HL65

Quote:

Yes they are daily wearers and I am no more careful than when I have a Rolex Sub or GMT on my wrist. I have owned many watches over the years and AP is no more of a scratch magnet than any others I own including many DD’s which you would know if you have seen my posts over the years. Again I am simply not reckless not “extremely careful” as you proposed. It’s one thing to prefer a DD over a 15202 but another to make claims that are simply incorrect.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 19 October 2017, 08:25 PM   #22
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think that they are both nice watches but I prefer the looks of the DD. It is an iconic watch in the Rolex line-up and could very easily be a lifetime piece. What ever I own would have to be worn a lot to enjoy for the amount of money committed.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 08:28 PM   #23
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
It’s one thing to prefer a DD over a 15202 but another to make claims that are simply incorrect.
Whats incorrect? My posts are from personal experience. I used to own the 42mm Panda and I still own a DD40. One of the reasons why I flipped it is because for my active lifestyle it wasn't suitable. I cant wait 6 months for APSC to refinish the watch everytime i get annoyed.

No incorrect information here mate. Its real life experiences. You have yours and I have mine. Nothing more nothing less.

To me and a few mates our APs are scratched to the crap. So it does make it look cheap in my eyes when they are banged up.
Old 19 October 2017, 08:32 PM   #24
HL65

Quote:
Whats incorrect? My posts are from personal experience. I used to own the 42mm Panda and I still own a DD40.

No incorrect information here mate. Its real life experiences. You have yours and I have mine. Nothing more nothing less.
An ROO is not an RO. It is clearly a much bigger and thicker watch which would be more prone to getting banged or nicked due to how it sits on the wrist. So yes my experience is based on actual ROYAL OAK ownership not assumptions.

PS Lots of RO owners here who have owned them for years and they all look great. Just have a look at the WRUW thread and see for yourself. I also don’t go out and party nor get drunk. My friends don’t either so perhaps lay off the booze and your scratches will dissipate...Just a thought.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 19 October 2017, 08:33 PM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whats incorrect? My posts are from personal experience. I used to own the 42mm Panda and I still own a DD40. One of the reasons why I flipped it is because for my active lifestyle it wasn't suitable. I cant wait 6 months for APSC to refinish the watch everytime i get annoyed.

To me and a few mates our APs are scratched to the crap. So it does make it look cheap in my eyes when they are banged up.
chemistry and science would disagree. You can't compare gold to steel and ever say gold is more durable from a wear and tear prospective.

Unless you opt for the creation of the mad scientists over at Hublot with their development of "Magic Gold"
Old 19 October 2017, 08:34 PM   #26
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Congrats on completing step 1 of the program, step 8 is apologizing to your watch
Hahahaha....honestly though I go crazy over scratches especially to the bezel. Your eyes continuously focus on it.

I try to buy ceramic bezels now or fluted for Rolex (as smooth bezel Rolex's also scratch like crazy but easy to polish out).
Old 19 October 2017, 08:36 PM   #27
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
So yes my experience is based on actual ROYAL OAK ownership not assumptions.
No assumptions here as I used to own a AP15400 which I part traded for a Rose Gold Skydweller last year.

That is your assumption that I have never owned a Royal Oak. The above is just an example to get the point across. Either way doesnt matter. Your watches look pristine and obviously you look after them.

I'm just sharing my experience. Not everyone is going to like it or agree but its the truth from me.
Old 19 October 2017, 08:45 PM   #28
HL65

Quote:
No assumptions here as I used to own a AP15400 which I part traded for a Rose Gold Skydweller last year.

That is your assumption that I have never owned a Royal Oak. The above is just an example to get the point across. Either way doesnt matter. Your watches look pristine and obviously you look after them.

I'm just sharing my experience. Not everyone is going to like it or agree but its the truth from me.
Love to see some pics of it. Also you only mentioned the Panda above not the 15400? Lastly wait 6 months for APSC to refinish a watch? I have owned dozens of AP’s over the years and the longest I ever waited for a full service from APSC was 6 weeks. Most have been completed in 4 weeks which is one of the reasons I love AP. They have the best service of any watch I have ever owned bar none.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 19 October 2017, 09:08 PM   #29
tng11
"TRF" Member

Two totally different watches. The 15202 is more unique, low key and is becoming hard to attain these days. The DD simply does not turn my crank - it's way too flashy for my lifestyle and I'm not a fan of the President bracelet design. And you can walk into any Rolex AD in the world and pick one up at any time, or buy secondhand at a substantial discount. Can't say that about the 15202 these days.

It is simply not true that the 15202 will show more wear. With most of the surface being brushed, and being in steel, it will show scratches a lot less than polished surfaces in gold, which is softer than SS. The slim profile of the 15202 and perfect conformity to my wrist makes it a lot harder to scratch than a ROO or 15400 for me. I've worn mine approximately 50 times and it is still in like new condition. Can't say the same about my SS Rolex with polished links that I've worn only half a dozen times.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 09:08 PM   #30
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Love to see some pics of it. Also you only mentioned the Panda above not the 15400? Lastly wait 6 months for APSC to refinish a watch? I have owned dozens of AP’s over the years and the longest I ever waited for a full service from APSC was 6 weeks. Most have been completed in 4 weeks which is one of the reasons I love AP. They have the best service of any watch I have ever owned bar none.
Very true. I’ve actually been to AP Clearwater and they treat you like royalty. Best customer service I’ve ever seen.

I’d get the AP. I love Rolex too but it ain’t an AP. IMHO

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote